“Family friendly getaway on a gorgeous beach!”

The Verandah Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saint Philips
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our family stayed 5 days in a standard room with a king bed and pullout couch. It was conveniently located near the main pool and restaurants. Food had a good variety each day. The beach was gorgeous and had activities for all of us to enjoy. We really had fun swimming with the Sting Rays and zip lining in the rain forest. Book these activities when you arrive to get the days and times you want. The airline (Liat) lost our luggage and front desk didn't have complimentary toothbrush/paste...we were advised to buy at gift shop. We held out a few hours and our luggage came. The gift shop didn't carry bug bite ointment or aloe for sunburn...had to go to the resort next door to purchase. We ran low on sunscreen and paid $18 for a bottle...make sure to bring plenty with you. The pullout couch needs to be replaced...felt the springs and it caved in the middle. We couldn't get wifi after several attempts in room, which was $50 for the week. Wifi near pool was hit or miss too...so don't plan on being available when you want. Overall stay was good!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Vanna73

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Bed so hard and uncomfortable, like sleeping on an ironing board. Threadbare blanket that barely fit the bed. Inadequate shade at the large pool. Prefer the beach? Prepare to walk down
(then up) three flights of uneven stone steps more than once if you need a restroom or some lunch. The small beach, which has a restaurant, is so nasty and unattractive, shallow and seaweedy that it should be closed. Mediocre food and plates snatched away immediately, even if others at the table were still eating. Some foods served at dinner were served again at lunch (desserts especially). Nicole's not worth the extra charge. Mundane food with fancier table setting. Room not made up sometimes until 3:00 even though a "Make up my Room Early" sign was exhibited. Scratchy towels and a constantly leaking bathtub. As I said, never again. Elite Management's Galley Bay is excellent but no children under 16 ufortunately.

10  Thank heidihohum
EIR123, Guest Relations Manager at The Verandah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate the time you took to correspond with us as we strive to always improve the service and quality of our guests' vacation experience.

We are very sorry that you were unhappy with your experience. Our guests have continously informed us, through their comments on online forums, letters and guest surveys that our staff, accomodations, activities and amenities as well as the various dining experiences offered at the resort deliver an outstanding vacation experience. This most likley accounts for visits we receive as a result of guest recommendations to friends and family as well as review sites like TripAdvisor.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I cannot recommend this resort for the following reasons:

Food - The food here is simply awful. No better than a high school cafeteria. Overcooked and pedestrian. Industrial ingredients unattractively presented. A lot of corn starch and corn syrup. Chicken is never white meat. Fish is always overcooked in gloopy sauces. If you like cheap wine that is stored in the heat, this is the place for you. The kids love it because it's all sugary crap that's been either deep fried or devoid of nutrition. Birds flying around inside the dining room land on your food if you step away from the table. The "fancy" restaurant carries an additional thirty dollar surcharge. The food is slightly better, though still awful, and the kitchen struggled to deliver food in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time. Given the pretension of the atmosphere, it was an embarrassment. Eating at the Veranda is more drudgery than enjoyment.

Towel Policy - A one towel policy at the pool. Not big enough to cover the plastic loungers. If I wanted to lie on a wet towel all day this would be perfect.

Rooms - Uncomfortable beds with bad linens and foam pillows. Service is weak and often did not get turned around until late afternoon. You can hang a make up early sign on your door, which means four in the afternoon. No room service, which given the horrendous quality of the food might be a blessing.

Water - Despite the all inclusive price, a two dollar charge for a warm bottle of water.

Service - Some of the staff was friendly, but on balance more scowls than smiles.

Beach - The beach is in a shallow cove. Yes you can swim, but at best it only comes up to mid thigh and fifty percent of the cove is seaweed beds.

Terrain - If you are elderly this place is to be avoided. It's very hilly and the beach is down three flights of stairs.

The Veranda is a time share operation as well as a hotel. Avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Go to another resort. That's your best room option
10  Thank NyGastronaut
EIR123, Guest Relations Manager at The Verandah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

We thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our resort.

We see the gift of feedback as an opportunity to consistently improve our guest's experience while with us. We pride ourselves on providing guests with accommodations in a genuine, unpretentious environment where they can enjoy a one of a kind Caribbean experience.

We’re concerned about the range of problems you experienced at our resort during your visit. The vast maority of our guests give our staff, accomodations, grounds and beach accolades which is why our resort consistently receives 4 and 5 star reviews.

We do everything possible to deliver a memorable vacation experience for all of our guests and we would be delighted to welcome you back to enjoy our Caribbean hospitlatiy.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Verandah from March 21 to 28th with my son and his family. If you are looking for a high end resort this is probably not the resort for you as it is not what I would consider posh. As compared to resorts I have stayed in elsewhere I did find the price a little high but we went during spring break so that was to be expected. The resort is very large and offers lots of amenities that make it suitable for families with children and that was the main basis for our decision to stay there. I won't go into detail about them as there is information on their web site. I thought the grounds were beautifully kept, especially since they don't get much rain there. We had a cottage with side by side one bedroom/sitting room units. Mine was fine but my son's bathroom needed some major repairs which was a disappointment. They do have time shares at this resort as well and that may be the reason that the mini fridge was not stocked. As it wasn't our intention to sit in our room and drink, that wasn't really a problem. At the end of the evening I would ask the bar staff for a large glass of white wine which I took back to my room to enjoy before going to bed. We didn't have much of a view from our room but that didn't really matter as it was an easy walk to the central pool/bar restaurant area and we really only used the room for sleeping and showering. The bed was a hard, European style mattress and after a couple of days I wondered if I should get one at home as I felt pretty good. The pillows were the soft, lumpy kind that I suspect were washed often. I appreciated that they were clean and fresh but they need to be upgraded. My other negative is that I wasn't able to get the air conditioning to bring the temperature below 22 degrees at night. This was just too warm for me and was very uncomfortable.

We were told that the resort was at capacity but it never felt crowded. I found most of the staff reserved and I suspect that is the Antiguan nature, but they were very warm and helpful when approached. There was no shortage of staff and they worked hard but at a little slower pace. The bar was busy, however, with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks being served. The liquor was set out so you could see what they were using and mixing. I didn't see anything being made differently than any other bar although the rum punch was pre-mixed and I liked it.

There was internet access available for 15 minutes a day at guest services and, people were catching the free wifi there, in reception and at the adult pool.

Some people like buffets, some don't. I have some dietary needs so they suit me fine. There was always fresh fruit, salads, cheeses and meats along with a good selection of hot dishes. The desserts were very good, especially the ice cream. For breakfast they had an omelette bar and a pasta bar at lunch. I loved the bacon. We ate twice in the al a carte restaurants but did not go to Nicole's, the extra pay one. I enjoyed the soups and appetizers offered but the main courses were just way too big and resulted in wasted food that I wasn't comfortable with.

We took in little of the evening entertainment offered at the main bar but I overheard people talking about how much fun they had one evening. Most of the music I heard was very low key. We had full days so by that time, we were ready to call it a night.

I did book one trip with them into St. John's and the cost was $14 US. All our other excursions were booked with a local rep for Air Canada Vacations.

All in all, I enjoyed this vacation very much but it was too short for the long distance we travelled to get there and I wish we'd gone for 10 days. I would recommend this resort to friends and family but would be sure not to set unrealistic expectations for them.

4  Thank Darline W
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Verandah in Sept 2012 for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.
As it was sept it was nice and quiet.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Flowers and a bottle of Bubbly was put in our room on our anniversary day.

Food: Breakfast had loads of choice. the buffet style evening meal had plenty of choice but as it was quiet they did A la Carte most evenings. Buccaneer restaurant was good and we ate at Nicoles, $30 per head, on the last night. Fantastic Lobster!
Snack food at the beach bar was really good and they did the A la carte menu in the evenings so was nice to sit down there with a breeze. It could get hot in the main restaurant in the evening. Nicoles is the only one that has Air Con.
Plenty of choice for drinks and if you want Gordons Gin instead of local Gin just ask. They give you what you want.

The beaches were good. We liked sitting on the sports beach watching the Pelicans swooping down and diving for fish. Plenty of water sports to do. Floating around in the donuts was relaxing.

Choice of 2 other small pools if you want a quiet dip and snooze by a pool.

The golf carts are running around regularly to jump on but it is not far to walk to reception. down hill most of the way there. i got a ride back!

Rooms were very spacious and very clean and nice to sit out on the veranda in the morning with a cup of tea. on arrival there was not kettle in the kitchen so called reception and one was delivered within 10 mins.

we thoroughly recommend and would love to go back.

Room Tip: We had a water front room which over looked the bay which was nice
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Daveyl123
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I am writing this as I am about to end six nights of hell at the Verandah. I will prefect this by saying that I have stayed at high end resorts all over the US, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. I have never encountered the likes of this place. I was fully prepared to have lower expectations but this stay took on a whole new meaning.
The resort is deceptive in its charging, offering 40% off to returning guests. My parents had stayed at sister resort Galley Bay so they were extended this offer. The 40% offer was nothing more than a teaser rate. Resorts in the Caribbean worth their salt do no offer 40% off in the height of season.
So my parents were fooled into thinking they were getting a deal.
What we got was this: rooms that were no better than a Motel 6. Beds that were the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. Old foam pillows. Thin wool blankets circa roadside motels from the 60s. Housekeeping was horribly erratic. Putting a "make up my room early" tag on the door meant nothing. At least 3 of the 6 days, maids came to the room well after 3 PM to begin cleaning. Towels were as thin as cleaning rags --on day 1 when I opened up one of my bath towels it had a black streak of dirt on it. Showed a complete lack of care by housekeeping. Bathroom fixtures were rusted. My parents tub leaked and was never fixed. The hair dryer in their room blew out along with dark smoke.
This "all-inclusive" resort charges you $2.00 for a small bottle of water --the only resort I have ever seen that charges for water. And the water is not chilled but at room temp. There are refrigerators in the rooms but no beverages are put in them. The resort makes the case that you can shop at their small store and pay for your beverages but in my experience it is standard practice to walk in and see waters and sodas in the fridge.
The food at Verandah was worse than any school cafeteria. Meats were indelible. Fish was cooked til it was rubber. The dining room looks like an army barracks devoid of any charm. The doors are never closed so birds are constantly flying inside the restaurant and landing on tables as well as the buffet table. Meals, which should be relished, were depressing. Additionally, there is no room service and no ability to get even a pot of coffee sent to your room early in the AM
You cannot find so much as a pad of paper and a pen in the room.
Internet service costs $50.00 for five days and it is spotty at best. A clear rip-off.
There is some "free" wi-if by the pool but that's a joke too.

Service here is almost non-existent. No one will go out of their way to do anything for you. Very few smiles from the staff, particularly the dining staff.
There is one restaurant called Nicole's. it is the biggest rip-off at Verandah. There is a $30 per person surcharge for the so-called privilege of sitting in a dark, depressing dining room with food that is no better than what you get in the larger dining room. A complete swindle.

For a resort that is on the beach, you would think there might be a weekly beach barbecue but that is nowhere on the radar.

Drinks which are part of the all-inclusive are horrible. No fresh fruit is used. It's all packaged syrup laced with chemicals and corn syrup. Wines are improperly stored and relatively undrinkable. There is no waiter service at the pool or beach. No one comes around with water at a resort where it never is less than 85 with a very strong sun.

Towel service at the pool is uneven. Some people get only one towel; others take two or three.
The women stationed at the towel area have permanent scowls on their faces.

There is not one compelling feature to recommend Verandah. The beach is a small cove , so small that one cannot take an early morning walk along the shore. The pool is huge and utterly unattractive. There is no landscaping, just concrete and brown grass. No flowers in sight.

There is not one area that is worth recommending here. Striking as well that for all the resorts my family has been to, not one of us wanted to try the spa. We are usually good for many massages but the quality of the resort is so poor, we did not feel the need to waste money there.

Do yourself a big favor --look elsewhere for an all inclusive. You get what you pay for and in this case, we got a lot of nothing.

Room Tip: Tip to find a good room-- if you must be in Antigua there are two choices--Carlisle Bay, Jumby Bay a...
11  Thank thefabulousmoolah

Dear Valued Guests,

We would like to thank you first and foremost and tell you that we do appreciate our guests sending in their comments. We see the gift of feedback as an opportunity to consistently improve our guests' experience while with us.

We host hundreds of very happy guests each week, and we consistently earn excellent reviews among our guests. This is because we work very diligently to deliver a relaxing, stress free vacation in a beautiful setting, with some of the friendliest staff in the Caribbean.

And, while we take every guest comment very seriously we are quite stmyed by then egative review of every aspect of our resort. This is not in keeping with the majority of our guests' comments, many of whom are repeat guests and/or have recommended The Verandah to family and friends.

We strive to deliver the best possible vacation experience imagineable and look forward to greeting future guests with a vacation that exceeds expectations.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Verandah from 6th March-17th March, we had visited last year as well for my 50th Birthday and loved it so much we wanted to return this year. Both times were amazing, great location and perfect for a relaxing holiday. The staff are lovely, room was great near the pool with a sea view as well so we watched the sun set from our balcony every day. We enjoyed the buffet selection of hot and cold food as some days we didn't want to eat as much and enjoyed trying a small selection of different things. The egg bar was brilliant at breakfast time and afternoon tea by the bar was a really nice touch with small sandwiches, biscuits and cakes and all day tea and coffee was good especially if you don't like drinking cold beverages and alcohol all the time.
Devils Bridge is a short walk from the beach and well worth it for the views !!

Room Tip: Try and get a room near the beach or pool if you can it's close to everything
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort
Hermitage Bay
Hermitage Bay
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's

Been to The Verandah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!