“Great food & friendly service”
Review of Cox's Steakhouse

Cox's Steakhouse
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Dromod
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were part of a party of 38 who dined here recently. I was impressed with the friendly service & the standard of food served despite the fact that they had a very large party before us. The food was simple but well cooked , served piping hot & delicious. Highly recommend this pub in a beautiful little village which is very well kept.

4  Thank Isobel066

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

After having heard so much about the food In cox's I was really looking forward to my visit with my boyfriend, so on arrival we could see it was clearly full and they were very busy however that is no excuse, we were left standing by the door waiting for a seat for ages then when one became available we were forced to share a table with a couple we didn't know, myself and my partner both ordered steak sandwiches that were advertised on the menu as being served on a crispy ciabatta however when they arrived after a 40 minute wait the steak was thrown on top of a piece of brown bread and we were given a small bowl of chips to share!

2  Thank Deniseyy
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Peter, you are paying around 25 Euro in Cox's for a steak, a few chips, pepper sauce, stewed mushrooms and onions. Im sorry pal but for 25 Euro you need to judge at that price...Sure, for a £7:99 steak dinner it would be a good place. But you seriously need to get out more if you think this is a great steakhouse. And as you are on 1st name terms with the owners its pretty clear that personal preference is clouding proper judgement for the users of this site.

I would like to see thicker steaks(over 1/2" thick), more chips/baked potato, fresh crisp salad, fresh fried flat cap(steak) mushrooms and home made onion rings - all of which should come as standard in any "great" steakhouse.. Anyone going to a steakhouse should come out full and satisfied after eating a large steak cooked to their liking correctly - that is what a great steakhouse is all about. Yet 11 chips, stewed mushrooms, limp salad and steak less than 1/2 " thick is not good enough and not worth the 25 Euro.
Did you know, that even if you eat on your own, or with a partner you still get the same 1 x portion of chips and pepper sauce? I dont agree with having to ask for more - a generous meal for the price you pay should be provided. It needs to improve in my eyes if it wants to get on the board as being a great steakhouse!

6  Thank 311Chris
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great steak house, Menu varied, but not all dishes are exactly as described, our chicken kiev was just plain coated chicken, Salmon slightly overcooked but very tasty, service good

1  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Go to Coxs and make up your own mind. I'm the person who wrote the 8th Wonder of the World review. I own a company in England and have no connection what so ever to Coxs restaurant. I have no reason to "big up " Cox's Steakhouse and take offence at the suggestion that I may have some other motive.
The only reason I commented on Coxs is that I have always had superb service there. I think someone needs to learn the difference between a dinner plate and a saucer as I've never had anything served on a saucer , or anything like a saucer in , Coxs.
I do return to Coxs on a regular basis and I can only say it gets better every time I go.
I too am qualified to comment having been in the catering and events industry for mostvof my life, however I wouldn't dream of comparing Coxs to the a Top class hotel as on reviewer does. It's a country Steakhouse and is packed out every day. So I guess TP and Eileen are doing something right. I note they one revivers main issue was that he wasn't centre of attention and had to wait for twenty minutes to be served!!! So what? Twenty minutes....... Is that something to compaiin about.......? I guess so for some people!! It's a very busy restaurant..... Get a life!!
And on the subject of the loos... Go see for yourself . The loos are also busy but in all the time I've been going to Cox's I've never even noticed and bad smells and I hate dirty loos but I can't complain about that.
TP is the quietest and gentlest man I think I've ever met. The person who writes that he was barking orders... Well sorry that's simply not true. TP couldn't bark even if he was inclined to! And Eileen is so welcoming, it's almost like eating at a friends house! ! All I can say is go see for yourself and you decide.
There are loads of friendly staff buzzing about and they couldn't do enough for us when we visited again recently. We plan on going again soon and can't wait to have one of Cox's steaks.

2  Thank Peter B