“Excellent”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Saint Mary's
London
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

This was our third visit, and there will be a fourth for sure.

The hotel remembered us with a 'welcome back' and a bottle of Ruinart + canapes : very nice touch.

The main differences from the early days are :

(i) The staff are so much more confident and seem happy and eager to please
(ii) they have made tangible improvements to the infrastructure e.g. their kids' club is awesome, really world class, and they have a kids' buffet in the evenings which is complementary.
(iii) activities are great
(iv) gym is amazing - best equipment I've ever seen
(v) food is really excellent. Very inventive with top ingredients.

The only real negative is the beach : it is not the most beautiful on the island, more like a lake than azur waters you would expect. But that is a minor quibble. For couples with young families, I recommend this over almost all hotels in the Caribbean (particularly if flying direct from LGW).

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2007

Having just come back from the Carlisle Bay Hotel after a weeks R and R I thought I should share my experience with you. What a beautiful location, with lush tropical gardens, beautiful calm uncrowded beach, picture postcard stuff really nice.
Having visited many Caribbean islands in the past and there hotels I would say this is one of the nicest I've stayed at, I booked mainly because it came highly recommended in one of my Trip Advisor emails that I had received back in February enticing me to seek out the Caribbean sun. Upon investigation it had everything anyone could want on holiday, good food, nice surroundings, it's size- small by hotel standards meaning it wouldn’t be crowded or noisy, just peaceful which is what I wanted.
There's a beautiful large, warm uncrowded pool right next to a bar, sort of hidden away in the tropical gardens between the accommodation and the reception area. My room was magnificent right on the beach on the ground floor, just open the large glass sliding doors and there it is in all it's glory just like a postcard/ magazine absolutely stunning surroundings you could not want for more.
The beach is mostly hot, white sand with a gentle surf from the bay lapping up on the shores, very secluded and serene, lots of palm trees for shade, loungers scattered all over but not too many just enough, it was never really busy or noisy just enjoyable, they bring you bottled water and fresh fruit, towels and drinks all day long absolutely great. No one disturbs you- bliss.
There’s all sorts of non-motorised boats to use, snorkelling equipment, wind surf boards etc. if you wish to use it- free of charge.
We just chilled out for the week, had breakfast by room service every morning out on or porch, food choice absolutely amazing, all prepared fresh, even home made French toast which is to die for. If anything too much food, I must have gained a stone or two.
We had dinner most evenings by room service too as it seemed the most peaceful and relaxed way after a hard day sunning ourselves. We did eat in the Indigo on the beach restaurant one night but preferred the room service menu as it wasn’t as noveau- cuisine. All the food was great no complaints and room service is 24-7.
We stayed in an Ocean suite which is to a very high standard of fit and finish and large for 2 people. Very comfortable and pleasant.
Each night one of the maids comes and turns your bed down, puts out bottled water on a little cotton coaster, a cotton floor mat on either side of the bed so you don’t have to step out of your warm bed onto the cold ceramic floors, they also sort out your bathroom with fresh towels etc, top up the ice bucket etc. Great service, you feel like royalty. The only thing they didn't do was put toothpaste on your toothbrush for you, amazing service nothing was too much trouble.
I also liked the touch of everyone you speak to remembers your name and it's little touch's like that, that make you feel like a VIP. The attention to detail is great.
We hired a car at the airport which gave us the freedom to explore the island as I can only do so much sunbathing and the cab fares from the hotel into town were a bit on the pricey side, if you plan to trip out more than twice it's cheaper to hire a little jeep but be warned the roads are very bumpy and potholed with no road signs or logic to them, expect to get lost everytime you venture out and look out for all the livestock roaming on the roads, goats, cows. donkeys, chickens etc. really neat and always an adventure.
We checked out all the tourist spots we had read about prior to our holiday, Nelson's Dockyard - not much there just some over priced shops, St. John's small shopping district, lively and interesting, we managed to venture there twice to explore some more, no real parking mind you and busy full of crowded one way streets, Devil's Bridge- Hard to find, it's off a very bumpy dirt road on the right before you get to the dead end on the main tarmaced road, not touristy in the least. Stingray City- On route to Devil's Bridge again very hard to find down twisty one lane dirt track trough a strange sort of housing estate, did not have the bottle to swim the stingrays’ though- chickened out. Jolly Harbour not far from the resort where there’s a local supermarket and some neat places to eat.
Visited Shirley Heights on Sunday night for the BBQ and rum punch, what a great atmosphere, a bit crowded but a good night, take a taxi from the hotel as you'll never find your way back in the dark and obviously don’t want to drive after all the rum punch.
All in all a great holiday, my only real gripe is the cost of the mini bar in your room, where do they get off charging 25-30 USD for a half bottle of average wine, 6 USD for a local beer etc. It's cheaper to walk over to the bar or order it delivered to your room at least the wine selection is good, alternatively stock up at the local supermarket at Jolly Harbour.
I had one issue in the bar in Indigo on the beach where we had drinks prior to dinner one night whilst waiting for our table, you have to remember that everything they bring you, you have to sign for on your room tab, it's great when on the beach etc. as you never need to carry/ find a place to stash your cash etc. they are always waving little pieces of paper in front of you for signature almost like being at work, it becomes somewhat annoying, anyway on this night we both had a drink each, and then another both of which I signed for separately, we then went and had a lovely meal overlooking the torch lit beach al-fresco really nice, with the ever-present wind the candle on our table had extinguished itself and I reached for my lighter as I smoke, only to remember I had left my cigarettes on the table near the bar some 5 minutes earlier, so I went over to get them to find they hade been cleared away, so I asked the wait staff where my English cigarettes had gone and no on knew anything total denial, I was shocked as I'd only just sat at the table 5 minutes earlier and it was no where near busy, we were about the only ones there, I put it down to experience but was a bit put off by the staffs attitude given the wonderful service everywhere else, I said to my partner one of them probably smokes and I'm sure the odd free pack of cigarettes doesn't go amiss it's a bit like a tip/ fringe benefit of the job and I doubt they earn vast amounts of money, anyway, we had a bottle of wine with dinner as you do, when the bill came I noticed that they had added on the drinks we had previously, the ones I'd already signed for, so I spoke with the maitre-de, who spoke with staff and after a bit of an exchange, ie: me refusing to sign for something I hadn't had/ twice for the same thing, the bill was amended, but under great protest and it was almost as if they were calling me a liar/ insinuating it, quite rude infact, the maitre-de even tried to say they had lost the previous bills and I need to sign again which I refused to, I took the opportunity to re-raise my concerns over my cigarettes going missing stating that it was impossible in such a short space of time, she asked me to ID the person/ persons involved unfortunately I was not really paying that much attention as to who served me and could not. Anyway about 10 o'clock that evening I had a knock at the door and low and behold my cigarettes had miraculously turned up, very strange.
Oh and those drinks were on my final bill at the end, something to watch when your always signing for stuff and not fully checking the bill and given the somewhat high prices, well I'm sure larger parties are more at risk of this sort of thing and I guess it's another way for staff to make money if that's what's going on. Just be wary, it was another reason why I preferred the room service, I didn't want another encounter like that as you have to show yourself up a bit and others around you must wonder what's going on. A bit embarrassing.
Anyway that’s a very minor issue overall, but I felt I must share my experience.
That said you have to expect that you get what you pay for in this life and the service, surroundings, atmosphere and sheer peace is worth every penny. And yes I'd go back tomorrow if I could afford it, one of the best holiday's I've had and it will take some beating.
Well done to One Aldwych you have got it almost spot on sheer Caribbean paradise

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — The cost of the mini bar
6 Thank Steve099
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

We spent the first four nights (April 29 - May 3) of our honeymoon at Carlisle Bay. I’m currently sitting here at work daydreaming about going back. It was absolutely perfect – everything we could have asked for.

From the moment you land in Antigua, everything feels five star. We were on a full plane from San Juan, yet Carlisle Bay was the only hotel who had a representative waiting for the plane. From there, we were taken by private car to the resort by a very personable driver (Winston) who gave us cold towels and water for the ride. We got to the hotel at almost midnight and were handed a drink and taken straight to our room. Room service is 24 hours so were able to get something to eat. Speaking of room service, it is exceptional how fast they bring anything you order.

The hotel is only 3 years old and it really shows. The rooms are new, modern and very spacious. We stayed in Ocean Suite 306 – I highly recommend being on the third floor. Each balcony has this great double lounge chair – we would read out there in the afternoon with the ocean crashing in the background. The beach access from the rooms is great. At many hotels, “ocean front” is not really ocean front, but here it is.

Prior to arriving, we had read so many complaints on here about the service. I really believe the people who wrote them just like to complain. Though some of the employees were not outwardly friendly, this is the Caribbean, and they were by no means rude. We found that if you were nice to them, they would open up and be very friendly and talkative back. I actually would say that the service was one of the best parts – the resort really makes you feel like you can have anything you want at any time.

I would recommend the private jetty dinner – we set this up ahead of time and it was great. Kevin, the server, was the best employee we encountered there. If you pay for the celebration package, the dinner is included (as well as a couples’ massage and the third floor room) and it was definitely worth it.

Regarding kids, yes there were some, but they were some of the best behaved kids I have ever encountered. I came away thinking that perhaps British children are simply better mannered than American kids! Also, the families seem to primarily congregate around the pool, so if you want to avoid them, it isn’t hard.

On our last day, we were approached by the hotel’s general manager who inquired about our stay, asked if they had room to improve, etc. He spent about ten minutes talking to us, and knew who we were, what room we had stayed in and that it was our honeymoon. I thought this was a really nice touch and exemplifies my overall opinion of Carlisle Bay – all the amenities of a large resort like the Four Seasons with a small resort personal feel.

3 Thank ctysdal
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

After just returning from a fabulous week at Carlisle Bay it is very difficult to know where to start in writing this review. First simple statement is that If you can afford it, then you simply must go.

Both the hotels website and other positive comments on this site do the holiday full and complete justice, which was our original reason for booking this particular location. We learned that most guests are British with a few American's and other Europeans there for good measure. Talking to the staff and from our own perspective it is on the whole the American's that are never quite satisfied with either the hotel,ambience or service (see some of the very few negative comments on here ). My partner and i found everything to be first class and comfortably exceeded our own very high expectations.

On arrival after a long flight from the UK you are immediately closeted in a warm embrace of professional yet relaxed introductions. No check in formalities just a cool towel and glass of chilled nectar as you are briefly familiarised with the hotel complex and escorted to your room. Our luggage followed a few moments later and we seemed to leave all our cares and anxiety after a long journey firmly at the secure gates to the resort.

We particularly liked the relaxed dress code and intimate nature of the various buildings and beautifully cultivated tropical gardens. Guests with small children,retired and single sex couples as well as old fashioned romantics all intergrated peacefully into the lush surroundings of this top quality private resort.

The ocean view suites are rightly aimed toward the couples market and following advice from this site we reserved a top floor room whose outlook and vista from both the bed and balcony never failed to disappoint. Another great tip was to order breakfast to be served in your own room at a table on your balcony overlooking life,the beach and the sea.......but at a time to suit you.

In the evening the tireless maid staff would return to turn over your bed,supply fresh towels,draw the curtains and prepare the room for a night of blissful and unashamed relaxation.

Afternoon tea was a delight with a selection of freshly prepared light bites to be served wherever you requested....... by the sea,by the pool,in your room,in a restaurant. My partner and i were concerened at the thought of not leaving the complex for a week but the sheer relaxation and pace of daily life which you yourself dictated meant it unneccessary to leave.

We had a private dinner served on the beach one evening surrounded by flaming torches and romantic candle light (book early for this or the jetty dinnerl) .It was a delight to be served individually by Kevin who is a real asset to the hotel and a pleasure to be served by. Nothing was too much trouble for him or many of the other staff we encountered during our stay.

We enjoyed fantastic weather and were very sad to leave and return to a grey overcast UK. A few tips.........dont bother taking your own DVD's for the room. They probably wont work (as our did not) due to regional coding and the hotel has a vast selection available to you.Try the watersports if you can. There is a Hobie cat,windsurfer, and sea kayak along with trained instructors who never tire of helping you with sound nautical advice.......delivered in a uniquely Caribbean way. On the beach you will be enthrawled by the Bay's resident pelican as he/she swoops into the water to catch his breakfast,lunch and dinner. I asked one of the staff if the pelican had a name. "Sure he has a name..........he's called Pelican !!!! ". Well ask a stupid question and yes ........

We cannot wait to return and have no hesitation at all in recomending the resort tour friends and family. A truly wonderful holiday experience of a life-time !!

• Liked — Sheer luxury
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank R0b_Liz
Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

After a week on board a boat with 12 others for Antigua Sailing Week, I was more than looking forward to 7 days of being looked after in luxurious surroundings. Making the decision to book here was not easy - cheap it 'aint! - but from the moment we arrived we realised that we'd made the right decision.

The welcome we received upon arrival was superb and the little touches of everyone knowing our name and providing us with refreshments and in-room check-in left us feeling like movie stars.

We just loved the design and layout of the hotel - everything is close to hand but you don't feel like you're on top of anyone and you certainly don't get disturbed by other guests. The rooms are just perfect - not fussily decorated and the day bed on the balcony is a perfect way to while away the hot midday sun. Although we didn't use the tennis courts (it was just way too hot!) we made full use of all the facilities with no problems or gripes - pool, cinema, hobie-cats, kayaks, spa, internet, library etc.

Breakfasts were superb and there was amazing choice - it was entirely possible to make it through the whole day until dinner on just breakfast! Most nights found us in East where the food was exceptional and the cocktails delicious. We only ate once in Indigo and although the food was good, it did not seem to have the extra 'WOW' that East did.

There is some criticism on this board that service here is 'below standard'. Whilst I agree that the level of service is variable, we never found that it was poor and I can only assume that those who found it so did not venture outside of the hotel. Having been in Antigua a week prior to the hotel stay, and making quite a few day trips, I have to admit that service in Antigua in general is absolutely appalling. I have never been anywhere where you are treated with so much disdain and open hostility. In comparison to this, the service in the hotel was positively brilliant, and any small slips here and there were in no way as bad as on the island in general.

Other criticisms relate to the quality of the water in the bay. It is true that if you are expecting crystal blue water and pure white sand to lounge on day after day then you will be disappointed., but you can't beat the peace and tranquility of the secluded bay. And to be honest, I really didn't think it was *that* bad at all - just not 'perfect'! A quick taxi journey up the road will take you to some gorgeous beaches which are more exposed and with less shelter, but more of the pure white/crystal blue variety. The definite PLUS about being on the hotel bay beach is that you don't get hassled by locals trying to sell you things/loungers etc, which can get quite intimidating on some of the more popular destinations.

The only thing that I would definitely make potential visitors aware of, is that the apartment style hotel seems to make this a VERY popular choice with families. We were there between 5-11 May and there were lots of under 4s with one or two 6/7 year olds. Now this doesn't bother us at all - all the children were excellently behaved and we only really noticed this at breakfast and when using the pool around 4pm in the afternoon when they all seem to come out. But if you're after a no kids venue, then this probably wouldn't suit you.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Carlise Bay - I'm sure the fact that my boyfriend proposed to me on the last night there is clouding my judgement somewhat :) - but I feel that every penny that we spent was 100% well-spent. Don't delay - book today!!!

4 Thank Tweetinat
Suffolk, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

My wife and I found mixed reviews on here a little worrying but having just returned I wonder if there are either two Carlisle Bays or whether some people just like a moan !!

My wife and I have no children and are not child friendly. However dont be put off if you are the same - we had an Ocean Suite and there are no children at that end of the beach - they are all at the other end with the Beach Suites. In any case all the children we saw were very well behaved and most of the time you would not have known they were there

We have not stayed in the Caribbean before and were warned that the service was slow.......well I can say I have experienced much slower, much worse and less pleasant service in New York, London and Paris.

There were a few quirks which really should be ironed out - my wife and I took to playing "guess what item would be missed from the servicing of the room each day" but a quick call to guest services would fix anything in five minutes. If you wanted to let this minor thing ruin your holiday you could but just be Antiugan, relax and dont worry about it

The food was very good and breakfast on our balcony each day arrived on time and all present and correct

The beach is not caribbean blue but this is due to the water course into the sea at the far side of the bay - plans are afoot to reroute this apparently which will improve the colour

Watersports are fantastically well managed and supervised

Dont take too many books as the library is fantastic.

All the things we booked with guest services were perfectly arranged and delivered

In summary we would go back tomorrow and either we got very lucky with our trip or some reviewers expectations are stratopsheric

• Liked — The overall experience is great
  • Disliked — nothing - dont let the niggles ruin it for you
4 Thank Andrew_Deveney
Scotland, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2007

Just spent 9 days at Carlisle Bay. Everything we expected.......and more! First of all it must be said that no matter what you may read to the contrary, this is a deluxe resort. To my husband and I, 5 star quality is much more than ornate room dressings and hotel staff that look you up and down to suss out whether they think you can afford to be at their domain. It is the sheer pleasure of having staff who you look after you from the moment you arrive till the moment you check out, who remember your name when they address you, and who make you feel nothing is too much trouble. Food that is absolutley delicious (particularly breakfasts!!!) beautiful, spacious and spotless suites along with a quiet and iddylic location. To us this is 5 star quality. This is the Carribean, it is not London or New York and you should expect a slower pace of life that befits the surrounding. So you have to wait a little for meals to be served and room service etc. So what!! You are on holiday so chill out!!!! We have travelled extensively and believe me we are critical and choosy. If you want the qualities we found below the surface,then Carlisle Bay will not fail you. If you are more interested in the outer packaging then stay away as you are probably not the type of clientele the hotel wants as customers anyway.

• Liked — Simple elegance and impeccable quality
  • Disliked — Perhaps could offer more in house activity
2 Thank Linda C
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews

Been to Carlisle Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!