“Exceeded every possible expectation for our Honeymoon”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at Cocobay Resort. Let me start by saying that if you are looking for one of the mega party all inclusive resorts, Cocobay is not for you.  however if your looking for an intimate resort where you will be on a first name basis with the entire staff and will meet most of the other couples and families by the end of your stay then you are like us and Cocobay is what you are looking for.

Oneal Richards and his team "Team Cocobay" are the keepers of Paradise!  From the moment we arrived at Cocobay we were treated like we were the only guests at the resort.

The resort is more beautiful in person then the pictures you will see online. The resort is made up of individual cottages along the spectacular caribbean sea and are surrounded by lush plants, flowers and tropical foliage.  Our room had breathtaking panoramic views of the cove, distant islands, and the most incredible crystal clear blue water I have ever seen.

We stayed in a premium seafront cottage with a plunge pool.  The cottage was rustic but elegant with a large bathroom with his and her sinks. And a large shower.  True there is no shower curtain but we never experienced the problems some others have mentioned about having water all over the floor. The bed was extremely comfortable and rates as good if not better then what you would find at the best Marriott. We used the mosquito netting but we didn't need it. We never had anything other than a passing gecko or two or three in our room.  And they eat bugs so they did not bother us!   It is our own fault for the little visitors as we kept our French doors to the deck and pool open all the time we were enjoying our pool or getting dressed for dinner.  We loved the view so we kept the doors open!

We were really surprised with the outstanding menu selections. Breakfast was a hot and cold buffet with cooked to order eggs, pan cakes, bacon and sausage each morning. For lunch you had the option of a full buffet with entrees that changed daily or hot Panini's at the lower pool bar. Dinner was a four course menu that changed each night. We thoroughly enjoyed every meal. The chefs are extremely talented.

Oneal and his staff are full of surprises that will make you wonder why you ever would choose to vacation anywhere else.

The grounds, buildings, and all facilities were immaculate. "Team Cocobay" takes pride in everything they do and it really shows. Your comfort and pleasure is always in the forefront.

I travel extensively for business and have been spoiled by some of the best 5-star hotels across the world. So my expectations for a resort that advertises itself as the most romantic resort were really high. Kudos to team Cocobay led by Oneal Richards for over delivering on their promises!

This is true Paradise There is no detail that Oneal and his staff overlook.  We took a couple of excursions but couldn't wait to get back to enjoy all of the amenities of the resort.  As an IT manager for a global candy and consumer products company I am totally wired at all times and being connected is a way of life for me. But Liz and I locked our iPhones and iPads in the safe and spent our honeymoon disconnected from the world and immersed ourselves in the Cocobay way of life.

Our only regret is we only stayed one week!

Stayed: May 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,343)

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just returned from an amazing, week-long stay at Cocobay Resort. My husband and I traveled here with another couple, and we had a blast! This was our first all-inclusive experience, and we were not disappointed. We specifically sought to avoid the massive feel of larger resorts, and we got what we were looking for. Because of its size and its truly amazing staff, Cocobay offers a personal level of service impossible at large-scale resorts.

You do give up a few things in exchange, though. Alcohol quality is not great, though the special mixed drinks they make are amazing – be careful! The food at breakfast is fine, though the selection tends to be the same every day. Lunch is better, and it is nice to have the option of the buffet or sandwiches to take with you. The best food is, unsurprisingly, at dinner – 6 nights and I only had one disappointing meal! Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed all courses, though I think my favorites were the appetizers and the desserts. The biggest disappointment was the fish dishes – I expected better quality at an island resort.

The staff is truly what makes the place, and they are absolutely responsible for us having had a great of a time as we did. Friendly and entertaining, funny and gracious, they make you feel as if you are their only guests.

I like the individual cottage concept, and the fact that their architectural style blends with the environment, as opposed to being a massive multi story resort that sprouts out of nowhere. Hence the cottages, as others have mentioned, are not what some deem luxurious but more rustically elegant. I found the bed very comfortable, though the mosquito net was a little annoying (but necessary). My only complaint about our room was that the bathroom had no windows, and without a door or curtain and inadequate drainage, the bathroom ended up covered in water every time we took a shower.

These issues were minor, and would not prevent me from staying here again. In fact, if we do indeed go back to Antigua, I can’t imagine staying anywhere else!

3  Thank Sara09
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Due to food allergies it can be difficult for me to travel. I contacted the staff at Cocobay prior to booking our stay and they let me know very quickly that they would accommodate my dietary restrictions - and accommodate they did! The kitchen did not just remove items from my list of choices, they made sure that they had clean pans and utensils every breakfast for my eggs and they prepared lunch items for me prior to my arrival each day and made sure I knew exactly what I could and could not eat from the buffet. At night the servers were given a list of how each item menu could be changed to work with my diet AND they made me a few special deserts. I have not had desert in almost 20 YEARS! I cannot thank the entire staff enough for all that they did and I did not have a single allergic reaction - which is rare when I travel. There are so many staff members that I would like to thank but I will also leave too many out. Some of you I met, some I didn't even see face-to-face yet you all had my well being in mind.

The entire staff from cleaning, gardening, to front desk and management were wonderful. (And I live in a tourist community as well so I am a tough judge.)

Aside from that, our room was a seafront pool and I never thought the water was too cold - it was perfect. Our deck was private and sunny. The beach was well maintained and the water is the most gorgeous turquoise I have ever seen. I will gladly go back to Cocobay and highly recommend this resort.

As others have said, if you want marble staircases this may not be the location for you but if you like a quiet, private, friendly feel look no further.

Room Tip: We had Seafront Pool room #10. The deck was large and we could turn out chairs in any direction. O...
3  Thank 595Anonymous
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have recently returned from our eighth stay at Coco Bay. Over the years we have seen the hotel expand, update and refurbish. We have appreciated the refurbishments as they enhance what is,for us, the perfect holiday location. We love the situation of the hotel, the intimacy of the private cottages, the excellent food and beverages, the well-kept and pretty grounds, but most of all the friendly, helpful staff, many of whom we now regard as friends. We have travelled to many corners of the earth but will continue to come here. There is a choice of beautiful beach, swimming pool and restaurant. Even when the hotel is full, and it is rare that it isn't, you never feel that the facilities or staff are overstretched. We have visited most of the other hotels on the island and there is nothing to compare with this one. We are very much looking forward to our ninth visit next spring.

Room Tip: The very best rooms are the seafront cottages with AC, plunge pool and are right by the water's...
4  Thank RosandPeter
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Sometimes we worry that we may be somewhat unadventurous returning to Cocobay time and again, but within moments of our arrival we always know that we have made the right decision. We have travelled the world extensively, but the spectacular view and the welcome of the management and staff are, in our opinion, unparalleled. It would make more sense to have purchased a property on the island given our numerous visits, but I am not prepared to forego the warmth with which we are welcomed back. However many times we visit, the view out across the pools and ocean is breathtaking. If you are seeking white linen tablecloths, silver service and marble bathroom suites then Cocobay may not be for you - which is great news for those of us who adore it just the way it is! This is not 5 star luxury, but good old fashioned charm in one of the most spectacular settings imaginable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Corinne S
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Absolutely beautiful views from all aspects of the resort.
Sea view rooms are breath taking.
Pools and beach clean and again fantastic views
Staff VERY friendly and helpful
Breakfast is a buffett (cooked food, cereals, fruits, coissants/bagesl/toast)
Lunch is a buffett (changes everyday)
Dinner is a 3 course set menu (giving you 3 choices of starters and 3 choices of mains, have to pay a supplement if you want steak / lobster) good quality food.
Only downside is the bar closes at 10.45pm, entertainment is on 4 days out of 7 and again finishes at 10pm. Would have loved the entertainment to stay longer and bar stay open longer.
Very friendly intimate resort, got to know all staff and all couples staying there.

Room Tip: Sean view have wonderful views and are a little more private than garden view rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate H
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The best part of this place is the staff. They are genuinely beautiful people and really want you to enjoy yourself. We met wonderful people, the food is solidly good, the accommodations were exceptional. If you are looking for peace and quiet, you have it. A loving shout out to Tomeka and O'Neal who keep the place running beautifully and seamlessly. We will see you soon. Gwendolyn and Ilona Maine USA.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Coopee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
9 mi away
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!