We booked this without reference to Trip Advisor [!] having been personally recommended by 3 colleagues - we then read some of the reviews and were worried... but we needn’t have been.
Location - The resort is a distance away from any town, but onsite car hire enabled us to see the island [get a good map as there are little, if any, road signs] and the resort also has weekly visitors offering boat trips & souvenirs, which was good. Other island locations such as Jolly Harbour are better, but the hotel is not in the same league!
Restaurant - Yes there are birds of a morning, despite the windows being shut (they fly through when you walk through the doors), but as long as you leave one of your party at your table they don't bother you - the price you pay for being in a tropical vegetation/garden environment I suppose. Food buffet style was good, with significant choice, but repeated after one week (we stayed for 2), but the Buccaneer’s Restaurant (inclusive) provided for a nice change. There is Nico’s Restaurant available at a premium, but we didn’t feel the need to try it out.
Rooms - It would have been nice if the bed area could have been cordoned off from the living area, especially if you were more than 2 to a room (we weren't). The beds are firm, but mattress-toppers are readily provided. Verandahs nearly all round are great to relax, but are not that private. No separate shower, but an over-sized bath accommodates for that along with 2 sinks. Aircon is a bit loud, but it's the tree frogs that will keep you awake to start with as their croaking sounds like city car alarms at first!
Pools - These are for cooling-off, not for serious swimmers, since the depth is 3'11" - personally I like that. Good size and 3 to choose from. We found the adult pool especially nice as it was exceedingly quiet (probably because there was no bar - but water is provided as well as toilets) away from the main centre and had shade as well as electric points to recharge all those i-gadgets! And wifi too (albeit rather weak).
Other areas - The Mini Golf is fabulous although out of the way, but near the 2nd Bar and 2nd beach (which was virtually empty when we were there).
Beach - relatively small compared to others on the island, but great to relax or try your hand at all sorts of water sports. The staff are excellent is helping you with any activity, even sailing you around the bay if you lack the skills!
Beach Bar & Grill - great service & choice, albeit a walk up steps from the beach - we ate there most often as it's also open on some evenings
Overall – The resort & Island is ‘good’. We didn’t find any “wow” factor, hence the 4* rating, but nothing was missing; perhaps those elements to make 5* are merely superficial anyway?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Verandah Resort & Spa is a world-class all-inclusive resort overlooking the crystal blue Caribbean waters of Antigua. Perfect for couples, friends, families, honeymoons, and weddings. Guests love the resort's friendly, romantic atmosphere, with lots of activities for adults, teens, and children--not to mention our Two White Sand Beaches!The Verandah's four restaurants, four bars, four swimming, including the largest freeform freshwater swimming pool in Antigua. Activities include hobie cat sailing, kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, pedal boats, supervised Kids Club, 18-hole miniature golf course, and much more.Indulge at our Spa Tranquility, featuring a wide array of massage and beauty treatments, or enjoy a workout in our air-conditioned fitness center.We look forward to having you as our guest, and thank for your choosing The Verandah Resort & Spa, Antigua. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, West Indies, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Verandah Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Verandah Resort And Spa
- Verandah Hotel Saint Philip
- Verandah Hotel St Johns
- Verandah Resort All Inclusive
- The Verandah Resort & Spa Antigua/Saint Philip