“Real all-inclusive resorts do not charge for food or have fee restaurants on premises.”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This review is separated into categories.
FOOD
1. Real all-inclusive resorts do not charge for food
When will management at All Inclusive resorts learn that the reason people chose all-inclusive resorts is because they do not want to have to think about money or taking out their wallet whilst on vacation. They believe (falsely in this case) that the price paid includes everything. Cocobay bills itself as an all-inclusive so I was shocked when, on the first night, at the (only) dinner restaurant on the grounds the menu had two additional options which incurred a cost. This happened EVERY NIGHT. Every dinner menu had additional paid options. It wasn't that much- however it really showed the DIVIDE between what is INCLUDED and what you can PAY ADDITIONAL FOR. Included was a chicken, fish and veg. Lobster and beef was extra. This should NOT happen at an all inclusive. I've stayed at many, many all inclusive and have never before been confronted with paying for better food at dinner. The website states "The main all-inclusive restaurant Rafters provides an intimate setting for breakfast, lunch and dinner with spectacular sea views." No where does it say there is an extra fee for the good stuff. I honestly, would have rather paid an extra $100 upfront and had the good stuff included instead of having this system which made me angry.

2. There was no water at the breakfast buffet. I don't understand why it is so hard to have a pitcher of water. You had to track down a water to get water. This is a basic need in a hot country. I am perfectly fine with getting it myself and do not understand why there was no water jug.

3. Snack Bar was pre-made
All the snack bar food was pre-made which means that if you wanted anything to be vegetarians you were completely out of luck. There was no effort to accomodate and modify any of the sandwiches for vegetarians. You were simply told "sorry we only have one options and its pre-made". This happened every day.

NOISE/ Crowds
4. There is a paid restaurant on the premises.
This is not a big deal but it was very odd to have a stream of snobby people traipsing through the resort to go the the very expensive restaurant that is below the pool. They also use the pool bar and don't seem to pay for it although the bar is supposedly part of the resort

5. Weddings are disrupted by boats dropping/ picking people up
We were thinking about having a wedding there. After witnessing a wedding continuously interrupted by noisy boats dropping of and picking up people and loads of bikini wearing guests we decided against it (SEE PICTURES)

6. UPP's Annual "Huge Party" at Ffryes Beach- It starts early all and goes on all night.
The first Monday is Antiguan Labour Day Holiday. The United Progressive Party (UPP) hosts a HUGE party every year - with tents, radio stations, races- on the neighboring beach. This happens every year. There is a race that ends (or starts) at the nearby beach. There is an all night party that ends around 4am. The race starts early to avoid the heat. (I'm not sure of the precise sequence). The bass is so loud it permeates the resort. This is NOT the hotel's fault- however, the hotel clearly knows about this but does not tell guests and acts surprised when guests ask about it. It is impossible to sleep that one night or function that whole day as the noise is absolutely deafening. Yes- it is only one night. No- it did not ruin our vacation but it would be good if there were some notice on the website as this is an annual occurrence or something at the resort to counter act this.

7. Staff routinely talked poorly about guests.
Staff openly gossiped about guests- particularly at the pool bar. Repeat guests were treated much better than those there for the first time. HOWEVER, the front desk staff were AMAZING, helpful and kind. The staff at the bar was not as great and seemed to be resentful to be working there. It was often overstaffed (2 bar tenders and no guests) or understaffed (1-2 bartenders after dinner and 20 guests + overspill from the paid restaurant Sheer Rocks). They seemed annoyed to work.

ROOMS:
In generally the rooms were fine- simple which is what we wanted. Without TV which is what we wanted. Airy bathrooms that were opened to the porch. The bad is below:

8. Air con worked sporadically.
When we asked for help, we were often left waiting for hours.

9. Mosquito net had many holes in it.
Our net in our room was shabby with holes in it.

BEACH:
10. The beach is narrow but nice. However, you have to go down a very steep set of stairs to get to the beach. One the side of the steps is a woman who has decided this small, dangerous area is the best place to sell her junk bracelets. I cannot understand this. It is unclear if she is on private or public property.

General:
11. It was clear that some people tipped. They clearly got better, faster service. I resent this.

The Good:
1. Front desk staff is AMAZING. Totally accommodating and truly wanting you to have a good time. They did not make excuses for others and instead really and honestly tried to listen to your concerns and rectify any problems you had. The manager O'niell is VERY proactive and tries to fix things immediately.

2. The buffets were good and in general there food was plentiful and good enough quality.

3. Pool chairs were easy to come by which was fantastic. There was none of the 6am reserving nonsense you find at other resorts.

4. Good variety of ages and nationally. There were youngish couples, older couples, Americans and Europeans. IT was not dominated by any one group.

5. Flexibility on Dinner: Twice was messed up our dinner reservation and the staff were totally accommodating and welcomed us in at a new time.

6. Beach was not shared with other resorts

In General:
The resort needs to decide if it is in fact an all inclusive or not.
If not, then charging for food is fine as is having non-guests drinking at the bar and traipsing through the resort.
If it is an all inclusive than it needs to find another way to get Sheer Rocks customers to Sheer Rocks without going the the resort. All Inclusive should NOT have any extra charges. Charge the extra $15 a day and do away with the stupid extra charges!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Mogotravels
CocobayGM, General Manager at Cocobay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for sharing feedback on your Cocobay stay of early 2013. We are truly sorry to learn that you did not enjoy all aspects of your experience while staying with us. Your review however, was received with humility and your constructive criticisms actually form the basis of our ongoing efforts to ensure guest satisfaction. We have noted some useful suggestions from your review as we have always been committed to listening to the people who matters - YOU, our past, present and prospective guests.

We do hope that you will consider visiting us again sometime in the future.

Respectfully,

O'Neal
Resort Manager

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This place was a honeymooner's dream!!! All of the staff were amazing and took care of Everything!!!! Even silly requests. I had requested fresh thinly sliced cucumbers to put on my eyes while enjoying the amazing outside tub. Not only was it put in our room a few hours later, but they replenished it each day we were there. I had also requested a chocolate cake be delivered with I note stating " I'm the Whooo." in honor of the wrestler Ric Flair which my husband loves to imitate. They not only delivered it, but Jerome and another staff member put on a Ric flair show. lol. My hubby got the biggest kick out of it.
The food is always amazing & tons of it. The only downfall is there is not any room service or after hours places to eat.Granted we were so full from the other meals we never needed it. The private dinner on the beach is an experience you can't miss. You do need to wake up early to put your reservation in for an early dinner time, otherwise you get the late dinners which is sometimes out of certain selections. Also if you book your trip through coco bays website you receive the choice of the premium supplemental food options at no extra charge.
This is a must if you like lobster. it could get pricy othinclusivehe premium waterfront suite was amazing. It is a little bit smaller than expected. There are also no drawers to put your clothes into. But the rest of the suite is well worth it.
The bar and wait staff were fantastic.Cyone was terrific. He always had our drinks ready for dinner before we were even seated. All of the servers exceeded all expectations. Since it is all inclusive resort you technically don't have to tip, but they are so amazing you should. Be sure to bring a lot of change because they do not usually have any.
There is one downside but it is the whole country of Antigua, not anything the resort can control. After dark, the locusts and frogs are extremely loud. So loud you can't even hear the ocean while in your room. I suffer from migraines and the first few days I had to sleep with my head under a pillow to try to block out the sound. You eventually get used to the noise, but I suffered a few migraines due to them. Bring lots of bug spray. We went through about a can a day. it is expensive in the gift shop, so bring plenty along.
Overall it was an absolutely amazing trip. I cannot say enough good things about it. It is the perfect setting for a quiet peaceful romantic trip. We pulled up to drop people off from a catamaran ride and were able to see other resorts. After seeing the Sandals resort and Jolly Barbour we both realized we picked the perfect resort for our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Book through the resorts website
2  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is a detailed review from the perspective of a non-honeymooning 20-something couple vacationing to Antigua for a week. We were afraid that we were going to be one of the few younger couples at the resort, but in general there was a pretty even mix of younger and older couples, and even one or two families (though I wouldn't really recommend this resort for families, it's more geared towards couples).

Accommodations: We stayed in a SeaView room with a plunge pool. Upon arrival, like other reviewers encountered we were warmly greeted, given cool towels and rum punch immediately. After check-in, we were explained a little bit about dinner reservations and shown the room. Upon entering the room we were taken back. The room and view outside of the room were gorgeous, and worth every penny. There were flowers welcoming us to the room which gave it an extra special touch. There are in-room safes that are secure and included with the room, a hammock, and our room had a mini-fridge stocked with water, soda, beer, and rum/rum punch. Because we are not soda drinkers, we requested it be replaced with water and it was promptly done by the front desk. We had an amazing view from the bed that overlooked the beautiful blue water and mountains across the bay. Everything in the room was good quality and made for an amazing room. The bed was literally the most comfortable hotel/resort bed I have ever slept in! The negatives were that we saw many ants on the bathroom counters periodically, and a cockroach one night. These didn't bother us too much as they were very secluded incidents and we understand it is a warm, Caribbean climate and a bungalow room. We left the glass doors to the deck open a fair amount of time and did not have any noticeable mosquitos or other bugs in the room, so the mosquito net over the bed was not needed in that respects, but added to the decor. The plunge pool was a waste of money. Though it looked really beautiful, we traveled in December and it was simply too cold to use it. It would be nice if we would have known that ahead of time. If it had been heated or a warmer summer month, it would have been well worth the money and a great addition to the room.

Bug Bites: Cocobay did a good job of running a machine almost every night to fumigate the bugs from the property, which likely helped ward them off. My boyfriend got a total of 3 bug bites, while I got many more (bugs love me). Most of mine were attributed to staying our first night in Antigua at Jolly Beach, but I did get some from Cocobay as well. They were only when I didn't wear bug spray, and were not very bothersome. Tip for travelers - buy a solid bug repellant stick before your trip. The bug spray at the gift shop is way overprices, and I found the solid stick prevented bites and does not count as a liquid when flying. If you're rub some of that on legs and arms you will not smell or feel like you put on gross bug spray and it was effective. Mosquitos and sand flies are annoying, but Cocobay is doing what they can to prevent it and I did think it was nearly as bad as other reviewers state. Just wear a little bug spray on your ankles legs! (basically the only place where I was bit).

Service: Overall the front desk staff was always very helpful and answered all questions. The only weakness I encountered with the staff is that you had to ask about things, rather than be given the information upon arrival. I had to ask about the yoga sessions, nature walk, and how dinner worked, which I would have never heard about or known otherwise. A recommendation to Cocobay would be to give the guests information packets or sheets detailing events and all other resort information upon arrival, so they will not miss it or have to repeatedly ask. Otherwise the staff was wonderful, and quickly helped us out with anything we needed from answering questions, booking excursions, and scheduling taxis. All food, bar, and front desk workers were very pleasant and helpful.

Food: There is one restaurant that is inclusive, and a Sheer Rocks restaurant that you have to pay for if you choose to go there. We only at at the inclusive restaurant, and did not feel like we missed anything. Each time the food was amazing, and we had no issues with service or getting sick. Breakfast is a buffet, with eggs being cooked to your liking by one of the staff members, and usually the buffet portion consists of pancakes, sausage, bacon, pastries, fruit, bread, bagels, and juice. There are flies some days but all the food is protected and kept sanitary from what we saw. The food was always cooked well and being able to have freshly cooked eggs any way you want (fried, scrambled, omelets, you name it) was a bonus. Lunch was also a buffet, sometimes with a staff member cooking up food at the grill. We were on excursions for a couple of lunches, but a day we ate there they had fresh cooked hamburgers and fries, another day grilled fish, and another there was no one at the grill but there was delicious jerk chicken and fish in the buffet portion. There are always plenty of sides as well. You are required to make reservations for dinner at the front desk, and it's a sit down and order a for course meal kind of thing. Always there are 3 appetizer options, a soup, 4 different main dishes (one meat, vegetarian, fish, and pasta), and afterwards 3 dessert options. Each night had a different selection, and there was always something, if not multiple things, that sounded great. I have no complaints with the dinner taste or selections, everything we ate was amazing. The portions are slightly smaller and very well displayed, but we always were absolutely stuffed afterwards due to the many courses (and if you are hungry they would likely bring out some more food). If you miss the standard lunch hours or don't feel like doing the buffet, they serve paninis down at the beach bar. We had these twice and both times were very delicious.

Bar: Bar service was good, and they were able to mix up any drink you asked. Their cocktail list was very delicious, though I wish it did change every other day or so, because I am not very good at knowing different cocktail names and combinations. Overall the selection was good, and drinks were delicious. If you wanted it stronger or something on the rocks that was not a problem. If they have fresh bananas or other fruits they will be willing to make a fresh fruit daiquiri if you ask.

Beach: The water was insanely blue, and the beach was beautiful. We were always able to find a beach chair, no matter what time. The beach did get a lot of people at peak hours, but nothing compared to what you would see at Sandals or another bigger resort. The beach was secluded and really only Cocobay guests used it. Another beach is within walking distance if you want more variety. There was no noticeable place worth snorkeling off the resort, but that was alright by us. There is a Hobie cat and 3 kayaks for use as well. We booked a catamaran excursion with Wadali Cats and they were able to pick us up right from the beach.

Overall: We were both very pleased with our stay at Cocobay Resorts, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic vacation with beautiful views, great food, friendly staff, and a gorgeous beach and pool. We had a very positive experience and felt that we did get our moneys worth. Aside from a few negative points, which any hotel will have, Cocobay helped make our vacation to Antigua great!

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are worth it. Plunge pools are too cold in the winter months.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank lanatay03
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We have recently returned from a two week holiday at this Hotel and can agree with nearly all of the previous guests comments. The staff - ALL of them - from the gardeners (who do a fantastic job of keeping the gardens immaculate), the cleaners who kept the room immaculate, to all of the waiters and waitresses, the bar staff and the front desk staff (who all have the perfect personality for their position) ALL were excellent. The Manager and Manageress were always visible if you needed to talk to them which was good. The bar staff were brilliant and the choice of drinks was good. The wine and the sparkling wine tasted very good and I sampled quite alot of it!
The rooms are as described with a really comfortable bed. I would give other guests a tip - take some ear plugs and an eye mask as the rooms have a tin roof and when it rains it is really noisey and you do get bats and other creatures running on the roof, plus they only have net curtains at the windows so when it gets light you will wake up whether you want to or not. This didnt bother us as we are early risers anyway but others may not be, plus I had taken ear plugs as my Husband snores!!!.
The views from the pools are fantastic as everyone has commented on
So, what do we not agree with? Unfortunately the food. We thought it was "style over substance". Yes the evening meal always looked good and was presented very well but the taste was bland. I do not mean I want spice, I just want flavour and most of the meals had none. On some occasions if I closed my eyes I had no idea what I was eating The breakfasts on the cooked side were disappointing. If there was sausages one day there was no beans and vice versa. I would have expected there to be more choice....sausages, bacon, eggs, beans, hash browns, mushrooms, grilled tomatoes .....but you didnt get this. The eggs were great but there was so often such a long queue for them that we didnt bother. My Husband waited 15 minutes one day. Could they not have two people working this station? Just a suggestion. We ate out quite a few times which is not what I would have expected to have to do.
Another suggestion, could the sun matresses not have been collected up each night and stored somewhere where they did not get rained on? Most nights it chucked it down so the matresses were always sodden and not very pleasant to lie on first thing.
We have a throughly good holiday as the staff, the grounds, the setting and the service was great. Its just the food that we thought let this excellent Hotel down.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeicestershireDex
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our 2nd visit to Cocobay, and we took our friends with us this time. Since our last visit another infinity pool has been added, which was lovely. The staff welcomed us back with open arms.
We requested the same room we had before, which we got, with a welcome back in flowers on the bed. Food was excellent and all the staff are really friendly. Did excursions around the island. Weather was good, a little rain everyday but only for a few minutes. As a travel agent it is unusual for me to return to the same place twice, but I will return again. Our thanks to all the staff at Cocobay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have now been here 11 times so know the location very well. What makes it so special is that the staff all remember us as if we were family. They really can't do enough for you. As always we loved every minute of our stay. If you want us to complain it would be impossible. Yes there are things that could make it even better like a chest of drawers in the room and another public loo or two near the lower beach but we am really splitting hairs here. Where else can we get such a stunning view in our own cottage with staff who work so hard with an attitude which makes you happy to meet them? Where else can we go where we meet so many people we know from previous visits culminating in a first class dinner in recognition of our regular visits ? I haven't come across anywhere to even come near Cocobay. Loved the food and all the effort that goes into getting just right for us. Great as always - we'll be back next year this place is so special.

Room Tip: All the cottages are great as they represent the concept of Coco Bay. A sea view with a balcony and...
3  Thank bill d
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cocobay for our honeymoon from Oct. 29 - Nov. 8, 2013. Our first week was perfection. The first night we were upgraded to TeePee, an oceanfront room but I actually preferred the #5 seaview room we booked originally. (We moved there after the first night). But it was nice to see the differences. TeePee had a larger deck and 2 chaise loungers, but the bathroom had window shutters instead of the door that completely opens to the outside. And I actually thought the view was better from #5. Anyway, the first few days we basically just hung out and relaxed. I would recommend walking down to Valley Church beach. The resort beach is nice, but this beach is in a cove so the water is amazingly calm. And there were only 2 other people there when we were. We booked massages in our room, which were amazing. I felt like butter afterwards. On Saturday we booked Wadadli Cats, the catamaran tour. It rained that day all day and the next, but we still had a blast. Snorkeling was a little rough in the rain, but so many people had canceled because of the rain that there were only a few of us on the boat, which was pretty cool.

On Friday evening we went to Sheer Rocks for dinner. This was extremely disappointing. The food at the resort was much better, and the service was beyond better. The cous cous had so much mint in it that we couldn't eat it. And it was super expensive. The only plus was the more extensive wine list. Now, that being said, a couple staying at Cocobay at the same time went for tapas on a different night and said it was great.

On Sunday evening I got violently ill after dinner. I don't know where it came from and honestly I don't care. I understand that sometimes you get a bad piece of seafood. It happens. But I was a little disappointed with the response from the resort.

I couldn't leave the room at all on Monday. My husband did go to the dining room and get a tray for me for dinner, but I couldn't eat it. The only thing I could keep down was water. Previously we were ok with filling up the empties with tap water, but I couldn't do it when I was sick. (The water, like most beach places, has that sweet salty taste to it). So we called for bottled water. Which we were charged for. Normally I wouldn't care, but I was sick and dehydrated and still had to pay for water. Which I found ridiculous.

On Tuesday I went to the front desk and asked for a doctor. The first thing they asked me was where I had eaten. I get that you don't want anyone to know that someone is sick, but seriously, just get me a doctor. The doctor arrived about an hour later and she was great. Gave me Cipro, Immodium and electrolytes. That was a little over $200.

Afterwards we went to the restaurant for lunch and I asked if they had any chicken broth. The food is very good, but being sick I needed something bland. I was told that they didn't have anything. Now, they have soup every night so I found that very weird. So I ate about 3 of my husband's french fries instead.

On Wednesday I was able to get out of the bungalow at least, but our beachfront dinner was that night and I ate hardly any of it. The few bites of steak I did eat were very good, though. And my husband absolutely loved his spiny lobster. And it was still romantic. So that was a good highlight.

I recommend booking your excusions with Collette and her mom on the beach. They have a booth beneath the tree right next to the Hobie Cat. We were supposed to go on a zipline tour/Stingray City on Tuesday but being sick we couldn't go. Luckily they were able to rebook us on Thursday. I highly recommend this tour. Our tour guide was awesome. We ziplined in the morning, then went to Betty's Hope (old sugar plantation) and had a catered lunch. It was the best food I'd had in days. Grilled chicken, rice, just good basic food. Then we went to Stingray City. Along the way we drove around the island and he pointed out interesting things. It was nice to get to see the rest of Antigua. Especially since we were cooped up for so long.

Note on the food: I love vegetables, having grown up in the South. You won't find many here. They had lots of pumpkin dishes, which I understand because they were in season. And potatoes. Which is why almost every day for lunch we went to the restaurant, because it's the only time you can get salad. Sometimes I need my green stuff. I've heard some people talk about the portion sizes. My husband is a big guy and he said it was plenty of food. My only regret is that I wasn't able to eat more of it. (I'm probably the only person in history who went to an all-inclusive and lost 7 pounds).

Get the plunge pool. It comes in incredibly handy when it rains, or when your husband is bored out of his mind because he's been cooped up with a sick wife for 3 days.

The staff and the natural beauty are what make this place a gem. Cicely, Craig and Cyeon were awesome bartenders. Kevin always made sure we had whatever we needed in the bungalow. Sonia and her omelettes. And the housekeeping staff was amazing. I would highly recommend that you tip people. I know it's all-inclusive but they are worth it.

So in summary, this place is not for high maintenance people. And if I hadn't gotten sick I would have given the place rave reviews. I just don't think they knew what to do with me. (Several of the front desk staff did ask my husband how I was doing and such, which was very nice). So definitely go. Just don't get sick!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!