“Cocobay Honeymoon”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to Cocobay for a week for our honeymoon. We were over the moon with our choice. The resort was friendly, clean, relaxing and absolutely amazing. We wholeheartedly recommend this resort for a relaxing couples trip!

Room Tip: We loved our plunge pool suite! The private pool was really nice for after dinner swims!
1  Thank Lindsey B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,342)

A wonderful holiday.
A stunning location.
Every member of the Cocobay staff were pleasant.
Mr Gore who worked in the Restaurant made sure that everyone felt special.
All the guests were very friendly.
A holiday full of memories.

Room Tip: F2 an uphill trek to the very top of the hill especially in the heat,
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Loved everything staff food views beach pools drink well worth a visit great venue for weddings honeymoons or just holidays the staff was happy to help and very friendly and also great watersports and a good idea was afternoon tea at 4pm good old pots of tea and sandwiches and cake

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days for my best-friend's wedding, and it was an awesome experience. I thought the rustic nature of the central area was very cool, but nothing could have prepared me for the views from the cabins. I arrived at night so my first view in the morning was overlooking the pristine blue waters of Cocobay. The cabins are quite spacious, and come standard with mosquito netting to prevent the night time intruders, it didn't look out of place like in some other hotels as the beds were very large, four poster style. The breakfast menu was great, and I loved it that you could speak directly to the chef at the cook line and order any kind of omelette - it was always good. The hotel has lots of different spots for chilling - indoors and outdoors, and what an awesome infinity pool! Though the cabins are placed reasonably far apart, I could still see hints of my neighbours which made me feel a bit exposed when I was in the plunge pool. And though it's supposed to be a bit romantic to have a completely open shower in the bathroom, you always ended up soaking the floor and the girlfriend never liked using the loo with a wet floor - I hope they can upgrade the bathrooms as that was my only peeve. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend or honeymoon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

STAFF
The staff were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us. As a vegetarian I was concerned about the food, as it wasn't the usual "all inclusive" buffet style in the evening, but the staff ensured that my dietary requirements were taken care of. I am not a lover of peppers and they noted this and even omitted them from some of the dishes which was much appreciated.

POOL
There are two pools. We used the pool closest to the bar/restaurant and it was never crowded. It was very clean and we saw staff checking it and cleaning it. Other guests mentioned that the lower pool area had a problem with sand flies as it was on the beach so we avoided it.

ROOM
We had a sea view room, which although it wasn't close to the beach, had a lovely view of the sea. The air conditioning was a life-saver, and I would strongly suggest you opt for a room that has it, as the ceiling fans will not keep the room cool enough. The room had a "rustic" feel, and in my opinion was a little "tired" looking, especially the bathroom. The bed was comfortable, however I did notice a few holes in the net around the bed which concerned me, as insects could get in. TAKE INSECT REPELLANT AND A SPRAY I.E RAID SPRAY(uk) AS THERE ARE ANTS AND MOSQUITOES.

FOOD
The standard of the food was excellent, but be prepared to eat Caribbean cuisine, especially in the evening when there is a menu with approx 4 options for each course (plus one soup which is served after the starter). Don't expect the usual all inclusive buffetThe portion sizes are not big. The main course doesn't generally come with traditional veg and potatoes, however as there are 4 courses, it is sufficient and we weren't hungry by the time we got to dessert. For the first few days we didn't realise that desserts are available after lunch.

HANDY TIPS
If you are a light sleeper TAKE EARPLUGS! The crickets and Cuban frogs are VERY LOUD and there is noise from 6am to 6pm every night. There is also a metal roof, so when it rains heavily in the night, it's very loud.

Virgin Ahoy trip was brilliant and well worth the money, but check the non Virgin tours carefully. We went on one tour and it was sold to us with a trip to a sugar plantation and a tour of the Viv Richards cricket ground. My husband is a huge cricket fan, so this sold it for us. BEWARE. Cricket ground was closed and there was no "tour" included, and the sugar plantation was closed down years ago, so there really wasn't anything to look at apart from a few plaques and a piece of machinery.

Internet is expensive to use in the reception area. 50 cents a minute but ok if you just want to check emails. You can hire a mobile wifi unit for $10 per 24 hours (compatable with iPad as it doesn't use a USB port) however it is a continual 24 hour period unlike some hotels, where you pay for a time period and can dip in and out until the time runs out.

Staff will turn off air conditioning if you leave it on, which is understandable for cost/ecological reasons, but inconvenient if you want the room to be cool for an afternoon nap. I would suggest calling back to your room after it was been cleaned to put it back on if you intend to sleep during the day, as the fan isn't enough on its own.

For the first few days we didn't realise that desserts are available after lunch. The food is buffet style at lunchtime, but there are no desserts on display. The waiter will give you the options after you have finished.

If you have an insect problem, tell the staff and they will spray the room. They don't appear to offer this information to everyone, as some guests we spoke to weren't aware of this service. There is no charge for this and it saves you buying a spray.

Shirley Heights has a BBQ every Sunday, with a steel band from 4-7 and a live band from 7-10. This is a great night. $8 entrance fee per person, but taxi is expensive $80. The Virgin rep advised us to find another couple to share with, as it's half the price $40 per couple. Oddly, we shared with 2 other couples and were still charged $40 per couple, so although it was cheaper than going on your own, the $80 isn't split 3 ways if 3 couples share. ODD. Average cost of a burger, or chicken etc from BBQ is $11 per person, not cheap.

Room Tip: We were in room 38 at first but as there are a lot of trees around the decking area, the noise from...
1  Thank Orlusa
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was my first trip to the caribbean & one i shant forget. First impression on our sea view cottage was breathtaking. Rooms were always clean, food was top notch and the staff were lovely and couldnt do enough for us. My partner proposed to me and the staff went out of their way to make it special. We'll def be back on our first anniversary.only thing to get used to is Tree Frogs thought they were crickets noisy things but you do get used to them.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Djdonnamarie
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Beautiful and relaxing environment. The staff is extremely kind and makes an effort to have a personal relationship with its guests. Stunning views and tranquil cottages make this the ultimate place to have a getaway.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chelsea T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
9 mi away
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!