“Exceeds expections in every way”
Review of Schloss Elmau

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elmau
Bellingham, Washington
“Exceeds expections in every way”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I had very high expectations after exploring the website and reading reviews - however - everything was even better than I anticipated. It's hard to know where to begin. The food was amazing, fresh, and plentiful. From the evening buffet, you can compose your multi-course meal as you like. There are consistently 2 amuse bouche choices, various appetizer selections, 2 soups, a huge variety of salads, and 3 main course selections prepared to order, and then a vast vareity of cheeses and accompaniments, and 3 sweet selections - usually one cake, a mouse or parfait, and a warm baked creation with some sauce served separately. These change everyday. Or you could eat in one of the other on-site restuarants, attend a concert, or linger in the spa. The pools were a dream, the adult sauna very relaxing, and the steam room included bins of dead sea salts for exfoliation. The setting: breathtaking... It was simply and utterly perfect. Service was flawless, intuitive, and generous. I stayed for 5 days and didn't want to leave. This place works if you are alone, a couple seeking romance, or a family with small children. (Teenagers may want more stimuli off-site, whereas you may find it hard to tear yourself away.) I am already planning my return. Highly reccomended! Tip: They take suspension of time seriously here. If you have scheduled a treatment or plan on attending an event, bring your own timepiece with you, as there is a conspicuous absence of clocks outside of the ones on the sound systems in the guest rooms. All the better to lose yourself here. Read the facinating history booklet in the room! It explains a lot and will help you understand the philosophy of the place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank josanpu
FO_Stanley, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, December 17, 2011
Dear Josanpu,

I was a real pleasure to have you stay with us, and thank you for the comments you made during your time with us as well as here on Trip Advisor. We always strive to make each guest feel at home, and as I mentioned during our first talk, it is great to have a fellow West Coaster visiting us. Please do not hesitate to contact me before your next trip, all the best,

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Wonderful location, great rooms with fantastic views, lovely pools and so much to do in the area.
The vibe was great, whether walking or cycling, enjoying the pools or other wellness facilities, sitting in the evening in the library (a very good selection), or lounging in the grounds. It is clearly popular with families (there were several groups of three generations) and the facilities and activities are well designed to enable children to enjoy themselves without other adults being disturbed. For example, the main bathhouse building is adult-only, including a quiet small restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch, while there is a separate family pool and sauna etc area and families tended to dine in the main dining hall.
On our second evening there, I had been mentally composing a negative tale for a TripAdvisor review, after the dinner we had booked had not been as we felt it was described and we very disappointed. When an opportunity arose, I spoke my mind quite directly with a manager who had been visiting the tables. Here the tale turns to a positive of the effort made to ensure guests are happy. After our discussion was over, he identified who we were (I wasn't at our table at the time), checked the way the meal had been described in the hotel calendar and changed the description so future guests would not have the same misunderstanding, sent a lovely basket to our room the next afternoon and made further amends. We spoke about it again the next evening when he came to our table. Thus this becomes an exemplar of high quality guest relations.
In fact, the worst thing about Schloss Elmau is in fact deciding what to do, since there's so many delightful options, and having to leave at the end. We'll certainly be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MymAustralia
FO_Stanley, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear MymAustralia,

I am very happy to hear that we were able to provide you with an exceptional experience with us. It makes me happy to hear that "worst thing about Schloss Elmau is in fact deciding what to do, since there's so many delightful options, and having to leave at the end". With our multiple dining options, 4 spas, concerts, Fit & Active program, plus much more, we are always trying to find new ways to keep our guests wanting to come back for more!

Thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me with any requests in the future,

Dusseldorf
Reviewed November 5, 2011

My wife and I just spent a second 4 day break in this wonderful location. In all my travels, this is the only place in Europe that has provided us (twice in a row) 'Asian' class service (for anyone who has vacationed in five star locations in Asia, would understand what this means). Blessed with beautiful surroundings and landscape, the operational and managerial staff make the experience memorable, and worth returning to again, and again, and again......

Room Tip: With or with a balcony, y will get fabulous views!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
FO_Stanley, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Dear Mr. Choudhry,

Thank you so much for the positive remarks you made regarding your last stay at Schloss Elmau. I have had the privilege of hosting you now twice in the past few months and your comments on our service are truly appreciated. The fact that you made the comparison between Asian service and us already says a lot. Thank you again for noticing our efforts. We look forward to your next visit and as always please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

California, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I went to Schloss Elmau for a few days with my sister for a little vacation and it was the most amazing and relaxing stay that either of us had been on. The natural surroundings are breathtaking an cannot be described in words--it just wont do it justice. Along with the natural serenity the calm and pleasant demeanor of the staff was impeccable. They were all so kind and had no problem speaking English. Every member of their team made sure that we had the best experience. And the spa! Unbelievable. Not only were the treatments like heaven, each of the different pools available for the guests were placed in ideal locations with views overlooking the Alps. I have never before been in such a place. My sister and I are already planning our return. Schloss Elmau is a place where you will want to go back with your significant other, family, friends, even solo! It was the most memorable experience, and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Julia O
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Julia O,

I apologize for the late response, none the less, we appreciate all your comments and look forward to your next visit.

all the best,

Nikolai

Napa, California
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I spent 10 nights at Schloss Elmau and had an amazing stay. Located in one of the most scenic places in the world. I would put it up against the gradure of The Grand Canyon or Yosemite. Both of which I have stomped through many times. The hiking from right out the door of the Schloss is world class. But, if hiking is not your thing you can always borrow a bike and hit the trail! After a day on the trail I enjoyed a nice wheat wheat beer outdoors and soaking up the view of the mountains I had just hiked through. I did dine in the Michelin stared restaurant which was wonderful. And ate in the buffet restaurant every morning which I thoroughly enjoyed, right down to my last pretzel. I found the service through out the whole hotel to be excellent. I found my room very comfortable and with the same view out the window that Mother Nature had intended, magnificent! And talk about cosy, the bed was amazingly comfortable. I also spent an afternoon in the spa which was glorious. When you go, don't forget to do a few laps in the outdoor pool on the roof of the spa!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert C
CH-Napa, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Robert C. of Napa California,

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, outdoor hiking trails and complete natural setting. Many of our guests comment regularly on our Amazing award winning Spas, the children programs we offer, the opulent culinary offerings (including the Michelin Starred Luce d'Oro), our one of a kind unique Culture department (offering over 220 classical and jazz concerts per year), but often the natural setting is taken for granted. We are so fortunate to be located within this pristine National Forest were nature takes center stage, and allows our guests to truly get away fro the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Please do not hesitate to contact me before your next visit,

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We spent two days at Schloss Elmau and should have stayed a week. The alpine environment has to be seen to be believed--the setting is just breathtaking. I've stayed in many of the top hotels in the world, and Schloss Elmau is without question my favorite. Luxury is too simple a word to describe the experience--this hotel has a unique combination of great style, total comfort, and superb and intelligent staff. The six restaurants offer a culinary extravaganza, with individual styles ranging from casual to Michelin Star rated. And, if you're looking for the ultimate spa experience, this is it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert H
CH-Napa, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear Robert H.,

On behalf of my entire team I would like to thank you for the positive remarks that you have recently made on TripAdvisor. We constantly strive to offer a genuinely sincere service while at the same time delivering this within a relaxed atmosphere. It is our intention that you feel as if at home with us here in Schloss Elmau. I will share your comments with my entire team and ask that you please do not hesitate to contact me with any request that you might have in the future.

Prague, the Czech Republic
Reviewed September 24, 2011

After our second stay in this hotel we were little bit less impressed than the first time due to certain communication difficulties with staff members. Despite this fact, Schloss Elmau still remains one of the best hotels we have stayed in so far.

We have spent few days in Elmau with our little twin boys and we have had great time. It is quite obvious that the spa facilities are just perfect. In addition to family spa and the Badehaus we very much enjoyed the natural spa down at the little river, especially the sauna by the river. The restaurants are very good despite not great, the micheline star Luce dOro is little bit pricey.
This time I also reserved certain time to get familiar with history of the place and was much impressed by the story of Elmau and the personality and results of the current owner and manager of the hotel.

The costs of stay are quite high but the value delivered is more less corresponsing to such costs.

The overall atmosphere of the place is very relaxed and pleasent and not posh in any way which makes you feel comfortable. I can honestly recommend this hotel to all people seeking luxurious hideway to escape from busy modern life for at least few days.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear CzechTourist,

I am sorry for the very tardy response to your review, but none the less we wish to thank you for your comments and look forward to your next visit.

Nikolai

nikolai@schloss-elmau.de
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmau
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#1 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
#3 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Staudacherhof
Staudacherhof
#6 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Been to Schloss Elmau? Share your experiences!