“A good family resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“A good family resort”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The rooms and overall facilities were very nice.Recommend a waterfront room near the main pool. You will be able to walk to the pool, beach and restaurant otherwise will need to wait for a shuttle. The carribean was a beautiful blue and good for snorkeling. Only negative was the limited dining choice. One buffet and a limited seating ala carte restaurant. The food was only of average quality and selection, a little disappointing for an all inclusive. Also no beverages or snacks provided in the rooms These were only available by purchase.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Frederico022

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family and I have just returned from the verandah after 10 nights there. My son(5) and daughter(1) had the most fantastic time. All the staff are absolutely fantastic with children and really make an effort with them. This was actually our second time at the verandah, the first being in 2011 and the staff still remembered our son from the first visit and greeted him with open arms. From the moment we arrived it was perfect. I have a medical condition which restricts my ability to walk long distances so contacted the hotel before arrival to ask for a room near to the facilities. They couldn't have been more helpful and we had the most perfect room for my situation. I was also worried about the food situation for my one year old an whether she
would be able to stay up late for dinner and be able to get food if not....they were so helpful and even spoke to the executive chef who said that he would cook her something if she was unable to make dinner.

The rooms are large and easily accommodated us including fitting in a cot. We had a room with an adjoining balcony to next door as our mum came too and this worked really well. The rooms were clean and well kept and the little kitchenette was very handy for heating baby milk and storing drinks in the fridge. The beds are quite firm but this suits me fine and you can get a mattress topper if you ask. I put the sign up each day for an early clean so that I could put my daughter down for a nap in the afternoon and it was always done by 12.00 which was perfect.

The beaches are beautiful and extremely good for young children. They are shallow and calm and the watersports are good and don't get in the way. There are plenty of buckets and spades for the kiddies. The pools are also great and never felt crowded.

The food was excellent. I can not stress this enough. The breakfasts have everything you could imagine and more, eggs cooked to order however you liked at the omelette station and lots of fresh fruit and pastry each day. We ate at the beach bar and grill most lunchtimes which was super...can get a little busy but it's the Caribbean, take your time be patient and stare at the lovely views whilst waiting for your food. The other restaurants are also super in food and service. We visited Nicole's which you pay a surcharge for once and it is defiantly worth it...the lobster was delicious and again the service was amazing. The executive chef took the time to speak to each table which was a nice touch.

OVERALL - I have read many of the good and bad reviews on trip advisor about this hotel....I cannot stress enough how fantastic this resort is. If you ask you get and I believe the service of all the people working at the resort is extremely high. They constantly are striving to improve by wandering round and asking if everything is ok and calling the room a couple of times to check to which I thought was great. Verandah we will be back!! And we can't wait!

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are great
5 Thank Michelle M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the verandah hotel to be greeted with a rum punch and fruit punch for the children in the beautiful reception area we knew we were in for a good stay.
The golf buggy ride up to the room showed us the stunning location, pools and beaches and on entering our room were amazed by the beautiful view of the sea and spacious accommodation.
Throughout our stay we impressed by the food, service and cleanliness of this hotel. The weather was great and we had some fantastic trips, organised by the incredibly efficient guest services staff.
We could not disagree with skburtons recent poor review of this hotel and would say this is in fact very much a 4 star resort. I would agree it is a family resort and perhaps skburton needed to pay the extra and visit Bluewaters or Carlisle bay for a more exclusive feel.
For us this was the best holiday we have ever had and hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Always book a sea front room, especially those near the main pool and bar area.
4 Thank Ben E
Maldon
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Never been to Antigua, but we are definitely going back. This resort is about half-an-hour from VC Bird Airport and as you approach the security entrance, it's clear it is well looked after. It's as if someone has an invisible vacuum keeping the grounds clear.

Reception

Made very welcome indeed by staff here who all smile and appear to be smiling because they are happy. Everything explained room and safe key given and beach towel vouchers provided. A swift golf cart journey took us to our surprise upgraded room (early bird offer with Virgin).

Room

Simply put its a room of large proportions. I cannot do metric but at least thirty foot long including a balcony with a beautiful view of the turquoise green sea. Included are a full bathroom with two sinks, a huge king size bed a proper sofa bed with a mattress and springs not the normal foam effort you sometimes see. A kitchen area. The only thing it lacked was a minibar - but you don't need one. Lastly the air conditioning works and then some. Housekeeping are very efficient and towels changed as required. Also you only have one set of neighbours no-one above or below - its like a little semi-detached home

Grounds

Are beautifully laid out and again spotless. Very green and lovely tropical planting, tropical birds all over the place add to the natural feel of the hotel. The gentle slopes lead to the pool and to the 'upper' beach. If you are staying at one of the lower numbered villas you will have a bit of a walk up hill to the restaurants, but the golf cart service is better than the London Underground for frequency. One morning the lawns were being mowed, this was great as the grass grows very quickly and the manicured lawns set off the rest of the landscaping.

Pool

BIG. More than enough loungers and you can bagsy them and no-one complains. ( I have never done this before and thought ill of it but there were no Germans. People after putting their towels on them actually sat on them! very warm pool. Whilst there a tile broke in the pool an early next morning two guys with snorkel gear repaired it! Drinks from the bar are provided in plastic glasses so no smashed glass. Also there is a large screen TV for those who needed their football fix.

Noise

There was none except for the noise of people enjoying themselves. At night time the live music drifts across the pool to your room but owing to double glazing you can't hear it.

Beaches

Two - the upper one with watersports and the lower one near reception which is a quite zone with a simple bar with lovely drinks when it gets too hot. Both combed every morning and well tended, any mess left by ignorant guests is quickly cleaned away.

We only tried the main restaurant and the beach grill. However, the food was exceptional in both. Each morning is a buffet breakfast but which consists of everything you can wish for from cereal to fresh fruit to English breakfast, continental cheeses and waffles and an omelette station. Lunch is equally resplendent and each evening was a themed night. No it's not cheesy like some. It's high quality food with wine they have a roasting station where there is a different choice of meats each night. The staff silently replenish your glass - you can even have champagne by the glass. During the day between 3 and 5 was high tea - very civilized.

Guest Service and shop.

High standard of care and attention the girl in the shop even inflated with a pump my unnecessary pool alligator for my ten year old.

Hire Car

Use the hire car service associated with the hotel - bit cheaper and better service.

Staff

Thanks to Lionel the night duty manager; Nicole who is about to have her third child at the Beach Bar and Margaret at the main bar. Thanks to Shawn for helping us out and all of the staff, including Rob Barrett for being supremely understated and so interested in everyone..

Go back - For Sure

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the high two hundreds, they are waterview and near the amenities
2 Thank KNPGoldsmith
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed April 19, 2013

wonderful resort , travelled with spouse and 4 children ranging from 16 too 3.
There was something for everyone beautiful beach, fab pool and great resturant's
staff are amazing and cant do enough to make sure you enjoy your stay
The rooms are amazing and spotless clean even when resort is full it never felt crowded
watch out for BBQ by the pool nite .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Santa Clara, California, United States
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I kind of stumbled upon the Verandah as a hotel, and I was happily satisfied with our stay! Rooms were clean, simple, and had the light carefree feeling of the Caribbean. We were greeted with a fruit plate and bottle of wine in our room fridge, this was a really nice touch (but the Pinot Grigio, was terrible!). I personally don't like a very stiff mattress, so I did feel the beds were too hard.

I'm landscaper so I was especially impressed with the landscaping around the resort. I was disappointed when I looked over the balconies to see trash on the ground. More detail could be paid to the environmental stewardship! The resort is billed as eco-friendly, but they could be a lot more ecologically aware!

The staff was great, 90% of them showed great pride and love of their work, and truly strived to make each interaction special! Near by Long Bay is a special treat if you get tired of the resort vibe. Beach staff is especially friendly and helpful! We mostly ate at the Buffet, and it was really good for buffet food!

Nightly entertainment was always great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rebecca S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I can only apologise to the hotel for the delay in writing this review as I should have said thanks a few months ago!

We stayed at the hotel in September 2012 for 12 nights. We flew in from Grenada on an early fight, but were greeted by a friendly receptionist, who advised us that she would try to check us in early to our room (we arrived at just after 9 and normal check in is late morning/early afternoon).

We waited in the bar area and sure enough, the hotel checked us in early, which was really appreciated as we were shattered.

The rooms are spacious, modern and clean. Basically everything you'd expect from a 4 star hotel. We had a fantastic view of the bay and were really happy.

The food was very good - again something for everyone, service was good too. The only complaint was that the main restaurant wasn't air conditioned so it was really hot eating dinner.

My partner wanted us to stay in a hotel which offers lots to do and this hotel meets that description - you never get bored as there are lots of things to see and do, including tennis, gym, spa, crazy golf, board games etc. You can almost have a change of scenery everyday by sitting by the different pools and beaches.

The guest services were very kind to me - I'm petrified of cats and when we visited, the hotel had a problem with them. This is an ongoing problem, but as much as they try, it's impossible with the amount of land the hotel owns to capture every cat. I found it hard to eat in the beach bar as the cats are right next to you, so I was allowed to order my food from their menu and eat it in the main restaurant. This was a nice touch and I really appreciated it. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the lady in guest services to thank her personally.

Overall we had a great stay and would go back as there isn't much to complain about here.

There are some things to note:

- The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, so if you like to walk about, you might struggle as there isn't much to see, apart from the local tourist attraction next door and the beach a few mins walk away
- Most of the decent restaurants (outside the hotel) are a long drive away on the other side of the island
- The resort is huge, so be prepared to walk for a good few mins and uphill between your room and
the restaurants. However, if you are unable to, the hotel provides a regular free shuttle which can pick you up from your room
- If you need basic items, there are no shops nearby so be prepared to pay hotel shop prices
- Try the tennis - the instructor my partner had is rather famous on the island

As much as I loved this hotel, I probably wouldn't return as I'm somebody who likes to stay in a resort near to other places, so felt a bit trapped. The hotel makes no secret about its location, so next time I will study the literature!

Room Tip: Get a villa overlooking the bay
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jolly Beach Resort & Spa
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to The Verandah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!