“Exceeded Expectations”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elmau
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife and I are seniors and spent a wonderful week at Schloss Elmau in November celebrating a milestone birthday.We have been to other European spa resorts, and this is perhaps the best. The week certainly exceeded our high expectations!

We enjoyed everything--the spa, the pools, the relaxation rooms,the yoga classes and walks(my wife) and the exercise room(me), the classical music concert, and the very fresh and delicious food. The decor of the resort was very striking to us and very personal to the founder of the resort. We also enjoyed a number of conversations with other guests, who were mostly German. The resort even had a delicious chocolate birthday cake in the room for me upon arrival!

What was just as important to us was how friendly, helpful, and attentive the staff was to our needs. I have some medical issues, and the staff seemed to do whatever they could to make my stay as pleasant as possible. This included transferring me to a more comfortable room given my condition.

The setting of the resort is breath-taking--and we especially enjoyed the heated outdoor pool when the snow was falling.

Our only real complaint was that there was only one classical music concert scheduled for the week of our stay--because of a German literary festival(and we don't speak German). We do hope to return , though, and will do a better job of our scheduling so we can enjoy more of the music.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tom1717
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear tom1717,

Thank you for the great comments and for the praise on our property and the staff. We hope that you next visit to Europe brings you back to Schloss Elmau again.

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here for 16 days. The decor in this sprawling building is simple and perfect with smooth wood, brass details and red accents. The pools, spas, steam rooms, herbal rooms, classes and views are truly special. The hotel has an full sizes underground Turkish Bath!
The restaurants, lounges, grounds and food are truly amazing. The smell of wood, and cloistered luxury paired with the natural setting in the mountains makes this place perfect for families, romantic getaways and total metal rehabilitation. There is something for everyone here. Every weekend there is a cultural event, book readings, opera singers and live music. For the outdoor types there are the massive pools big enough to swim a real lap or to just bob about. High end bicycles to ride, walking trails, an archery room, daily yoga and pilates classes along with a beautiful gym.
Schloss Elmau also has the most well trained staff I have ever come across in my 20+ years of working and living on the road. The kitchen accommodated my colleague's strict vegan no oil diet with ease and hearty innovation. They even gave him a cook book of all of the dishes he liked most! The general manager Nikolia is a true gem.
I'll be back!

Room Tip: Face the mountain!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Askia j,

It was not only a pleasure to have you in the hotel, but to welcome you into the Schloss Elmau Family! You were so pleasant to have around, so kind to the staff, we miss you and look forward to your next visit! Thank you for making our 300th Trip Advisor review so special.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We spent 1 week in November 2013 in this hotel. I would start from advantages. Spa, food, atmosphere is really 5 star. Classic music performance is really impressing. But the hotel has a really serious problem with "5 star" standards of housekeeping. First of all I still can not understand how is possible to hover and clean the room 3 times in a day and still have spread broken glass all over room during 3 days long. It was starting from entrance and ending the window. The first time I thought that there is problem with vision as it was evening, the second time I thought "No" it is morning and no lack to see big pieces of glass. Than I thought "may be this is cheap 1 star hovers in 5 star hotel?". The third day I had to point that by finger personally. But even tips did not match the situation. So I could imagine another reasons of such unexceptional room keeping but I would not. After that some receptionist met me with words "Oh! You again!" Well, May be I live in the country where "beers are walking along the street", as the most "educated" people think, but such relation seems to me unfamiliar and absolutely unexceptional. That all crushed all the impression of this wonderful place.
Nevertheless I would like to thank personally Dr. Konig and all spa personal for pleasant and professional attitude.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ElStLa
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear EIStLa,

It is nice to hear that you were able to enjoy so much of your stay. I am sorry for the complication with the room cleaning, it seems to have been a misunderstanding, and I am not sure how so many days went by. I hope that you received our note and the apology amenity which we sent to your room. I also hope that you received the email which the hotel manager wrote you during your stay to check on everything. None the less, please let me know if I can help in any way prior to your next booking.

Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I am a Singaporean who has just got married to a German about 3 days ago. As I was quite ill in the week following to our wedding, my husband and I were not keen to book something strenuous. He came upon your website while looking for a spa and hideaway and we found Schloss Elmau. As we will only hold our wedding celebration next year in Singapore, he decided to spontaneously book an intimate weekend getaway right after we registered our marriage in Stuttgart and boy it was the BEST thing we ever did (besides getting married!)

The view was spectacular as we drove up the winding road to get to the castle! Susanne who greeted us, took personal care of us and even considerately arranged for tea ( as she noticed that I was still unwell). She even made sure that we had vases for our flowers which we received during our registration ceremony.

We stayed in room 413 and was lucky to have fantastic view in the morning even though it was snowing heavily.

Our Dinner at Restaurant Luce D'or was nothing short of fabulous. The food was absolutely amazing and the service impeccable! Upon returning to our room, we were even more surprised to see rose petals arranged beautifully on our bed!

Our stay was made even more memorable that we took a dip in the outdoor infinity pool as well as the salt pool amidst the falling snow. Our personal private Pilates session with Johannes was intense but invigorating and our massage session that we booked with your award winning spa also exceeded our expectations!

I have to say that we were impressed how quiet the hotel was even though it was also kids-friendly, making our getaway even more relaxing. Words simply cannot describe the level of hospitality that we have received during our short but fulfilling stay at Schloss Elmau. Thank you for making the weekend a memorable and fantastic experience. We will always hold Schloss Elmau close to our hearts as it made our journey as newly-weds really amazing and we will definitely look forward to going back to the castle in the near future for our ski trips and/or anniversary.

Schloss Elmau is really the closest thing to paradise and as I type this review, I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms from having to go back to reality. Once again, thank you for making our little getaway a delightful experience.

With warmest regards,
Hanin and Christian Eisele

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hanin_Anjelika
Dear Hanin and Christian,

First of all let me Congratulate you both on your marriage! I am so happy that you enjoyed your first experience with us in Schloss Elmau and hope that you contact me directly prior to your next booking! I have shared your comments with our entire team, and appreciate the attention to detail you put in your review. We look forward to being your resort of choice for the foreseeable future.

Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My partner and me stayed here at the end of October, 2013. The location of hotel is unbelievable: surrounded by the mountains, forest and tranquility. Just wanted to mention a great service at the pool area: the caretaker was always very attentive. The area was also very clean and seems not very busy, even though we were told that hotel was pretty much fully booked.

I would definitely come back there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anna K
Dear Anna K,

Thank you for the kind remarks and we are glad that you were able to see all of the offering Schloss Elmau has.

München
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at Shloss Elmau.
One of the most impressive one is that some of hotel employee called my name precisely even if we met at the first time. It´s important for me because calling personal name means to show respect to guests. Dinner was also very creative! The hotel was surrpounded by full of beautiful nature and walking in the nature was great healing for me. I will absolutely come back regularly there!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear A Y,

I am glad to hear that we got your name right! This is one of those personal touches that is difficult to master. However we are always striving to improve the guest experience at Schloss Elmau and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I visited Schloss Elmau again after about a year and can tell you it's still great. The colder weather meant more cozy wood-burning fires. Also the gourmet restaurant had reopened (great food, but French "fussy" as Michelin stars tend to be so I prefer the heartier German food upstairs in the wintergarden).

Great room with view and very helpful staff

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear philip s,

We appreciate that you shared your review of us again! Our regular guests that time and time again post their reviews of us is a very important measurement of how we are doing . I am so happy to see that you remain a fan of Schloss Elmau.

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmau
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#1 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
#3 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Staudacherhof
Staudacherhof
#6 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Been to Schloss Elmau? Share your experiences!