“Not a luxurious resort, but best bang for your buck makes it 5 star.”

The Verandah Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saint Philip
GreenLeadersGold level
Long Island City, New York
“Not a luxurious resort, but best bang for your buck makes it 5 star.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

I received great service from Elite Island Resorts from the get-go. Nicole, my sales rep, was responsive and helpful. The price went slightly down from what we had paid. She immediately refunded my credit card the difference, ensuring we got the best deal. After extensive research, I found the best deal was through Elite Island Resorts' website. She also accepted my room request and we got our top choice room. I was very pleased even before arriving at the resort.

Upon arrival at ANU airport, there is a taxi stand outside of the airport. For 4 girls + luggage to Verandah was $28 USD. I did not convert any US money into EC. I also did not go shopping at all and stayed at the resort., so it may be different in St. John's. However, I found that most merchants are willing to accept to USD, so do not worry about changing your money.

The taxi ride to the resort was approx 30 minutes. It is very bumpy and hot. I honestly felt queasy at times, so definitely be prepared for a potentially headache-inducing ride.

Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted with some sort of rum punch. Checking in was very quick. I wish that the hotel would give more than 1 copy of the door key. In addition, the in-room safe is not the updated ones in which you punch in a code to open it. Instead, you get a huge lock and key that you use for your safe.

We were carted off to our waterfront room by the main pool. There was no way that we could walk to our room with all of our luggage. However, once we were situated in the room, there were only 2 other times we used the golf cart. Once was for 2 members of my party that wanted to take a shuttle to St Johns and had to go to the front desk. The other time was when we had to go back to the airport after our trip was over. So, once you are situated on the resort, depending on where your room is, there is no need to use the cart unless you are leaving the property.

I highly recommend getting a waterfront resort, if possible. Take a look at the map on Verandah and try to choose rooms by the main pool and the main beach, as everything will be within walking distance. The ability to sit on our balcony and look directly below at the ocean was priceless. That alone gives this resort a 5 star rating.

The room itself was spacious. Not luxurious by any means, but it is comfortable and clean. The bathroom has 2 sinks, a large vanity mirror, toilet and a large tub. Other reviewers had described that the the tub doesn't have a glass door or shower curtains, and instead just a small piece of glass that is enough to cover whomever is in the shower. We did have minor issues with water splashing out, but if you face the shower head towards the wall, problem solved. Our toilet was constantly running, so we had to keep the toilet handle up. The hotel provided toiletries: soap, shampoo, lotion, shower cap, and blow dryer. Ample towels were provided, even enough for my party of 4.

The king sized bed is comfortable. There is one closet with the in room safe. There are 2 drawers, a desk, swivel flat screen TV (no DVD player!), mini-kitchen with fridge, microwave, sink, coffeemaker and plates/utensils. The sofa is a pull out queen. However, it is not very comfortable and rather lumpy. We were only there for 4 nights, but this may be a difficult bed to sleep in for a week. I would suggest getting 2 rooms in that case, as there is a connecting door to the room next door through the balcony.

The TV channels were ample and seemed to get a lot of NYC channels, which was good for me. :-) There were also many premium channels, like HBO, Starz, Showtime. It was a good way to unwind after the beach, before dinner while we were getting ready.

The balcony had 4 chairs and a small table. It was the highlight of the room, by far.

The main pool is surrounded by the main bar, the restaurant building, the guest services (where there is a computer) and the fitness center. A short walk away is the beach bar and grill and the main beach. Our room was right by here, so everything was within a couple of minutes of a walk. The main pool area was also the only area that had free wi-fi.

The restaurants: Seabreeze, daily B/L/D buffet. Buccaneers has a la carte D and Nicole's also has a la carte D ($25pp additional). Buccaneers and Nicole's reservations had to be made up to 24 hours in advances at guest services, which was open until 11PM. Buccaneers and Nicole's were only open on select nights, so definitely check on that. The food at Seabreeze + Buccaneers were the same. Nicole's was definitely different and worth trying at least once. I enjoyed the food overall. I was pleased to see more Caribbean items on the menu (maybe management is reading the complaints on Tripadvisor?) and a ton of fish! I come to the islands to eat fish and I was so pleased.

Seabreeze: I enjoyed the breakfasts, as the omelette/egg station was great. The coffee is very good, too. The lunch and dinner buffets had a variety of meals, such as fish catch of the day, some sort of meat like jerk chicken, rice, salads, desserts. I found the desserts to be lacking here, but this seems to be a common issue at many Caribbean resorts I go to.

Buccaneers: I honestly thought it was the same food, but served a la carte. Still, I enjoyed the experience.

Nicole's: I enjoyed my meal here, they had great apps, entrees and desserts! The lobster was great and enjoyed the various salads and appetizers I sampled. Ice cream is a good bet for a dessert choice.

The bars served up your typical cocktails and they have a menu you can peruse. They didn't have top top shelf, but that is not to be expected at an all-inclusive. The white wine was crisp and good, I enjoyed it. I wish that the daquiris weren't poured straight out of a Island Mix carton, but that is probably the fastest way to make the millions of daquiris requested. The glasses were also rather small.

Entertainment was limited to a local band. There are people that gather around, but it is dead at around 10:30-11PM.

The beach and the pool: We did throw down towels every morning at the crack of dawn sometimes. I think putting it down by 8AM - 9AM would suffice. It is necessary if you want to have any shade under a palapa at either locations. The main beach is a shallow lagoon and yes, there are patches of seaweed. The employees will help you with any nonmotorized activities, which are a fun break. There are a couple of locals hawking items, but they are not relentless and will back off if you are not interested. As someone else mentioned, slather on that SPF! The sun is strong. I hid under shade the entire time, used SPF 70 religiously, had a sunhat and everything. I still managed to get tan and even burnt. I regret not bringing 2 bottles of SPF.

I recommend the catamaran ride + snorkeling trip that departs on Wed and Fri from the main beach for $90pp. Def eat lunch beforehand, but they have sandwiches, cookies, fruit and drinks on board. The snorkeling was nothing special, but the boat was gorgeous and the crew are great guys.

My last tip: sure, these resorts include tip, but I am not sure if the employees you deal with personally really see much of those tips. So, it doesn't hurt to bring some American singles and tip accordingly. The employees were so thankful and we got huge smiles wherever we went. Sure, money talks, but really... those few dollars you part with mean a world of difference in terms of service. I wish I could've tipped more, quite honestly.

Overall, we got a great deal and had a fabulous time. For the cost, this trip exceeded all my expectations and is a good choice for a quick getaway.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank queenbee19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
Antigua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

Upon arriving at the Verandah I thought that I had taken a flight and arrived at a new destination, solely because of the beauty of the resort compared to the surroundings on the drive to the resort. My husband and I were greeted at the reception by a very friendly lady named Anazette. The check in process was seamless when compared to other experiences we have had and we were pleasantly informed that dinner reservations were already made for us. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. The room was nicely decked out. My husband and I especially loved the tub. There was a very nice view from our room. If you love the heat, this was the perfect place to be. The food and entertainment was good. I think that this hotel is ideal for couples seeking peace, tranquility and relaxation. It served our purpose and we would return once again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ladykyat
Beautiful Antigua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

We went to the Verandah hotel at the end of May, it was a truly fantastic experience. Although there were some staff who could be described as 'less than enthusiastic' we are sociable people and those people soon turned around. Being on holiday for the first time as a couple (without the children) we loved that the resort catered for both 'adults only' and the families. The choice of 2 beaches was great, and we managed to have both the beach and the pool to ourselves at times even though the resort was far from empty.
The food in the main restaurant was simple but lovely and there was always a good choice of salad and healthy options (always helpful when wearing a bikini) as well as plenty of rich foods and desserts. We only ever ate in the Sea Breeze because we liked it so much, but the reports we had from those who ate in the other restaurants were that the food was equally as good, and Nicoles we are told is well worth the money (although we didn't put it to the test).

The rooms were GREAT, very clean and well looked after with fantastic views, we were right next to the main pool, but often walked up to the adults only pool and made use of the wifi there.

We used the gym everyday and found it to be just right for the level of exercise we wanted - a run, a few weights and some stretches.

My recommendations would be these - DO NOT expect a la carte in Seabreeze, it is good, wholesome food with plenty of choice, but is not 'fancy'
Ensure you take high factor suntan lotion - the sun is very strong even early in the day
Ensure you have insect repellent, many people had LOTS of bites
Make sure men take long trousers and a proper shirt - the policing of this was hit and miss, but there were times they were strict.
Do not expect a busy nightlife, there were a few bands who entertained us in the evening, but it is certainly not a resort for people who want to 'club' or have a wild night - the entertainment is very low key ... just enjoy the cocktails!

We got engaged on this holiday and totally fell in love with both the island and the resort, we will certainly be returning next year for our honeymoon ... and taking the kids too!!!

2 Thank 1000smiles
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

The resort was immaculate! The style was different from the usual, crowded resorts, which allowed a greater sense of seclusion.
The WATER was like bath water--warm, calm, and clear. You could walk through the blues and greens quite a distance. The main beach had several groups of fish that frequented the shallow waters which were fun to watch.
The ROOMS were absolutely amazing--clean, spacious, great verandahs--even dishes, a microwave, and a fridge! Everything about the room was spacious and refined. The cleaning staff also did a great job.
The FOOD was pretty good--especially at the Beach bar and grill and Buccaneers. Both are included in the all-inclusive price. The menu for what restaurants are opened each evening is posted down by the bar at the pool/near the main restaurant by about 8:30 each morning--so you can plan accordingly. Buccaneers only seats so many, so reservations are necessary. The service was quite good, though there were some meals at the main buffet that we didn't especially like. When this happened, we simply went down to the beach bar and grill--comfort food.
The FITNESS OPTIONS were wonderful. Their fitness center was sufficient and opened 24 hrs a day. They also provided other daily activities including a daily walk to either Long Bay or Devil's Bridge. We went on the guided walk to Long Bay on our first real day there--and it was great. The whole island is VERY SAFE and Long Bay is only a two minute walk away from the Verandah. It has MUCH BETTER SNORKELING--especially if you follow the beach to the far right, then go out about 20 feet--whole schools of fish. The reef there is quite large and the water isn't deep. You can even get snorkeling equipment from the Verandah and take it over there.
SNORKELING was amazing there.
Tour-wise, the PADDLES 1/2 day trip was quite affordable ($55 pp) and was lots of fun. We picked up starfish from the water, paddled over schools of upside-down jellyfish, and got to snorkel at Bird Island--a MUST!!! Bird Island was absolutely amazing!!
Another 1/2 day trip to take is the Verandah's own catamaran. The captain and crew were great and the sailing was amazing. My wife got sea sick--so make sure you take Dramamine if you have those tendencies.
The TOUR DESK also set us up to go on a 1/2 day tour to St. John's--for a mere $14 pp. They had hundred's of shops and some good food. My favorite was the fresh produce market close by where we bought mangos, tiny bananas, pineapples, and some other fruit we still aren't sure what it was called. The tour desk also had a computer with FREE INTERNET, though there were several spots that had free wi-fi there at the resort--including at the adult only pool. The people at the tour desk were especially helpful--Laurie even brought me some mangoes!!
DEVIL'S BRIDGE was a short 10 minute walk but was absolutely beautiful!! Ask any of the staff and they will direct you. Take your camera because it is breathtaking.
This resort really provided a great launching point for several days of fun for little "extra" money. My wife and I have been to a different island each of the past five years and this was the best combination of resort and experience we've had.
While we don't have any KIDS, there were a good number of families there. At no point did we feel overrun by small children. There was an absolutely amazing PLAYGROUND for the kids as well as a kids' program building.
WATER SPORTS were plentiful--many kayaks, three hobbie cats, snorkeling gear, wind surfing, and several other leisure items.
THE STAFF was very courteous and extremely helpful. They were willing to do whatever they could to truly make your stay as pleasant as possible--which is NOT hard!!
One final note though, there isn't a lot to do in the later evenings--and it does get dark about 7 pm in June, but the sun comes up earlier so just plan accordingly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JCrissman
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Kerrie and i went on honeymoon to the Verandah !what a place! from the moment you arrive you are treated like filmstars the place is so clean and tidy and the staff can not do enough to help the food is 1st class as are the rooms(tea and coffee bedding shampoo every day) i tell you this it was worth every penny we can not thank all the staff and the management enough and we will be back next year this is a 1st class place to go ....... Excellent

Thanks Guys Dave & Kerrie Friend (Room 121)

1 Thank samsonKent
london uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

check in
we stayed at the resort from 28th may for 2 weeks. the check in at reception was friendly & efficient & was the first of many rum punch cocktails on this holiday! we were taken to our room on a golf buggy by jason who explained the layout of the resort as he drove. we had upgraded to a waterfront suite which is the same as all other rooms but with a breathtaking view! we looked over the beach & bay. if you can,it is worth the money!
beaches
there are two beaches at the resort. one is quiet,but with a lot of seaweed. i think if this was cleared,more people would use it. the other has excellent non motorised watersports with great staff. just a warning,all beaches in antigua are public. this did mean the beach could become a little noisy at times(on a public holiday),but there are the pools etc if this is a problem. we were joined by a large group in their sunday best who were being baptised in the sea. i found it very special to see this,and it is the antiguans island after all! we would have liked to have a bar on the beach as you have to walk up several steps to the beach bar & grill.
restaurants
most meals are served at sea breeze,this is usually a buffet. breakfast was everything from cereals,pancakes,fresh fruit to cooked breakfast & cooked to order omelettes. lunch can be taken at sea breeze (make sure you are dressed in more than swimwear) or the beach bar. beach bar serve salads,burgers,fish & chips,ribs etc. we went there generally as it was easy to have a break from the sun & relax with a dacquiri! buccaneer
restaurant must be booked in advance,but is lovely. nicole's is a $25 supplement but is well worth it. fantastic for a more intimate dinner. we ate there four times,alone & with some wonderful friends we met.in fact we got engaged at nicole's! the lovely staff suprised us with a celebration pudding.
spa
the spa is nicely laid out. i had 2 treatments here. the waterlily wrap worked a treat on my sunburn.
nightlife
the best nights we had were at the bar talking & drinking with friends. the entertainment is hit & miss. the chairman has contacted us to say there will be improvements soon though.
staff
staff are always courteous,smiling & extremely efficient. i have seen other reviews where this was a problem,but i can't praise them enough!
our virgin rep,callie,was fabulous. she was always upbeat,nothing too much trouble. we even had to call her to cancel a trip at 7am. she was amazing with any request. thanks callie,you are an asset to virgin & the verandah!!
yes,there are little niggles,the tv doesn't swivel off the wall,the entertainment isn't amazing but give me this holiday anytime!
in fact we have booked our return trip,so we can get married next year. we are taking family & are thrilled that some friends we met at the resort are coming back too.
this resort has something for everyone,sports(tennis,gym...) to beach lovers,pool people & of course honeymooners......

1 Thank ladykerry
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

Beautiful grounds, large rooms, breezy verandah. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was excellent. Very friendly and helpful. Jason at the beach bar was great. Try the "stoplight". Jerry who drives the cart around the resort was also fantastic. When we had an emergency, they really sprang into action. My 6 year old had to be taken to the hospital and the hotel was so supportive and helpful. Abbe even came with us to the hospital. Without her I don't know if he would have even been seen by a doctor. The hospital was horrible. But the staff was so caring during this ordeal. Faye, Myriam and all the staff we encountered during this ordeal and our entire stay were wonderful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews

Been to The Verandah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!