“10 lovely nights at Tranquility Bay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tranquility Bay Antigua

Tranquility Bay Antigua
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Toronto, Canada
“10 lovely nights at Tranquility Bay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We spent 10 nights at Tranquility Bay condos in Jolly Harbour, we stayed in a 2-bedroom, full kitchen suite.Service at Tranquility was excellant and staff so friendly and helpful. The living room furniture was a bit uncomfortable, however with a tv in every room we watched tv in bed most of the time.Showers need some updating and air conditioner worked really hard to try and keep the rooms cool. I would definitely recommend skipping the all-inclusive option and venturing out on your own to enjoy the local cuisine. So many great resturants, Akropolis the Greek Resturant,(excellant) ate there twice, Al Portos Italian resturant (very good ) and on the pier, all walking distance. Crow's Nest local bar was great and Canadian owned by a lovely lady Helen, again just walking distance. There is a local supermarket to pick up coffee , drinks, snacks and beers to keep for when we took our time.getting ready for our day or evening. I must say the people are the nicest I ever met on an island and i have been on quiet a few islands. They don't bother you and no begging, there are just happy smiling people, just wave and say hello when walking or driving by. I do have to mention as i wish i had known before going, there are lots and lots of mosquitos out in the evening, the gardens are sprayed every night which is great, i got bitten very badly first night dining out, but once i knew this i sprayed myself every night before going out and was safe after that. They didn't bite my husband but feasted on me and quiet a few other people i met. So bring bug spray!
We went on a couple of island tours with "Lennox Fun Tours" his name is Lennox Scotland he was a very nice man, and we thoroughly enjoyed his tour guiding of the whole island, We hired him for 2 days to really show us the island , its beaches and the historical sugar plantations/ mills, he did a great job. Just ask for Lennox, everyone on the island knows him,from concierge at Tranquility to any of the local resturants. We had a great time!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank BeautifulIsland2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Bayonne, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stayed at Tranquility Bay the 3rd week of April for our Honeymoon! I purchased the week through Groupon, and was very pleased with the decision to stay here. We flew into ANU and took a cab from the aiport ($24 US & about 25 minutes) and were greeted by the very friendly desk staff at TBA. Check-in was fast and the staff was very knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions and help in any way they could. They had staff come with a golf cart to show us to our room. We hopped on and he took us to our room (113 at 'The Captain) and showed us the apartment - how to use the AC, fan, open the balconies, etc. We were so surprised by the room! It was a king suite and very modern! It had a full kitchen, tiled floors, large bathroom (fully stocked with bath towels, bath robes, lotions, shampoo, body wash, travel kit, hair dryer, a telephone, etc). When you check in you also get a beach towel per person that you can exchange at the front desk each day. The living room was a nice size with coffee table books about Antigua. There was a small balcony off of the living room. The bedroom was HUGE with 2 closets, a tv, an electronic safe, iron & ironing board, etc.. also very modern and had a GREAT balcony off of it with 2 loungers and a cafe set. I thought the AC & fan were AWESOME and sometimes too cold (a good thing!). Also - the maids left fresh flowers all over the apartment - a nice touch. The kitchen had a toaster oven, full-sized fridge, stocked with plates & utensils (cooking & eating), coffee maker, microwave, blender, serving trays (perfect for breakfast in bed), coasters, etc - all the bare essentials :-) We really enjoyed the suite - it was PERFECT! Also, there is daily maid service around 3 pm, and the grounds were immaculate.

The beach was great! Only a 2 minute walk to the beach. The only disappointing thing we found was that there were no reefs just off of Jolly Beach (our favorite pasttime) so you had to go elsewhere (excursion or boat ride) to snorkel. TBA's beach is not all-inclusive and is actually timeshare apartments, so it wasnt as crowded as it's all-inclusive sister resort that is just next store, Jolly Beach Resort. The bad thing about the less-crowded beach is that some of the locals bother you more (not always a bad thing but I got tired of being asked if I wanted to rent the jet ski every hour). The good thing about being right next to the sister resort is the option to pay for the all-inclusive options (about $500 US pp for the full all-inclusive option, yikes! But they do have a ton of options like just drink day passes or day passes, etc). You also have access to use all non-motorized water sports - kayaks, catamarans, peddle boats, etc. They also have catamaran sailing lessons every morning at 10:30 which was pretty fun! The guys at the watersports shack were really friendly and awesome, as well! You have access to both pools, fitness center (which is only open in the morning and afternoon and looked kind of small), and the spa if you want. There were plenty of beach chairs when we were there.

There were some good restaruants around Jolly Harbour. We bought a good amount of food at the supermarket and made breakfast every morning and ate it on our balcony outside :-). We also bought liquor there so we could save money by making our own drinks at our room. We *LOVED* Castaways - the beachfront restaurant/bar next door to TBA. We found ourselves there daily. They have 2 for 1 happy hour drinks and GREAT lunch specials (the curry chicken, ribs, and fish of the day was awesome!!). Their dinner was ok - but they have a live reggae band Monday nights and good karaoke on Friday nights - a lot of fun!! We also ate at Josephs suprette (the place UNDER the Greek restarunt) which serves AUTHENTIC local food (unless you want to go to the Caribbean and eat Italian or Greek food....... (-_-) . We also ate at the Crows nest (yum! and good drink selection), OJ's (outdoor restaruant about 8 minutes by cab with great lobster), & Peter's steakhouse (great steaks and fish cooked right outside!) - also great places to eat. If you ever have the option to get the catch of the day at any restaurant - get it! I always did and was NEVER disappointed!!

We went on the stingray/zipline excursion - It was $125ish US pp and included transportation, lunch, and entrance to both things. The ziplining was ok - 9 ziplines with 2 trips on their longest line, "The Screamer" and you are not allowed to bring your camera. The staff takes your picture on the first line and the cost is like $25 US pp for the photos that you get on a disc. We had lunch at Betty's Hope - the old Sugar Mill which is outdoors at picnic tables.. it was really cool and our taxi driver, Jason, was really knowledgeable and was happy to take our pictures, tell us about the tamarind trees, Betty's Hope, etc. Then we went to Stingray City - DO IT!!!!!!!!! Stingray city was AWESOME!! A true once in a lifetime opportunity to swim with 40-60 stingrays (some that go up to 5 ft wide!) and feed them, pet them, have your photos taken with them. Here you can have your camera with you, or the staff takes your photos holding a stingray ($15 US per picture on a disk). You also get snorkels, but the reef wasnt that good. There was a HUGE barracuda though (which apparently was a regular at the feedings and didnt bother tourists - but still scary with his big spikey chompers).

We also bought a boat trip with one of the locals, Linden, who parks his little boat in front of Jolly Beach. It was $25US pp to have him take us out on his boat for an hour of snorkeling. I liked this better than an official excursion becuase he only takes up to 4 people and you can tell him to take you wherever you want which is pretty cool. I also hate going on large snorkeling excursions because you are always bumping into people so it was fun to go out and snorkel on our own for an hour. He was really knowledgeable and a lot of fun once you got to know him. We went diving around and saw some cool conch shells. I did take one, but later felt really bad about it because I read that they are endangered :'( Didnt think about it at the time so I feel pretty bad about it. The guys at the watersports shack cleaned it for me and I was able to take it home in my luggage.

We were here for the start of sailing week so it was cool to see a bunch of great boats at English Harbor. There is also a lot of cute shops at St. Johns.

Prices are comparible to the US. $1 US = ~$2.60 EC. You can use your AMEX/MC at most places, but keep cash on you to tip folks (or buy coconuts on the beach).

Overall we had a VERY relaxing week here at Tranquility Bay Antigua. The desk staff was AWESOME and are VERY friendly and happy to help you in any way (suggest excursions, arrange a cab for you, etc. etc.). I recommend renting a car to get around the island if you are seeking more adventure (365 free beaches and plenty of historical sites... what more can you ask for!). If you are looking for a relaxing place with modern rooms, I recommend TBA. IF you are looking for an all-inclusive option, I recommend the sister resort next door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Helen B
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week at the Tranquility Bay apartments in Jolly Harbour, we stayed in a one-bedroom suite in the Sunset Delight block - this is the nearest block to the beach and has views over the harbour (through coconut trees). It can get a bit noisy with the access road behind but is quite fun for people watching - not to mention the guys collecting coconuts, very interesting! All the people we met at Tranquility Bay (and the whole island) were very friendly and helpful. Yes, the accommodation is a bit tired but they are working on updating it and you get what you pay for. The suites are a decent size with plenty of facilities, decently equipped kitchen and two balconies. The air conditioning units were poor though, not very effective and very noisy, this is really the only complaint we had with the suite. Worth having a wander round the harbour itself, there are some decent restaurants on the complex and The Epicurian (supermarket) is well stocked, if a bit pricey. We visited the Akropolis (Greek) and two Italian restaurants which all did decent food. The beach at Jolly Harbour is lovely, worth a walk to the end and a clamber up the hill to get a bird's eye view - water is nice to swim in but too cloudy for any decent snorkelling. We did the Sunday evening visit to Shirley Heights to see the steel band, worth noting that this costs around £5 per person to get in, but there are great views and music. Nelson's Dockyard is worth a visit and would highly recommend the swimming with stingrays trip - Stingray City - well worth the US$50. We hired a car, roads are full of potholes, badly signposted and people/dogs/goats/cows have a tendency to wander down the middle of roads but worth it if you want to see more of the island. Beware the rum punch, they offer it everywhere and it is extremely potent!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Lyndsey I
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

First, I want to say that the Antigua people are the nicest I ever met on an island. We made an island tour with David, an excellent taxi driver that we met on Jolly Beach and the island is so beautiful. My stay was the first week of April. They received us with big smiles and welcome drinks. We had a deluxe 2 bedroom and end up with the unit facing the beach (the only one) we were so lucky. I'm not really difficult to please on vacation, I just find that I'm very lucky to have the chance to travel. This place had everything to make me happy. It is quiet, very clean and spacious, large verandah with a jaccuzi, all the staff were lovely and friendly, kitchen with everything you need to cook. Yes, furniture in the living room is not comfortable but I didn't use it often, I prefer to sit on the balcony where there was 2 long chairs with a patio furniture. We had AC and hot water problem the whole week.
Easy walk to restaurants and grocery Beautiful beach, beach chairs were always available, if you want a palapa, you can do what those crazy people do, wake up at 6 am, leave something on chairs, and come back at 3:00 p.m. Oh my, I don't want to say more about that!! You can have an umbrella on the beach for 5$ a day if you reserved for more than one day and you can look at the sea (palapas are further from the water and you see nothing from there).
We went to Al Porto on a Tuesday for the special 2 for 1 pizza, very good pizza, not expensive (50$ for 4 pizzas), service is very slow, very busy, not enough staff, but I recommend this place. If you have a chance to visit Sheer Rocks, is this paradise? We went on a Saturday for the tapas. 4 drinks, 8 or 9 tapas, taxes and a good tip for 150$ us (3 adults), all that with the use of a day bed and the little pool overlooking the Caribbean!!
For the price paid, Tranquility Bay is an excellent choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LyseMontreal
SeaTac, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our family of four just returned from our weeklong stay at Tranquility Bay. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath. It was a great value for the money. The accommodations were clean, the beds were comfortable, the kitchen was adequately stocked, the deck and living areas were super-spacious and the location was fantastic. Our villa was on the ground floor in the last building. Just a few steps away from the gorgeous beach, which was never crowded. I would definitely recommend skipping the all-inclusive option and venturing out on your own to enjoy the local cuisine. You'll find it much more economical and a delight to your palate. Just outside the resort pay a visit to "Miracles". She makes a delicious curry goat and jerked chicken that's sure to please. Jump on the #20 bus and take the ride into Heritage Key to do a little shopping and then visit "Roti King" for a good ole roti before heading back to the resort. Take the short walk or rent a golf cart from the front desk and drive to the grocery store and pick up the fixings to make a meal or two in your villa. On the way to the store you'll see a castle-like building that houses a Greek restaurant that everyone recommends. But at the bottom of that building is a door that opens to another little restaurant that's only open for breakfast and lunch from 10-12. One of the locals suggested we pay it a visit, and we're so glad we did! Great food and a lot of it! And for half the price of the resort food. At the end of the day, Tranquility Bay was a great place to relax.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Leanne C
Ennismore, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We are working on our relaxing, and found out how at Tranquility Bay. A Time Share resort right on Jolly Beach. Walking the beach, visiting the resort, or just watching the sun rise or set, is something we truly enjoyed while there. We enjoyed the Monday evening get togethers sponsored by the staff at Tranquility Bay as it gave us an opportunity to meet other guests share experiences. We met new restauranteurs and found out about some of the best kept secrets. We were there for about 18 days, and had a good time. The staff treated us well, and made sure all our questions were answered. The resort is typically Caribben, not luxurious, but certainly clean and not too badly appointed. The best deal is of course the water, it was wonderful. Watching the sun rise on our deck and set on the beach - a great day everyday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ugogirl143
Marion, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family and I just returned from our spring break vacation in Antigua. We absolutely loved the island, weather and beaches. We stayed at Tranquility Bay and the best word I can come up with to describe it is "adequate". The Tranquility Bay staff were friendly and helpful when asked to help and our villa had plenty of space with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, and living room. However, the livingroom furniture is the MOST uncomfortable furniture I have ever sat in. The absolute best part of Tranquility Bay was being next to Jolly Beach and Jolly Harbor. After sailing around the island and viewing all of the beaches -- we think Jolly Beach is the best. We also loved being near the Jolly Harbor and the many restaurants within walking distance in the area. Don't miss Acropolis -- the absolute best food of the week! I could have eaten there every night -- the lack of a picturesque view is completely made up by the wonderful made fresh from-scratch Greek food. The Jolly Harbor area (resort, Tranquility Bay, etc) has definitely seen better days -- I would say it is 10 years past it's prime, which is a shame because is sits on such an amazing beach. Tranquility Bay shares a pool with Jolly Resort -- the pool and pool area were fine -- no complaints, but I was certainly not "wowed". Our villa was expansive with a large verandah overlooking treetops, but it was dark and while appearing very clean, it felt dingy and had a strange oder, so for that reason we kept all of the doors open whenever we were in our villa. The resort gym was again adequate, not anything more and the walk there literally stunk as you had to walk by what I presume was a small sewage facility. Don't miss sailing on the Wadadli Cat and zip lining -- our favorite 2 activities of the week besides being on the beach. I also do not recommend renting a car (the roads and drivers are a bit scary) -- there are many taxi's and the drivers are fantastic -- the best taxi drivers in terms of helpfulness and promptness I have ever encountered! While we will definitely go back to Antigua, we will not stay at Tranquility Bay or Jolly Beach Resort, nor would I ever recommend to friends of family to stay here. Having seen the island and now understanding the many beautiful resorts that are available, we will choose differently next time.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere -- I am not intending to be inflammatory, but rather honest. The resort needs signif...