“A great restaurant”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Swansea, United Kingdom
“A great restaurant”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We visited on a very quiet night being the only diners and 1900hrs. Andrea has a great command of the English language and made a great wine choice for us.

The food was excellent, surrounding were 'rustic'

All in all a good choice

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank RadioTircoed

• Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Fascinating stop”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Restaurant Zum Anker was one of the stops on our Rhine River Valley tour. I had some some research on this trip and was worried about stopping at the restaurant because I had read so many negative reviews. One thing that was consistently wonderful, was Andrea, the restaurant manager, who everyone raved about.

Well, we arrived at the restaurant and we were very warmly greeted by Andrea. She is everything everyone had written about. The food was not bad either, although being chicken, chips and salad, it wasn't really the German meal I had hoped for, but rather a meal you can eat anywhere else in the world. But the serving was very generous and we had to make space to try the dessert.

The decor in the restaurant is fascinating, although it won't be to everyone's taste. There is plenty to see on the walls, ceilings and even in the restrooms. There are lots of antiques and the people on my tour all took photos of the decor, including the amazing restrooms!

We were at this restaurant twice, once for lunch and the second time for wine tasting. The wine tasting was excellent and I ordered two lots of wine which will be delivered to me, as I already had too much weight in my suitcases. The dessert wine and the eis wine were my favourites, so I ordered both.

This is the sort of place that you will either love or loathe. However, the staff are wonderful (especially Andrea), that I will go back again in summer. Every restaurant should have a manager like Andrea.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Ditas56
Cardiff
“An experience not to be missed”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Our first trip to this restaurant was amazing, our host Andrea was brilliant, she demonstrated a wide range of language skills and she was so helpful and entertaining. her warm friendly nature was so relaxing and we felt so special. The food was excellent and plenty of it. We were priviledged to witness first hand just how Andrea works and it was just breathtaking to see her look after a coach party that that just come in, interacting with everyone and providing an in depth knowledge of wine and the food and drinks on offer. We love this experience so much that we make a point of eating here everytime we holiday in Germany.,

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank PBNCardiff
stourbridge
“German wood carvings everywhere!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We stopped here for snack as we didn't want big meal. The place is so elaborately decorated but it is something to see. I can't speak for those who have been here on cruise stop but we certainly were well looked after....we had chicken and chips and a lovely salad and also my son had the platter which was all eaten, service was great and we were spoken to in very good English.

2 Thank janep197
Delhi
“A most avoidable restaurant!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is one restaurant I would never advise anyone to go to! Decor is weird, dark and oppressive. The owner is loud, arrogant and rude. When we finished and wanted to get out into the open, she would not get our bill till she served everyone dessert. When I said she should have someone helping her she said, 'I have only two hands'. her ice wine was overpriced and unfortunately we went back for the wine tasting after our cruise! I suspect she and the tour operator have a deal, because even though lunch is included in the tour the drinks are over priced! We actually groaned when we realised we had to get in there a second time within a few hours.

• Visited July 2012