This is a wonderful hotel, about 45mins drive from the airport, set on a perfect crescent of palmfringed white sand looking out towards Monserrat.Everything is well maintained, with gorgeous tropical gardens.
We had an Ocean suite, third floor.It was large, with very comfortable bed, plenty of drawer and wardrobe space, and ensuite with shower cubicle, huge bath and 2 basins. The windows here looked out over the mangroves with lots of water-birds. Down 2 steps from the bed area was a lounge with large sofa and armchairs, TV with DVD player, and from this led patio doors on to a large terrace with day bed,table etc. The rooms furniture was too dark for my taste, but everything else was perfect. It not only had the usual kettle, safe, minibar etc, but useful extras lke citronella candles, insect repellant and mosquito pastille burner and spray- although we were not troubled by insects much, daily fresh fruit and ice. Third floor rooms have the advantage of high vaulted ceilings with no-one walking on your ceiling, but are a 30 step climb, which could be a problem for some people. Also the room is at the level of the palmtree tops, so the view over the bay was a little restricted by the fronds. We loved it anyway.
Dining is at Indigo on the beach for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with the Asian restaurant East for dinner, and Ottimo, Italian based, for lunch and 2 dinners per week. The food was excellent, and cooked to order- no buffet breakfast here. We found the service exemplary. We also liked the lunch boxes you could have served to you on your beach lounger, and the afternoon tea provided complimentarily wherever you wanted to have it.
The hotel provides some free activities. We did the rainforest hike with Silvester- quite strenuous but worth it for the superb views. We also went snorkelling on Cades reef and saw a reef shark- magical. Be warned though- there are very few places so book as soon as you get to the resort to stand any chance of a place. We tried and were told they were booked for the entirety of our stay. However sensing our disappointment they put on an extra trip just for us- a good example of their excellent customer service.
The staff were a credit to the hotel- helpful, smiling and always calling us by our names. I could not fault them.
There is one big BUT about the hotel though,if you are staying as a couple wanting a relaxing break, as we were. There are a LOT of children, and some behaved very badly, spoiling the atmosphere in Indigo and making a pleasant dining experience here difficult. There is an adult only part, but it isn't big enough to accommodate all the couples who want to avoid all the screaming little darlings. East and Ottimo do have some adult only evenings, which was a relief, but breakfast was a bit of a zoo! Also the families completely monopolise the swimming pool- not a problem for us as we liked the beach, but I really feel the resort needs an adult only pool.
This is the reason for a 4* review- with better behaved children (or none preferably!) this hotel would have been perfect. I would love to return, but would make sure our stay did not coincide with UK half term, USA Spring break, or, as this time, Canadian March break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carlisle Bay on Antigua is one of the leading luxury Caribbean resorts, its accommodation designed to allow for both families and couples to holiday in peace. Both kinds of traveler have a dedicated end of the resort, which allows for everyone the tranquility of the spectacular beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Carlisle Bay Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlisle Bay Antigua Hotel Saint Mary`s
- Carlisle Bay Hotel Antigua
- Carlisle Bay Resort Antigua
- Carlisle Bay Antigua Antigua And Barbuda