I write this review while sitting at the desk in my junior suite at Curtain Bluff, looking toward the ocean beach that is right outside my door. We have had a wonderful time during our first stay at this excellent resort, and prefer Curtain Bluff to, e.g., Le Guanahani, the Dorado in Puerto Rico (now condoing), and the Hyatt on Grand Cayman, all of which we have visited in the past few years. (Our travel agent told us about Curtain Bluff, a small, privately-owned resort with beaches on the Atlantic and Caribbean.)
The service is excellent. Many servers attend each meal and, if you order from room service, someone arrives with your order within half an hour, sometimes less. Breakfast includes fruits, cereals, eggs, pancakes, an assortment of pastries, or any other breakfast food that you request. Lunch is a buffet on the beach -- very good -- while, despite what some of these reviews tell you, dinner is the equivalent of any first-rate restaurant in NYC or Westchester County (elite restaurants such as Daniel, Nobu or Le Grenouille excluded, of course). Everything is included in the fee, except for gratutities, which comprise an 18% "service charge" added to your bill; some services (a massage, e.g.); and special wines, etc. .
The accomodations are comfortable and up to date -- more so than the Guanahani (although we stayed there in 2003, prior to the recent renovation). Internet services are available in each room. There is no TV as of yet, although each room is cabled and -- who knows -- TVs may be available in the future. (We didn't want one, but families with children might appreciate the option.) The views are spectacular, while the Caribbean beach is quite swim- and sail-able. School has been in session this week in both the U.K. and U.S., so there are no school age kids visiting, but there are several families with small children, indicating that this is not an "aging" resort.
While construction of the spa has been delayed due to the World Cricket Tournament, which is scheduled for March-April and has booked up all the contractors and materials, the fitness center is well-equpped and spotless, with classes scheduled each day. If you want to do a "day trip" -- we went to the English Harbor and St. Johns -- the hotel will arrange for a driver.
Finally, the music played during the dinner hour includes "old standards" (e.g., "New York, New York") and Caribbean music, and ends at 11 p.m. It was not noisy in our room; we slept to the sound of the ocean waves lapping at the shore.
We are hoping to return next year. Thank you, Howard, Chelle & Rob!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flanked by water on both sides, Curtain Bluff sits on a rocky promontory (bluff) that juts into the sea between two beautiful beaches. One is calm, ideal for swimming and watersports; the other beach is washed by ocean surf. 72 Rooms and suites, all with staggering seascape views, are spread out along the Surf Beach and up the bluff. There are two restaurants: the open-walled Tamarind Tree serving breakfasts and candle-lit dinners, and the Beach Cafe & Bar, where barefoot-casual lunches are enjoyed one step from the sand and a few feet from the water's edge.The resort's exceptional facilities include a championship tennis center, a fully equipped watersports center (scuba, Windsurfing, paddle-boarding, waterskiing, Hobie Cats and kayaks), a squash court and fitness center. When it's time to relax, there's our tranquil spa overlooking the sea, a beachside swimming pool, a beach bar, and hammocks swaying in the shade of coconut palms.With the exception of a few above-and-beyond luxuries (Cuban cigars, vintage wines, spa treatments), everything is included in the room rate, making it one of the best values in the Caribbean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelUp, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Curtain Bluff Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Curtain Bluff Hotel Bolans
- Curtain Bluff Antigua
- Curtain Bluff Resort Antigua, Antigua And Barbuda