The Namib desert around Sossusvlei is majestic, the quiteness of the desert very impressive. Overlooking a plain and some hills, the lodge has a wonderful view and it is rewarding just to lie in a chair and to drink in the atmosphere.
The lodge has small stone villas with large glass fronts to the deswrt. They are arranged in a way that everyone has a great view without seeing another villa. Furniture and equipment are fine, just in our villa the lock of the terrace door was defect. The central pool is small and at the time we visited it was open for guests but nearby construction work was done.
There are plenty of antilopes, zebras, schakals and hyenas to be seen. The few cheetas are even more shy then the other animals which don't let you nearer than 30 meters, and we did not see one.
They have a obseratory there and also an astronomer available in the evening to show the many stars you can see in the desert. This guy from Georgia, a retired firefighter, was very enthusiastic and forthcoming and competent as an astronomer. However, they switch astronomers every few months so it is possible you will meet another person.
While the service was OK on the surface, we still did miss the spirit of excellence we experienced in other &beond lodges. The impression was more that the staff just happened to work there and did not have the enthusiasm for the animals or this strive for perfect service we saw elsewhere.
Nor did they put the guest above their own desires. Two examples: we did not expect the construction worker to wash down his sweat and dust from a day standing around in the heat into the pool open for the guests (standing around because of 8 workers in average only one did any work). Neither did the friend of my son expect to share the lounge with the kitchen staff watching soccer on TV.
So while we still believe that &beyond is an excellent lodge operator, this specific lodge was not satisfying.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by rugged mountains and the magical sand dunes of the Namib Desert, andBeyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge is the ultimate escape. An oasis of peace and comfort in the midst of the world's oldest desert, the Lodge offers a cosy and comfortable refuge in the vastness of this strange and beautiful land. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels and Agoda so you can book your andBeyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- And Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
- &Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Hotel Namib-Naukluft Park
- Sossusvlei Mountain Hotel
- Sossusvlei Mountain Namib Desert
- AndBeyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge Namibia - Namib-Naukluft Park