“wonderful place to stay for both adults and children”

Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tullow
Reviewed August 27, 2009

from the moment I called ahead to comfirm our check in, to the moment we left we had a very pleasurable experiance. Having two very energentic boys under seven, we needed to stay at a resort that they could also enjoy, and they certainly did at Mount Wolseley!!. The childrens facilities were brilliant, with very friendly staff and lots of activites. My children had an amazing time enjoying every minute and didn't want to leave at the end of the day!! There were magic shows and movie evenings where my husband and myself could have an evening together, and also family nights which we could all enjoy!! We stayed in a house which was brilliant. It was very clean with everything you needed, and if you did need anything else all you had to do was conact Mary the manager. It was due to her warm and extremely friendly service that our stay was perfect. She was always on hand to help, was brilliant with the kids and made us feel extra special. Golfing facilities were great for my husband and the spa was an excellent way for a busy mum to relax. I would highly reccommend Mount Wolseley to everyone, especially for those with young children who also want them to also have a great time. Can't wait for next summer, see you in 2010!!!!
Relaxed mum

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed August 12, 2009

Just returned from a magnificently relaxing three night experience in this hotel Sunday 9th to Wednesday12th August. From reception to service to room and food in Frederick's (dinner), and Aaron's evening bar food, the quality of the experience was nothing short of first class.
Our room was spacious, bright and well appointed and quiet. Though the hotel does not advertise it on their own or the Trip Advisor website, broad band is available free in both bed room and by WiFi in open spaces.
Its location is excellent for travelling and tourism, and while we didn't partake, we have excellent reports of both spa and golf facilities.
Will return! Well done Mount Wolseley.
Seven Oakers
Celbridge

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Mount Wolseley Hotel front of house areas very plush. Internal corridors leading to our room were more run down. Our family room extremely clean but decor dated - bore no resemblence to room pictured on website. Ate in bar on first night - big mistake!! Food nice (pricey) but hoardes of people seeking limited tables, short of staff so was chaotic. There appeared to be 3 entrances into the bar so that didn't help. Meet + greet for parents & kids that night - the coordinator was very unapproachable and disinterested but I filled out the relevent form/disclaimer for the kids club anyway. Next morning in kids club at 10am my form was "lost" so I filled out a second form. Went to check on my kids at 11.30am and my 6 year old daughter (didnt want to stay) was being asked for her room number - yes my form was "lost" again so no contact number for me. Took my daughter out of club, at 12.30 my husband went back to room to find hotel phone ringing - my 7 year old daughter wanted to leave club - and yes my "form" with contact details could not be found again. When I queried this I was told that the problem was my children had a different surname to me......!! Oh and on their first trip out of the club that morning over to play sports, the coordinator warned the kids not to damage the golf course grass "or else" - not the type of way to address young children. However the other staff in the kids club proved very nice on subsequent days, and my kids agreed to go once they hadn't to be with "the bossy lady". Note to management - a simple sticker system with kids name/phone number on it would have prevented all mix-ups. The kids night time activity was restricted to movie nights, which we declined. The fun/games night was off due to illness, and the disco was replaced by a magic show which my girls loved. And so onto the leisure centre. Enjoyed the pool apart from the loose wiring dangling from 4 points - sharp enough to paper cut my daughters foot. Was told the wiring was "for lighting". Only 3 showers in ladies changing room, with shower doors opening out into the corridor to exit door for pool, so very cramped and had to queue to shower. Restaurant food very nice, had 3 dinners with our package but unfortunately had to choose from same set menu every night. Staff generally nice, restaurant manager very helpful. Some staff had limited english leading to confusion over orders/bills. Breakfast service tended to be chaotic. Staff seemed unable to cope with large numbers arriving at once due to wedding parties etc. Impossible to obtain simple items like marmalade/butter/spoons if you needed them. You either had to opt for tea/coffee/toast as soon as you arrived, or take your chances later. One morning we asked for coffee 3 times and were about to leave when it arrived. Overall we found our stay challenging. There appeared to be staff issues re differenciating between hotel guests and the self catering lodges. In the leisure centre we signed names and room number, only to be quizzed as to whether we were hotel/self catering (hotel guests got free towels, self catering had to pay €2!!!). All they had to do was check our entry and see by our room number. In the restaurant again there were room number problems with Tomas in particular very brusque about confirming room numbers and the relevant bookings. So I am summing up by saying nice hotel but many areas require improvement. When checking out we were not even asked if we had enjoyed out stay. Oh and last but not least please sort out the key system for the playground. The hotel playground is based down at the selfcatering lodges, and hotel guests need a swipe card to access it. But playground key is identical to room key, so much confusion as we managed to mix up hotel and playground keys and got locked out of room - aaaagghh! Must be a better way. Mount Wolseley we will not be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I had occasion to spend two nights here with spouse and teenager. From the initial contact with the hotel to organise the stay, to check-out was a pleasure. Absolutely nothing was a problem for the friendly but supremely professional staff. The family room we were given was actually two rooms in one, with a settee bed for our teenager, which she said was extremely comfortable. The food in Frederick's Restaurant was second to none. On the night we were having dinner (included in our package), the new menu was being tried out, and after each course, the waiting staff wanted our opinions to carry back to the Chef. The meal was simply gorgeous. Breakfast was excellent with a varied selection on offer. I will certainly return to this hotel, as we have friends in the area, and would have no hesitation recommending it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank colettemc
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I stayed at Mount Wolseley for two nights for a friends wedding and I have to say, the hotel is gorgeous. The wedding reception / function room / food / staff were all amazing. The bar food the following day is lovely and its just a beautiful hotel and perfect for a night or two away to relax and unwind.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I have to admit that I was a bit wary of staying at this hotel. After reading previous reviews and speaking to some locals I hadn't heard the best of things about Mount Wolseley but I really need not have worried.
We were allowed to check in early which made getting ready for the wedding we were attending so much easier. The hotel is clearly signposted both in Tullow and Carlow towns making it easy to get around. The grounds are lovely and the interior is stylish and spotless.
The meal at the wedding reception was absolutely gorgeous and there was plenty of it too, nobody was left hungry. My only gripe was that the air conditioning was completely insufficient and before long you had alot of sweaty people in all their finery outside trying to catch a breath of air.
Breakfast the next morning was lovely, a good selection of nice things to eat, just want you need after a knees-up the night before.
I'd have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone, in fact if I get the chance I will return.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I'm just back from this hotel and can honestly say with hand on heart that it is lovely. The food was fantastic far better than i had expected. I especially enjoyed the Pork steak wrapped in Parma Ham server with sauteed vegatables and Baked apple. Also the starter of spiced fish cake is amongst the best i have ever tasted. I spoke to other people since who have stayed here and they all agree that on various different occasions the quality has been excelllent. In fact the hotel was so nice i was tempted to write a bad review just to get another nights stay here (kidding!!!!!!). I did not get the chance to play golf while i was here but will certainly be back in the future. Regarding previous comments made about the leisure centre. True the pool floor could do with a slight clean but all in all i found the facilities to be adequate. One note though...... the steam room could benefit a bit from the use of actuall steam.......... This would be my only complaint and in the overall scheme of things did not affect my weekend in any way.

Thoroughly enjoyable......
Thanks to all the staff for making it so.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullow
Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa
#3 of 5 in Carlow
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kilkenny

Been to Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!