“absolute relaxation”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Saint Mary's
New York, New York, United States
“absolute relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Everything was superb. One of the best places I`ve ever visited. When choosing a hotel to stay in I was particularly looking for a quite, secluded one, located autonomously and far away from other hotels, restauraunts, gatherings etc. The food, serivce, cleanliness were faultless. The only issue was that there were quite a few families with small kids, which wasn`t an issue at the beach, which is private and has plenty of space for everyone, however, sometimes during the dinner it wasn`t very nice to hear some kids crying or shouting. Overall, I give the hotel 5 stars and would recomend it to everyone who wants to get away from noise, irritating crowds of people, and just relax being able to read, think, and meditate without being disturbed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kirill G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks mid August on the all inclusive package. Great value for money. Food was of a high quality with a good selection and drink choice was excellent. Just to be clear this was not the standard all inclusive fare but a true a la carte all inclusive with quality European wines.

The beach terrace suites are literally on the beach and perfect for a family of 4. The kids loved the kids club and the baby sitting was superb.

Last year we stayed in Barbados and loved the availability of excellent restaurants near the hotel. You do not have that choice in Antigua and thus you are restricted to the 3 hotel restaurants.This is not a criticism but just something you should consider if you do not like being stuck in the hotel complex.Overall nothing beats waking up each morning with the beach on your doorstep and a lovely view of the Caribbean.

Where else can you sit on your patio and relax whilst your kids are in the sea in full view. The sea was calm throughout and perfect for toddlers.

The staff in the resort were excellent and knew us by name from day one. It is the Caribbean so do not expect Far East service standards .This is all part of the relaxing Caribbean experience.

We are already talking about booking for next year - it was the perfect relaxing family break. Well done and thank you to all at Carlisle Bay.

Room Tip: With a young family select the ground floor beach terrace suites.
3 Thank CAandfamily
St. John's, Antigua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay at this wonderful hotel and can recommend it thoroughly.

From the moment I was greeted at the entrance to the moment I left I felt as though I was in another world. A pampering paradise! It was divine!

My fantastic room overlooked the beach (see photos). Apart from every amenity you would expect from a 5 star hotel it had a Gaggia coffee maker in the room!!! Great for a caffeine addict like me. The room service breakfast (see photo) was delicious (breakfast in the restaurant was great as well). As for the bathroom....well the walk in shower, HUGE bath, his and hers sinks, luxury bathrobes and slippers....sheer luxury.

Within moments of lying down on the beach I was brought a cool box with 6 small bottles of cold water which were replenished in the afternoon. As the day wore on I was offered fruit skewers and refreshing fruit cocktails as well as full bar service. On one day, I had lunch on the beach (a Caribbean Bento Box) which was delicious. It had been very difficult to make a choice from the yummy menu. Other days I ate at the pool restaurant and had a pizza cooked in the wood oven which was superb (look out for Faye, the lovely waitress in the pool restaurant who suggested I had a half and half pizza as I just couldn't make my mind up - what a lovely lady). All other meals in the hotel were first rate, especially the seafood special in East, the fusion Asian restaurant open in the evenings. If I hadn't run out of time I'd have tried the lobster dishes, they looked wonderful.

My stay was during the Olympics and it was wonderful to watch the opening ceremony in the hotel's cinema with Prosecco and popcorn. A great atmosphere.

I would thoroughly recommend a treatment at the spa, especially with Peggy, my therapist who gave me a wonderful pedicure and had me in stitches of laughter. She also gave me a wonderful, quiet relaxing massage and I was delighted when she decided to use hot stones on my aching shoulder muscles even though it wasn't a hot stone massage. I thought that went over and above.

Over and above is how I would describe the service and staff of the hotel, the amenities, the room and the food. Although I visited in low season the hotel was 3/4 full but I still managed to find peace and quiet on the beach and throughout the hotel. The pool was heaven for the children who all looked as though they were having a marvellous time. In fact, I think this is the first hotel I have ever stayed at where I didn't hear ANYONE with a complaint. Let's face it, that's almost unheard of. Can't wait to return

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room on the beach ask for a suite near the hotel jetty
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank suefieldscript
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Maybe it was due to the fact that the hotel was only 45% full and they were in their very last weeks before closing but there was a clear lack of staff, lack of communication and lack of wanting to be there on the staffs part. The accommodation was very nice, basic but had lovely views. We didn't have any little children travelling with us but for those in the hotel they all seemed to love the kids club. The beach was private and highly relaxing and th staff on the beach were probably the best throughout the place. The asian restaurant served delicious food but the decor definitely needs refurbishing as it looks like you're eating in a box room with a few drapes and far too dark. Lunch service was appalling, it took about 10minutes to lay a table, drinks came after asking for them several times after 25minutes sometimes after the food. Little things like asking for more oil for your bread and having to ask 3 different people for them all to 'forget'. The actual stay was very relaxing but you did feel a bit contained with only 2 restaurants and all others a good half an hour drive away at the least. Cans of fizzy drinks like coke etc were all 5USD (over 3GPB) which was naughty and taxi fares were ridiculously over priced too. Just a warning that everything comes with a cost but as an escape the views and scenery are faultless.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
jjonathanreynolds, General Manager at Carlisle Bay Antigua, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Sweetee 1997,

I was pleased to read that you appreciated the resort’s accommodation and beach, and enjoyed Chef’s food whilst on holiday at the resort. For many these are among the most significant factors in choosing to return to a destination. I can share that starting October our third restaurant Ottimo!, besides serving lunch, will also have an inspiring dinner menu, with all dishes cooked in our wood fired oven, to further enhance our guests’ dinner options.

I am sorry that you experienced some lapses in attentiveness, I fully understand this must have been frustrating at the time, and for this I apologise. We would always wish a stay to be nothing but excellent. Your comments have been taken on board constructively and have been shared with the appropriate managers.

We do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back at some point and to providing a really fabulous experience for you and family.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Reynolds
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Just back from CB on all inclusive package. Was a bit concerned going to Caribbean with 2 young kids but mind put at rest immediately. Resort was very welcoming with wonderful, friendly staff and bent over backwards on many occasions. Real value for money versus staying in Europe. Only slight negative for me was the variety of choice around dining with only 2 restaurants although mitigated by a good solid menu in each with a broad variety and without compromising quality or service. Accomodation spacious and of high quality fit out. We will certainly return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank SMFamily
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We have just had an amazing time at Carlisle Bay in Antigua. We stayed in a beautiful Carlisle Suite on the beach front. The hotel is beautiful from the moment you are greeted upon arrival with a welcome drink and taken to your room. Check in is a breeze with no queuing and is quite a laid back affair, setting the scene for the next few days. We traveled as a family with two children aged 9 & 12, they did not want to leave after the week we just had there! There is as much or as little as you want to do, whether you want to go on the Rain forest zip line, go out on a fast boat, watch a film at the cinema, or simply sit at the beach and have attended service, you will simply love the place. All the staff, and I mean all the staff are fabulous and can assist with every need. We stayed on the chill out all-in package and this is so good when you have kids who enjoy smoothies, milk shakes and ice cream as much as ours. The restaurants are very good and provide quite a variety, they will even adapt any dish to suit your needs. The resort has a library, gym and super tennis courts all of which we did try. The kids club was such that again you can use it as much as you like and choose the activities that suit your kids. The spa is really good and provide a variety of treatments. We enjoyed being at Carlisle Bay and would recommend it to anyone and especially if you have children as the staff really make it special for them.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Paul B
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We arrived at Antigua airport hot and exhausted, travelling with several family members including our two children (aged four and eighteen months). Antigua airport is apparently being rebuilt, with the new airport to open in 2014. At the moment, be warned, it is HORRENDOUS. Through a scrum of baggage collection, endless immigrations queues full of screaming children (ours) and no air conditioning, an official in a uniform asked us where we were staying. We had arranged transfers through Carlisle Bay and mentioned as much. Immediately we were whisked through the baggage control, past a scrum of taxis and into a car.

From the moment we arrived at Carlisle Bay, it was heavenly. As we pulled up past reassuring security gates, a lovely lady appeared and greeted us, and our children, by name. We were taken into a chilled lounge and given fresh fruit juice, introduced to several staff members and then taken to our beach suite.

Our room was a beach terrace suite. The doors from the master bedroom opened onto a deck, from which it was five steps to a sun lounger and about ten more steps to the sea. The view was incredible and even though it was August which I know is low season, it was hot and sunny.

I'm in danger of writing an essay here. What do you need to know about Carlisle Bay? The staff are incredibly attentive and helpful. They will go the extra mile to help you. As you sunbathe, people will appear with a fresh mango smoothie or selection of fruit, and always a coolbox of water on ice. It is beautifully decorated and located. We were on an all-inclusive package, which sometimes means mediocre catering and having to pay extra for the good stuff. Not at Carlisle Bay. The food was really really fantastic and it really was all-inclusive - great cocktails and decent wine. We ended up paying for very few extras and certainly no unpleasant surprises. The kids club is well run and has good facilities. The resort is small but there is still plenty of variety in terms of activities and restaurants. It felt very safe and we were happy to let our children roam quite freely. It is not a cheap place to stay, and we were a little concerned we might feel disappointed. We didn't. All in all, it was very relaxing and exceeded all our expectations.

Downsides: (apart from the airport - not Carlisle Bay's fault). The only thing really is that ordering food/drinks etc was often very slow. I think this might just be the Caribbean pace of life but with a toddler exploding from hunger it can be frustrating to wait for your order (or to wait for your first drink of the night once the children are finally in bed). There was always somebody there to help you, it's just that sometimes the response took a while to appear. The room was stunning but slightly lacking in storage space, if you are travelling as a family. Truthfully, it is hard to think of downsides and even this is a bit nitpicking.

It was paradise. We are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: Can't comment beyond beach terrace suite being excellent - not everyone wants to be right on the...
4 Thank Alex M
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews

Been to Carlisle Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!