The Verandah Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Jumby Bay Island(St. John's)
View Hotel
South Point Antigua(English Harbour)
3,993 results
All reviewsmain beachbeach barguest servicesverandah resortmain barwater sportsrasta beachmini golfkids clubadult poolper personlobstershirley heightsdevil's bridgelong bay beacha la cartesea breeze
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I stayed in the Verandah during June in a waterfront room - the room was large, clean on arrival and comfortable, staying for ten days.

The resort is well spread out as others have said and buggies were available to get around the resort most of the time,

I found that the restaurant timings were not clear with regard as to what was open when, the guest services area were not a lot of help as we had conflicting advice about when we could/could not book tables. I found the service at Nicole's attentive but towards the end of the meal the staff had a set directive about what they had to serve so if you wanted a dessert and not ordering your coffee at the same time they found it confusing. The meals at lunchtime and an evening in the Sea Breeze buffet seemed to be on a weekly rota which did not inspire confidence during the later part of our holiday. The Beach Bar and Grill during lunch time provided hot and well cooked food from a really lovely chef from Glasgow in the kitchen and the staff were attentive for drinks - and the café had a great view. I found the tipping culture at the main bar to get served first unacceptable - I got the impression the bigger the tip the more friendly the staff.

One day I was waiting at reception for a buggy to go to the main pool area and was fortunate enough to be driven by the recently arrived food and beverage manager who asked what I thought of the catering, I was honest and replied in his native language of French - comme ci comme ca. Could be better - but I did notice that during the entire time I was there he was in every restaurant and café checking the food and service which I think is a reflection of the resort to improve the guest dining experience.

The main pool area was well looked after with plenty of sunbeds and towels available at that time and the pool attendants really looked after the pool area making sure it was clean with no rubbish left - that does make a difference.

One thing I did find very frustrating was Guest Services - every time we went in to ask a question they couldn't give us an answer - even for something simple. It was always come back later.

My last comment is to do with departure day - many UK guests leave the resort about 5pm or later - the resort does not have a separate shower room for guests use and I do not mean using one of the resort rooms for an hour at a $25 cost which are not always available. A small shower/changing room for a limited time would be useful especially for families with young children who had to check out of their room at 12 before leaving at 6pm - this is a feature of a four star hotel I would expect.

Lessons can be learnt from other hotels owned by the same company on Antigua.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dorla
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Verandah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Verandah Resort and Spa. We value guest feedback as a away to continuously improve our guests' experience.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed many aspects of our resort including the accommodations, pool and the Beach Bar and Grill, however, we are disheartened to know that you found some challenges during your stay with guest services and that some of the restaurants did not meet your expectations. Although we understand that food is a subjective topic, we appreciate your honest feedback to our food and beverage manager. We host hundreds of happy guests each week who inform us in both guest surveys and on online forums that the Verandah truly exceeds expectations from our accommodations to our range of three distinct restaurants to our gracious and hospitable staff.

Thank you for your suggestion. While management carefully reviews all points made, we do encourage our guests to address any inconveniences and concerns to the resort manager while they are still at the resort, so that we may have the opportunity to fulfill expectations and help achieve a memorable, fun-filled Caribbean experience.

Antigua is one of the Caribbean's most beautiful islands and the Verandah is a favorite resort of many vacationers, so we do hope when considering a relaxing getaway, we may once again host you and exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,
Guest Ambassador

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Stayed at the Veranda 1 week in august 2014. First time there and was totally happy with the choice! Location is beautiful, all rooms are on a hillside which gives everyone a view of the water! Room is rather large and all have a beautiful huge veranda. Eco friendly environment. Their facilities are well maintained and plenty to do! Staff was super friendly, special thanks to Kenny (Rasta Bar), Kevin, Carrey and especially Debra at Seabreeze and all management! It is rare that employees are always in a great mood and smiling! They love their jobs and are happy to be there! Management is hands on! The food is very good, they have quality over quantity! Very adequate gym equipment. Guests were mainly European; UK, Italy and not many Canadians! Two beaches, small but with beautiful views, were just what I was looking for! No vendors, no monkey/parrot pictures taking offered (thank you!) Your stay there is really hassle free! Would definitely return and recommend to friends!

Room Tip: Stayed at room 232, perfectly situated for my needs. Close to gym, buffet, pool/bar area, and a waterview on bay!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank TinaMtl27
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We have a child with a fish seafood allergy. This resort accommodated us with no problem whatsoever. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly, grounds were very well kept (loved our morning walks). Food was good for an all inclusive.

A few things that I thought could be better is that the food and drinks are a bit far from the main beach. The entertainment area in the evening is a bit tight and shows were repetitive.

All in all, I loved the vacation and would definitely return. Antigua is a lovely place with the right balance of nature and commerce.

P.S. Not one vendor approached me for a sale the entire time I was there, This a first for me in all my travels.

Room Tip: Get one with a water view. A little more pricey but worth it.
2  Thank Bill M
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Very nice place to stay staff is very helpful food is plentiful ,beaches are out off this world,rooms are clean a very warming experience ,you can feel comfortable to take you're family. The off site tours is a must do item.

Room Tip: Ocean view
1  Thank Shereeanne P
Reviewed August 24, 2014

This was our second visit to the Verandah, and it didn't disappoint. The great thing about the resort is the laid back charm and the feeling that you're living in a village as opposed to a resort complex, lots of space and a great low key feeling to the place. We visited with our 9 year old son in August and spent the bulk of our time on the main beach or round the pool. The beach was again very clean and a host of activities available meant that we were never bored, the waterspouts team were very helpful and we soon mastered the hobbie cat in a very safe bay for sailing. As a return guest we we're treated very well and we're given a room upgrade and also a visit to NIcoles restaurant where a supplement normally applies which was a really nice touch by the management team. Two things would have allowed me to provide a 5 star rating, one that the service was quite variable, some staff incredibly friendly, others quite disengaged. Also, the quality of the food in the sea breeze buffet could have been a little better. Overall, a real hit and a place I would thoroughly recommend, particularly in the off season when it is not too busy.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the water front rooms.
2  Thank Dave S
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Verandah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2014

Dear Dave,

Thank you for visiting us again at The Verandah Resort & Spa. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us as we strive to deliver an outstanding vacation experience.

We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed a host of activities, accommodations and dining options. We apologize if you experienced inconsistencies during your stay, however, we have noted your points and value your feedback as a way to continuously improve our guests' experience. Our resort management carefully reviews guests' comments and suggestions, and will take any appropriate steps moving forward, so that we may continue to exceed your expectations with the hospitality and service that the Verandah Resort & Spa is known for.

We are thrilled that you are such loyal fans and we look forward hosting you and your family again soon!

Kind regards,