“Superb cuisine, in a beautiful setting.”
Review of Sheer Rocks

Sheer Rocks
Reserve with OpenTable
Sheer Rocks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Saint Mary's
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sheer Rocks philosophy is simple. fresh ingredients, local produce. casual dining with discrete yet super friendly service. quality wines, inventive cocktails. sultry lounge beats & crashing waves. day beds for lounging & a plunge pool for chilling. a unique tapas menu & a romantically cool & stylish retreat for dinner. a british chef with tons of passion & probably the best bartender in the caribbean. sheer rocks is an experience ... enjoy it responsibly...
London
“Superb cuisine, in a beautiful setting.”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I write this review sat on my balcony in Cocobay the hotel just above Sheer Rocks. We attended Sheer Rocks on Thursday night, the 2nd of May. We decided to go on that night as the hotels all inclusive menu is a buffet on Thursdays and we fancied a little more special, boy did we get that !

We went down at 5pm so we could enjoy some cocktails to start with, we had booked a day bed so we could watch the sun go down but we had already had so much sun that day that we declined the bed and were politely given seats at the cocktail bar.

This will make up the first part of the review. Charles, the bartender was extremely polite and knowledgable with regards to mixing cocktails. The first I ordered was a Bloody Marry, I made it my mission a few years ago to find the best Bloody Mary in the world ! The current holders of the title were Verve in Dubai and Maze in London ( both Gordon Ramsay restaurants ). I had even tired the €80 Bloody Marry in the Hemingway Bar in the Ritz in Paris ( it was awful, don't bother ).

I can now say with pleasure that current holder is Sheer Rocks, mixed by Charles. It was delicious and spiced to perfection with all the correct ingredients. I then asked for a Caprioska, something which was not n the menu but a favourite of mine. Without hesitation Charles then mixed up a perfect Caprioska for which along with the perfect sunset, beautiful Balearic tunes and my stunning wife made the perfect run up to dinner.

Now for the second part, the dinner. From what I could tell Alex the Chef had his parents and some friends at the restaurant that night but I can assure you all it made no difference to the stunning quality of service or food that we received that night.

I started with the Scallop, Lobster, Langoustine and Clam coconut spiced curry. This was one of the most beautiful dishes I have ever eaten. All the ingredients had been cooked to perfection, everything was soft and delicious and still held its own flavour and was then complimented by the wonderfully light yet full of flavour curry sauce which it had been served in, truly stunning.

My wife had chosen the Goats Cheese and caramelised Onion Tart to start and I tried a piece of that and was equally impressed with the flavours. The pastry was light and the filling rich with cheese but still a sweetness coming from the caramelised onions.

I then had the slow cooked Mahi Mahi, I had never had this before but when it was served to me I could again tell the fish had been cooked to perfection it fell away in beautiful flakes and almost melted in the mouth, I am always especially pleased when I try something that I have never tasted before and it brings such a smile to my face.

My wife had the Gnocchi, which had a lightness to it only rivalled by the best Gnocchi in Italy. ( I suspect the Gnocchi had been shocked in cold water half way through, a sign of a great Chef. But maybe Alex has another secret to make it so light ). My wife, an expert in Gnocchi eating said it was simply the best she had ever eaten.

To accompany this we had he crushed potatoes with scallions and Parmesan cheese which was out of this world and broccoli and green beans in garlic which again was fantastic.

For dessert we both had the Chocolate Soufflé, this was light and rich with chocolate favour and served with a wonderful ice cream which only enhanced the dish tenfold.

All of this was whilst we were sat on a table overlooking the spectacular Caribbean sea and served by friendly staff.

To top this review off my wife went back down to the restaurant the next day to confirm and slightly change our booking for the following Thursday and was met by Alex who recognised her from the previous night. Bearing in mind all that he had going on that night I was very impressed by this. He was extremely helpful and even wrote repeat custom next to the booking note.

If you have read any of my other reviews you will see I have eaten in many top class restaurant around the world, I can safely say this is be of the very best.

If your in Antigua do not even think twice, just book it. In fact if your not in Antigua, book a holiday to go there just so you can eat at ........... Sheer Rocks.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Frank3h

San Francisco/Orange County
“Loved it!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Fabulous cocktails (finally some fresh fruit and juice in Antigua!), excellent food and great views. The wine list isn't huge, but they have an adequate selection. We had the seafood curry which was in a very light curry broth, the pork chop and lobster ravioli. All were fresh, flavorful and satisfied our foodie craving. The prices were a bit steep, but we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and felt it was worth it.

The chef introduced himself and personally asked us how are meal was which we thought was a nice touch.

One word of caution- bring insect repellent as there were a significant number of Mosquitos around the bar.

• Visited May 2013
Ely, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We decided to visit this restaurants based on great reviews we had read, and were not disappointed. The views are spectacular and the food was delicious. I can certainly recommend the smoked marlin carpaccio. The cocktails are also fantastic. Booking definitely recommended as it can fill up quite quickly. They also do an all day tapas affair on Saturdays and Sundays, where you pay an upfront price and eat whatever you like. Make use of their plunge pool. A nice touch to a really stylish restaurant.

Brooklyn, New York
“What a place!!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

One of the best concepts for the restaurant i've seen. Super friendly chef, which is totally opposite what some reviews said. when my wife mentioned something that wasn't on the menu this time, chef Alex came out asking her to recall what she remembered from her last visit and created a dish on the spot. if that is not called "personal touch"...

London, United Kingdom
“You have got to go...”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Sheer Rocks is 100% worth the visit. We went in the evening so didn't get the beautiful view but this did not deter from the fabulous food. The star dish for us was the spicy cocnut seafood curry which was packed full of flavour and all the best seafood, clams, scallops, lobster and more. Alex the head chef and owner came and chatted to us after his service which was an excellent touch and always a delight to meet the main man behind such devine food. Thank you for the experience.