“The Customer Is NEVER Right!”

Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tullow
Reviewed August 4, 2008

My friend and I decided to spend the bank holiday weekend at Mount Wolseley as we managed to bag a pretty good offer from a hotel spa specialist website.

On arrival, booking in was quite slow but once we arrived into our room we were very impressed by how clean and modern it was.
The first thing I did was walk over to open the window only to find it had no handle and was bolted shut. We had to make SEVERAL calls to the front desk to have this problem addressed.

We waited around half an hour but no member of staff called to the room, so we left to grab a bite to eat before our first spa treatment. My friend spoke with a manager who assured us that the window would be fixed but when we arrived back to our room, it was still without a handle.

On this occasion however, the manner in which the hotel manager dealt with our problem was satisfactory.
He was very apologetic and when we got back from our spa treatment there was a bottle of champagne with strawberries waiting! This cheered us up!

Our experience in the spa was a little shocking too. As we had both booked Swedish massages, we were looking forward to an hour of pampering. My massage was excellent but my friend was very unhappy with her's, having specifically requested the masseuse work on shoulders over other parts of the body.

When we tried to explain this to the spa manager we were greeted with a very frosty faced supervisor, who kept telling us that we should have booked a different type of massage instead.
She was very stern to the point that we felt we were being unreasonable or were just out to stir trouble.

We left the spa reception and went to relax in one of the spa pools where we chatted and started to wind down from our encounter with the spa manager. But this was further hampered by a member of staff telling us to keep our voices down. It worked - we were speechless by this telling off!

Staff attitudes seem to be the biggest let down in this hotel. With the exception of one lovely girl working in the bar, the restaurant supervisor, and one lovely French girl working on reception, the majority of staff were disinterested in customers, turning their backs on tables in both the bar and restaurant - Fredericks - instead of waiting to see if people needed serving.

If we wanted to order food or drinks, or get our bills, we had to chase down a member of the bar staff at the tills rather than have them come to us.

The food in the bar however is top notch, and surpasses that of the restaurant. My advice is not to book the overpriced dinner menus in Fredericks and to stay in the bar and order from that menu instead. The food was exceptional so compliments to the chef!

Fredericks, while a nice enough atmosphere, had very substandard food and staff were very slow to tend to requests. We were waiting on a coffee order for 15 mins and had to ask staff four times before it came to the table. When it arrived we had to gulp it down as we were heading into Carlow town for the evening.

Other annoyances included the lack of robes and slippers in the rooms, which my friend had requested several times especially as we were staying there for a spa weekend break. They arrrived only when we had the manager in our room trying to fix our window...only then did a member of staff rush out to get the garments.

The mount wolseley is NOT a four star hotel service no matter how much it would like to believe it is. The level of customer care is substandard and you are often left with a bad taste over the way issues/problems are handled by staff.

When we were checking out, we were behind two customers who were overcharged in their separate rooms. When it came to our bill, we were overcharged by 90 euro - and while I felt so sorry for the young receptionist charged with explaining how this could happen - the fact that so many other customers were in the same boat was very disconcerting.

I did want to speak with a manager but there was a queue of unhappy guests ahead of me all waiting to do the same...we left soon after, found a quicker route back to Dublin and agreed that we would probably not be back any time soon!

And on that note, if driving from Dublin head for the N7 towards Kildare, M9 and then through Castledermot to Tullow instead of the recommended route via Brittas and Blessington on the AA Route Planner website - the first route will get you to and from in just over an hour and uses dual carriageways and motorways rather than secondary roads advised by the AA.

Hats off to the local Tullow taxi drivers too who are very friendly and helpful...a taxi ride from the hotel to Carlow Town should work out at 25 euro...

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,286)

Reviewed July 30, 2008

two of us stayed in this hotel last may for my BF's birthday, i had been before but stayed in the self catering houses on the grounds of the hotel and enjoyed it so was eager to spend a few nights in the hotel itself.

we arrived on a friday night after work, wrecked from the drive and all the rest, we were greeted by a slightly grumpy receptionist who rushed through checking us in and sent us on our way without as much as a welcome, enjoy your stay etc etc.

anyway, we went up to our room to find it like a sauna, and no instructions on how to use the aircon, otherwise the room was fabulous, huge comfortable bed, thick linens, wonderfully excessive amount of pillows, bathroom was fantastic, with bath and shower serperate and lovely toiletries from the hotel spa, also loved the fact that the loo itself was a seperate 'room' so to speak. bedroom was cleaned to within an inch of itself, the next day, fresh towels, pillows puffed etc etc. Spa was fantastic, staff were great, very chilled out and quiet without the feeling that you have to go around on your tippy toes.

problems arose when... dinner in the fredericks was awful, overpriced, tiny portions, luke warm temperature, we were starving after it, and when i asked for water i later found out that we were charged €8.00 for it, and was rudely repremanded when i questioned it, we resented having to order room service after spending €120.00 on what was like kiddie portions.

little touches were missing, such as some sort fo afternoon tea service as there is ample seating areas which are lovely to relax in and have a read of the papers which are provided, but would be made much more enjoyable if you could have a cup of tea or refershment while relaxing, without beeing made feel like your putting the bar man out by asking for same.

the bar is nice, but looks like its trying to hard to be an old style drawing room.

bit dissapointing that they advertise the amazing grounds, later to find out that ony if your are golfing may you take advantage, which only leaves you with a horrible car park to get some fresh air in.

the boutique is horrificly over priced for a shop that is located in the lobby of a hotel.

the worst problem of all arose when checking out.

they had put a hold of €250.00 on my card, upon checking in which they later admitted they were not meant to do, which was also apparently supposed to clear itself after 24 hours or something, and it did not.

so upon checking out they made a boo boo in my card transaction, which they vehemntly denied, which involved practically cleaning out my back account. it took almost three weeks for this money in full to hit back into my account, during which they phoned me everyday looking for me to pay the bill even though they were holiding my money in limbo somewhere, and at one stage almost had me apologising for what had happened, I fully except that it was human error and that mistakes are made but the manner in which it was dealt with left much to be desired, not so much as an apology or acceptance of the fault on their part.

the bill in total came to nearly €900.00, and we left with an awful taste in our mouths having parted with that amount of money, for poor service and to be treated as if they were paying us to stay there, we could have had a week in spain for that money!

the hotel itself is great with a lot of potential but the rudeness of SOME, most were great, of the staff lack of comon sense and hospitality will certainly not have us running back.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2008

We stayed here in May for 2 nights as a 'midweek' special offer. My husband had been here previously for a conference and thought I would enjoy the hotel.

As we walked in the front door of the hotel we were met by the scent of lilies, which I just love. However, the receptionist was not over friendly or efficient, and we had to remind her that we had booked an executive room. This overlooked the golf course - and the very large car park!!

While the room was very spacious and airy, there were no instructions for the air conditioning, which remained stubbornly set at 25 degrees. Also the walk in shower proved to be jammed on 'boiling' and help had to be sought for this. There were no robes or slippers in the room, as there should have been, although this was rectified when it was pointed out.

On the first night we ate in Frederick's restaurant as part of our package. As the dinner costs E55 per head normally, this was good value, and the food was excellent, well presented and so flavoursome. On our second night we ate in the bar, also very good and the portions were enormous!

We did not use the spa on this occasion but did use the pool, which was good. The leisure centre receptionist was both friendly and efficient, and the changing room was well laid out. I like the proovision of small plastic bags in which to take your wet costume away with you - a thoughtful touch.

The only really 'down' to our stay was the golfing society that was staying at the same time, and I recognise that the hotel cannot be held responsible for the attitude of individuals/groups. However, I had occasion to reprimand the group for the language they were using to the receptionist, and their language and behaviour in the bar that night was such to make other guests feel most uncomfortable and unwelcome.

The hotel is lovely, but not sure I would return.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This is a family hotel only, not for couples or singletons.

A relaxing stay it wouldnt be due to alot of children unless of course you are looking for somewhere for the kids to run about!!
The rooms are similar to that of a Jurys Inn, they are basic but ok.

The hotel itself is lovely, the staff are nice, there are lovely walks and the golf green is superb.

Breakfast is 'ok' diluted orange juice etc!

Beware the spa costs extra and was booked out for the 2 days we were there which meant we couldnt do what he had gone there to do!

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed May 2, 2008

For a silver wedding anniversary treat we paid £599 for ferry and five nights b and b here, with Stena line. The hotel had overbooked and tried to persuade us to move into a self catering lodge. We said no, but eventually had to move out for one night. We were given two meals free to compensate this inconvenience and Stena line refunded our Stena plus seats upgrade.

On arrival our room was noisy, with what seemed to be an aircon or extractor fan directly above us. There was a large chip in the bath enamel, stains on the ottoman and welcome fruit basket was mouldy. Not much of a view either. We had looked at the hotel web site and had high expectations. There were no bathrobes, and when we asked for these were told it was because the hotel was busy. We asked to move to a quiet room, but were only offered a smaller room with swimming pool machinery outside which seemed just as noisy. Decided to stick with our first room.

Restaurant and bar excellent. Lovely staff and food. Pool very quiet, clean and pleasant. You had to have, or buy, a swimming hat.

The self catering lodge was ok, large and modern, but silly things like no battery for tv remote spoiled it! Some way from hotel, so not easy to walk there for quick swim.

For our last night we were allowed back to the hotel. Our room was at the front of the hotel with good outlook. More what we had expected, with large bath. Again no bathrobes, but we had given up complaining by then, and when we found our toilet didn't flush, we just removed cistern lid and operated it manually.

At checkout we told them about the toilet and said we had not enjoyed our break, they were not concerned. Then they tried to charge us for wine and a meal we hadn't had. All in all, not a relaxing time at all, quite stressful and we weren't sorry to be heading home!

Grounds of hotel were beautifully maintained, but no one except golfers were allowed to walk in them so that was disappointing as we had good weather and would have liked a walk.

This was my first visit to Ireland and I would like to return but not to this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank J_ASouthWest
Reviewed February 4, 2008

My husband & I stayed in Mount Wolseley 2 years ago and had a wonderful weekend. As a surprise for Christmas hubbie booked it again and I am pleased to say it lived up to expectations second time round.
The overwhelming thing that made the hotel great during our stay was the professionalism, courtesy and helpfulness of their staff. Whoever trains them in customer service is doing a great job. The hotel is no longer run by the Hilton and I think if anything it has improved as a result. The owners obviously have put a special emphasis on customer service and it is wonderful, without being overbearing.
The bedroom was of a high standard, spacious with comfy beds, the bar area is great (like a grand drawing room) and we had great food there and in the restaurant, which has an extensive wine list to suit all pockets. The leisure centre has been renovated since our last visit and is really lovely with a great pool, jacuzzi, sauna etc, and the spa was wonderful.
We did not get to sample the golf this time because the course was closed due to heavy frost. I had a beautiful massage in the spa and really switched off in their "relaxation room".
Our only complaint was that when we arrived and called down to confirm the times of our golf and spa treatment they had no record of the booking made 3 weeks previously. However due to the professionalism of the staff both problems were sorted out very quickly.
There are little touches that make this hotel great for me, the pleasant smiles from the staff, the banter when initiated, the bottles of water at turn-down, the complimentary newspaper in the morning, the great food and the relaxing atmosphere. All in all this is a great place to relax and unwind, go with nothing more strenuous on the agenda than a walk, a swim or a round of golf andf you will come back with batteries recharged.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Rosemarie63
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I have just returned with my husband and son from this hotel. We stayed on a one night special and couldnt wait to get there after seeing the website. Sadly it was very disappointing. Our room was a family one but whilst it was a good size, it was quite shabby and cheap. Certainly not what I would consider 4*. I requested a change of room but was told it was the last family room. We were overlooking a roof with leaking pipes which kept us awake all night. The only good thing to report was the dinner in Fredericks which was nice but we were 25 minutes waiting on dessert and left without. Staff didnt seem to be bothered about our unhappiness with room or non arrival of dessert which was even more frustrating. Certainly would not recommened this hotel and will never return ourselves

Stayed: January 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tullow
Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa
#3 of 5 in Carlow
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kilkenny

Been to Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!