“Exceeded our expectations”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
DeMotte
“Exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Cocobay for one week in April to celebrate our 10th anniversary. The location of the resort has unbelievably beautiful views. The sunsets are beautiful as the sun sets behind the island of St Kitts. On a clear day you can see Montserrat with it's volcano. Also the horizon view as well as views doted with little islands. The resort has a Caribbean island feel which is what we were looking for. It is laid back and very relaxing. The cottages are clean and the grounds are well maintained. The staff was very friendly and helpful. All we had to do when we wanted something was to tell the front desk and they took care of it for us. All we had to do was show up. We highly recommend the catamaran cruise around the island. We went on Wadadli Cats and had a great time. It's a chance to see the island, snorkel, enjoy good food, & have fun. The pools and view from them are beautiful as well as the beaches. It was a week in paradise for us. We would recommend the plunge pool cottages, mostly for the views and proximity to the water. We stayed in a plunge pool cottage and also another cottage at the top of the hill. The views from the hilltop cottage were distant, but 180 degrees and beautiful. The temperature was perfect and the tradewinds so refreshing. Food was good. Nice variety for breakfast and lunch. Food at Dinner was good with nice selection and served in an elegant setting. Overall for us, it was the laid back, relaxing island vacation we were looking for.

Room Tip: Plunge pool cottage for the views.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonetta04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

My husband and I actually got married on the beach and honeymooned at Cocobay a year ago. The pictures were idyllic and we thought this would be the perfect place to go. The pros of the trip were the amazing views, gorgeous water and the people we met while there.

The cons were that the majority of the staff were so unbelievably rude. The food was just mediocre although we both enjoyed the breakfast selection. I got a manicure down there for my wedding which was awful and smeared to the point we couldn't use any of our ring shots because my nails looked so poor. People walking by our room could see if one of us was taking a shower because the bathroom was open. We were told we couldn't switch room because they were full and then later found out another couple had switched the same day we had asked. The shell that you put inside to tell the staff you want privacy was ignored, every.single.time. The morning after our wedding we had someone beat on our door at 6:30 in the morning wanting the mirror back that I had used to get ready. We asked him to come back and he did, 5 minutes later. We tried to book an excursion with another couple and they had got the last spot which wasn't a big deal but they had there own fiasco that night and called the front desk and told them to cancel the trip and to please call us so we could go instead. When we went to the front desk that morning they claimed they had called us at 7 am but couldn't reach us (my husband had been up since 6 am that morning and no one had called our room). The night before we left one of the cleaning ladies came to our room and said she would be there at 6 am to take our comforter so she could wash it. I told her that check out wasn't until 10 am or 11 am and could she get it later so we could sleep in on our last day and she told us no that she would be there at 6 am. The morning of our check out we ran up and had breakfast and when we got back saw that someone had been in our room because there were muddy footprints all over our bathroom. We searched to see if anything was missing but couldn't figure out what they had been after until I got out of the shower and realized they had come in and taken all of our towels while we had been at breakfast. My husband had to run down to the pool to grab me a pool towel so I could dry off while I stood in the shower ducking everytime someone walked by.

Our wedding pictures were gorgeous with the views Antigua has to offer but the memories of our honeymoon are something that we won't be repeating in Antigua. For the cost of everything, including all of the extra's we paid for I would expect much better service. Instead we returned from our honeymoon with very little rest due to the rude staff at our door.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crystal G
CocobayGM, General Manager at Cocobay Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Cocobay Resort. We are truly sorry to learn that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. We sincerely apologise for not meeting your expectations while visiting. Your honeymoon stay with us should have been magical and it's quite obvious that we have "let you down'. I will be in direct contact with you off line.

The unfortunate encounters which you experienced are not reflective of our operational procedures, guest satisfaction and customer service protocol. Your candid and constructive criticisms were quite useful and it simply means that we will have to work harder to ensure that your experience is not repeated.

Respectfully,

O'Neal
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Cocobay for a week to celebrate our honeymoon. Antigua is absolutely a beautiful island and especially the friendliness of the locals was warming and welcoming. The staff at Cocobay will make your stay. Always helpfull, always smiling. Dinner at night is excellent. The beach is all you ever wanted for a Caribbean getaway.

However, we do agree with previous reviews. It's an all-inclusive resort, but simple, bottled water isn't included. It's 2014, but wifi isn't free. Our bathroom was outdated, as were the poolside sunbeds. There was no information about the resort in our room, so you have to go to the front desk for all small questions - how to book the spa (and what to book + the costs), how to book dinner on the beach (turned out to be an extra $150), what time to check our, etcetera.

The bugs, the noise of the desalination plant and the smelly lagoon are downsides, but nothing Cocobay can influence.

With a few small adjustments and some updating here and there, Cocobay will make your stay exceptional, especially considering the excellent value for money.

We do recommend Cocobay and Antigua for a fantastic holiday, just don't expect picture perfect paradise for a dime and a quarter.

Two more tips:
- Book a snorkling trip to the reef. It was amazing! We saw turtles, flying fish, starfish and more fascinating sea life.
- Spend the extra bucks for the cottages with plunge pool. Not the pool, but the views are worth the money.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VCNAmsterdam
Hockley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

This was our 5th visit after a 9 year gap.
Because of our extensive travel in the WI Cocobay did not have atraction it had for us some years ago.
We booked a sea view (with aircon), the sea view (No 51) was barely visible through the trees and the aircon only cooled the end of the room that is was fitted in.
Also next door was the noisy staff and maintance area!
We thought the room was dark in the evening even with the lights on, the only mirror was in the bathroom that was old and musty (dont look under the sink unit!).
We had a hole in our mossi net over the bed.
We had no mossi issues but we were armed with Deet and room plug in.
Bar staff were good and bad, the drinks are made very strong, beware not premium brands with sodas coming up from a pressure tap.
The bar closes at 2230hrs a little early I thought especally as the majority of guests were late 20 something couples whilst we were there.
Town shuttle a bit of a rip off as if its only 2 of you it cost 40 USD return!
Two small bottles of water in fridge are complememtry, you have to pay for more (fully inclusive resort ?).
No WiFi unless you pay 10 USD per day, In 2014 it should be free.
The beach was excellent with a clear flat sea and plenty of sunbeds abeit the sun shades are a little low with many guests nursing their heads (ouch you only do this once!).
There is a bit of a bad egg smell from the fresh water lagoon behind the beach when the wind blows the wrong way, with a noise from the desalination plant next to the lagoon.
The food is a little bland with the breakfast fruit juice selection boring, but the breakfast egg ladies eggs are a must.
Sometime the table staff are a little slow clearing the tables.
We do recommend the round island boat trip on the "Excellence".
Most public areas need more then just a spring clean.

Room Tip: Make sure you have sea view over valley church and not the lagoon.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen M
Thank you for sharing a review of your recent Cocobay experience. We are truly grateful that you chose to return to Cocobay after nine years. However, it's obvious that you did not enjoy all aspects of your recent stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations and your review as a former guest is truly useful to us. We hope that you would consider visiting with us in the future.

Respectfully,

O'Neal
Resort Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was a little underwhelmed when we first reached Cocobay, but I soon came to realise that this was a hangover of work stress and a long flight. Over the first few days, as I relaxed and got into the slower flow of things, I became a lot happier!
The rooms are very Caribbean: basic, but clean and nice. We paid for a sea view, and to be fair could just about see the sea in the distance, past the containers and the lagoon... We expressed our unhappiness at the room and the manager, to his credit, immediately agreed to move us after a day when another room came free. The second room had a clearer view, but still over the lagoon... We never spend much time in our room though, so it wasn't a major issue, though I think it would be fairer if they explained the two 'levels' of sea view - on one 'side' the manicured grounds run to the sea close by - on the other, you look over a lagoon and some construction work to the sea in the far distance.
As with most places in the Caribbean (in my experience), there are excellent staff and rude staff - Cocobay pretty much had excellent staff - friendly, eager to ensure that you enjoyed your stay and good fun. That said, you really do have to accept that you will be on 'island time' and there is never a rush here - which, once you get into it, is actually pretty nice - especially if your home/work life is hectic.
Food is top notch - plenty of choice and everything was excellently cooked with good ingredients - portions are small in the evening, but substituting the pasta for the soup sorted me out!
No problems with drinks - we were sticking to cocktails and the punch, with the odd G&T and whiskey and ginger. I have no idea on the quality of the spirits; they pour so much in that after one or two I lost the use of my taste buds anyway ;-)
The pools are beautiful, but it was the beach that made our holiday. It is picture perfect - the sea is almost indescribably stunning; light blue, warm and crystal clear.
Sleep wasn't great - in our first room the noise (from frogs I believe?) is very loud and broke up my sleep (though my wife was fine) - our second room was much better, but as the rooms are 'rustic' any noise tends to get in. Light sleepers such as myself might struggle, but if you are a normal / deep sleeper then I don't think you'll have issues.
All in all, we loved it, and we were very sorry to leave. Having a daiquiri in the pool as the sun set over that amazing ocean is a memory that I will treasure. If you want to relax and don't need instant service(!) then Cocobay is very much recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil H
Meaux
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

We found Cocobay by looking at tripadvisor reviews. We wanted a low key, relaxing resort that wasnt crowed with hundreds of people and lots of kids. We found the perfect place... We stayed in a premium waterfront suite for 7 nights. The only thing I can think of that wasnt perfect was the little plunge pool on our porch was cold. The food was so good everyday, we never really wanted to eat anywhere else on the island. They even cooked some wahoo we caught on our fishing trip we took one day that was amazing. We did eat at the Sheer Rocks restaurant one night, it was expensive, but the quality of the food was in line with the price, and the chef there was a very nice guy. He tired his best to source as many locally grown foods as possible, which is important to my wife and I, as I run a all natural grass fed beef farm.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BBlanchet
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Sorry for the late review, but we stayed here in July of 2013. The property was fantastic! Very clean, courteous staff and the view was amazing. We loved the fact that our room as a private cottage and the hotel itself is small (not overcrowded at the pools or restaurant). I gave it a 4-star rating because of two things. The A/C was running but still felt a little warm when sleeping at night (maybe it was just the time of the year) and limited on food (my wife is vegetarian). I would have liked to see some more options for vegetarians. Overall, fantastic!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,650 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!