“Poor service and over priced for the food quality”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fuschia Restaurant & Courtyard
Cuisines: International
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Poor service and over priced for the food quality”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The place looked lovely from the outside, and was busy, so we booked for the following night. When we arrived, we were shown to our table and abandoned. There was water there already, but it must have been there for a while, because it was warmish. The waitress didn't know what specials were on, forgot to give us bread and had a poor manner. A little training would have done wonders, as I'm sure she's a nice person, she just hadn't a clue how to do her job. The food was grand, nothing special, but priced in the special category. All in all, it was disappointing. It promised a lot (and charged to match) but failed to deliver.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank paultheotherbiker

London, United Kingdom
“2 meals: 1 big hit, 1 catastrophic miss”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Fuschia looks cute. The staff was very nice and we really liked the clear fact that this is a small, locally run business. It's a bit pricey for what it is and it's location, but ok, we thought - it's just a small business, buying locally and supporting the surrounding economy.

All the environmental aspects were nice, and I must say that MY meal was absolutely delicious: a portobello mushroom burger with grilled veggies and honey. So yummy.

So, given all that, it's hard to understand how my husband could have been served something so awful. He ordered some kind of coconut chicken. Sounded great. But what he got was a plain white plate, with a pile of plain white rice, a plain chicken breast, covered with a plain white sauce. It didn't even look appetizing. I've never had a feeling of such boredom in my life than I did just looking at that meal. And unfortunately it tasted every bit as bland as it looked. We could not taste any coconut, or anything else supposedly in there.

Hubby is convinced it was boil in a bag rice and packet sauce. I disagree - I think that the likelihood of a nice local place like this doing that is unlikely. But I've never had anything so absolutely tasteless. But the worst was that the disastrous presentation just magnified the impression that someone was not even trying. I can't imagine anyone running a restaurant thinking that is okay to send out to a customer - on looks alone!

Hubby was not even able to finish the meal, and left quite hungry and unsatisfied. In their defense, he unfortunately he did not say anything (giving them the chance to respond/make it up on the spot) because he feared it would look like he wanted something for free, which he did not. He didn't even want anything else. So that was that.

• Visited August 2011