1,202 results
All reviews outdoor shower hillside suite plunge pool our honeymoon organic garden every meal water sports golf cart through customs red flag mini bar surround sound secluded beach huge bathroom lunch menu beach service cold towels
Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I travel extensively for business and the last thing we wanted was to get on another plane for an all too brief vacation. However, this place is worth the effort. It is elegant and unpretentious. The food was very good and the kitchen more than willing to accommodate special requests.

The owner has lived and traveled around the world. He understands how bone weary guests are when they first arrive. The resort philosophy is to reduce stress by providing gracious service and minimal distractions in a beautiful environment. It takes about two days to let the sound of the waves, the wind rustling through trees and other discrete nature sounds work their magic.

We stayed in a beach front cottage and only heard sounds from the others as we walked by on our way to dinner. On the whole, everyone was very considerate.

This is the Caribbean and things do break down. The sea air poses a constant challenge to maintenance. But the staff works very hard to resolve the inevitable snags, and we appreciated their efforts. In our experience, it is how a resort responds to problems and guest concerns that distinguishes it from the others.

My only complaint is that there were many jellyfish during our stay. The staff neglected to warn us when we arrived. It was only after our unfortunate encounter that we were told to swim at the other end of the beach where the water is screened to keep out the jellyfish. We made certain that Devon had cleared the water before we went in, and had no further problems.

Other than that, it was a very relaxing time and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mod-DSP
Reviewed May 10, 2009

We recently stayed at Hermitage Bay for our honeymoon in late April. I read all the wonderful reviews and have to admit, we weren't disappointed! We were met at the airport by a representative with water and cold towels which we really needed after the long flight. I don't know why there were complaints about the drive in. It only took us about 30 mintues and the dirt road was only maybe 2 miles or so long and there is talk of paving it soon.

When we arrived, we were just blown away. The place is absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. There were gorgeous flowering bushes and trees everywhere. We were greeted by a very friendly staff member and promptly taken to our hillside cottage (#32). We loved the dark wood floors and the great veranda. But the best part, was the view which was just spectacular! We spent most of our time just gazing at the hillside and the water. Absolutely breathtaking!

Now, onto the food! The selection was great. We could always find something we liked. Our favorite would have to be breakfast. Each day they had a deliscious fruit bowl, assorted cereals and pastries along with multiple entrees and side dishes to go along. Oh, and the Kobe beef burger is indeed wonderful! I highly recommend it. They offered 3 meals a day and afternoon tea so you're never really hungry!

There were several water sport available, but we really were there to relax and only used the snorkeling equipment. We loved the beach. With it being in the bay, they waves and current weren't too strong and the sand had quite shelly which kept it from blowing all over you when it was windy. I loved the comfortable loungers with the umbrella and there was always someone there to bring you drinks or fresh fruit.

The only real negative would have to be the bugs, but it's a tropical island so it was expected! We brought bug spray and they offer some in the room as well, but this didn't really help. We made sure to keep the windows and doors shut to our bedroom , but I still had multiple bites. But this did not keep us from having a great time! Also, our plunge pool needed just a little more water in it. It wasn't high enough to push the water into the filter so it stayed dirty. Other than that, everything was great!

Recommendations: bring snack food if you like to munch during the day. They only offer two small bags of plantain chips in the room.

If you're at all time conscious, bring a watch! There are no clocks in the room or really anywhere in the resort. We didn't get cell service there so we never knew what time it was. This was sort of fun and relaxing in a way!

If you want the most privacy, stay at the top of the hill. The hike up can be a bit daunting, but it's well worth it!

If you're at all modest, bring something to clamp down the curtains in the outdoor shower. Fortunatley, we didn't have any neighbors until later on in the week, but if they were sitting on their veranda and a gust of wind comes by, they would have been able to see right into our shower! But it's such a great ammenity to have an outdoor shower that we just dealt with it!

All in all, a wonderful place to vacation and relax and absolutley perfect for honeymooners!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mcorgan07
Reviewed April 30, 2009

My husband and I spent months talking with friends, researching travel websites, reading magazines, etc to find the best honeymoon spot for us. Hermitage Bay was the only place we could find that was +4 stars, small, and all-inclusive (our three main criteria). All the reviews we read were wonderful and when we arrived, the place exceeded our expectations!!!

When we first arrived at the airport, the hotel had someone waiting on us right as we departed the plane and escorted us to our car (a nice big Suburban with AC). The trip was about 30 minutes and you drive through the island. Not too much to see, but not bad at all. Some reviewers mentioned the bumpy road at the end of the trip, but those people must be old or have never been on an unpaved street. Had I not read anyone’s complaint about the road, I would not have even noticed. When we got to the resort, the staff had a drink waiting for us (which they kept refilling) and big, friendly smiles on our face. They gave us a quick overview and we got in a golf cart to go up the mountain to our hut (#24).

Our place was AMAZING!! It is like a high-end tree house overlooking the most beautiful beach. We had our own pool which was the best part. We spent a lot of time in there and on the big porch. Since our room was up high, our place was very private. We could see others though from our deck. The bed was super comfortable and had a mosquito net (which was much needed). The mosquitoes were definitely out and I got a number of bites the first few days. I grew up in the South, so it was nothing worse than that. I would highly recommend bug spray at all times. This being said, the mosquitoes bites were only one of the few complaints I have and I would consider it a non-issue in the grand scheme. The bathroom was really nice, BUT there is not a shower inside. I love to shower outside though and really enjoyed this. The walk up to hut was not bad at all and was nice to get some exercise after doing nothing all day. A golf cart was always available though to zip you to the top. The higher up the mountain the better the view!

My husband and I are "foodies" and Hermitage Bay exceeded our expectations. I was very skeptical about the quality of food at an all-inclusive place, but the food here was really good. I would give it 8 out of 10. The chef is also VERY accommodating. My husband wanted to eat what the locals ate, so the chef specially prepared him a local lunch one day. They do a pretty good job of changing the items on the menu, especially for dinner. I think the breakfast and lunch menu stay pretty constant. I should note, the fish of the day was the same thing everyday, but it was good. The house wine was OK, but there were good wines available for a fee ($30+). The mixed drinks were amazing though!! Another really nice thing about being all inclusive was that when we went up for the night, we asked the bar tender for a bottle of champagne for free (or whatever we wanted) to take back to our room to drink.

This is a VERY small resort and quiet resort, which is why we choose it. There are no nightly activities or anything. My husband and I would go down to the main area before dinner and play cards and have drinks before dinner which was really nice. There were a few people at the bar, but it was very low key. The bartenders were AWESOME, especially Carlton. Two of the seven nights we were there, there was a guy playing an instrument and singing in the main area/restaurant which was really nice. After dinner everyone basically goes back to their own hut. We would go back and enjoy the champagne and plunge pool.

We specifically choose a location and resort that we would not have to leave. The beach is very nice and secluded with white sand. The water was gorgeous. There was a reef that was pretty close in, but all you had to do was swim around that. Although it rained (liquid sunshine) on and off the entire time we were there, we still got to enjoy snorkeling, swimming, sailboat rides, picnic lunches, and boat rides with Janice. Janice is the greatest! She took us around the island on a small boat whenever we wanted. She sang for us, showed us the sites, and kept us entertained. The picnic lunch (cost a little something) was sooo much fun! You chose your lunch and drinks and they take you around the corner to a deserted island. It was so cool to have a beach to yourself. The only time we left the resort was to go to a music festival that occurs each Sunday. It was sooo much fun! They have GREAT drinks and the BEST steel drum band (20+ people). The only problem was that it was a 30 minute drive that made us all car sick on the ride there; however, on the way back we had enough drinks and did not notice.

We had absolutely no problems with noise at the resort like some had mentioned. The second day though lightening hit the transformer during breakfast and the power went out in the entire resort. To us, this was not a problem at all, we just went to the beach. The staff was very apologetic and refunded us a night’s stay. Talk about customer service!!!! We did not even make one complaint to them; they just told us at check out that they would refund it.

Even though the weather was not very nice, our trip could not have been ANY better. The staff was amazing and catered to every request. If you are looking for a laid-back, quiet, romantic honeymoon this is the only place to go. We will definitely be back as soon as possible!!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RaleighTraveler25
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Unbelievable hotel,6star service and accommodation amazing.
If you want that special treatment and luxurious surroundings,then this is the place to be.
We were married on the beach here ,and the support and help from everyone here made it a special and memorable time we will remember for many years to come.
The food was truly michelin star quality and you are spoilt for choice,the cocktails at the bar were amazing and served with style by Carlton,what a star.
I will keep this brief as the hotel is outstanding and the only way to truly feel it is to stay there ,words are hard to find to describe how good it really is,but AMAZING is a start.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bk63
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Ted and I have just returned from an exquisite honeymoon at Hermitage Bay in Antigua. Never before have we felt so relaxed and pampered in a setting where the villas have been carved out of nature leaving the smallest footprint with a recycle/reuse policy that shows wisdom beyond greed or instant gratification. Luxury embedded within a socio-ecological conscious commitment where not one amenity was overlooked. As active vacationers, Ted and I had our choice of hikes, kayaking adventures to deserted beaches, world class regatta sail boats hovering on the impossibly blue Caribbean water, snorkeling for exotic shells, conchs, and starfish until we were exhausted, and a fast paced site seeing trip around the island hot spots near by while we tripped in and out of the registered boats and crews as they tempted the starting line for a race back to Jolly Harbor. For Ted, who is never over programmed but always on the move, the daily activity kept him warn out earning me long sun drenched naps in the afternoon with an ice cold Hermitage Frutti a mere stumble away from a well appointed white sheeted bed, overhanging mosquito netting (for the romantic in us all), and clean lines of a perfect bathroom with snow white towels and robes. Other reviews I read of Hermitage Bay did not even come close to accurately describing the grace and cohesion of the staff and owner. The comfortable atmosphere, scrumptious meals, and generous spirits were a symphony for our travel weary bones. The champagne breakfast, couples massage, and outdoor shower covered in exotic flowering vines made the days that we were there seem like an impossible dream. Not a day went by when the geckos, breakfast birds and mongoose would not casually check on our progress as if greeting a friendly neighbor with a nod a wink and then off. The final day came too quickly. Needless to say, I cried from the point we left the villa to the moment the car door closed. Paradise has been found and kept a piece of us both that will continually draw us back to the umbrellas in the drinks and sand and craving just one more day, just one more adventure. We can hardly wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple