“How good can it get?”
Review of Schloss Elmau

and 1 more site!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elmau
Reviewed June 29, 2014

A luxury hotel located in heaven. The spa and the four pools are wonderful and the healthy spa restaurant serves deep fried battered prawns over wok fried fresh vegetables with deep fried samosas. Now that is a hotel that understands healthy eating! The Italian restaurant is the one to go to,the food is excellent and the wine choices are just great. Try the Merlino Dolomiti with cheese just great.
We have visited in winter and summer,there is always plenty to do and an even greater sense of space and comfortable chairs and sofas when space is needed.
I would put this hotel in the top 10 in the world and on Saturday evening there is a concert of high quality music from 7-8 pm, the programme is varied and really gives the evening a focus.
My only concern is that it will close for 2 weeks in 2015 to host a G8 summit. This hotel is far too good for politicians.

Room Tip: Every side of the building has a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Susan2395,

"How good can it get?", that was your question, well we try to make it better each and every day! As soon as we stop doing that, we will lose that special spark that makes Elmau, Elmau. Thank you for the kind words and for the praise on the restaurant Fidelio. In our Spa Restaurant Ananda our menu is divided into two sections, one to nourish soul (regular offering) and one to nourish your heart (healthy eating, vegan and vegetarian) and we find our guests always have something to choose from in this format. Thank you again and please let me know prior to your next visit.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Schloss Elmau is absolutely amazing!!! Our family recently spent 5 days there this past June. The setting is breathtakingly beautiful: the Bavarian alps, lush pines and greenery with rolling hills are its backdrop. The hotel is both a wellness hotel and family resort. There are 4 pools throughout the property to choose from and relax in. The spa is full service and our entire family all took advantage of the fitness classes offered and spa treatments of course. The hotel also has 4-5 wonderful restaurants to eat in and we enjoyed trying everyone of them. We all loved starting our day having breakfast in the La Salle restaurant each morning. They have a great breakfast buffet! As for non spa activities, there are numerous trails throughout the area. One of the shortest hikes is a 30 minute steep walk up to the Elmauer Alm. The Alm is a small Alpine Inn where you can rest and get a sausage to eat or beer to drink. There is also 1.5 hour hike from the hotel that takes you into the nearby picturesque town of Mittenwald where you can have lunch and sightsee. Along the way you will come to the two lakes: Lautersee and Ferchensee which are beautiful. There are restaurants at the lakes as well and we chose to eat at the first lake, Ferchensee. Hotel staff is available to pick you up if you're too tired to travel back which you probably will be. As for the staff, everyone there is wonderful and very attentive!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Terri R
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Terri R,

I can only thank you for your kind words. We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and the surrounding areas. We look forward to welcoming you again during your next European Trip!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

When finally driving around the bend and seeing Elmau lying ahead in its beautiful setting - I already feel stress falling off my shoulders. The Yoga retreats in recent years have been wonderful! Having breakfast at the Ananda afterwards without the kids and dinner in the evening in a true family atmosphere - I love this combination. The staff takes good care of me and my needs, remembers me and my likes and dislikes. Thus there is great continuity which adds tremendously to my feeling of being utterly welcome.
For the luxury I am able to enjoy, the marvellous spa environment and outstanding Yoga teachings, the world class concerts, fast internet access, let alone the beautiful surroundings and more - I find the cost quite adequate.
I cannot wait for my next visit!

Room Tip: I spend so little time in my very cosy little room on the 3rd floor, main building - so it fits my n...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Swanni U
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Swanni U,

It is always a pleasure for us to welcome back guests. The fact that you enjoy Ananda so much and that you see all the hard work that Johannes Mikenda and his spa team have invested into our Yoga program (with over 20 retreats a year) makes us very happy. Please let me know how we can make your stay more enjoyable (even in your cosy little room on the 3rd floor) prior to your next visit.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Based on other reviews and the website, I knew I was in for a treat, but my expectations were exceeded at the Scloss Elmau. I stayed three nights with my parents and it was just an incredible experience from start to finish. We arrived by train from Munich and the hotel picked us up from the station. On arrival we were taken straight to our room, a suite, which while not overly large, was more than sufficient, plus had a balcony, sitting room, and complimentary minibar. Even in April with snow still on the ground the property is beautiful, I can only imagine what it looks like in the summer. The spa was beyond spectacular, one of the best I've ever experienced and incredibly relaxing, just what I needed. The restaurants were exceptional and on-site concert was a really nice touch. It's definitely a splurge, but one worth making. I cannot recommend it enough, it's truly special in every way.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank ElizaDinDC
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2016

Dear ElizaDinDC,

I must honestly apologize for having missed responding to your review. But here I am two years later saying Thank you!!! Please let me know if you are ever in the area again and in need of a place to stay!

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Yes, fairy tale castles do exist! Driving along the narrow, somewhat windy road up into the German Alps you come upon an open field, bordered by some seriously majestic mountains. As you turn the corner, you can’t help but to be drawn to a vision that at first doesn’t even seem real. The breathtaking Schloss Elmau. You almost have to rub your eyes in disbelief.

The castle was rebuilt fairly recently after a fire destroyed much of the original structure in the mid 2000’s. However, the restoration process was painstakingly carried out—yielding the perfect combination of cupolas, towers, grand stair cases with modern wood elements, glass, and art pieces, and just pure elegance. When you walk in, you immediately know this isn’t your ordinary castle hotel (if there is such a thing!).

The rooms vary in size and style according to where they are situated: the original castle section, or the new-ish Wetterstein Wing (named for the imposing mountain facing all/most of the rooms). We have stayed in both areas, and found each location offered a different set of charms. Each room, old and new, did have all the mod-cons: iPhone docks, minibar, fancy lighting, luxurious bedding (Those linens!), robes, spa shoes / bags, and lovely scented toiletries. The insulation between rooms and to the outside was also adequate. Housekeeping does show up a few times a day (cleaning, turn-down, leaving goodies), but we found that they indeed ‘respected the sign’ if placed on the door—

Oh, the incredible SPA. Seriously—Schloss Elmau offers perhaps the best spa on the planet (and we’ve been to a few of those!). There are more saunas and swimming pools than you can even discover in a single visit: the outdoor saltwater pool is incredible—it is heated such that you can easily swim in the snow under the stars (put that on the bucket list, seriously!). The upper swimming area is also outside, and offers a stunning view of the Alps. The various saunas offer different scents and temps. Perhaps our area of choice was the h-u-g-e Haman—featuring 2 different steam rooms (with amazing aromas: we still dream of the Linden flowers!) and several enormous ‘slabs’ to rest on after your steam…in addition to a large relax area complete with the best Turkish Delight we’ve had outside of Istanbul. We could have spent the entire vacation in those rooms!

If you can pry yourself out of the spa area, then you *must* try the Michelin starred resto, Luce d’Oro. Course after course of pure art and sensory overload. We are serious foodies and were simply blown away that Chef Mario only had one star—His approach to food takes the traditional and modernizes it by adding interesting structural elements (the appetizer resembled the NYC skyline) and molecular aspects yielding unbelievable textures and flavors. The wine list was equally impressive, and featured many options that were quite affordable. When you stay at Schloss Elmau, you receive a certain $$ amount that can be applied to any dining facility on the premises. Even Luce d’Oro! But, reserve early—the space is intimate and cozy… not too many tables (although it has been recently renovated; we haven't yet seen the results).

This review is long enough… but in short: you must take in a ‘cultural’ performance if available, and visit the fitness facilities, including the yoga classes (although the hotel is quite large and we felt well exercised just cruising around from A to B!).

On balance, Schloss Elmau is a fantasy experience that delivers in every way. Kudos to the incredibly professional and thoughtful manager, Mr. Nikolai Bloyd, for setting and keeping this establishment to a very high standard (not an easy thing to do!). We can’t wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view... the Wetterstein Wing (Fluegel) is gorgeous!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Love2Escape
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Love2Escpae,

That was a long a thorough review, and we appreciate it very much. I hope that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and the birthday celebrations!! Please stay in touch and let me know prior to your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Are you looking for tranquility and need to recharge your batteries? There is no better place then Schloss Elmau. Service is better and better with each stay. Rooms are spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. Even with children you will enjoy yourselves in family spa, kids club or just hanging......... It is not cheap, but for sure worth every penny.

Room Tip: For families it is good to stay in Wetterstein wing, even little further away from the spay. Rooms a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jana M
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Dear Jana M,

It is such a pleasure to see how much you appreciate the hotel and our constant efforts to improve your experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next visit if I can help in any way.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Schloss Elmau is magical. It is a great place to spend a family holiday or to recharge your batteries. The mix of world class spa and the best cultural program ever is unparalleled. Combine that with the beautiful surounding landscape, extremely tasteful interiors, professional service and great food and you understand why this is an experience not to be missed. The hotel bar is full of atmosphere and it is a tragedy that the strict non smiking rules in Bavaria no longer allow for cigar smoking.

One draw back you should be aware of is that certain areas of the hotel have restricted access for kids (Bar and Spa) If you dont have kids that may be good news, if you do you have to choose between either spending your pool time with your kids in a rather mediocre indoor pool area or to be in the amazing heated outdoor rooftop pool without your kids. They need to upgrade the family spa area to make this choice less painful.

Another draw back are the rates, which are very high during the year and beyond ridiculous during the Christmas holidays.

They have the best hotel bookstore ever, with a great kids section and an amazing program of lectures and concerts in the in house concert hall. Even if you are not a classic music or Jazz fan you will enjoy the option to stop by a concert after breakfast or before dinner and just sample what is being offered that day. The quality of the artists and lecturers is unparalleled.

Anyway, if you dont mind spending a fortune on your holidays, this is a great place to visit!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear JonasB516,

"Best Hotel on the Planet"!!!! Wow, that is some serious high praise. What else can I say. Thank you so much and please let me know before you next booking if I can help in any way.

all the best,

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmau
3 mi away
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#1 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
#18 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Staudacherhof
Staudacherhof
#4 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Been to Schloss Elmau? Share your experiences!