“This. Is. Heaven.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elmau
Norfolk, Virginia
“This. Is. Heaven.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

Amazing – and Vegan friendly - resort!

I learned about Schloss Elmau from 2 dear friends, who learned about Schloss Elmau from its resident yoga instructor (Johannes) while attending a yoga retreat together in India.

I am a well-seasoned traveller, having just completed my 107th trip to Europe. I have stayed in lovely hotels, average hotels, and awful hotels; therefore, I find Trip Advisor to be one of my essential travel tools. I love reading the reviews, but many just aren’t detailed enough for me (yeah, yeah, yeah – you love a hotel, but tell us WHY you love it so much). So here goes …

I really wanted to stay here, after hearing about Schloss Elmau from my yoga friends, and then learning that the shcloss is located just 30 km from Oberammergau, a beautiful little Bavarian village where I am lucky enough to visit (for business) twice a year. This last business trip called for a week in Brussels, then a week in Oberammergau – so what was I to do the weekend in between? Ah – let’s give Schloss Elmau a try …

The attention to service was evident from the moment I attempted to book my room. I was on their web site, but it would not take my VISA card; after 3 attempts I called the hotel directly. The nice gentleman who answered the phone explained they were having IT difficulties and apologized (rare this day and age). He explained the Reservations Desk was closed at that hour, apologized AGAIN, then took my phone number, and assured me the Reservations staff would call me the next day at a time of my choosing. After the phone call, I tried booking online again; this time I was successful using my AmEx. The next morning, the Reservations staff called at EXACTLY the time I had requested. I explained that I was successful in booking the reservation, but asked if I could move the charges to my VISA; the staff responded with a resounding “Of course!” Just from talking to those 2 individuals, I could tell the staff aims to please their guests – even the ones who have not yet arrived for their first visit. WOW!

After reviewing the Spa services on the web site, I e-mailed the spa with a massage request. The response was almost immediate; booking confirmed. By the way, the spa calendar fills up quickly, so book your spa services before arriving.

Value for money – sounds expensive at first, but when you get breakfast, plus 50 Euro to spend at the restaurants daily, musical concerts, water, tea, cake of the day, use of the spa areas (pools, relaxing area, Turkish Hamam, steam room, sauna, outdoor seating on beautiful days), gym, yoga classes (my personal addiction), free wi-fi throughout the hotel (room and relaxing area included), free mini-bar in room, all with a stunning backdrop of snow-covered Alps, etc – it is worth every dollar/euro!!

Driving time from Munich Airport to Schloss Elmau is 2 hours. The driving directions provided on the hotel’s web site are perfect (this coming from someone who gets lost going to the bathroom).

Room: I had the smallest, simplest room (travelling alone). The room was spotlessly clean, and decorated tastefully. Comfortable bed, TV, minibar, desk and windows that open. My room faced the inner courtyard; there was some noice, which I prefer (grew up on a busy street, need noise to fall asleep). If you need absolute quiet, you may want to request a room that does not face the courtyard.

Bathroom: Beautiful! Roomy shower, plush towels, and amazing amenities. Schloss Elmau offers their own brand of shampoo, condition, lotion and bath wash – of course, all are top quality.

Staff: Your every wish is their desire! Everyone seems truly happy to be working here. There was no attitude, no rolling of eyes when you requested assistance with something, etc.

Spa: Wonderful. I booked the Healing Blend massage (hot stone on the back, Lomi Lomi on the front). Highly recommended. Can’t wait to try other services on my next visit.

Relaxing areas: A-MAZ-ING!!! More comfortable lounges than one could possibility imagine, and so many different places to lounge (Turkish Hamam, ladies only room, family room, by the ground floor pool, by the roof-top pool, etc).

Pools: Three were open during my March visit: (1) ground floor heated salt water; (2) roof top heated salt water, and (3) family heated salt water. The weather was unseasonably warm (i.e., just perfect), so a quick dip in the heated pool did not leave you freezing upon exit.

Shops: There is a book store, a home furnishings, and a clothing store. All with beautiful, unique items.

Food:
- Dinner #1: La Salle dinner buffet. Impressive variety and so delicious!!! Too bad I’m a vegan, because the cheese selection was the best I’ve seen anywhere (located across from the cooking station) – don’t miss it.
- Breakfast #1: Ananda Spa Café. They cater to vegan breakfast requests, like a spicy tofu scramble.
- Dinner #2: Fidelio Italian Restaurant. Perfetto! While dinner was wonderful and the service outstanding, I felt a little conspicuous as a single diner; this place is VERY romantic.
- Breakfast #2: La Salle breakfast buffet. Just as impressive as the dinner buffet. It will take you one week alone just to work your way through the fresh juice options!!
- Vegan & GF comments: There is a gluten-free section of breads offered at La Salle for breakfast (at the rear of the restaurant, near the cooking station). I try to eat a plant-based diet whenever possible, which is very easy at home, but quite difficult when travelling – Schloss Elmau made it very easy – Thank You!
- BONUS INFO: Both mornings I started my day at La Salle with a Café Latte (happily made with soy milk), then attended the 9am yoga class, then ate breakfast afterwards.

I’m usually up and gone by 9 am on check-out day. NOT THIS TIME. Check-out was 11:30 am, which means you must vacate your room by that time. The staff retrieved my bags, then gave me a special key which granted access to the Badehaus / Spa areas; they told me I was welcome to stay as long as I wanted for the remainder of the day. I finally (begrudgingly) left at 4pm. A quick phone call to the front desk (from Ananda staff) and my car was brought around before I could change into my departure clothes.

My overall impression of Schloss Elmau? Well – I have nothing to compare it to, because this place in a class ALL BY ITSELF! Everything was so clean, you could eat off of any surface (including the floors), the staff are so friendly and accommodating, and it was so quiet (in 3 days, I never once heard a mobile/cell phone ring – or even vibrate). THIS is the standard by which I will measure all future hotels.

I plan to return to Schloss Elmau for a weekend, following each time I must work in Oberammergau. What a jewel – thank you Logan & Johanna for telling me about this little slice of heaven; and thank you, Johannes (Schloss Elmau’s resident Yoga Instructor) for making me feel so welcome before, during and after my stay – I LOVE my Jivamukti family.

In all my years of travel, I have only cried 3 times at the thought of having to depart an amazing destintation. The first was my first visit to Rome in 1997, the second was Pranamar Villas outside the tiny surfing village of Santa Teresa, Costa Rica in 2012, and the third was my first (but certainly not my last) visit to Schloss Elmau. One last note – for those of you out there who love to travel AND be pampered - what Schloss Elmau is to luxury in the Alps on a large scale, Pranamar Villas is to luxury in the tropics of Central America on a small scale – it is NOT to be missed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the central courtyard are a little noisy; if you require silence to sleep, request a room n...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank LittleDolores
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Dolores,

I truly appreciate your thorough review. It is important for the readers of TripAdvisor to get a real sense for what a guest thinks and feels during a stay, I you did this in a very eloquent yet precise way. Johannes has created a wonderful Yoga program here in Schloss Elmau and it is always evolving even further. Thank you also for the comments regarding the service staff and the kitchen, who are endlessly trying to expand our Vegan option and their understanding of this Culinary Art. Of behalf of the Housekeeping Department I also thank you for realizing their efforts, which often seem to go unseen. Please let me know prior to your next booking if I can assist in any way.

all the best,

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

Schloss Elmau is a dream come true -- a beautiful hotel made of all natural materials, wood and stone -- windows that open to the cool, clear mountain air -- outdoor pools open all year, all weather, all day -- a paradise for children but with lots of peaceful places for grown-ups -- classical music played on splendid Steinway pianos -- a beautiful library with real books -- and all this in a splendid setting, with beautiful views of the mountains from every window, with skiing, hiking, castles all an easy drive away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Mmedesevigne
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Mmedesevigne,

I am so happy to hear that will fulfilled your expectations, and that you left wanting more! I hope to host you again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I just spent a thoroughly enjoyable week at Schloss Elmau. The hotel is wonderfully luxurious and our rooms were perfectly appointed. The surrounding area is stunningly beautiful and though we spent a few days skiing in nearby Seefeld and Garmisch we could have happily spent 7 days without leaving the resort.

We were there with our two small children and my parents and it truly catered to everyone's needs. The spa is divided into child and non-child friendly areas which means you can take kids swimming without bothering people who are looking for a more tranquil time and there is a brilliant playroom that is staffed between 9am and 9pm so you can join your children there or leave them. We used it most evenings so we could have dinner alone and they were very happy there. In the rest of the spa I particularly recommend the rooftop pool. It's breathtaking and despite being about 3 degrees outside was lovely and warm. I also enjoyed the yoga classes and my husband said the massage he had was phenomenal.

There are 4 restaurants so you don't get bored eating there. We especially loved the fondue and Luce D'Oro where the food really is art. Breakfast is amazing. We have been lucky to have stayed in some incredible hotels and we agreed it was the best breakfast of them all.

We were initially in the Wetterstein Wing in a huge 2 bedroom suite but moved to a suite and separate room in the main building. There are benefits to both. The initial room was larger and very close to the play room but the second room was closer to the action and perhaps had slightly better views. We stayed in 507 and it was a perfect space for the 4 of us with a balcony looking onto the mountains.

We were really impressed with all the staff who were, without exception, professional and friendly. Nikolai, the General Manager, is extremely hands on and takes great care to make sure you are having a good time. It is German resort primarily but almost all of the staff speak perfect English.

The piano bar is fantastic and there was live music there each evening. And jolly good cocktails too.

If you visit do walk to Elmauer Alm. The walk took us about 45 minutes each way and worth every step for the incredible scenery and then cute and inviting restaurant.

The ski concierge was brilliantly useful and everything is arranged for you from ski and boot hire to lift passes to transfers.

We definitely plan to return and would love to visit in the summer.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues then the main building will suit you better. If you have children you ma...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 2Shooz
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear 2Shooz,

I love your trip advisor name! It was a pleasure having you and the entire family with us. We were happy to see that you enjoyed both rooms, and that you did not mind the room move. We thought giving you the option, and letting you choose from the benefits each room has to offer was the right thing to do. It is also great to see that you were able to take advantage of all the Winter in Schloss Elmau has available. We look forward to your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to the planning, we will even come and get you from the Innsbruck Airport.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Words can't describe this place. Stunning facilities, grounds, and scenery. Impeccable service. Incredible food. We ate at their Michelin-starred restaurant and absolutely loved it, preceded by a gorgeous jazz performance. But the spa facilities were absolutely incredible. Make sure to enjoy the rooftop infinity pool. Definitely grab a front row seat in the relaxation room, snuggled up in a cozy blanket with hot tea in hand and overlooking the mountains. I've never left anywhere more relaxed and pampered.

Needless to say, I'm already trying to make an excuse to return. Many times. The only hitch was the 45 minute wait for our car at check-out, but it was 45 additional minutes in what was otherwise heaven.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank N S
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear M S,

I will make sure that the car comes quicker next time, but I will do my best to find some reason to delay your departure just enough to enjoy the Schloss a little bit longer.....

Thank you again for the great review and we look forward to the next visit.

Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

The best hotel I have ever visited! There are only few places I would go again and Elmau belongs to them. Great place for relaxation and recharging your life battery.
Excellent service, excellent food...there was nothing wrong.
Wonderfull spa resort.

Room Tip: There are perfect views all around the hotel! No matter which room you choose.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Micha_U81
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Micha_U81,

"The best hotel ever visited" is very high praise. Thank you that you recognized our efforts and that you enjoyed the restaurants so much. Please let me know prior to your next visit so that I can personally ensure that we repeat the experience.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I spent a week at Schloss Elmau at the end of November, specifically to attend the concert program that week - two wonderful concerts each day, one late morning and another early evening. The musicians were superb! In between, there was plenty of time to enjoy the exceptional spa facilities - 3 large pools, two of them outdoors, a very large hamaam, sauna's, eucalyptus steam room, relaxation rooms with amazing mountain views, all imaginable spa services and an excellent spa restaurant. And then there was the glorious 'winter wonderland' outdoors with cross country skiing and walking/hiking trails right out the front door. Rooms were lovely and there were several very good restaurant choices on site. I'm going back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anne F
Dear Anne F,

Happy New Year!! It was such a pleasure to meet you and your family during the recent visit. I look forward to your next stay with us.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I wanted to make a reservation and the booking person on the phone was so rude and told me that there was no space for me at anytime as the hotel was fully booked and in case the hotel guests should go to the restaurant . This is very disappointing. I just wanted to try the restaurant but the concierge was so rude and wouldn't accept guests not staying at the hotel , such a shame!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Dr-Frati C
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Dr-Frati C,

I am sorry that you were not able to stay at the hotel or try one of our restaurants during your recent attempt. The Christmas and New Years Holidays are one of the busiest times of the year, guests typically reserving their rooms a year in advance. During this time of the year we run at 100% occupancy, or are sold out, for almost three weeks straight. I feel it is a bit harsh to criticize our staff for not having any reservations available for you, and giving us a rating of 1 out of 5 for never having dined or stayed with us is also a bit unfair.

None the less, please contact me directly if you find yourself in the area again, I will personally take care of you myself.

Happy New Year and Happy Holidays,

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmau
Hotel das Kranzbach
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#2 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Interalpen-Hotel Tyrol
Hotel Villa Ludwig
Hotel Villa Ludwig
#1 of 7 in Hohenschwangau

Been to Schloss Elmau? Share your experiences!