“J&V”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coolangatta, Australia
“J&V”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hosts Chris and Eileen are very friendly, welcoming and interesting. Everything was perfect and we would love to stay again.

We arrived from the ferry on a very cold and wet night. The natural warmth in the lounge room was the first highlight. Our room was large and the bed very comfortable. The ensuite met all our needs. The breakfast was as good as our high expectations having read other reviews.

In the end though, when all the facilities are very good, the difference is often the hosts. Archways shines. Thanks.

John & Val

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jdhvjh
archways, Owner at Archways, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thanks guys, we enjoyed the conversation, really interesting and some great travelling pointers. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I think they can accommodate up to 12, but a friend block-booked Archways for 8 girlies a couple of Wednesdays ago to celebrate a birthday; yet another decade, our age range is 40's to 70's, half the party golfed the Rosslare links, arriving windswept and frozen to a warm and competent hostess. Myself with a broken ankle, t'was one of the few outings of those first 6 weeks of plaster and crutches, the cold gets to you easily and energy levels are below par. All I wanted was a mug of boiling water even though there was an espresso machine in each bedroom!! Beside the baby-grand piano Eileen & Chris' centerpiece a roaring log fire set the tone and a feast fit for a king awaited us.
Freshened up we assembled for bubbly around 6pm and were handed a cup of warming white winter root vegetable soup, the 13 different dishes we were served over the course of the evening were paired into 6 courses reminiscent of the 50's the 60's 70's, 80's, 90's & you guessed the desserts belonged to the "Naughties". After the soup and before we went into the dining room we enjoyed platters of Profiteroles stuffed with smoked salmon-ricotta, & chicken liver parfait, .
The impressive table was elegantly dressed and (apart from my own good brown) I rarely eat bread but so tasty was the flavoured oil I couldn't stop myself. The pearl barley wild mushroom risotto was novel and accompanied by a selection of 60's prawn & chicken bouches, even the humble curried egg. The 70's brought Scallops 3 different ways (one really better than the next, Aisan tones involved) AND goujons of ling with homemade tartare naturally. It was done in a fine maize flour batter, neither the ling nor the corn can compare to my last goujon by a young lady from B'stown who batters Kilmore Quay lemon sole beautifully.
Then the 80's lemon & lime quenelle beside a Martini glass of Bloody-Mary Sorbet, that was fun and zinging. Nothing will ever compare to the (90's) quail-Scotch-egg made with duck instead of pork, but Chris does make his own sausages and black-pudding, but let me finish the dinner party first before I tell you about the wonderful breakfast. The main; a baked rooster oozing with butter and short ribs of Hereford beef, by which time I really felt I could not possibly eat any more, but there was very little left for my doggy bag let me tell you. There were 3 mini desserts served on a plate of 3 conjoined squares, I only remember a cute little yokie-me-bob with scrumptious creme brulee glistening at me. When the birthday cake of passion-fruit baked cheesecake (I brought from Linda Larkin's D'Lush Cafe in Wexford Arts Center) came all lit up we heartily lifted the roof to sing happy birthday but implored Eileen not to attempt to serve it but to refrigerate it to bring home the next day with any leftover bottles of bubbly our birthday girl so kindly supplied for her girl-friends. The atmosphere would put you in mind of the Frank Harte Ballad 'The Charladies Ball' "We had champagne that night night but we'd real pain the next morning, the night that we danced at the charladies ball" The vases of daffodils abound inspired many's a recitation from Wordsworth to Yates. We enjoyed a singsong around the piano and as the embers of the fire signified the end of a great night, Eileen gently poured a night-cap of Hennessy brandy for a few of us and pointed to a couple of light switches before she wished us a goodnight.
So we all met for a leisurely breakfast, and although I'm in the business myself I couldn't resist the idea of homemade puddings and sausage, 8 of us ordered the full Irish and we didn't get tricky about about eggs ,sunny, poached, scrambled or otherwise, we just let Chris do his thing, (we now had total faith in Chris and Eileen and we were already making promises to make it, like 'Dinner for one' an annual event!) we were miraculously served in about 10/15 minutes and I didn't bother with the sideboard of fresh fruit treats, homemade yogurts etc, because the Marmalade was homemade too and as good as my own, the little tea pots too were shiney, thermally insulated, generously made with a big smile, YES builders tea for me, Lady Gray beside me and I just had to have a cup of coffee too mmmm. Cherry tomatoes baked and propped onto a crispy 'Pat O Neill' rasher dripping in the yellow yolk of a real egg, ah what more could you ask for.
Ready to face the world, escape the cast, like a butterfly from it's cocoon I left Archways invigorated and full of 'joie de viver' in ways I cannot describe.
I was afraid I might be cold in bed I had become accustomed to a hot water-bottle or two for the injured leg, and much to my delight when I got under the feather/down duvet I was toasty and had a great sleep. There was even a waterproof seat in the wet-room style bathroom to rest my weary bones while I washed. Spoiled. The only problem is, there isn't an Archways at every airport and port of call. (well at least it is only ten minutes down the road from me and it is the place I will have in mind for the next 'Gathering' ! ).
God bless your hospitality Chris and Eileen and may your hearts be always open. Beir bua.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cuasnog
archways, Owner at Archways, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
What can I say, Your too kind.
Both Eileen and I really enjoyed the whole stay. Your company, the opportunity to cook for real food lovers and the craic.
Thanks again and come again soon, it was great fun.
Chris and Eileen
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed for a few days for my wife's birthday.
The room was clean and the bed comfy, the bad room was clean and had nice fittings, but the radiator was tiny so that means the bathroom was to cold to have a comfy bath.
The flat screen could not show the national TV channels only satelite channels.

On the evening of my wife's birthday we had a nice meal, the only thing I could say is: Dear Chris if the backed potatoes and parsnips are cook all live out of them, don't serve them.

Part from the minor issues we would recommend to stay at there B&B.

Thanks for the hospitality!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vincent z
archways, Owner at Archways, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thanks for your review.
At the time you stayed we were in the final stages of implementing a complete renewable energy system. This may have affected the heating levels but, I will look at the heating in that bathroom and upgrade it if it does not perform.
Sorry about the Baked vegetables, a new concept which obviously didnt work. I won't try it again!!
Will look at the TV Problem, all Irish channels should be available.
Thanks for the pointers and we hope to see you again

Chris and Eileen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had an ovenight stay here after arriving from Pembroke. The Weather was cold and wet , but the welcome and roaring fire made up for that. We were e-mailed by Eileen about a month prior our stay suggesting a meal on arrival which we accepted - three courses for approx 25 EURO each. Great value and well prepared.The meal was fantastic and great value as was breakfast the next day. The room and een-suite were spacious, well apointed and very cozy. Chris and Eileen were the perfect hosts; if we ever get the opportunity to visit Ireland again we will be staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tricia B
archways, Owner at Archways, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you.
We hope the rest of your trip went well and look forward to seeing you again.
Chris & Eileen
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you need to stay in the Rosslare area, Archways should be the first hotel you consider. Your hosts, Eileen and Chris, are the friendliest, not to mention the most competent, hosts you will find anywhere. Rooms are clean and modern, the breakfasts are gourmet, and the conversation always wonderful. All at a fair price. In addition, you are ten minutes from the ferry, and close to the Rosslare strand, where you will find the excellent La Marina restaurant. We stayed the night we arrived in Ireland and the night before departure, and would most certainly do it again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ric M
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Eileen and Chris have spent years in the food and service business and it shows at Archways. Anyone staying at Archways should opt to have dinner here. Chris prepares the food with a passion for all things fresh and local. We were fortunate enough to have smoked mackerel which he had prepared that afternoon. The taste was lovely and the fish was moist with a wonderful smoky taste. Chris also makes incredible sausage and guests should be sure to get this for breakfast. Eileen is a charming hostess and makes everyone feel comfortable. I especially enjoyed sharing dinner with the other guests and trading travel information.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here on arrival on ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare and on the return trip too. Had the evening meal on arrival and it was absolutely delicious, do not stay here without having the 3-course meal, Chris is an excellent Chef! Breakfast delicious with a huge choice and the owners are so friendly and hospitable, they could not do any more for us - Irish hospitality once again at its very best! We had a bit of car trouble on our return and they were so kind to us all. We will definitely be back. Make sure you visit, you will return for sure - thank you so much for everything, we won't forget you ...

Room Tip: We actually stayed in the annex to the house as we requested this as it is a bigger room with more r...