“Sunny HOT Sand and sea.”

Starfish Jolly Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Antigua is a class above the usual getaway spots in the south.Look around and you wont have to spend alot.(some places are 5k a week) Jolly Beach is an older 3 star but it has everything we wanted.If there was an issue the staff fixed it. The people working at this resort make it a great choice.And of course there is the beach. Its like a post card.Even the coconut salesman are easy going. Nice pools , lots to eat, drink and relax.You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same.Louder near the centre.(bars and entertainment)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank charles c
Write a ReviewReviews (4,548)

Just back (1st feb14) from resort. Rooms tired need updating so
upgraded room as soon as we arrived to a more acceptable size and state (at additional cost) food and service excellent, staff very friendly, beach and sea perfect, rained lots but soon dried out. Busy large resort so dining was hustle and bustle but no problem.

• Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank David-ruislipUK
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I just returned from Jolly and I wanted to share my experience. Breakfast is ready at 6:30 am and is usually running late. Lunch was scheduled between noon and 3? but you could get a burger and fries at the grill by the pool between 11:30 and 4:45. The grill also had hotdogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, fried chicken and jerk chicken on the menu. Dinner was not served until 6:30pm. Which left you from 4:45 to 6:30 with no where to eat. For dinner though you have a buffet, a seafood place called Lydia's and a Italian place called Boliano's? to chose from but I think on some nights you only have two of these places to choose from. The will be closed. I thought this was wrong. I had not run into this at any other place I had been to. The staff also wants to seat you at a table and get your drinks but, I had been seated and never was asked what I would like to drink. I tried a couple of the self dispensing juices and found them to be not operational or out of juice. I stopped drinking the water because the water was not right for me as it made me "loose" is a good way to put it. If you find it tastes odd or smells odd don't bother drinking it. (TIP: there is a supermarket on the property only a short walk from the rooms and they have bottle water there.)You may find that to be true for you so I would just stay away from the water and ice which is hard to do when you really want to enjoy those tropical drinks but, I later went to drinking beer. You may also smell that the water is not quite right when showering as I did and the showers are very small. I had no problems with any workings of my room but I heard about some who did. No water in one room. Hair dryers that were running very hot. Stuff like that. The safety boxes are installed in the rooms with a $20 deposit and I pain about $20 for ten days there. There was a dresser in my room but not all rooms come with one. There was a A/C installed on the wall which looked beat up but it worked. The ocean view balcony was only had a good view of the lot between the building and the beach. It was a quiet retreat but a smoker, somewhere... seemed to be on my schedule and kept me from enjoying it more. If you enjoy coffee then you should bring or ask for a coffee maker. Pick up some powder creamer as well. The cream that is served is boxed milk. It does nothing for the coffee. If you drink it black you may be alright. It was bold. Maybe to cover the bad tasting water? Could be. The help had stopped in my room sometimes twice a day and I thought this was a problem. If they didn't have towels to do the job the first time they should not have stopped in. I went one day from 4 towels down to one. I later saw the help going around with towels and mentioned I was down to one and was given some but this should not be happening, Right?
The beach was nice. The water was cloudy but nice. The temperature was a steady 80+ everyday with a few passing showers mostly overnight during my stay. The people there where not as friendly as I'm use too. Most kept quiet. Maybe because of the languages.... I did hear quite a bit of French there. I talked with a couple from England. I saw a girl from Dominican. It was a good mix of people there. I hope this helps you to decide. I would have given a two a half rating if I could've. Poor seemed a bit harsh though.

Room Tip: Some baths have Block glass and some have block openings to vent the baths. I'm happy I got the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank whitesummit
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We have been going to Jolly Beach for several years...I reviewed last year. I love the place....beautiful beach, great staff, more than adequate rooms...my only complaint last year was with the food...but this year the food has improved so much, I was amazed. So once again a I can heartily recommend the place.

Room Tip: I prefer second floor...fewer no-see-ums...but all rooms have a water view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank lwgarden
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We spent 2 weeks at this all incluseive hotel. There were 8 of us, family - ages from 1– 67 years old. We all enjoyed it very much. I will let you know things from my point of view and I consider myself not to be a snob and complain. Saying that, I still think you should get what you’ve paid for. Bare in mind also that this is a 3 star hotel.

The location could not have been better; close to a beautiful harbour, shopping and a few restaurants. And it was safe to walk about. The beach is the most beautiful I have ever been to. Incredibly turquoise water and perfect size for walks, to see the beautiful private houses and for excersice.

I have read other reviews about the standard rooms being too small which I didn't find. There was one large pool for kids play and pool bar, the other one was a quiet one for adults only.

The food at the buffé was good, Not very cosy inside, but ok to sit outside. The other restaurants were also good, but not amazing. We appreciated to sit and eat at the same time compared to buffé food. And don't worry too much about the dress code. Rude people tend to totally ignore this and come with flip flops and beach ware which they got away with. Shame really.

We didn't partake in the aktivities that much. I know the kids club was really good as my 8 year old niece was there. They got to do all kinds of creative things! I enjoyed some afternoon beach volleyball.

Entertainment: In the evening you had the show with dancers, live music or karaoke. It was both poor and great, depending on the evening.

A lot of mosqitos, but I am overly sensetive. They had citronella candles on all outdoor tables.

They had lots of excursions, we took a helicopter ride round the island for 30 min which I think was affordable £150/pp. We went to Shirly Hights for sunset, bbq and live bands. Catamaran round the whole island with stops.

If you have any questions I have most answers.

Room Tip: I notices some rooms were looking over the outdoor restaurant, bar and entertainment area. Could be...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank ervegard
Reviewed January 31, 2014

After reading negative reviews about Jolly Beach resort, I was rather concerned before arrival. After a great flight with Thomas Cook and a slightly chaotic transfer, I was very impressed with the efficiency and warm reception at check in. We were immediately given a rum punch and my online check in requests had been fully met. Room 3009 in Grenada block was on the top floor with a stunning sea view over the magnificent shell sand beach through palm trees. The room was quite basic but very clean with a king sized bed, crisp white sheets, fluffy towels and plenty of clothes hangers.The balcony was well equipped with chairs, table and a built in lounger. The air con and ceiling fan worked well and after a bit of adjustment the mosquito screen on the patio door sealed ok. The room safe ($15 per week) was secure. We always had hot water and toiletries thanks to the very nice maid Jocelyn. There are no lifts, but porter Ives was a great
help and created a really favourable impression after check-in.
The resort is large so go to the concierge booth for orientation and you will soon be able to relax and enjoy the generous all inclusive package. If you are the type of traveller who can look beyond a few rough edges, then Jolly Beach is for you. My expectations were exceeded by three excellent restaurants- Italian, Indian and Caribbean which have to be booked in advance through the concierge (no charge). Maureen provided exceptional service in the Indian -thanks for the happy birthday. Sunday brunch at Lydias was idyllic with a steel band, cocktails and sparkling wine in abundance and good Caribbean cooking. The main Hemisphere buffet dining area featured egg chefs and American style breakfasts, a variety of fish and grills at lunch but lacked a little atmosphere in the evening. That apart, we enjoyed the barbeque and seafood themed evenings in Hemisphere. Lisa, the greeter and most of the Hemisphere staff worked really hard to provide good service and make mealtimes a pleasure.
We also used the number 20,22 and 17 public buses to travel around the island to St Johns and English harbour and liked meeting the very friendly locals.At $3 USA for two people the buses were bargains.
Jolly Beach Resort has a happy atmosphere and provided varied entertainment in the evening ranging from live Reggae and steel bands, fire eaters and limbo, disco and karaoke. The courtyard seating next to reception was lovely on warm evenings and the sunsets were a perfect time to enjoy a sundowner or two from the extensive AI cocktail menus.
After two weeks at Jolly Beach, we concluded that management had worked hard to resolve most of the problems previously reported and the holiday overall far exceeded my expectations. Well done and thanks for the much appreciated bottle of chilled sparkling wine in our room on my Birthday.

Room Tip: No lifts. Use online check in for speedy arrival and any room requests.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Brian M
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Stayed Jan 19-26
Just my friend and I.
When we showed up, we were assigned our room, very outdated and wanted to change hotels, I'm so glad we didn't, food was great, the beach amazing and my god the staff was truly amazing. Ken roy, was super awesome with helping us out. The bartenders Patrick, Neil and Dwayne oh and Alwyn, very friendly and fast on their feet. They can dance ;)

Entertainment was wonderful.

Raymond, and Terrance at the catamaran hut thing, are wonderful and truly amazing, friendly and helpful as well.

The locals on the beach, cornell,Plastic, ace, aj very friendly and couldn't ask for better people.

Overall I'm impressed, loved going and being respected, and speaking English. Everyone was amazing.

Down fall was the outdated room, but really we only sleep there and go on with our day and evenings so as long as it's clean that's all that mattered. I'd go back, for sure. And with our stay at jolly I've left with many friends :D vacationers and staff and locals
Hopes this helps

• Stayed: January 2014
8  Thank KJWED046
JollyManager, General Manager at Starfish Jolly Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Despite a hesitant start, I’m so happy to hear that you decided to stay and that you made so many friends and had such an enjoyable experience with us.

Customer services is a top priority, so we love to hear that you found us to be truly amazing. Each and every one of the staff you mentioned in your review appreciate you taking the time to show them some love :)

We hope to see you return to build on some of those friendships that you started on your first visit!

Thanks,

Jolly Beach Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Starfish Jolly Beach Resort? Share your experiences!