I've just come back from a two week stay at the Jolly Beach. Overall holiday was great. The hotel is situated right on a lovely long beach. We were told that in high season it can get very busy but we timed it just right. The sea is beautiful and safe for younger children as there aren't any sudden drops in depth. The hotel itself is good and the staff are friendly. One negative would be the bedrooms - ours was a standard room and was looking a little tired but saying that you're not in it that long so why worry. It didn't come with a fridge as standard (additional charge required).
The food is good which lots of choice. No signs of any upset stomachs and you can drink the local tap water. There were four restaurants, Indian (3/5 as food wasn't that spicy), Italian (3.5/5 went twice, service second time wasn't that great), Fish (4/5 always fresh but again service was a little slow at times) and the main restaurant (5/5 great choice lunch and dinner time). On a Thursday night they put on a beach BBQ with the local steel band - great time.
There were lots of trips, mainly boat/catamaran, which is great if you can do boats (I can't). We opted to hire a car for a day (circa £120 which included fuel, insurance and the local driving licence), definitely money well spent. You are free to visit the 365 beaches and stop and start as you want. The roads are a little rough so get a 4 wheel drive. Other drivers are courteous but take a map as the road signs are few and far between!
One big downside for me was the Mosquitoes. We took sprays out with us from the UK but was informed from the start that they won't work. Our rep advised us to purchase the local stuff called 'OFF' from the supermarket across the road at Jolly Harbour, this didn't appear to work either. They come out between dusk and sunrise, so the only thing I could recommend is long trousers (linen obviously otherwise you'll sweat to death!) and take the spray from the UK which easers the itchiness (oh and some antihistamines).
Overall great relaxing holiday, would recommend and would return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua's best all-inclusive value, the 464-room Jolly Beach Resort & Spa is an exciting Caribbean experience. The resort offers great year-round value for destination weddings, honeymooners and families. Rates include accommodations, government taxes and service charges, all meals, snacks and afternoon tea, house brand beverages, non-motorized water-sports, activities, Jolly Kidz and Teenz Clubs, use of the gym and entertainment. All rooms are air-conditioned and face the ocean; each has a patio or balcony, direct-dial phone, TV and hair-dryer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, West Indies, Priceline, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Jolly Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jolly Beach Hotel Bolans
- Jolly Beach Resort And Spa
- Jolly Beach Resort Antigua
- Jolly Beach Resort All Inclusive
- Jolly Beach Antigua
- Jolly Beach Resort & Spa Antigua/Bolans