WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reisterstown, Maryland
“The ideal honeymoon resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

A few tips before I gush over this resort: - this is NOT a sandals-esque resort. Do not book here expecting a party atmosphere. This is a small, intimate resort that caters to couples on honeymoon and romantic getaways. Also, DEFINITELY book through the resort's web page. The supplementary menu for dinner is only included in the all-inclusive if you do. We loved having the extra options at no charge. Honeymooners, there is also a significant discount code if you book through the site, so be sure to use that. Standard rooms do not have AC or the best views, it is totally worth upgrading to the ocean front rooms (We loved TC or Tamarind Cay).

Ok, now that that's out of the way. WOW!!! This resort is amazing. It starts with a cold towel and rum punch greeting at reception and that sets the tone for the type of service you can expect from the staff. The waiters/waitresses at the restaurant are extremely pleasant and attentive. Their good mood is infectious. Our room was decorated with flower petals when we arrived and we also returned to our room after dinner the second nice to find electric candles and flower petals as well. On our last night, the manager (O'Neil) send a bottle of rum punch and roasted coconut to thank us for staying. All of these little things really added to our romantic week in paradise.

The food was exceptional! I've only been to one other all-inclusive, but the food here far outdid what I expected. The dinner menu is very exotic (4 courses) and a bit intimidating, but everything I ate was exquisite! My wife is very particular and not generally a seafood fan and she loved the food as well, so no worries if you are a picky eater. I would encourage you to branch out and try new things like I did. I found so many things I would never have expected to like so much! The beds are roomy and comfortable. My wife and I have gotten used to a sleep number bed and this is the only other bed that we have been able to sleep well in since we got it. The cleaning staff does a good job cleaning your room every day. The mini-fridge is restocked every day (if you are good to your cleaning crew, they will often hook you up with more rum in your fridge, so take care of them!!). The views are breathtaking all over the resort. On clear days, you can see both the islands of Montserrat and Nevis. Even walking around the resort is beautiful as the walks are beautifully landscaped and manicured. The most accessible beach is Ffryes beach, right off the resort. It is public, so there are a few vendors, but they are far less obnoxious than other places and since the beach is on the less populated part of the island, they are not as many. We even used one of them to rent a jet-ski and book a trip to Montserrat (which is beautifully fascinating as well as you get to see the aftermath of the volcanic activity there over the last 2 decades). Also, the beach is not packed to finding a place to put chairs is not a problem at all. The beach is clean and the water so calm and soothing! There are 2 main infinity pools, though we only ever visited the one right by the beach. Like the beach, they are not crowded and very refreshing.

I'll finish by saying that we WILL be going back to Cocobay and would encourage anyone and everyone considering a romantic getaway in the Caribbean to put Cocobay at the top of your list. You WILL NOT regret it. I cannot say enough good things about our week-long stay at this resort. Truly an experience that we will remember and treasure forever.

1 Thank AHollenberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as part of a romantic and well needed break over my birthday.

Not often that a place exceeds my expectations. I travel a lot and live in hotels etc. Cocobay did E exceed my expectations though. The private pool we had is a must...do not even consider the others! We had a refurbed unit, so it was awesome.

As it is an all inclusive resort, I always have my doubts. The drinks variety was okay, the house wines very good and the beer drinkable (although only a choice of 1). The food was fine. Breakfast is the same everyday and do not be in a hurry to get your eggs - after all you are on holiday! All freshly made by 1 person serving the whole resort. No cheese in sight throughout the visit was dearly missed.

Lunch was reasonable. not much of a variety, but enough. Bit bland.

Dinner is a 4 course affair. They try to go cuisine style and probably get there reasonably well. I booked directly with the resort, so I had no restrictions on what we ordered. Lobster it was every night!

ONE warning -- men must wear collar shirt and long trousers for dinner. Nobody warns you until you check in. Luckily I had a jeans....was uncomfortably warm as I packed nothing else but shorts.

Staff is very friendly, nearly too friendly. We found some of the bar staff sarcastic and rude, but it was mostly only one guy and we decided he is just one of those people in life!

Will I go again? YES - absolutely. What I wrote here might sound negative, but it is the reality about the food and drinks.

The place is NOT for kids.....whatever they try and tell you. 80% of the couples are honeymooners....

Room Tip: Private pool and aircon in your room is a must. Do not even consider the standard units.
2 Thank HermanFick
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Let me preface this by saying that we are more of a low-key couple that appreciates high-end things and relaxing. If you want to drink a lot and be on top of other people all of the time then go to Sandals. Coco Bay is a high-end beautiful place and has a diverse clientele from people all over the world.

The food- Every morning they had a great breakfast buffet with fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, pancakes and an assortment of other food. It was perfect. Lunch was always good and they included a salad option if you did not like what they were cooking. They would also have a different dessert every day after lunch which was perfect. Dinner was always amazing. My wife had the lobster twice and I could not get enough of the steak. It was very romantic and just a great setting with great service.

Accommodations- Just wow. We had a premium villa with a pool and never wanted to leave. It was the most amazing thing ever. When we show pictures to our friends and family they are jealous because of how great it was.

The grounds- Everything was perfectly manicured and beautiful. We sat by all of the pools and on the beach comfortably. It was very relaxing there there was great service. It was also quaint so you did not have to fight for a place to sit nor did you have to take a shuttle to a different pool or walk a mile.

The staff- Absolutely spectacular. They made the experience so enjoyable and were so accommodating and friendly.

My wife and I had literally nothing go wrong when we stayed at Coco Bay it was perfect and we are going to continue to go back for years to come. It was PERFECT!!!

I strongly recommend bringing bug spray. We were nervous when reading other reviews about the bugs but it turned out to be fine with a bit of bug spray.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alex j
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 2 weeks at this resort and it really is lovely. It's a unique resort set in beautiful surroundings and we loved every minute of our stay.

Such a friendly place. The people there were all so nice and the stff were brilliant. Really made us feel welcome!

We stayed in a Seaview Cottage which was gorgeous and again, very unique! We didn't go for a cottage with a plunge pool but we found the hotel pools fantastic, spending most of our time plunging in the bigger pool.

Food was amazing and drink was flowing (in a strong way!!).

Overall, couldn't fault the place!

Room Tip: Having a Sea view room is soooo beautiful!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Wow. Our second visit and perfection just gets better. From the staff, (Melissa, Keva, Oriel, Kevin, Sonia, Cicely to name just a few), to the location, the pools, the guests themselves, there is nowhere else we've found that chills you out, totally and completely. No phones, tv,clocks.......time is irrelevant, you just go with the flow. The food is amazing.....the chef has to be complimented. We will be back again. This is a bolt hole, a revitalising oasis. If you want simple, get-away-from it all, this is it......... Can't be faulted. Wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Turn55
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Let me begin by saying that some of the bad reviews really are just kind of absurd. Things to know....there is no wifi, no tv, not even clocks in your room. This is, by all definition, a complete island getaway. And yes, you can hear the ocean and the birds and the frogs and the crickets and whatever other critters that live in the tropics...because...you're on an island... Anyway, we were looking to get away and that was EXACTLY what we were looking for when we chose Cocobay for our honeymoon destination and boy did they deliver.

We stayed in the Chattel House and the view was absolutely amazing. It was seafront, there was a plunge pool and it was very well kept. It's an island so...yeah...it's hot. But the fan and the AC kept us cool enough to enjoy when the heat really did get to us. The first night was so beautiful we slept with the doors open and had the ocean lull us to sleep.

The food was delicious, the drinks were also delicious and the staff was WONDERFUL. Phyllis, JoyAnn, Melissa and everyone else at the front desk to the housekeepers to the bartenders were so attentive and ALWAYS had a smile on their face, cracking jokes and just in general being amazing.

The views...holy crap the views!! The pictures don't even do this place justice. The ocean was warm, turquoise and beautiful. The pools were well kept and also had excellent views. Really, anywhere you went on this resort you were seeing something great.

What I loved most was how intimate this resort is. It wasn't big, you saw the same faces everyday and familiarized yourself easily. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat and we cannot wait to go back for an anniversary, a birthday or maybe I'll convince my husband to return just because. They treat you like royalty here ,you aren't a number here and that is extremely hard to find at an all-inclusive. By the second day, they know you by name...I mean...really...it's great.

Room Tip: get a seafront room with a plunge pool, it's worth it.
5 Thank Jessica A
Hannover, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 7 nights at CocoBay for our 5th Anniversary. All the reviews on here are true. It's great, the staff could not have been more helpful, friendly and genuine. The property is beautiful, very well maintained, and even though Oct. always has a threat of a hurricane, it was quiet, not crowded at all, and the weather was beautiful.

One thing I was missing from all the other reviews when making the decision to come here was anything about the quality of the food. Since it's an All-inclusive menu, I was a bit skeptical since fine food is a true passion of ours. However, the food was very good, for being all-inclusive. Breakfast and Lunch were buffet style, or a Panini grill at the pool, and dinner was an order off the menu set up. I gave the food 4 stars.

We stayed in the Premium Waterfront Suite, which I highly recommend. There seemed to be 4-6 of them total, and are right on the water. All the other pool front cottages are higher up on the hill, and while it seems like a great view, you also have the other cottages right in front of you. Be aware, however, that the premium suites are not 100% private. If the guests in the cottages to each side of you are on their porch or in their plunge pool, you can see and hear each other fairly well. They are still the best rooms and views though, so I wouldn't trade that.

We rented a jeep for one day, that was delivered to us right at the resort and drove all around the island. We went zip-lining in the rainforest, over to Shirley Heights (the highest point on the island) and to Half Moon Bay (gorgeous beach) and the Devil's Bridge (rocky cliff formations on the water). This was a great way to see the island, and Half Moon Bay was our favorite beach. There were maybe 6 people there, it felt like a private beach.

At the resort, we explored the beaches close by, swam around to get to some other private areas, which is really easy to do, and you are all alone on the beaches during the week. It seemed to us that no one else even looked for another private area outside the resort beach, which meant we had private beaches to ourselves all week long. Just takes 5 minutes of exploring. It was great!
We would certainly return, and recommend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway. (All couples, celebrating honeymoons, anniversaries, etc.)
The staff was amazing! Hugs all around when we left, and many thanks to Melissa, Sascha, Phyllis, Joy Ann, Tamika, Patrea, Miranda, just to name a few, as everyone was so wonderful!

3 Thank Tree603
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,464 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!