“Magical Romantic Honeymoon in Paradise!”
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Burlington, Connecticut
“Magical Romantic Honeymoon in Paradise!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Cocobay Resort is just as beautiful in-person as it is in all the website photos. We enjoyed an amazing one-week honeymoon here and everything was perfect. I could not have asked for anything better!

***One note: Book directly with the resort (and not through a travel agent) to enjoy extra amenities.

We were upgraded to one of the newly renovated suites (Wattle and Daub) for our first few nights. We were welcomed to a chilled bottle of champagne, a private plunge pool that overlooks the sea, a chaise lounge on our deck, a clawfoot tub, indoor/outdoor shower, and an immaculate room with a comfy sofa and his and hers sinks in the bathroom. This suite has incredible views and was so comfortable we didn't want to leave!

Our second room was seaview cottage #5, which was also lovely. We enjoyed the private plunge pool, indoor/outdoor shower, and his and hers sinks there too. Beds were super comfy, and the view was also amazing. I really got used to waking up to the turquoise color of the water and palm trees swaying in the breeze.

The food was excellent. Breakfast is a buffet that includes fruit, veggies, cold cuts, cereal, breads, pastries, bacon/sausage, pancakes, and an omelette bar. The only thing that could improve it would be a coffee/tea station, as you have to wait for staff to serve coffee or tea. (Tea is just lipton so if want herbal/green there are limited options.) Lunch is also a buffet with fresh grilled fish or kebabs, a hot dish, pasta dish, selection of salads, and soup. They offer a choice of desserts as well. Dinner is a la carte with a choice of appetizer, soup, main course, and dessert (except for buffet night on Thursdays with the manager's reception) and the food was akin to fine dining. Depending on your package, there may be an extra charge for some specialties (lobster etc.) The spiny lobster with lime/butter sauce was one of my favorites! The bar opens at 10am and drinks are free! This was my first experience at an all-inclusive resort, and I was greatly impressed with the quality of the food and service.

The staff were all friendly and did everything they could to make our experience as comfortable as possible. The two staff members I will mention are O'Neil (the manager) who even called the airport duty free shop to reserve some bottles of rum for us, and Robert (the lower pool/beach bartender.) Robert comes to the beach to take orders and promptly delivers drinks with a truly sunny disposition. I missed him on his day off!

There are TONS of activities that you can do if you want. However, you can also choose to do nothing but relax, which is pretty much what we did. We did go horseback riding and jetskiing, which we really enjoyed. Cocobay has two pools, the beach, and also a spa. They also run a shuttle to Saint John's as well, although we never left the resort.

If I had to list something negative,it would be that sometimes the staff do not heed the "do not disturb" sign. Also, be aware that once you are on the beach the competition for your tourist dollars is fierce! If you book with one person and provide a deposit, make sure you speak to the same person about your booking and/or when you provide the rest of the money. The Cocobay Resort does not work with these folks, and there can be some confusion/misleading about reservations for activities. A fellow guest ended up in an argument with these beach vendors because one misrepresented working for another.

On our last night, we returned after dinner to a room that was covered in flower petals with lighted candles. If you are looking for a romantic getaway this is the place to go! I recommend this resort in the highest possible terms, and I personally cannot wait to return myself. If you are looking to visit a tropical paradise, then look no further.

Room Tip: Seaview and seafront room have great views! I highly recommend getting a room with a private plunge...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 13Narya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed at Cocobay in August for our honeymoon and we absolutely loved it!!! The positives were as follows:
- Fantastic location with superb view (I have never scene views so incredible!!)
- I have never met hotel staff who were so friendly, down to earth and willing to help you as much as possible! Our favourite hotel staff member was Saskia, i enjoyed my many conversations with her and i always had a laugh! She was definitely one if the highlights of or honeymoon and we even got a couple if photos with her! Im sure she will have her own talk show soon! : P However all of the hotel staff were fabulous and really made our honeymoon! One of the hotel staff members, i believe his name was Kerry even got my husband a coconut after he was miserably disappointed (bless him) when he had opened his very own coconut that he found floating in the sea and it had gone bad. I think he made my husband's day lol. O and we must praise Sonja the pancake lady who cooked us up some fantastic pancakes every morning!
- Seafront cottage (you could hear the sea as you woke up in the mornings-just lovely!). The hotel staff also kept our room looking lovely and beautiful!
- The champagne in the ice bucket that we were given on our arrival as it was our honeymoon!
- Plunge pool (amazing!)
- Stunning beaches which were quiet and you could always find a sunbed! The beaches were also extremely clean and hotel staff would even bring you drinks!
- The food was fantastic and i loved the ice-cream especially that peanut ice-cream which i think i asked for nearly everyday lol!
- All inclusive bar drinks-the rum cocktail as to be the best but most strongest cocktail i have ever drunk! woohoo!
- The infinity pool was amazing and the photographs taken looked incredible!
- The watersports which were included in our stay- my husband and I enjoyed going out on the canoe around the island!
- The fantastic party the local people have on a sunday- you cant beat a good bit of the caribbean culture!
- The caribbean music entertainment (steel drums!) in the evening by the cocktail bar!
- We loved the trips which we embarked on- the caribbean safari and the boat party!
- I had never been somewhere and felt to relaxed, it was the holiday and honeymoon of a lifetime!
- I would just like to add that i have read some reviews moaning that there wasn't a t.v in their room but who needs a t.v when you are in the caribbean and surrounded by stunning views! We had a t.v but didn't use it once!! To be honest i think the t.v spoils the beauty of the caribbean cottage and would be more than happy if there wasn't any mod cons in the room! Also to those reviews moaning about the weather-the resort cannot help that!! We had fantastic weather and even if we didn't we wouldn't blame the hotel lol.

The only negative was the hotel toilets by the bar, however our cottage toilet was not a problem at all. Although they were very clean on presentation there was a smell coming from the toilets which was probably due to the extremely hot weather. However if this could be sorted then the hotel would be 100% perfect.

To sum our honeymoon up would be to say it was a honeymoon of a lifetime!!! We've got some fantastic memories and photographs! I dont think we could have had a fantastic honeymoon spent anywhere else other than cocobay! It was incredible and i cannot wait to return with my husband!! I loved the caribbean and Antigua and would recommend it to anyone!

Regards,
MR and Mrs C

Room Tip: I would definitely have air con! I dont think i could have coped without it, especially as im not ve...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 205maisie
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Cocobay Resort is located on a tranquil and magnificent stretch of coastal land with stunning views of the Caribbean Sea. We've never seen water so blue. The staff was warm, friendly, attentive, and demonstrated a gracious hospitality that compels us to return. Cocobary provided the perfect venue for our dream wedding and exceeded all of our expectations.

Room Tip: TIP: Bring earplugs for the cacophony of frogs at night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl C
atlanta
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Ok, so we actually went via plane, and it took more like 4 hours than 3 days, but I could not resist this line from one of my very favorite Jimmy Buffett songs! For our 7th wedding anniversary this April, my husband and I spent a week on the Caribbean island of Antigua, a sandy paradise dusted with more than a touch of British influence.

We spent 3 nights at Cocobay Resort and 4 at Galley Bay, two fairly different properties, but each of which has its own special qualities. We enjoyed our time at both resorts, though Galley Bay is far and away more luxurious overall and the only one of the two I would recommend to almost anyone without hesitation.

Check-in at Cocobay was a bit slow, but the front desk service was very friendly, and when we mentioned that it was out anniversary, they arranged for a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice to be sent to our room. We stayed in Loblolly Cay, one of the resort's Seafront Cottages. Most of the cottages are detached units, but Loblolly does share a high bamboo fence with another unit. However, we still thought it was the best location on property, and would have been our first choice if we'd had every cottage to choose from!

The interiors of the cottages are pretty simple, but comfortable and clean and certainly adequate considering how little time most people actually spend inside the room. Because why would you spend a minute more than necessary indoors when you can be outside enjoying this!?...

For photos and full review, please visit: http://travelprincessatl.blogspot.com/2011/09/sailed-off-to-antigua-it-took-her-3.html

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went in November 2012 for my friend's wedding. CocoBay is located in a beatiful spot with fantastic views over the bay. We saw some amazing susnsets. After some intial problems with the room and it's location, we upgraded and got air con. You will need this! The pool bar service isn's as friendly as we would have liked but the restaurant and reception staff were lovely.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Sorry so long, but worth the read!
I want to say first and foremost, the reason we chose this hotel/resort over many other places we checked out were the outstanding reviews it received by its guest, right here on trip advisor.We spent months searching for the perfect relaxing resort in the Caribbean with romantic views, and great experience. We have to say the reviews definitely lived up to their reputation. This was our first time traveling to Antigua, and i will admit we were a little nervous booking our honeymoon somewhere we had never visited before but after spending weeks reading the reviews and thumbing through the pictures, everything everyone said was completely accurate.
The resort is beautiful, the views were incrediable, the service far exceeded our expectations and the food was fantastic. Def. worth your money and vacation time AMAZING!!!
We visited Cocobay resort back in July 20-August 5th 2012 for our honeymoon. We were looking for a resort that would be fun, but super relaxing with great views. This resort incorporated all of that. The atmosphere is definitely relaxing, on arrival we were met with drinks and cold towels great first impression. They took care of all our needs, signed us up for dinner and quickly rushed us to our cabin. We stayed oceanfront with a plunge pool, and we highly recommend those accommodations. The views were great, the a.c. was perfect for humid days and the private pool was so nice to relax in with my husband at any hour. We loved how the bathroom opened up to the water, it was like having an outdoor shower in the Caribbean which was perfect. It even rained a few afternoons (which apparently is normally down there during August) but that never spoiled a thing.
The resort employees could not have been any more pleasant and accommodating. Cocobay is a small resort and has the ability to have extremely personal service. We missed lunch one day and they brought us snacks to our cabin before dinner as well as drinks. O'Neil the hotel manager was a true gentleman and made a point of making sure everything was taken care of, it impressed me most that he seemed to know every guest by name as well, as the Asst. manager, very impressive. The other employees from the bar tenders, to the waiter staff, to the front desk were so polite and professional. We honestly can't say enough about the staff, they were perfect and we have traveled a great deal and very rarely receive such personal professional service.
The food was great, breakfast & lunch were served buffet style which was nice, tea in the afternoon and dinner you had a menu with many different dishes to choose from. I do wish they had a larger variety, however we always were able to find something on the menu we liked; my husband is a very very picky eater so i was pleased by the choices, something for everyone. It was familiar items, with local flare. One of our favorite dishes were the Coconut Shrimp (best we've ever had) & beef tenderlion. We also recommend the dinner for two on the beach, it was super romantic and food was great.
As for the activities, they had a kayak, windsail & snorkeling equipment for things to do that were free at the resort. I know not alot, but the focus is definitely to relax and enjoy the atmosphere which is exactly why we chose this place and it lived up to that expectation with flying colors. They also had two infinitely pools, both with bars feet away, and they are never crowded and great thatched umbrella's on the beach. We had a couples message in a cabin next to the beach which was great, and for other activities we took a tour and did some shopping at St. John's Bay as well as a Zip Line experience in the rainforest. All our activities we booked right at the front desk they took care of everything, we just meet our ride out front. We also recommend the rainforest zip line activities they were alot of fun, and we got a neat jeep tour of the atlantic side of the island on our way to the rainforest.
The only things we found to be Con's of this resort (& i understand not everyone feels the same way about these items)
-lots of bugs, we were there when it was incredibly humid and rainy. purchasing spray down there for dinner or doing activities is a MUST, first night we got eaten alive. We also saw alot of spiders, and i just hate them so that was yuk :-/
-WI-FI cost a pretty penny (60 usd) on top of the hotel expense which we found annoying
- it's not an activities resort, very few things (ON THE RESORT) for active couples, you'll have to travel off the resort for that which isn't terrible, but costly.
-All beaches in Antigua are public, so there are local vendors on the beach, which wasn't a problem, they were very nice but sometimes annoying.
-the bar closed at 11pm, and the bands rapped up around 9pm would have liked them to go longer
-more storage in the cabin's for hanging clothes would be nice (our only issue all week was on our third day we noticed a line of ants into our suitcases, they were everywhere but that is to be expected, it was just annoying. We emptied our bags and sprayed them with bug spray and never had another issue, i just wish the inside of the cabins were not so buggy

Aside from all that, overall this resort honestly is worth the money, it was very friendly, great food and a paradise-like atmosphere. The views were like stuff you see in magazines. We loved every aspect of our vacation and are counting down the days till we can return. The resort was completely booked, yet we hardly saw any guest except during meals, it was soooo super QUIET & RELAXING !!! It was the perfect honeymoon because we totally just focused on each other. It definitely has that quant rustic Caribbean charm with beautiful turquoise waters. It is an all-inclusive resort and they are exactly that, you don't need to worry about a thing, they take care of it all for you. It is truly a gem in the Carribean and we would go back a 100 times if we had the money :-) The experience was so pleasant and relaxing.

Room Tip: The best rooms, are the ones that are oceanfront. The views are fantastic. The rooms with a plunge p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jennifer c
Uk
Reviewed December 8, 2012

As we visited this hotel on the second leg of our journey I'm afraid I cannot help but compare it to the first hotel, which may be a little unfair but please read my review and you'll understand why.

We arrived after a short flight from St Lucia where we spent our first week. The reception staff seemed a little surprised when we arrived and even the Virgin rep thought we were checking out! We were told that our room wasn't ready (we were staying in one of the seafront cottages - No. 9). The girl behind reception explained that we could leave our suitcases and go and have a swim whilst our room was being prepared which we did not want to do. As we had been up early to catch the flight to Antigua we missed breakfast so I asked if we could something to eat and the hotel manager said if we hurried we may be able to catch breakfast. We were not greeted with a cool towel or a drink and were kind of left to our own devices until our room was ready. This was not the sort of greeting I expected after reading the reviews on this hotel. We caught breakfast and then hung around the bar and reception area until our room was ready. We had no orientation of the hotel so had to work our for ourselves where everything was and how it worked.

I cannot disagree with the comments about the views. They are spectacular. The cottage itself however didn't live up to my expectations. Each day I discovered something not quite right about the cottage. The bathroom door didn't shut - you have to wedge the bin behind it. The shutters were broken on one side of the patio doors. The water didn't drain away from one of the sinks as the waste water pop up was broken. One morning I used one of the dressing gowns until my partner pointed out that it had some dubious stains on the back which I quickly removed and handed to the guy who collects the dirty towels. I was led to believe this cottage would be private but you are overlooked by cottages number 7 and 8.
One night after dinner I asked for some water to take back to the room and we were told we had to pay for it??!! I booked this as an all inclusive break - surely water is one of the basic necessities to have in a room when you are visiting a hot country?
I understand that if you booked the room directly with the hotel you got a mini bar included in the room but if you didn't then you went without. Surely my money is a good as anyone elses especially when I am paying these kind of prices. Wifi is not included in these prices. US15 for 24 hours or US60 for 1 week and then we noticed other guests commenting that the connection wasn't that good.
The breakfast buffet is quite limited. There is a four course meal in the evening which you have to book your time slot for in the morning. There are 3 or 4 free choices on the menu for starters and the main but the others that are listed you have to pay extra for (around US$24.95 for a main meal such as steak). I understand though that they are building a pizzeria down by the pool bar where you don't have to dress up but I don't know when and if this will happen.
The 2 pools are lovely and have great views and there is plenty of seating area and sunbeds to choose from.
The grounds are sprayed a couple of times with some sort of bug treatment which doesn't smell good but I guess cannot be harmful to humans otherwise they wouldn't do it.
The staff are lovely but we would like to mention a few by name - Kenroy, Kerry and Vincia were very friendly and helpful.
If you need to get a taxi anywhere you could give Benji a call on 784 3052 or e-mail in advance on boskittra@hotmail.com. He was very helpful and knowledgeable.
The catamaran (The Excellence) trip was great where you circumnavigate the island and have as much free rum punch as you want - but be careful - it is potent!!
It can be easy to overlook the shortcomings of this hotel due to the location and stunning views which are second to none.
Would we return to this hotel? No.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GoodAunty
CocobayGM, General Manager at Cocobay Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing a review of your recent Cocobay experience. We are truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our utmost priority has always been personal guest satisfaction but somehow we seemed to have disappointed you. Your constructive criticisms are crucial to our quest for total guest satisfaction.

We however hope that you would reconsider and plan to visit us again sometime in the future.

Respectfully,

O'Neal
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!