“Honeymoon from Heaven :-)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cocobay Resort

Cocobay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon from Heaven :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

WOW - From the moment we walked through the door to our welcome cocktail and cold flannels we knew we were in paradise, This place is truly amazing. The staff make this place what it is - they are all so happy and friendly and go out of their way to make you feel special and truly looked after. Nothing at all was too much trouble.
The entertainment was great, the food great and a great selection on both food and drinks.
We had a seaview pool cottage with a private plunge pool and although we didnt use the plunge pool as it was dec and altough hot the pool was a tad cold but the room was AMAZING - The views are amazing and waking up to the waves and birds everymorning was bliss.
There is loads to do on the island if you want which the staff at cocobay are more than happy to help organise or u can just lay back and do nothing which is what we did on more than one occassion as with 4 beaches to choose from you can usually find one that is secluded - at one point me and my husband were the only ones on the beach together ( until Mr georgio armani turned up ) ha ha
Without a shadow of a doubt we will be returning to cocobay.

Room Tip: we had the most amazing room - room 13 private plunge pool cottage but has extra balcony space and a...
1 Thank TheGrantys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
Morgan Mill, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

Cocobay and Its staff are so welcoming. Loved the seaside Cottage. Beautiful sunsets and beaches and people. Our wedding was planned for us on the beach. We did not have to do a thing except get dressed and show up. We made lots of new friends from all over the world and from Antigua. Memories ever lasting and we plan to return again. We were there for 7 Nights and it waas not long enough. Call Manuella for reservations and Tamika for wedding plans. Great Service. The service in the restaurant and bar in awesome. Felt like family.

Room Tip: Seaside cottage with plunge pool and a/c. Can be humid most days.
6 Thank Lisa R
Harjumaa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

This is our second trip to Antigua in year 2011. First was in April to Coconut hotel (very nice) and in December we were in Cocobay resort.
Antigua is a fantasic holiday place : very friendly people , fantasic beachis.
Cocobay have a very nice location . The management was excellent . Staff was very helpful and friendly , only one young man who works in restorant , must learn how work with clients.
Rooms was very clean , food fine .We had a seaview cottage and we don`t need air-con.
The beach boy was very nice , brought from bar coctails, bear , water.
We had a very nice holiday in Cocobay resort.

4 Thank Lemps
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I am just getting to my review of this resort because we are looking at scheduling another vacation here and we just got home 6 months ago!

This resort was perfect for us. It wasn't too stuffy or too elegant or your typical caribbean high rise hotel with all inclusive cheap food and advertising everywhere. This resort was unique, rustically elegant, and had the most friendly accomodating staff my husband and I have ever experienced on a vacation.

We had an isse with our room where I reserved a seaview cottage with air conditioning. We arrived and that is not what we got but we politely discussed the issue with the receptionist and manager and they were more than accomodating to adjust the rooms for us. They even transported all of our luggage to our new room. The turnaround time was fabulous and was only one day.

My husband is a picky eater and he thought the food was great as did I. There was plenty of variety and like I said previously, I have experenced worse food at all inclusive resorts. My husband's only complaint (only because he eats a lot for a small human being) is he was not a fan of the small portions at dinner. I loved it, as it was just enough food. If you are an extremely picky eater who does not like to try new things, the food may not be for you as some of the food was not, shall I say, traditional. We did not go out to eat at any local establishments, rather we purcahsed the lobster at Cocobay which I still think was my favorite part of the trip ha! it was the biggest lobster I have ever seen and was absolutely phenomenal.

The beaches were fabulous and the location of the resort was great in terms of views and seclusion. If you're looking for action and things to do nearby, this resort may not be for you. We did some hiking around the resort and we also arranged a Taxi with Benji to take us to Boggy peak so we could hike up to the top and back down. Truthfully, my husband is more of the outdoors man and we got up real early to go hike up ths mountain before it got too hot... it was a great experience, great workout, and great views. It also was a great opportuinity to see the Antiguan farms and of course, mango trees.

If you're looking to get out, my recommendation would be to spend the money on excursions like the Safari Tour to go see Devils Bridge, Shirley Hieghts on Sunday night, and the Catamaran Trip to Barbuda for the day. Both things we will never forget.

As for sand flies (or mosquitos as some refer to them as)... you are in the caribbean. It's wet, humid, and hot... you're going to have bugs. If you don't like bugs, then don't go to the caribbean in general because there are sand flies no matter what island you go to. My husband and I didn't get bit up once. A trick of mine is a buy the off spray in a small pump bottle that fits in a small purse (it has a cap that looks like a pen cap) and if I felt like I was getting bit I just took it out and sprayed my feet. But overally Cocobay fogged probably 3 to 4 times while we visited and we experience little to no issues but again, you cannot judge a resort or a caribbean island based on sand flies... they are always there no matter where you go.

If i had to say one thing about the resort that I didn't like, it would be that we could have used a little more entertainment in the evenings. They had a live band one or two nights which was real fun but other nights it was very quiet. We didn't go to party but it would have been nice to see the steel drum band a few more nights while we were there. And, because we like to stay up a little later, it would have been nice if they bar would have stayed open a little longer than 11:00pm But then again, after dinner we were so tired from the day we were not opposed to going to bed.

Overall I fell in love with Antigua, this resort and the people at the resort and on the island. We are looking to schedule a vacation to go back at the end of 2012 and can't imagine staying anywhere else. We miss Sonja's freshly made omlets in the morning (which I still cannot figure out how she makes them so well) and Jermaine our daily waiter who is so full of life, and Oriel who makes by far the best Blue Antiguan cocktail ever! Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you book a room with air conditioning be sure to call a couple days after your booking to ensure...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Celle, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was our first trip to Antigua and the Caribbean! And without a shadow of a doubt it was the most perfect place in the world, and I have told family and friends a like, we found our own slice of heaven their!
O'Neal greeted us on arrival, which made us feel wonderful and that feeling never left us once while we were there!
Our seaview room was delightful, opening the bathroom door and looking over the beach and sea was breathtaking!
Food was always wonderful, however my husband struggled on one or two occasions and that was only because he does not eat fish and spicey food, and doesnt really like pasta, that said, they chefs offered to plain cook chicken or anything else on the menu so long as he told them early enough. Nothing was ever too much trouble.
The staff were out of this world, and so many other hotels and resorts we have been to could learn a few lessons, I would like to mention a few people as they had the biggest impact on our holiday, but without exception all the staff were great, a mention to, O'Neal, Mellissa, Phylliss(concierge staff), Kerry, Jermaine, Craig (waiters), Oriel (barman), Robert (our Beach man) and the lovely Judy (cleaner), all of these people made a huge contribution to our holiday, as did all the staff, but we interacted more with these.
The beaches were wonderful and although we are not normally beach lovers we spent the 2nd week camped out on the beach and just loved it.
The Pool although small was more than adequate, and the second pool was just being completed when we left, so we cant wait to go back and try it out!
I was lucky enough to have some treatments in the wellness centre and my word they were lovely, well worth it!
This Resort without question does what it says on the tin, no its not a Sandals resort with 5 restaurants and 500 guests, it is a small, intimate, private place and to be honest it was absolutley Perfect for what we wanted, it surpassed my expectations tenfold, and my husband and I would not hesitate to go back in a heart beat, and do plan to go back!
Neil & Sylvia Morgan

Room Tip: We had room 39 which was about a short walk from reception, but had the most fantastic views!
8 Thank 5lfc
wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

First and foremost, this hotel is in a fantastic location- must have one of the most scenic views in antigua (if not the whole carribean).......the beach is lovely too, really nice. The hotel itself has many plus points; 1) nice restaurant-and a la carte 6 nights a week! 2) rooms clean, no problem, rooms have character 2) bar and lounge sound 3) pool lovely but small ish (but they have just built a 2nd small pool) so 2 is fine 4) staff friendly and helpful- our fave is the bonkers waiter, Mr Gore- completely crackers but lovely! The only downsides were that the air con is a bit of a rip off and quite a lot of moscuittos (but we were told it was more of a problem due to unusually wet weather).........if the air con was cheaper this place would have been near perfect

Room Tip: save up and make sure you get air con! some of the plunge pool rooms looked a bit dingy- not as...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank danbertNobacon
Geneva, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at the fabulous resort. From the moment we got there we were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff members and beautiful accommodations. The seaview cottage had an amazing view and was located close to the beach and the common areas. While there we enjoyed our private patio and dipping pool as well as the resorts kayaks and tours. I would highly recommend going to this resort. It was our first time in Antigua and we cannot wait to come back.

Room Tip: I would recommend paying for the private dipping pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ewa b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,604 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!