“Not only is this the most beautiful island, this is an incredible resort.”

Carlisle Bay Antigua
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Saint Mary's
Columbus, Ohio
“Not only is this the most beautiful island, this is an incredible resort.”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband & I have just returned from eight spectacular days at the lovely Carlisle Bay Resort. We were visiting Antigua to attend our best friend's wedding commitment beach ceremony to a local Antiguan on March 3, 2014. We arrived five days ahead in order to share in the pleasure of the pre-ceremony excitement ... And that, indeed, we did!
We arrived at the airport which was only 35 to 45 minutes away from the Carlisle. At the resort, we were received by the very friendly, kind and trusting team of staff with those big smiles that we will never forget. As we were being escorted to our room, we were given a tour along the way through the large open air lobby, by the three restaurants and large pool and then down the lush tropical garden paths. Our suite was immaculately clean and large, with a comfortable bed, living area and a wonderful ocean & beach view. The large open air lanai had a sleeping bed and dining table with two chairs. Just perfect!!
The Carlisle beach & bay is beautiful all in itself. It would have been easy to stay on-sight the entire stay, however everyday we visited another amazingly breathtaking beach and enjoyed wonderful late lunches at the local restaurants ... either beachside or harbor side. Each day was better than the next ... More lovely and more memorable. Then every evening we would "come home" to our Carlisle Bay family.
This is the resort to call your Antigua holiday "home". It is peaceful, quiet and quite romantic, with service that is top notch. Although we did see families at our delicious breakfasts every morning, we never heard them or even saw them on the large curving beach.
The resort is incredible, really incredible. We have traveled world wide for years and this is one of our very favorites. One last note to share; the best "gem" of this fantastic resort is the STAFF! This team offers spectacular service ... understated yet full blown. Each one of the team staff members made my husband and I feel like the service they provided to us came from their heart. It could not have been better. Stay here .... You will create great memories.

Room Tip: The suites are large, clean and very comfortable. There are three floors and all three levels offer...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NancyR90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Toronto, ON
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have travelled extensively through the Caribbean, and had a wonderful vacation at this resort. We have two small children (toddler under 3 and a baby under 1 year) and chose this resort particularly because it was billed as very child friendly, and wasn't a large theme resort (Beaches).

I cannot say enough about how wonderful the staff and service we received here was. They were just fabulous with our kids. Our son was sick the first week we were here, and they were so nice about changing sheets multiple times a day and bringing in pedialyte for him. Being sick at a hotel is never fun, but I really think this is the best place we could have been. The beachfront terrace rooms were fantastic in our opinion for giving us a break while the kids were napping - i.e. we could set up the baby monitor outside and enjoy ourselves on the beach without being stuck in the room. We also used the kids club in the mornings and the babysitting service in the evenings so we could enjoy some adult time. I felt absolutely comfortable with the level of care from both, the ladies we met were so lovely with our kids and truly seemed to enjoy them. What surprised me is how everyone at the resort was so friendly with our kids - from the restaurant staff to housekeeping they were just so welcoming.

We have very high standards for food, and kept commenting on how great everything was. I would truly recommend this resort for the food, we did not have a single bad meal. I have a serious food allergy and they were more than willing to accommodate me. The kids meals were way better than you usually see on a kids menu (all included a vegetable, not just fried food!) and we were able to order fresh purees at every meal for our baby which was amazing.

We had the unique experience of being here before the midterm break, and during it - I will say the resort was nicer when it was quieter (no issues with saving chairs etc.) however when it was busier, they were full swing for their kids programs etc. so it's a bit of a trade off.

Finally, my one critique of the resort is that the rooms are starting to look and feel a bit tired and dated. For example, we moved rooms halfway through our stay, and our second bed was pretty tired and really needed replacement, and there was not enough clothes storage in the main room. They are absolutely fine and clean, just not a "wow" experience. An refurbishment would change my rating from 4 stars to 5 stars as everything else we experienced at this hotel was of 5 star quality.

Overall, we plan on returning to this resort with our children for a very family friendly vacation with great food!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MsTO
new york
Reviewed February 28, 2014

From our first telephone contact it was clear that service and guest comfort was primary. We needed a room with some handicap aids and there was definitely a "can do' attitude which wasn't very evident in other Carribean properties.
For years we had been going to La Samanna in St. Martin however their prices and the island's overdevelopment steered us elsewhere.
We tried Galley Bay in Antigua. Great value and a nice property but the service was not uber luxury. Next came Curtain Bluff. This is a terrific place...lots of included stuff to do, gracious warm service. They do have a thing against TVs. We like the option -so a return was not inevitable. The beach was also small.
On to Carlisle Bay.
This resort has a beautiful location and a decent sized beach with protected swimming. It's contemporary decor was initially jarring but soon we embraced whitewashed woods and sparse but dramatic decor. We had a beach front suite second foor. The rooms were well appointed.and good sized. views wonderful. the beach a short hop.

Carlisle Bay now has an all inclusive plan for meals but we found out it was $450 extra for 2 a day. A very bad deal in our eyes. Unless you are big drinkers and eaters al la carte is best especially with a room rate that includes breakfast. Food is fairly reasonable. There is an open air dining area which is open for all meals and very pleasant, a small pizza place by the pool open for lunch and some dinners, and a high syled air conditioned Asian food restaurant open only for dinner. Food in all places was quite good as was the service. If you are on the al la carte plan, room service is avaialble without extra charges...its a nice way to enjoy the day and the views.

Water sports activities were included in the daily rates as was twice weekly snorkel trip. If you were interested in a special hike the resort will provide a quide to take you for gratis. Other services and yoga etc were extra and pricey. We went to the spa but were not impressed.

On to kids..tthis is a very kid friendly place. In fact the resort has half of the property for kid friendly rooms and a kiddie day program. While there was some separation if you are not fond of kids, do not come here

Our one big complaint about Carlisle Bay is the pool area. It is actually lovely and comfortable BUT it's kid friendly. To see babies in diapers in the pool made us turn around and leave. A resort of this caliber should have a separate kids pool as this arrangement is disgusting and unsanitary.

We stayed at the beach where there was drink and snack service, calm waters and plenty of shade if needed. would have liked the pooltho.
would we return? the gracious service was such a plus and the sense of welcome so pleasant that we probably would. but we sure would wish for a second pool!!

Room Tip: Ground floor gets a lot of pass by viewers. Second provides nice views. thirs floor is two flights o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank susu9
Mandeville, Louisiana
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We've traveled the Carribean extensively and Carlisle Bay was on par with most five star resorts in the islands. This was a great place to come if you want down time on the beach or by the pool. Some other reviewers complained about kids and noise but there seemed to be very few of them and all were below school age. It's a seasonal thing I guess. Others complained about guests claiming choice beach chairs early in the morning. We went out mid morning and had a choice of seating. There were no bad spots on the beach but this agiain may be a seasonal thing with large crowds. The staff was very responsive and friendly and non intrusive. Our dining experiences were all quite pleasant. If you're looking for a great week in Antigua, Carlisle Bay will provide the perfect setting.

Room Tip: They all seemed nice to me.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank khanks70471
Kent
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My Husband and I have just literally returned from 11 nights at Carlisle Bay - I had read previous reviews before booking the hotel and was worried about the comments of families there however we booked out of school holidays and were lucky in that there was minimum children there - of course we did still have the occasional family - British I am shamed to say who still allowed their children to run around the breakfast room whilst the poor staff were carrying hot drinks but this really was one family who left quite early in our trip.
We found the Carlisle Bay to be an excellent choice of hotel - you honestly will not find a friendlier and more helpful bunch of staff anywhere and they all seemed to really enjoy working there. From everyone from the gardener to the concierge staff everyone greeted us and asked how our day had been - they were excellent. I read an earlier comment on here where someone said only 2 out of 10 staff were friendly - I can only assume the guy walked around with his eyes closed as we never found one member of staff who I could say was not friendly.

The room was more than we had hoped - we stayed on the top floor of an ocean suite - it was really quiet which we wanted - the cleanliness was excellent -the room was a really good size and the view was overlooking the beach and sea - we honestly could not have wanted more from the room.

We made full use of the spa - had massages, facials, hair styled and Reiki healing and they were all excellent. I had Peggy for my Reki and hair styling and she was so friendly and very professional and really made me feel at ease. My Husband had reflexology twice as it was so good. The spa was worth every penny.

We learnt to use the Hobie Cat from the watersports - something that has been available at many hotels we have stayed in the past but I have never felt I wanted to do it - again the staff there were excellent.

Both restaurants were really good - a full choice of dishes and we only left the hotel once for lunch.

Staff that really stood out at the resort included Myrleen - a waitress in the restaurant who went out of her way to accomodate us, Michael - the main barman was excellent as we used to sit at the bar and have a drink before dinner, Vaughn on the beach could not have done more for us and Hilma and Barrymore both excellent on the beach and as I said Peggy in the Spa.

The concierge were also excellent - I needed some antibiotics whilst there and I had a call from a Dr and the antibiotics in my hand within an hour - all arranged by the concierge. Better service than I would get in the UK and not the sort of service I expected from a small island but the hotel obviously has everything set in place for guests who may fall ill during their stay.

The only criticism I would have is that there is a tray charge if you want breakfast (or whichever meal) in your room however some guests felt they did not want to eat breakfast in the restaurant with small children basically as the parents seemed to ignore the children and play on their phones so I didn't think for breakfast the other guests should be penalised - however I would like to say when we stayed there it really was one family in particular who were only there for 5 days of our stay.

I am not sure I would want to stay at Carlisle Bay during the school holidays as I feel it would be too busy with children - as long as guests know this before they book I don't feel they would have a problem as the hotel does separate families from adults only on the beach but the restaurants may be busy - in saying this we are already planning to return at a time which will not be busy for families and would not hesitate recommending this hotel to our friends. The staff give the hotel a great atmosphere as they cannot do enough for you which made our holiday!!!

Room Tip: Top floor ocean suite - don't hear any other suite walk past the room and excellent views. Olde...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank loobiloo20
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We visited the Carlisle bay for the second time and loved it just as much, if not more than our first visit. The staff are helpful and extremely friendly but not intrusive. The food is good and the managers are always around the hotel and restaurants. My only complaint was the sun bed reserving that got increasingly prolific during our stay. One morning I looked out at the beach at 5.30am and all the beds facing the sea had been reserved. Not sure how you stop this but......

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank J B
London
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We visited in late January after the Christmas crowds had left and had a blissfully peaceful week at this elegant resort with fantastic service. Our Ocean Suite was vast and very well equipped, (we especially appreciated the automatic expresso machine) although it was 33 steps up to the top floor and some may have found that too much, one is rewarded with high ceiling and a great view over palms on beach directly outside the door. Service on the beach and by pool is first class. The restaurants, Indigo and East offer excellent food but at a price. There are many truly excellent restaurants on the island offering rather better value although not quite so convenient. The hotel is well placed half way between Jolly Harbour and English Harbour and with a hire car its possible to see the whole island and eat out well. Taxis are easily available too. The last night, Sunday, there was a buffet only night at Indigo. We hate buffets but had no choice. We would have gone out if we had known there would be no option..we asked in advance but were wrongly reassured. But breakfast was excellent and having the daily US and UK papers printed out in full daily was a bonus.

We have given this place five stars and we mean it, but there are a few niggles. The beach is perhaps not the best on the island, there are some nearby that have better sand and clearer water but the water sport facilities are excellent and the water sport staff very helpful. The pool is lovely, huge and safe, the perfect spot in the shade was always available and afternoon tea was delivered regularly at 4.00pm by a charming cheery waiter.

The free bikes were unusable, poorly maintained, chains adrift and simply not good enough...perhaps not very popular and therefore ignored by staff. One of us brought a cycling helmet, a waste of space. Come on Carlisle Bay, you can do better than this. The gift shop was staffed intermittently but sold only very expensive clothes and nick-nacks, you'd think they might have some essentials.

Overall though a heavenly fortnight and left us yearning to go back to Antigua.

Room Tip: Ocean suites are well located with great sunset views, but on three floors. Request a lower floor if...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Bolans
Curtain Bluff Resort
Curtain Bluff Resort
#2 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to Carlisle Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!