“Loved It!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Montclair, New Jersey
“Loved It!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

We traveled to Antigua for Christmas and loved this hotel!
Pros:
kitchens
right on the beach
free water sports (sailing boats, kayaks, windsurfing)
supermarket, pharmacy, gift shops are within walking distance
the beach is superb
free laundry
game room
Cons:
1BR is a tad small for 3 people and there is no TV in the living room
mosquitoes
AC can be noisy at night

I would like to stress that the stuff and care you'll get is absolutely beyond expectations! They will help you with anything: dish detergent, extra pillows, blankets, etc.
Most importantly, Felmina Davis helped me when my flight home was canceled and I had to find a place to stay for three days during Christmas week! Not only she found me a nice room, but also offered it at a discounted rate. My family and I had a wonderful holiday. But it could have been a total disaster without Felmina's help. I am looking forward to visiting Tranquility Bay again!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank vnayer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

We loved Tranquility Bay resort at Jolly Beach. We thank Felmina for making all the wedding plans run smooth. We couldn't ask for a better wedding. The staff is very professional and caring. The resort offers many complimentry activities on the beach. The Resort location is a short walk from shops, restaurants, supermarket and banks. You can also eat at several restaurants on property. We found the people of Antigua throught the island to be very nice. You can pay with US money at many restaurants. We recommend Cheers and Sugar Ridge for the view and good food. Sherly Hights is a must see on Sundays. We also reommend the following events: Zipping at the rain forest, snorking at cades reef, scuba, horse back riding, stingray city and a boat tour.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Tranquility bay from November 27th to December 4th. We stayed in a two bedroom suite.

Rooms: A-

The room was great! The only complaint I have about the room is that the air conditioner in the master bedroom sounded like a hurricane outside! I woke up nearly every night thinking we were in the middle of a nasty storm!! The televisions are 13inch tube televisions which at times lacked sound. However, it was very up to date otherwise and the maid service was excellent.

Beach:A+

One of the nicest beaches i have ever set foot on. Beautiful white sand, calm clear water, and absolute beautiful scenery. You can see Montserrat very clearly from the beach.
Only complaint would be the COFFEE BARRON!!! Every single day after breakfast, a hobo looking man sat on my beach chair and asked me to get him coffee. After i declined him he then would ask my wife to get him coffee!!! Hence i named him the Coffee Barron...lol. Also, the vendors on the beach are relentless but show me an Island where they aren't.

Food: C
This is the only part of the resort that lacks. We are a little picky when it comes to food but not overlly picky. There are 4 restaurants: Lydias (seafood), Bocciolos (italian), and Utsav (indian) and Hemispheres (breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets)
Lydias is good. Food is okay. The menu does not change and its worth going to more than once,
Bocciolos is less than good but not bad. Its not American Italian so no chicken parm or penne vodka. They have crap pizza, and other not so appetizing stuff. I paid extra to get the lobster cause nothing else seemed in the least appealing.

Utsav was absolutely wonderful. Without this place the vacation was sinking fast. It saved the honeymoon. Its an Indian place which made me apprehensive but its not very overpowering.

Word of advise. Make reservations before you get to the resort. Only 1 or 2 of the restaurants are open at once and for the first 2 nights we couldn't get a reservation!

The buffet at Hemispheres is aweful no matter when you go! Dirty birds eat off of all the tables and the food overall just sucks. they put zero effort into the menus there. I watched a bird drinking milk out of a milk server and then people used it for their coffee.

Pool grill: Horrible! I ate grilled cheese for 7 days because the hamburgers are inedible. However, the British people found the burgers to be fine. I dont know how. that meat wouldn't make it into a McDonalds in the states!

Best food came from outside the resort!!!
Castaways next door was great!!!! And Carmichaels at Sugar Ridge was one of the best places ive ever eaten!!!! Go there!!

Staff at Jolly Beach Staff: C

This is with exception of the bartenders...they get an A. They were great and very nice to talk too. However, the wait staff is completly incompitent. If you ask a question about a dish on the menu they look at you like your growing an extra limb out of your face.

Misc: The grocery store is nice and decently priced. The duty free shopping is also good. Take their shuttle to Heritage Quay. Dont ever expect to get change back in American currency. I have a wallet of "silly money".

Think long and hard about buying the meal plan!!! It might not be worth it if you are a picky eater.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nicole_mal
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

Tranquility Bay was an ideal place for us. The hotel is personal and of a higher standard to the sister hotel of Jolly Beach. Our room (1 Bed Suite) was great, a huge bed, good kitchen, 2 balconies, good bathroom (average shower). The rooms were cleaned daily and they have just added wireless internet available in each room.
The rooms are located about 200m from the fabulous beach. Fantastic sand, very quiet and a good beach bar at Castaways. Why people feel the need to hire golf buggys I have no idea, The pools at Jolly Beach are 300m walk, the supermarket is 400m and the restaurants of Jolly Harbour 500m...!!
There are good restaurants in Jolly Harbour, but slightly limited for a weeks stay. The whole area seemed very quiet when we stayed, with most restaurants closing at 9pm, and limited bars and nightlife.
The staff were fantastic, very polite, helpful and sincere. With one exception... we were approached half way through the holiday by a staff member to complete a survey, which very quickly turned into a pitch for timeshare sales. When I said that I was not interested and only there to relax on holiday, she turned fairly nasty and aggressive. Shame....
We used the facilities of Jolly Beach, the smaller of the 2 pools was a great area to relax. We didn't however use any of their all inclusive bars or restaurants, but they looked like the normal 'all inclusive' quality.
Overall a nice hotel, good service, good location and great beach.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

I was a little afraid after reading some negative reviews, but we had a lovely time at Tranquility Bay in Antigua. We did not purchase an all-inclusive package that is available at Jolly Harbor. There were some many great restaurants in the area, it seemed like a waste. We especially liked O.J.'s and Carmichael's for dinner. We rented a golf cart, which was so much fun. We went to the harbor everyday. The beach is wonderful, though the mosquitos did feast on my legs - take bug spray! Miss Tammi at the reservation desk was especially wonderful. She is a sweetheart and took care of our excursions. If you do prefer an all-inclusive place, there are likely better options on Antigua. Since we do not care for that type of trip, TB was perfect for us.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

We have just returned from two very enjoyable weeks at Tranquility Bay, Antigua.
The staff went out of their way to be more than helpful, friendly and courteous.
It is difficult to single out individuals, but Frances was the star when it came to helping me when I thought I had lost my passport.
We particularly liked the fact that the resort was so close to a lovely beach, the supermarket and several good restaurants.
it was easy to get to St John's and even English Harbour using local buses.
It was helpful when two restaurants further afield provided transport when we went there for a meal.
We hope one day to return in the not too distant future.

1 Thank symmonds
Haverhill, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

We stayed in Tranquility Bay timeshare from Nov 6-13th. This is our 3rd trip to Antigua and our 3rd trip to Jolly Beach which Tranquility Bay is located on. This was our 1st trip to Tranquility Bay. We have stayed all over the Caribbean. Antigua is our favorite island and we always come back every other year. Tranquitlity Bay is located next to Jolly Beach Resort and shares pool, entertainment, and non motorized water sports with Jolly Beach. We had a 2 bedroom timeshare. We were not able to have anyone stay with us so it was VERY large for just the two of us. The bathrooms were big. The master had a double sink (although a little bit small), and a tub and shower combo. The 2nd bathroom had a walk in shower. The master bedroom was huge about double the size of our master at home. We had our own laundry room with washer, dryer, hamper, iron, and ironing board. 2nd bedroom had 2 double beds (we closed this off and shut off the a/c in this room). Kitchen had a full size fridge, stovetop, microwave, panini maker, blender, coffeemaker. Kitchen was a good size. There are no ovens at this time, but plans to put them in sometime in the near future. We didn't want to cook in the oven anyways so that was fine with us. Small dining table that would fit 4. Large living room with TV (no flat screen yet...but plans in the very near future), stereo. The balcony outside is huge and will sit at the table at least 6 people. We LOVE this location because it is close to a lot here. Large grocery store is within walking distance...someone will take your groceries back with the cart and then you tip them..I tipped about $5. Restuarants are within walking distance at the harbor (near the grocery store). Peter's was delicious and Melini's for Italian was really good too. We also grabbed a taxi to OJ's that we really enjoyed and have been too as well. Be forewarned the taxi to and from OJ's will run about $30. Take the bus into town for St John it is $1 each way!!
We went to the beach most days as the best is one of the best in the Caribbean. Plenty of papalas...just get out and reserve one a little early in the morning. Water is usually very calm here, but the hurricane stirred things up a bit while we were there. The view is amazing...cannot even tell you how unbelievable it is. We stayed at Hawksbill Resort for 3 days prior and the beach and view was not nearly as good as Jolly Beach. We went back to our timeshare each day to to make lunch...just a 2-3 minute walk away.

Things you should bring if you are staying at Tranquility Bay:
Soft sided collapsible cooler - to bring to the beach for drinks and snacks. I forgot this and had to buy one.
Travel Mugs - if you want to make frozen drinks to bring back to the beach...bought these too. Castaways is right near the papalas and you can walk and buy drinks and food there too...but why buy it if you have it already in your timeshare?
Small clothes detergent packs and dryer sheets if you plan on doing a wash.
Sponge - I always bring my own and use it for dishes as I don't like the dish towel they provide.
Salt and Pepper and Sugar - you don't want to have to buy that there too. I bring my picninc shakers with me in a plastic bag each time I go to a timeshare.
Tea and Coffee packs - I don't buy that ever either...always bring it with me.
Sealable plastic bags - gallon and all other sizes to store things and some saran wrap too...I had to buy that forgot the saran wrap. My smaller bags held all the shells I collected for my niece on the beach too.
Bug Spray - I have never needed this the other times I have been, but I cannot tell you how many times I got bit. We bought some while there. Also bring cortisone or anti itch cream so you won't have to buy that either. I travel with a small pharmacy so I never need much.
We did the Wadadali catamaran cruise again...this is our 3rd time doing this. I cannot tell you how much my husband and I enjoy this. It is without a doubt my favorite thing to do. The crew is fabulous and really want to make sure you have a good time. Food is good for lunch too. We also did Shirely Heights on Sunday night. We have only ever done it during the day to see the view. What a great tiime on a Sunday night with the food and steel drum band. You only need about 3-4 hours here. Make sure you get here before the sun goes down (get here before 5p). The view is amazing and presents a great photo opportunity. We also did the Isle of Barbuda for the 1st time. WOW!!! 17 miles of totally uninhabitated beach...far as the eye can see. The bird sancutary was really something too.
We enjoyed Tranquility Bay and Antigua so much that we bought timeshare here. Yes it needs a little updating...they are slowly working on it, but the economy has not helped. They are also putting in a pool and restaurant at some point for the timeshare only. Which will be nice for us to have our own pool. Although the 2 pools at Jolly Beach are great too. Till next year when we return again...I will just dream. Tell Sherman hello...he will take your bags too your room. Not easily forgetable...everyone knows Sherman!!

7 Thank telenurse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Keyonna Beach Resort Antigua
#2 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour

Been to Tranquility Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!