All reviewsprivate gatesand dunesbig daddynational parksesriem canyonyogurttwo nightswilderness safarisearly morning tripgreat dinnerguide michaelginger beerreusable water bottleskeep coollong drivesleeping areasundowner drinks
Reviewed July 17, 2018

I had the opportunity to stay at the Kulala in June 2018 and was extremely impressed with the lodge, amenities, hospitality, and tours. From the very moment my plane touched down, Richard (my guide) was waiting at the airstrip. He was to be my guide for the duration of my 2 days. He was incredibly impressive. He had a broad knowledge base on wildlife, desert ecology/life, geology, and history and was very patient at answering questions. Another elderly university professor who walked with a cane arrived on a separate place immediately after me, and Richard was very professional and kind throughout our days together.

The staff at the Kulala was incredibly hospitable. Christopher would prepare ginger beer upon our return from morning or afternoon drives to the desert, dunes, Deadvlei, or Sessriem Canyon, which was extremely welcome. The food was terrific as well, and we had the opportunity to eat dinner under the amazing star light both nights. The service was just fine and very attentive.

I should also note that our manager (Kaephus - I might have misspelled...my apology) was extremely helpful and kind in assisting with my needs and departure.

The dunes and Deadvlei were amazing, and Sessriem Canyon was impressive. I enjoy taking photos, and this was the place for that. I should also mention that I enjoy astrophotography, and the absolute dark sky was perfect for taking photos of the Milky Way.

I would definitely return here as I had a fabulous time. The staff was very kind and helpful and especially attentive. An absolutely amazing trip, and I thank Richard, Christopher, and Kaephus for taking care of me so well. Much appreciated!
-Vincent

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank L1896ZWvincentl
WildernessSafaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2018

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for your beautiful review and high praises for Richard and all our great staff. There is nothing quite as magical as the Namib Sky - we hope you got some great photos and would love to see them, perhaps you can even submit them into the Wilderness Safaris 20018 photo competition which will be launched soon on our website.

Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

A very unique place to stay. Checkin was great and we received an extensive orientation. We asked for a thermos of hot water to be delivered upon wake up each morning in order that we could make coffee in the tent. This never happened.
We slept on the small elevated platform at the rear of the room to view the stars. Wonderful experience. We only stayed on the platform for a few hours and then returned to bed.
Our tour guide, Raquel, was very knowledgeable about the area. We visited the san dunes and I climbed one. It was very hard physically and took quite some time as the wind was very strong. I would have appreciated the guide telling me to take water with me.
The room itself was nice and well appointed.
A couple of areas for improvement: not all the toilets adjacent to reception had locks on the doors which results in other guests sometimes wandering in. There was a few hand towels that everyone dried their hands on: not very hygienic.
The dining room staff require more training. More than once we walked into the dining room and staff just stood to the side watching and did not readily assist us. I had trouble understanding what they were saying. The filtered coffee was terrible. However, the meals were very nice and of a high quality.

I was surprised that the lodge only used plastic bottled water. This does not fit with their charter of being environmentally friendly. All other lodges we stayed at gave us reusable water bottles.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dean874
WildernessSafaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2018

Dear Dean874,

Thank you for your great review and kind words, we are glad to hear that despite the few hiccuos you encountered your overall stay with us was enjoyable and you had a good time exploring the dunes. We are sorry to hear about the service issues you encouneterd and that you did not receive hot water with your wake up call. We will be sure to have a look at the locks on the toilets in the main area.

Reviewed July 12, 2018

The staff at Kulala Desert lodge are true hospitality professionals. From the moment that they pick you up at the airport to the moment that they drop you off. I have to give a shout out to African Adventures travel for the itinerary. They knew exactly what we were looking for. Our guide at the lodge,Castro, was very knowledgeable. He took us to great locations for photography. The accommodations were very clean and comfortable. The rooftop deck came in handy for night photography. Food was very good and plentiful. Our highlight was the dawn hot air balloon ride.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 821eileenr
WildernessSafaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2018

Dear 821eileenr,

A balloon flight over the Kulala Wilderness Reserve offers a truly memorable desert experience soaring above the magnificent dunes, with a Champagne breakfast to look forward to at the landing site. This activity is at additional cost and is closed on 25 December, 1 January and from 15 January to 15 February, so be sure to book early and avoid disappointment.

Thank you for your wonderful review and we will be sure to pass along your high praises to Castro.

Reviewed June 21, 2018

We arrived here having travelled along some rough roads and were greeted with a drink and cold towels. It is in a beautiful location facing the sand dunes in the Sossusvlei area and the sunsets and sunrises were wonderful. We had an inclusive package, and booked the Sossusvlei early morning trip and Sesriem Canyon trip. Our guide Stanley looked after us well and one highlight was drinking G&T in the private park watching the sunset. The colours were wonderful. The rooms are cabins carefully blended into the landscape so they look very natural. We had a walk around the are which was interesting.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
WildernessSafaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2018

Dear Mark F,

Thank you for the wonderful review, we are delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay with us as well as all your time spent out on activities. A visit Sesriem Canyon is always exciting, this fascinating geographical formation is well worth a visit. The result of millions of years where water carved its way into the earth, Sesriem Canyon is today three kilometres long. Views from the top are breathtaking while walks through the canyon reveal distinct geographical layers which were laid down over aeons.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

Situated facing the sand dunes in the Sossusvlei area, the service and facility are great. All inclusive package, so it includes soujourns for animal viewing, sunset views from the mountains, early morning sunrise trips, etc. Nice “cabin” with ensure bath and netted beds. Staff very attentive. Wonderful trip to Sossusvlei and Deadvlei with knowledgeable guide.

DARK at night - best stargazing experience I’ve ever had.

Food plentiful and good.

Two minor points - Wi-Fi limited (probably better off if we left it behind), and noise from other cabins travels at night if you’re trying to sleep.

Overall - a marvelous experience. Would recommend to others and stay here again.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
WildernessSafaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2018

Dear USMA74,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are glad to see how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the beautiful recommendation. We are glad to report that we will be updating the wifi coverage in camp and hope that this will no longer be an issue.

Kind regards