We stayed here in June for two nights, and we disagreed on how many stars, I would have given 3 stars, my wife a generous 4.
It's 4 stars then.
Everything was up to normal Wilderness Safari standards; fantastic room, friendly and professional staff, good but not outstanding food for dinner, and good breakfasts. Because we stayed in Namibian winter, no way were we sleeping under the stars (night time temperatures around 2 degrees).
I have two gripes, firstly the morning drive to the dunes was rather expensive and unimaginative. We were simply driven to Dune 45, where everyone else in the park goes to, climbed the dune then drove on to the Dead Vlei for a further walk and a bit of lunch. The lodge has a private entrance to the park, but this only opens at the same time as the main entrance, so doesn't actually gain you very much (probably about 20minutes headstart to to Dune45). No problems with the guide, who was helpful and informative, I guess I was hoping that local knowledge and over N$1000 might have enabled us to avoid the crowds a bit.
The second gripe is that whilst we were on the drive, the stone walls and floor in our bathroom and shower were treated with some sort of sticky, smelly sealer. The result of this was that nothing was usable until late in the evening, and the shower floor remained tacky throughout our stay. To be fair, we did get an apology, but it did rather detract from our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With vistas directly onto majestic red dunes, Kulala Desert Lodge is the closest location to Sossusvlei, and perhaps the lodge with the most spectacular views. The lodge's accessibility, and its large, friendly lounge and dining area with wrap-around veranda make this oasis in the desert perfect for families and friends. Visits to the dunes and vleis of Sossusvlei are highlights, along with fascinating desert wildlife and the overwhelming magnitude, and sense of adventure on the Kulala Wilderness Reserve. • 23 kulalas (3 family) • nature drives and walks • Sossusvlei excursion (via private gate) • Sesriem visit • sleep out deck • horse riding • hot air balloon ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels and HotelQuickly so you can book your Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kulala Desert Hotel Namib-Naukluft Park
- Wilderness Safaris Kulala Desert Lodge Sossusvlei, Namibia - Namib-Naukluft Park