Let's start with the facts of our trip. We were assured by Scott Dunn and the Hotel that our room was "fantastic" for a family of 4. Two adults and two small children under the age of four. The room that was provided to us was a 2 bedroom Ocean Suite. In one of the bedrooms they had a desk, a tv cabinet two kids beds a baby cot and all the closets. There was barely enough room for the mosquitos to move around never mind a family of 4. Taking a closer look at the room, we noticed a number of issues:
-The place with filthy
-The furniture was at least 15 years old
-We had 1 chair provided and a small outside table for a family of four. The chair itself had a broken leg.
Our luxurious welcome package was 3 kiwis, no knife to cut them and water which we needed a map to find. It was tucked into a cabinet in the bedroom, under the TV.
Upon demanding either our money back or a flight home, they then moved us to more acceptable connecting room set-up. Interestingly enough when I called the hotel two days before arriving they stated, we have NO connecting rooms in the hotel. They DID NOT say they had none available. They said they had NONE. Interesting how the management team can build whole blocks with connecting rooms in two days if they were not lying.
As for the staff, 2 out of 10 are pleasant. The remaining 8 look at you like you are unreasonable for wanting a degree of urgent service for paying a fortune for a holiday stay.
On to the new room in the new part of the hotel.
1) You have to wait about 5 minutes to get hot water in the showers.
2) There is a pond behind the resort which has a bad sulphur smell to it.
3) Each morning at 5pm, we had a water rat / squirrell visiting the internal air conditioning unit and running around desperately trying to get out. Scared the hell out of us. Once we realised he lived there, it was OK.
4) I didn't see many mosquitos in this room. The bites on my ankles were either from the sand or the bed. I'm not sure which one.
Interestingly, in general chats with other guests, the conclusion was the same. I'd never come back. the more blunt chats were "complete waste of money".
Perhaps this hotel was good 15 years ago but either the financial crisis stopped investment, the owners have got lazy or the star rating system has got two lax. Travel Lodge in the Uk is cleaner and perhaps a bit more realistic about where they sit in the global quality rankings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carlisle Bay on Antigua is one of the leading luxury Caribbean resorts, its accommodation designed to allow for both families and couples to holiday in peace. Both kinds of traveler have a dedicated end of the resort, which allows for everyone the tranquility of the spectacular beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Carlisle Bay Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlisle Bay Antigua Hotel Saint Mary`s
- Carlisle Bay Hotel Antigua
- Carlisle Bay Resort Antigua
- Carlisle Bay Antigua Antigua And Barbuda