“PATHETIC FRONT DESK MANAGEMENT SERVICE”

Tranquility Bay Antigua
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
O'Fallon, Missouri
“PATHETIC FRONT DESK MANAGEMENT SERVICE”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

These people would struggle as a greeter at Wal-Mart. No one can help you. I called several resorts before making a decision. I did call this resort and got a quote $3,400.00. I thought this was high. So as an American consumer I kept looking for a deal. I booked this trip through Price Line in July when Priceline had a reasonable deal. We paid $1,900.00 for 8 nights. I called to confirm a week before and check on amenities. I gave them my conformation number from Priceline over the phone they seemed to know who I was. I arrived and they wanted me to pay upon arrival. I explained I already paid for this trip in July though Priceline. The front desk told me they do not work with Priceline. They did have a room under my name. Which I was surprised because I booked under my husband's name. (I believe the confusion was- when I called to confirm my trip through Priceline they booked the $3,400.00 room. Not through Priceline) So when I arrived I was shocked. I wanted this problem solved. I asked them to look up the room under the conformation number I was given. They would not take it. I showed a paid receipt. That was not good enough. I even pulled up my e-mail from Priceline and showed it to them. Not good enough. This even had their name Tranquility Bay all over it. Not good enough. I pulled up my credit card information and called the credit card company and talked on the phone with them. They showed that Tranquility Bay had been paid in July. Several days there they had not helped solve the problem. I could not get WiFi internet in the room so I used their computers to e-mail Priceline. After Christmas and Boxing Day I got a response from Priceline. We did have a room and it was paid. Priceline said they would call the front desk. The front desk was there but would not pick up. I sent my husband down to the front desk to tell them to pick up and talk to Priceline now so we can solve this problem. They told my husband they could not do it because they can not help today the manager Dawn was in charge and she won't be in for a few hours. (I am totally ticked - I am on vacation trying to solve their screw up.). I asked again that they use the conformation number from Priceline. The room is under my husbands name. About 6 days into the trip they tell me they solved the problem that they e-mailed Priceline and I could relax. We go to check out and of course I have a $35.00 phone bill from the states. I thought it would be fair for them to absorb the cost. Dawn argued and raised her voice at me several times telling me I made the call to Priceline and she had solved the problem without my help. She totally ruined my 8 days of vacation. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. Tranquility Bay needs to be trained how to be hospitable to consumers. Reading all these other reviews we expected a 3 star Resort. What we got was a 1 star service at the desk. Our room was 3 star. Door won't shut without a good slam. Coffee maker and blender was not working was replaced within an hour. Fan in bed room was as noisy as a runway jet taking off. 2 showers one hot the other cold and did not drain well. Half the electric plugs worked. Bring surge protector for all electronic. We brought down a small fan and it shorted out because of the different power source. They had both 110 and a 120. But-power fluctuations. BRING SURGE PROTECTED POWER STRIP for electronics. Maid service for excellent. Marie was awesome. She kept the room clean. We always had fresh linens. There was fresh flowers everywhere. Nice touch. She was very pleasant. The beach is beautiful as expected. The sand is nice and soft. Lots to do for the kids. However the pool at Jolly Resort is outdated. (3 star) If you want to relax at the beach don't go here. It is similar to a flock of seagulls fighting over a fish but in this case it's your money. We were approached by locals 3 to 16 times a day for island excursions, not relaxing. Tranquility Bay had a cocktail party - very nice. They also had Santa arrive on a boat and party for the kids with presents. That was a nice thing for the kids. All in all it comes down to basic costumer relations. If the problem about the room was resolved pleasantly within a day it would have been a much more enjoyable stay. By the way you can book on Priceline today!

Room Tip: You get what you get. There are no beach views. But it is an easy walk. 1 minute to the beach. Thes...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank 44737Joe_G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
toronto
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed in the deluxe two-bedroom unit in the third building from the ocean. We did not do all-inclusive, but rather cooked our meals ourselves. We loved the resort and our unit. If I want to be really picky, I'd say that the AC in the master bedroom was a bit noisy.

During the first two days there was a shortage of beach chairs, however when enough people complained, the resort staff brought more chairs from somewhere and there was more than enough for everyone for the rest of our stay.

I recommend "The Bonfire" and "Fire Eater and Limbo Dancer" shows in the Jolly Beach resort. I also recommend the Fish and Chips place (in the English double-decker) in Jolly Harbour. And rent that golf cart at least for a day to drive around -- it's fun!! We also rented a car to go to Nelson's dockyard for a day. Driving in Antigua is easy (coming from Toronto): even though they drive on the left side, there are very few roads so there is little opportunity to get confused (no round-abouts, maybe just three turns between the hotel and Nelson's dockyard), so you just get on the road and follow it.

Room Tip: I think some of the one-bedrooms have an internal connecting door, so that two units can be combined...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank khmmm
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed all-inclusive at the Tranquility Bay for a week over Christmas, and it was the best holiday I've ever had. The apartment was basic but comfortable, with a huge bed, large walk-in shower and well-equipped kitchen. The only downside was that it had A/C units in the lounge and bedroom, but neither of them worked! We had to use the ceiling fans instead, which were quite noisy. The beach was less than a minute's walk away from our door, but even the farthest building from it would only be two minutes away, and there is an outdoor shower on the way back to help get the sand off your feet before you track it back into the room. The apartment has free wi-fi, but it was spotty at best; the rear veranda had the best reception.

The resort itself is one half of a larger complex, the other part being the noisier Jolly Beach where the restaurants are located (there is an Italian restaurant in the Tranquility Bay, but it has to be booked in advance, and not even the hotel's reception ever managed to find out when it would be open!). The Jolly Beach has a pool, but why anyone would use it when there is a gorgeous beach right behind it is a mystery. It also has the beachfront Coconut Grill (tasty, but *very* slow service) and Lydia's buffet - given the choice we would always have eaten at Lydia's, but it wasn't open every day, meaning we had to use the less appealing Hemispheres most of the time. Another reviewer complained about the little birds (Carib Grackles, mostly) that hang around all the cafes looking for dropped food, but we found them very entertaining to watch.

Minor annoyances are the poor lighting and signposting that make it hard to find your way around the complex at night, the beach touts who can be quite persistent until they get the message that you're not interested (in fairness, the most annoying of them were found on the northern section of the beach, outside the resort) and the lack of soundproofing in the apartments; ours had an internal connecting door to the next flat, which would be ideal for larger groups, but it meant that we could hear everything going on next door, and no doubt vice versa!

Outside the resort, there's a slightly pricey but well-stocked supermarket at Jolly Harbour five minutes' walk away, which had just about everything we needed for provisions. Everything else requires a cab ride, but prices are fixed by the government, so you always know what you're going to pay.

It may not have been the cheapest trip, but it was worth every penny. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the location is absolutely gorgeous. By the end of the week we were both thoroughly relaxed, and didn't want to go home!

3 Thank Andy M
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed from Dec. 4-7 in a one bedroom suite. The unit was very well equipped but due to our short stay we did not cook there. Not all rooms have a view of the ocean. Our suite which was an end unit had 2 balconies. The main one off of the bedroom had a table, 4 chairs and 2 loungers with a small table. Free internet in the unit and it worked well.
Note: this is a non-smoking property with designated smoking areas outside, which means no smoking on the balconies, walkways, reception etc.
Short walk to the beach and beach restaurant called Castaways. Food was good and they have a live band on Friday nights with a bon fire.
Staff that we encountered were very pleasant and extremely helpful. Hats off to Angus who works at the front desk. He has our vote for employee of the month. He arranged for a golf cart to pick us up and take us to the restaurant in Jolly Harbour along with some other good info of the area.
Beach was clean, more of a walking beach and good for swimming.
You can use the pool and other facilities at the Jolly Beach resort next door for free. As well you can do a half day or full day pass here which includes your food & drinks. Bring your beach towel that you were issued from Tranquility Bay as they do not provide one in your day pass.
Had breakfast at the Crow's Nest restaurant in Jolly Harbour which is within walking distance and was good plus you receive a discount because of staying at Tranquility Bay. Had dinner at Melini's in Jolly Harbour which we enjoyed very much.
There is a grocery/liquor store which we found to have very reasonable prices and also was within walking distance.
Would we return? Yes, and hope to within the next year.

3 Thank dlus2016
UK
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We spent a few days at Tranquility Bay and found the apartment traditionally Caribbean in décor and in need of modernisation. The kitchenette doesn't have an oven, just a small counter top electric oven with microwave and hob. The kettle is boiled from the hob, there's no electric kettle and utensils are a little sparce!. Bring your own tea and coffee as this is not complimentary, although on arrival there are two small bottles of water in the fridge. The apartment is spacious, we had two balcony areas, bring citronella candles for the mosquitos. Our apartment had a queen size bed which was comfortable. The onsite restaurants are tricky to get your head round as they are served by another 'sister' hotel so paying for meals wasn't straight forward. Would recommend the Caribbean buffet plenty of choice however, eating onsite is very expensive. There's a large supermarket outside the resort which you can walk to or ask one of the staff to drive you there on the golf buggy, you can buy food and other provisions, including citronella candles. The staff although eager to please seemed to lack consistency in the information given - so double check and ask them to explain everything in detail just to be sure you know in advance what you are signing up for and getting. Travelling to St John's is easy, the number 20 bus from outside the supermarket takes you straight there and costs US3.25 pp - it's quick, efficient and safe. Eating at St John's is good, a lovely selection of restaurants near the harbour. BEWARE - if you book the tour to Barbuda, be sure you book the right one. We were told that you would have a fun time travelling there by boat - it was anything but... the sea was incredibly choppy and it takes 2 hours. That said, we had a great time on the island, Levi the tour guide, was excellent, he gave an indepth tour of the island and it's history, followed by a lobster/chicken lunch and time relaxing on the beach before heading back for another 2 hours of choppy sea travel back to Antigua. The bird sanctuary was very good, we were lucky that it was mating season, you could see the male frigate birds with their puffed out red chests. Our first time to the island was a great one and would return again, not so sure if I would return to Tranquility bay although as I said before, they did all the could to make our stay a pleasurable one. Would recommend taking the bus to Falmouth Harbour - we did the journey by bus, much cheaper than taking a taxi!

4 Thank Lindy16UK
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We spent a week at Tranquility Bay and found the place a little run down - but an excellent place to stay while in Antigua. The rooms were spacious and clean, equipped with everything you need. Full kitchen (no oven) Microwave, fridge, pots and pans. Even had a washer and dryer. The beautiful beach is only a few steps away. The dive shop (I am a diver) - Jolly Dive - is located on the beach and provided great service. The staff was very helpful finding our way around Antigua. One thing - if you rent a car - the roads are not too good and there are very few street or road signs to help navigate and being an English colony they drive on the left side of the road. All in all we would return.......

4 Thank Dale I
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just stay somewhere else. If you smoke - you will be charged $300.00 anytime Housekeeping smells smoke.Management in my opinion is inept. Furniture is old & dirty in our suite. Promised upgrades never seem to come.In my opinion, Management & housekeeping staff is rude.

Room Tip: Any room without cockroaches is a good room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank dingo650
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
Sugar Ridge
Sugar Ridge
#2 of 2 in Jolly Harbour

Been to Tranquility Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!