“Nice Time but could have been slightly better”

Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tullow
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Myself & my wife have just returned from a 3 night stay at Mount Wolseley. Upon arriving at the hotel to check in it looked wonderful from the outside and just as impressive on the inside. We presented ourselves at the desk and were met by a very serious looking receptionist who could do with improving her customer care. Firstly the greeting was very robotic and cold with no eye contact, while we were being dealt with the phone rang at least 4 times and was answered each time by the receptionist. But we would not let that dampen our sprits and went to our room which was quite nice & pleasing. The bed was comfortable but as with other reviews the pillows could be more sleeper frendly, the bathroom was excellent and the tv has more than 2 stations so I would not pay any attention to previous untruths about this. The hotel is strangely located in a very very quiet town which has not got much to offer so if you intend to stay and go on the town this is not the right choice however if you want to relax it is perfect. The hotel seemed to be very busy with young couples meeting the wedding team we must have seen at least 10-15 couples in the 3 days we were there. The bar is nice but not the place if you want to catch a game on tv however they did show the Leinster game on the friday night which was great but you wouldnt be jumping about cheering on your team it would not fit in. The bar food was ok noting to scream home about but on the friday night we went to Fredricks and this is fine dining at its best after having our food I thought Gordon Ramsey was going to come out and ask us how are food was, service here was excellent and we really felt spoiled by the dining staff. The health club was great has a lot of good equipment and on our first day we enjoyed the pool and the spa area but unfortinitly the second day after working out we went to the pool where there was a young family in the water one being a infant and as I was about to decend the steps noticed a piece of dipper floating towards me so I quickly left the area and had to make do with the sauna & steam room. Nice time I would stay again but would not be rushing down the N81 to get there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 20, 2011

Had my Christmas party here in December and had absolutely no complaints..... Great service, friendly staff, beautiful food and an overall gorgeous hotel. Would recommend to anyone for any occasion!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I recently booked this hotel for our Work Christmmas Party and was extremely impressed by the level of service we received. Had no problems with the booking and they even offered us alternative starters for our the dinner menu which was originaly their set Christmas Menu as some of our staff don't eat fish - they immediately offered us alternative dishes which I thought was great. The food and service was amazing on the night we had a party of 24 and everyone wa really impressed with the food. The hotel itself is beautiful and the room we were in was a great size... fabulous room for a Wedding infact the hotel is perfect for a large party or Wedding Venue... very elegant! Our bedroom was really big as well - spotlessly clean and very comfortable. I loved the old style doors into the bathroom as well they were a great touch. I didn't get a chance to check out the spa but I will as we intend to return to the hotel again as we all thought it was great. We really enjoyed our stay in fact some of us - even after we checked out at 12, went and had lunch in the hotel bar and again the food was delicious. The bar itself is very nice too... the decor of the room is lovely and the seating is all very comfortable. Also all the staff in the bar were very pleasant and friendly as well. I would like to thank all the staff in the hotel for making our stay so enjoyable - I will definitely be returning and I would definitely recommend the hotel to others. Also I'd like to say a massive thank you to Averil who organised our Casino Christmas Party night - we had a fantastic night the Casino and everything was great fun - most enjoyable. I'd just like to say again that the hotel is really beautiful.. ..there is a fabulous driveway up to the hotel and lovely greenery and lawns all around.... perfect for wedding pictures etc. and the hotel lobby is stunning... this hotel is a real must see...

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We held our wedding reception in Mount Wolseley in late Nov 2010 and we have to say it was perfect. All the staff were very professional and their advice and attention to detail was brilliant.The food was absolutely gorgeous - the reception was all and more that we had hoped for. I would not hesitate to recommend Mount Wolseley ... Thank you for everything.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2011

As a regular visitor to Mount Wolseley,I was left very disappointed after my stay at the weekend. I have spent many weekends there and celebrated many birthdays there also. I was really looking forward to a lovely meal in the restaurant. We were seated next to the breakfast buffet and I complained twice about the cold. I could feel a desperate breeze coming from that room and couldn't relax. Between courses I walked out to reception to defrost. It was upsetting as we had brought along my brother and sister in law with us.
After paying the bill,the restaurant manager came over and appologised for the cold,said that the room next to it could not be heated as it had a glass roof!! Two tables beside us were moved when they complained of the cold breeze,as the restaurant wasn't full I can;t understand why we weren't offered a table on the other side and why the restaurant manager waited for us to finish our meal before addressing the problem...by appologising!! The mini-bar in our room had two half bottles of water and a dirty glass in it from a previous visitor.

I've always loved Mount Wolseley but I've noticed a change in it lately,I think standards have dropped. I won't be in a hurry back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
conaatatu, General Manager at Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your recent experience at Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa and Country Club. We consider all comments received to be an invaluable source of information on guest satisfaction. I assure you that all comments play an immeasurable part in our goal to achieve only the highest level of service.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for any inconvenience or annoyance caused as a result of our shortcomings. Having personally investigated the point raised, it would appear that we did not deliver our normal standard of service on the occasion of your stay. As you mentioned we had an issue with the heat over the cold period and please be assured that immediate steps have been taken to ensure no re-occurrence of this regrettable situation.

I very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Country Club in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Odhran Lawlor

Reviewed January 7, 2011

Where do I start. Myself and my husband had shortlisted Mount Wolseley for a potential wedding venue back in 2008 when we got engaged. After visiting at least 8 other venues around the kildare/carlow/laois/wicklow areas we were bitterly dissapointed. By chance we met a represetitive of Mount Wolseley at a wedding fair and from our very first impression we were blown away. I would go as far as to say that our minds were just about made up regarding the hotel from that first meeting without even walking into the hotel.

Our first trip down to tullow did not let us down. We never made an appointment and just wnet down for lunch one day to check it out, without getting any special treatment as we felt some hotels had done previously. That first day, from the food, to the staff, to the service , all were excellent. We then went on to make an official meeting with the hotel to discuss our wedding.

from day one we were ment to feel that we were the only couple in the world getting married. Nothing was too big or small a request. Every single thing we asked of the hotel was done wiht a smile and they even helped us with ideas we had never thought of. For anyone getting married, its the most important thing in your life and you want to put it in the hands of professionals. this is something the staff in Mount Wolseley do to the highest standard.

For the 8 weeks leading up to the wedding I felt I had my own wedding planner which was a relief. Even the night we went down to choose our wedding menu we were bowled over by the service. The restaurent manager is a credit to the hotel and without him and his guidance in our choice of menu i feel we may have got the some of the meal very wrong!

The day itself could not have gone better. We travelled the short distance from Naas to Tullow in less then 30 mins after the cermony ( the new motorway makes the travelling time minimal). The duty manager on the day was like a pirvate secretary and myself and my husband were left to enjoy our long awaited big day and all the business end of things were delt with by the duty manager and the best man and bridesmaids in a fantastic and professional manner. I actually really dont have the words to describe just how fantatic the day was and the hotel exceeded everything we had imagined. Every one of our 300 guests commented on how fantastic the food was. There was plenty of seconds for everyone, anyone wondering on the sorbets for their wedding meal , our vodka and red bull sorbet went down a real treat with everyone :)

The function room is amazing for a wedding and the fact that you have the use of 2 bars goes down very well for any wedding when you have a great crowd, a great band and everyone is really enjoying themselves. The transition from the speeches to the dancing is effortless and I didnt even notice anytime go by unlike other weddings i have been at over the years when you are herded out of the functin room for an hour to clear the dance floor. Not one guest had to move from their seat during this time and it really kept the whole atmoshpere going that had been built up through the day.

We didnt just feel like Mount Wolseley was a wedding venue for us , after all our planning and dealings with the hotel it felt more like we had made friends with the staff and we will always hold a very special place in our hearts for the outstanding hotel and the wonderful staff who work there. The one and only regret we both have is the day is over and we have no more planning to do , but thanks to everyone we have the most wonderful memories.

So many of our friends are getting married over the next 2 years and all we have heard is " how are we ever going to compare to your wedding " .... thank you Mount Wolseley , you will become a permanent fixture on our to do list. Almost 5 months after the big day both ourselves and many guests we had on our day have had many enjoyable meals and stays in the hotel. Not only us but most of our guests have been at pains to reccommend Mount Woslely to anyone who will listen. We have had so many requests to get our vows renewed just so we can re live the fantastic day everyone had in Mount Wolseley!!

We are already looking forward to our next trip down.

Emma and Alvin

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Having stayed in Mount Wolseley in December for the second time, and having been a visitor to the amazing Sanctuary Spa in the hotel on a few occasions, I have to say I couldn't disagree more with some of the negative comments written in the reviews. My experience was nothing but positive for each an every visit. Most recently, I attended the Casino-themed Christmas party and I know I speak for my whole staff when I say the food and entertainment were great and overall it was a really fun night. Some of our group then stayed overnight in extremely comfortable rooms, and at an exceptionally good bed and breakfast rate. From the booking process, right through to our departure, we were always made feel like valued and welcomed customers. I will most definitely be returning to the spa and most likely as a resident of the hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullow
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Seven Oaks Hotel
Seven Oaks Hotel
#3 of 5 in Carlow
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!