“Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Ware, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our 2nd visit to Cocobay, and we took our friends with us this time. Since our last visit another infinity pool has been added, which was lovely. The staff welcomed us back with open arms.
We requested the same room we had before, which we got, with a welcome back in flowers on the bed. Food was excellent and all the staff are really friendly. Did excursions around the island. Weather was good, a little rain everyday but only for a few minutes. As a travel agent it is unusual for me to return to the same place twice, but I will return again. Our thanks to all the staff at Cocobay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have now been here 11 times so know the location very well. What makes it so special is that the staff all remember us as if we were family. They really can't do enough for you. As always we loved every minute of our stay. If you want us to complain it would be impossible. Yes there are things that could make it even better like a chest of drawers in the room and another public loo or two near the lower beach but we am really splitting hairs here. Where else can we get such a stunning view in our own cottage with staff who work so hard with an attitude which makes you happy to meet them? Where else can we go where we meet so many people we know from previous visits culminating in a first class dinner in recognition of our regular visits ? I haven't come across anywhere to even come near Cocobay. Loved the food and all the effort that goes into getting just right for us. Great as always - we'll be back next year this place is so special.

Room Tip: All the cottages are great as they represent the concept of Coco Bay. A sea view with a balcony and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank strettonbilldavies
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cocobay for our honeymoon from Oct. 29 - Nov. 8, 2013. Our first week was perfection. The first night we were upgraded to TeePee, an oceanfront room but I actually preferred the #5 seaview room we booked originally. (We moved there after the first night). But it was nice to see the differences. TeePee had a larger deck and 2 chaise loungers, but the bathroom had window shutters instead of the door that completely opens to the outside. And I actually thought the view was better from #5. Anyway, the first few days we basically just hung out and relaxed. I would recommend walking down to Valley Church beach. The resort beach is nice, but this beach is in a cove so the water is amazingly calm. And there were only 2 other people there when we were. We booked massages in our room, which were amazing. I felt like butter afterwards. On Saturday we booked Wadadli Cats, the catamaran tour. It rained that day all day and the next, but we still had a blast. Snorkeling was a little rough in the rain, but so many people had canceled because of the rain that there were only a few of us on the boat, which was pretty cool.

On Friday evening we went to Sheer Rocks for dinner. This was extremely disappointing. The food at the resort was much better, and the service was beyond better. The cous cous had so much mint in it that we couldn't eat it. And it was super expensive. The only plus was the more extensive wine list. Now, that being said, a couple staying at Cocobay at the same time went for tapas on a different night and said it was great.

On Sunday evening I got violently ill after dinner. I don't know where it came from and honestly I don't care. I understand that sometimes you get a bad piece of seafood. It happens. But I was a little disappointed with the response from the resort.

I couldn't leave the room at all on Monday. My husband did go to the dining room and get a tray for me for dinner, but I couldn't eat it. The only thing I could keep down was water. Previously we were ok with filling up the empties with tap water, but I couldn't do it when I was sick. (The water, like most beach places, has that sweet salty taste to it). So we called for bottled water. Which we were charged for. Normally I wouldn't care, but I was sick and dehydrated and still had to pay for water. Which I found ridiculous.

On Tuesday I went to the front desk and asked for a doctor. The first thing they asked me was where I had eaten. I get that you don't want anyone to know that someone is sick, but seriously, just get me a doctor. The doctor arrived about an hour later and she was great. Gave me Cipro, Immodium and electrolytes. That was a little over $200.

Afterwards we went to the restaurant for lunch and I asked if they had any chicken broth. The food is very good, but being sick I needed something bland. I was told that they didn't have anything. Now, they have soup every night so I found that very weird. So I ate about 3 of my husband's french fries instead.

On Wednesday I was able to get out of the bungalow at least, but our beachfront dinner was that night and I ate hardly any of it. The few bites of steak I did eat were very good, though. And my husband absolutely loved his spiny lobster. And it was still romantic. So that was a good highlight.

I recommend booking your excusions with Collette and her mom on the beach. They have a booth beneath the tree right next to the Hobie Cat. We were supposed to go on a zipline tour/Stingray City on Tuesday but being sick we couldn't go. Luckily they were able to rebook us on Thursday. I highly recommend this tour. Our tour guide was awesome. We ziplined in the morning, then went to Betty's Hope (old sugar plantation) and had a catered lunch. It was the best food I'd had in days. Grilled chicken, rice, just good basic food. Then we went to Stingray City. Along the way we drove around the island and he pointed out interesting things. It was nice to get to see the rest of Antigua. Especially since we were cooped up for so long.

Note on the food: I love vegetables, having grown up in the South. You won't find many here. They had lots of pumpkin dishes, which I understand because they were in season. And potatoes. Which is why almost every day for lunch we went to the restaurant, because it's the only time you can get salad. Sometimes I need my green stuff. I've heard some people talk about the portion sizes. My husband is a big guy and he said it was plenty of food. My only regret is that I wasn't able to eat more of it. (I'm probably the only person in history who went to an all-inclusive and lost 7 pounds).

Get the plunge pool. It comes in incredibly handy when it rains, or when your husband is bored out of his mind because he's been cooped up with a sick wife for 3 days.

The staff and the natural beauty are what make this place a gem. Cicely, Craig and Cyeon were awesome bartenders. Kevin always made sure we had whatever we needed in the bungalow. Sonia and her omelettes. And the housekeeping staff was amazing. I would highly recommend that you tip people. I know it's all-inclusive but they are worth it.

So in summary, this place is not for high maintenance people. And if I hadn't gotten sick I would have given the place rave reviews. I just don't think they knew what to do with me. (Several of the front desk staff did ask my husband how I was doing and such, which was very nice). So definitely go. Just don't get sick!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Moreno Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Cocobay was more then what my husband and I expected. We stayed for 5nts. (too short, wish we stayed longer) All the pictures online were just as beautiful but in person its even better. As soon as we arrived to the resort, we were greeted with rum punch and a nice cold towel. The resort staff is very friendly and always willing to help you in anyway. We booked the premium waterfront suite. omg, right when we walked in I was at awww... it was gorgous. The view of the beach and the water was amazing! The beach was quite, not too many vendors bug you. the water is clam and swimable. The drinks were delcious Cyeon made the best rum punch and bloody marys. The food was perfect, although we both wish for more options during breakfast, but the omelettes were always tasty. Lunch was great, everyday was a new menu. They also had panini's served at the pool. Tea time was at 4pm everyday, My husband and I always looked forward to dinner. We booked the premium waterfront suite so we were able to order the lobster everyday with other items at no extra charge. (must book through the resorts website)
The grounds were always kept clean and maintained. I loved the whole outdoor feel being in a tropical island. We were going to stay at a Sandals Resort, but glad we didnt. This resort is small and quite, unlike the huge crowds at any other all inclusive resort. Overall, being an all inclusive resort the quality was great and we cant wait to come back again for our up comming anniversaries!

Room Tip: the premium waterfront suites was worth the extra money, best views, a/c, and spacious. If you book...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vnm1215
Fairmont, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

I would rate our stay as a 31/2.

My wife and I just got back from a week at Cocobay. We arrived late on Saturday and still got the cool towel and rum punch. This is a first for us.

Our stay started out a little shaky. We had requested an upgrade to ac and sea front. We didn't get either one, but we did have a pretty good view of two different beaches.

The first morning breakfast was very disappointing. Actually, everyone but the last. I could not get them to fry my eggs the way I like them. I like them with soft yokes but no runny whites. They always over cooked on the first side and then by the time the whites were done...hard yolks. Finally, the last day, they were perfect. Otherwise, the food was all good.

My wife hit it off with Winston, the shell guy and got some neat shells.

My first meeting with Robert, the Hoby guy, was a little different, too. I was looking for towels and happened to walk behind the bar where he kept them. We yelled at me to keep away! All was cool after that and Robert became our favorite. Make sure you ask him to show you the "sleeping Indian"!

By the end of our week, we were very pleased we came to Cocobay. The pros way outweigh the cons and the place actually does grow on you. We met a lot of people from England and the US.

The biggest con for me was the rot got liquor. I could not drink the whiskey or the bourbon. We pay enough to stay at this resort that they could offer at least middle of the road booze. My preference is Jack but would be ok with Jim. Actually, the gin and vodka was just that...middle of the road, but drinkable.

Like everyone else has said, the staff is fantastic. Our bucket list is long but when it is empty we will definitely be back to Cocobay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Allgoodonesgone
Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We don't normally look to stay in All Inclusive resorts but we needed somewhere in Antigua for 5 days and this place came up on lastminute.com. I actually booked direct with the hotel which was a little cheaper, perhaps their last minute deal was more up to date.

There were plenty of guests who just stayed in the hotel the whole time, I think we would have found that a little claustrophobic, we hired a car from the airport so could escape everyday, something I would recommend. We also went deep sea fishing with Fishing Antigua, a great day out even for people like us who know nothing about fishing.

Positives:
The staff are all great, they are all cheerful, efficient and make a real difference to the guests stay. I did notice some negative comments in trip advisor about the welcome, I think they must be reviewing a different place.

The sheds (bedrooms) are comfortable, large beds, mozzie nets, very quiet air conditioning, a fridge, an effective and hot shower and decent coffee making facilities.

Neither good nor bad: The food, it is high quality mass catering, not haute cuisine, there are some specials on the menu for which you pay extra, I tried one, it was not worth the extra $24.

Bad points:
Internet Charges - The charge $10US a day for Internet access, my wife and I are both self employed and have to access emails every day. How can an "all inclusive" claim that the Internet is an extra (the reason seems to be that they have not wired up the resort and have to give you a 4G mobile but this is a poor solution, these days people expect free WiFi, just as they expect hot water).

Credit card numbers, they took my credit card details when I booked, they took an imprint of my card when I arrived, they asked for the number again on the booking form and then took two imprints when I asked for Internet access. This seems unprofessional, in the past I have had trouble with my card being used by crooks in the USA where you don't need a PIN number or any other verification, this multiple collection of the data makes me feel uneasy.

Whilst driving round the island we saw a number of other resort hotels and none seemed to us as nice as Cocobay. For example Sandals seemed much classier but it is huge by comparison and their beach was crowded. Many others looked like they had seen better days and could do with a paint. A few very posh ones in little bays in the West of the Island looked good but they are a long way from anywhere, Cocobay is half way between St John's and English Harbour and only 5 minutes drive from Jolly harbour so it is easy to arrange fishing trips or go and pose next to a few superyachts (it was the charter boat show the next week and English Harbour was filling up with huge floating gin palaces in preparation).

In summary I would say Coco Bay is a good value option with very friendly staff and a good location. It is on the small side for an all inclusive and this makes it all the more personal.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShropshireOldfart
Boston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Lets get the bad things out of the way first. You will get bitten by mossies so take some repellant. The rooms are rustic and in our view you definately need the air con. The shower drains through the door onto the ground underneath the room but we did not notice any smells so the system seems to work even if it is a little basic. The air con and fridge were noisy in room 19. We had a few ants in the room but nothing to worry about. The bed is covered by a netting but we did not see any mossies in the room during our stay in November. If you like to explore on foot you will need a taxi as there are no bars/shops within reasonable walking distance of the resort. So I suppose we were a little disappointed when we first checked in and went to our room.
Having said that the resort grows on you and by the end of our week we loved it. We just needed to chill out. The sea views from the balcony were fantastic and many a happy hour was spent in the balcony hammock watching the birds and especially the humming birds. The gardens and pathways of the resort are stunning. The food is nouveau cuisine and is very enjoyable but it would have been even better to have the full choice without having to pay the supplements of $25 per meal. The drinks are plentiful and the rum punch reputed to be one of the best. All the staff are wonderful and cannot do enough to make your stay a happy one. The beach is beautiful but the sea drops fairly quickly so non swimmers probably better using the lovely infinity pools. Many people we talked to were returning for the umpteenth time so its a resort that grows on you.

Room Tip: Get a room with air con and one with a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lorrandt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,650 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!