“An awesome honeymoon experience!”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
“An awesome honeymoon experience!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

After much agonising over choosing a honeymoon destination we're so very happy we went for Cocobay! From being personally greeted by the manager on arrival right through to our all-too-soon departure the service from each and every staff member and the attention to the finest details was absolutely brilliant - it is evident early on that they know hospitality and do it very well!

With beautifully presented cottages (we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a sea-view cottage) and resort as a whole, great food, awesome staff, traditional evening entertainment...not to mention the beaches and jaw-droppingly beautiful Caribbean Sea we can't recommend Cocobay Resort and Antigua highly enough. Plus if you like wild-life (colourful birds and lizards everywhere!) this is most definitely the place for you.
We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
Brigantine, New Jersey
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had the pleasure of attending my son's wedding at Cocobay Resort in mid-March. The wedding experience provided by the resort/staff was beyond all expectations! The service and courtesy of the staff, the accomodations (I was given a significant room upgrade), the food and drink, the location and views were all above and beyond what I anticipated. I would recommend Cocobay Resort to anyone looking for a relaxing escape and especially as a destination wedding location. Everyone in our party had a wonderful time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, UK
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just got back from Cocobay after a wonderful week away with my wife to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. Before gettng back to reality makes my memory fuzzy, here's a run-through of my thoughts about our stay...

Location

Amazing. When I close my eyes I'm still there (a mean feat given that it's at least twenty degrees colder back here in Wales). The view over the bay is just increadible, and there is one beach right by the resort and two others within a few minutes walk. The colour of the sea and the white sand are stunning.

Room

We stayed in a seafront cottage with a plunge pool for the first week of our stay, then in a sea view cottage for the last night (BA changed our flights, giving us an extra day there - what a shame!) The seafront cottage was stunning, with the infinity-style pool looking right out over the bay. Comfy bed, simply but tastefully decorated and all you need for a great stay. The other room was slightly smaller with no pool, but still had AC and a nice hammock on the balcony.

I'll come back to this in more detail, but some of the (rare) negative comments from other reviewers suggest the cottages are 'shabby'. If you prefer the soulless rooms in certain big chain hotels, that's fair enough - I don't though. Our shower worked well and the room was airy and comfortable. And let's face it, who spends a lot of time inside in a place like this?!

All of the rooms are within an easy stroll of the reception and pools - two minutes max.

The rest of the resort

The two pools are both really nice - one overlooking the bay and the other right by the beach. Both have a bar next to them, and both have comfy sun loungers, with parasols available for shade. Both seem clean and well-maintained. Both are peaceful and relaxing places.

The other areas of the resort are all lovely - well-kept gardens and tasteful, Caribbean-style paths and communal areas. Again, not an inch of marble in sight, but as I said before, I you want something like that to convince yo of 'luxury', choose a big soulless chain all-inclusive.

Breakfast was buffet-style, with a chef doing eggs/omelettes etc and a mix of pancakes, bacon, fruit, pastries, bread, bagels and cereal. All very tasty and a good selection. Lunch was a similar deal - lots of buffet items including salads, plus usually two or three hot items with rice such as fish, chicken or meat and then another item from the grilling area. Alternatively, you could have a sandwich from the beach bar for lunch if you can't pull yourself away from the pool.

Dinner was a four course a la carte-style thing. Four choices of starters - a fish dish, a meat dish, a veg dish or a pasta dish, or scallops for a supplement. An intermediate course of pasta or soup is then followed by the main course - again, usually a fish dish, meat dish, veg dish or pasta, or beef, lobster or prawns for a supplement. Then a choice of four or five desserts.

I had some amazing fish in particular, and the pasta was always great. I never felt the need to have a dish that incurred a supplement. The quantity of food was just right too, as was the pace at which it was served. You can book your time slot for dinner at caption each morning, although it's all fairly relaxed - as long as you don't feel you absolutely have to eat at the same time each day, there's no need to screech down to reception at the crack of dawn. Relax people, you're on holiday.

I've seen some comments complaining about the lack of 24-hour food, but again, if stuffing your face 24 hours a day is your priority, try somewhere else. Personally, that mentality has previously put me off all-inclusives, but a Cocobay I never thought 'I'm paying for that greedy sod to eat his way through a ton of food a day'.

We never went short of food, never got bored of it and never felt the urge to eat anywhere else.

Drink

Lovely cocktails, a selection of spirits, decent beer and wine or champagne by the glass, all free of charge. You could pay for bottles of stuff, but I never got why anyone would want to do that.

Nightlife

If you want somewhere with ten different bars with a range of brash and screechy entertainment, this is not the place for you. If, however, you like the idea of a few drinks with a local band playing, you'll love it. I struggled staying up much past ten in any case - all that sunning yourself is tough work.

Service/staff

Lovely, unintrusive and unpretentious. Again, some may prefer more pretence of luxury or pushy service, but I prefer to relax on holiday.

Sports/entertainment

Snorkelling, sailing boats and kayaks available, and I had some lovely morning runs around the area. I think there's also yoga and stuff available. Larger resorts may have more organised sports stuff and facilities like a gym, but who wants a treadmill when you can run along a beach? I'd also recommend the 'medicine man' walk - a very interesting look at local plants, wildlife and culture.

Safety

The safest place I've ever been to in the Carribean. I wasn't pestered, never felt threatened and wasn't offered drugs once. And I don't think that was just because I'm starting to look older and boring.

Places to go and see

We went on the Wadaldi Cat circumnavigation, which was good fun, including good snorkelling. I also gave us a chance to look a some other bays and resorts. I still thought Cocobay looked nicest! Shirley Heights is nice for the view. We also went on a day trip to Monserrat, as I've always wanted to go there after watching the volcanic eruption footage in the nineties. The tour itself was nice, but beware that if you go by boat, you have to put up with four sets of immigration controls - leaving Antigua, entering Monserrat, leaving Monserrat and then re-entering Antigua. That added up to over 4 hours of queuing and a stupid amount of forms. We were on a day trip people - you'd have thought they'd want to encourage people to visit Monserrat, not pu them off. I'd recommend paying the extra for the helicopter if you can.

Conclusion

Look, there's a common theme here. I like staying in small, friendly places, and have been put off all-inclusives before now for that reason. Cocobay combines quality with the warmth and soul that only a relatively small place can offer. You don't get the pretence and plastic that some people mistake for luxury (in my opinion), but that's not the kind of place this is. Big chains offer that, and there's a few of them elsewhere in Antigua, so if that's your bag, I'd look up the coast in Dickenson Bay. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else. We had a great time - thank you Cocobay!

Room Tip: Seafront cottages with lunge pools are stunning. All rooms within easy reach of facilities.
15 Thank Antgooner
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just returned from our honeymoon at the Cocobay Resort... I wish we were still there. Getting to Cocobay was easy, just jumping in one of the taxis from the stand at the airport, $30 US with tip and a little bumpy 30-45 minute ride until seeing the crystal clear water surrounding the resort.
Upon check in, we were greeted with some rum punch and cold towels and personally greeted by the manager, O'Neil. He was and still is the man. We received an upgrade upon arrival to a seaside cottage with a plunge pool which still makes me smile when I think back to being in it those first couple of days.
After checking in, we proceeded to the dining area for our first of many amazing meals. For lunch, there was always some sort of seafood being grilled and plenty of side orders and salads to please anyone. Dinners are pre-booked and we usually secured our time slot when we made our way everyday for breakfast. Breakfasts included fresh fruit, salad and an amazing chef (Sonia) creating omelettes and pancakes. Dinner usually included a choice of 2/3 appetizers, soup, and 3/4 entrees for dinner as well as additional charge entrees like fresh lobster. EVERY SINGLE MEAL WAS PERFECT. It was easy to pig out on the food but by the 3rd/4th day, we began to pace ourselves because we knew how well we were eating and how delicious the food was.
The grounds are manicured every day and all day. There were lizards and rare birds everywhere which only added to the beauty of the resort. At night, the sound of frogs chirping and crashing waves sent us off the sleep. The two of us are both school teachers and we have not had the quality of sleep that we had at Cocobay in such a long time, if ever.
The entire staff takes care of you and really take the effort in making sure your needs are met. Robert by the poolside bar and towels was extremely gracious and friendly. The 3 beaches surrounding the resort are all amazing in their own way. The main beach beside the resort is somewhat rocky but the other two are worth the quick walk.
Take advantage of the excursions but book them through the hotel. We took a day trip to St. Johns and found it to be perfect day trip to do a little shopping. I wish we had planned a little better to the stingray island tour or zip-lining tour but I can't complain with staying at the resort for most of our honeymoon.
I couldn't recommend this resort enough. It was absolute bliss for the both of us and we are already talking about making plans to return in a couple of years as an anniversary. We loved the fact that it strictly an adult atmosphere with other like minded couples looking for a place to get away from everything while being pampered. This resort is a perfect honeymoon destination.

Reggio Emilia, Italy
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had great time at Cocobay Resort, the beach and the resort are great. Staff is nice. The beaches are always tranquil. The room are always clean. This is the best place to relax and enjoy one of the best place in Caraibi.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent food, great service, and wonderful beaches/pools. We enjoyed everything about our trip. My only recommendation would be to bring a little bug spray for the sand flies/fleas.

The resort, grounds, and room were all well kept. Every staff member made us feel welcome and was attentive.

We would love to return one day.

1 Thank MKW323
Taunton UK
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our second time at Cocobay, it was up to the same high standards - food/service/gardens/cleanliness etc as before. The rooms were the same, some may say basic, i would say rustic and charming.
The new pool area was a welcome surprise, as previously the original pool area would get busy.
If you want a holiday of sheer relaxation this is a good choice. If you want more than that perhaps you should look at a bigger resort.
The number of returning guests says it all about this place.
There are many more positives but they have been mentioned in the long list of good reviews here, so i wont repeat.

Negatives -
From talking at the bar it would seem the American guests get a better deal than us Brits, such as champagne flowers in your room, as well as the extra cost meals free of charge. We didn't let it bother us but some were dismayed.
We went for our anniversary advising the manager and other staff of this fact, but to our surprise the day went by unnoticed, especially as we got married at Cocobay on our last trip!! We were not after freebies but an acknowledgment would of been good. A little disappointing. Maybe a result of the $ being more attractive than the £, who knows??
If you think it is a child free resort think again. There were several families present, i would estimate the youngest child being 8-9years old. They were well behaved and didn't cause us a problem- however when it is advertised as child free by UK travel companies i guess you want it to be just that.

We had a great time and will no doubt return again.

1 Thank Lippers73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!