“a gem of an hotel in a perfect location!”
Review of Cassia Cottage

Cassia Cottage
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Duong Dong
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We have just spent a week at Cassia Cottage with some friends - we had planned on having a beach room but there was only one available so Mark, the owner, suggested in an email that we shared a beach cottage. We were so surprised at how large and spacious it was, we each had our own large bedroom and bathroom and there was a huge shared sitting room with a veranda all around the property. The airconditioning was rather hit and miss but the staff eventually got it sorted out and we had a ceiling fan anyway so it wasn't too hot when the aircon didn't work;. Breakfasts were a feast! Lunch and dinner on the beach were good too. We also walked along the beach and tried out other restaurants and didn't have a bad meal anywhere. There is a massage room over looking the sea which was good value and also along the beach at Mai Spa we had some great massages, As previously mentioned by another guest, there is a strong smell of mildew, especially on the towels, but that would be my only negative point to make and it is really beyond their control with the high humidity. The staff were all wonderful and attentive and the little extra touches like tea time treats were a welcome surprise!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HampshireSally

Reviewed October 24, 2009

We had a very enjoyable stay here for 4 nights in October.

The location is good. Along the beach from the hotel you will find 3-4 bars and its possible to then walk up towards Duong dong. A taxi back was around 50,000 ( less than £2 GB). Nearby we found most bars sold beers for 12-20,000VND and plenty of places to eat at 30,000 VND +.

We booked a large seafront room. It certainly was large, I would say 12m x 4m x 6m high. It contained 2 very large beds, an outdoor shower , bathroom , mini bar but no TV. The room was nicely furnished and had a good view. The room was not detached but this was not a problem to us. The safe was a wooden box with a small padlock that did not appear very secure. Overall its a beautiful place.

Breakfast was not the best we had eaten in Vietnam but was still OK. Main complaint here was warm water and poor bacon, I stuck to eggs on toast or fruit. We ate one evening in the restaurant and it was really nice although more expensive than eating away from the hotel. Service was always 100% during our entire stay.

On arrival we were asked to leave our passports and flight tickets. perhaps this was for our benefit but personally I felt it created a feeling of distrust.

My main complaint was that the air con was turned off between 10 - 12 and 2 - 5 pm, although one could make a special request for it to be left on we never did as we didn`t want to make a fuss. As our room was so large with only one air con unit it took hours for the room to cool down.

When booking flights back be aware that check out is at 10 am.

If taking a laptop WIFI is only available near the restaurant . 2 computers are provided for free next to reception.

We hired a motorbike from the hotel and toured the island, this was a fantastic way to explore and very enjoyable but note that many roads are in very poor condition so some biking experience would be a big advantage.

I would recommend this place and we really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bestyman
Reviewed September 23, 2009

This was the most perfect 5 days I have spent. We just left Cassia today and could stay forever. Our initial thoughts were "oh, the pool is small" "oh the room is a big musty" (humidity - what can they do) . But by the end of our trip we could only say that it was perfect. I have never been more relaxed. We stayed in both an ocean front room and were very lucky to also experience staying in the big house (reccommended). Either way you can't help but love it. The restaurant served excellent food and we would have a snack and drinks delivered to our porch every afternoon. Cassia often send out a complimentary drink to those guests around the pool in the afternoons too. Phuong and the other staff made us feel very welcome and looked after. The garden is beautiful. We did the 4km walk to town most days (never sweated so much in my life!!) and really enjoyed the day market over the bridge and the night market too. The trip to sao beach and the waterfall is well worth it. Our favourite meals were at Mai House a short walk south down the beach (you HAVE to go here) and Nu Na a local vietnamese hang out serving all dishes with Com (rice) in town (don't know the street name). There were so many other things we didn't do like motorbikes and an thoi islands or even a trip up north but it didn't matter - we were totally happy until we had to go! PS don't be dumb tourists like us, make sure you protect your skin from the sun on long walks - I think we sweated our sunscreen off . So red.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KristyJT72
Reviewed September 10, 2009

It was not only such a nice atmosphere and ambient, also the quality of the service was excellent. They all were very involved to make a very good customer experience, even if the weather didn’t help !!!! I will come back soon…..

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We had been to Phu Quoc several times before, but this was our first time at Cassia. It is literally hidden from the road and we were so surprised to see how beautiful it was. Everything at Cassia had a personal touch added, from the first greetings to the flowers arranged on our bed to say "welcome", to the personalized meals. The entire staff was wonderful, but most outstanding was Mai, the assistant manager who was so ever accommodating to our every need.

The restaurant, while small, has some very talented cooks. Here's a tip: for the best tasting food, asking them to do it "Vietnamese style" and they will show you what they REALLY can do. If you happen to pick up something from the market, they will cook it up for you anyway you want.

The beach is great as other reviewers indicated. I recommend swimming in the morning as the water is at its cleanest and just hang out in the pool during the afternoon. Fruits, drink and even dinner can be served at poolside if you ask.

I have stayed at other resorts costing 3 times as much at Phu Quoc, and they don't hold a candle to Cassia. The only downside is this place may be hard to book during busy season so you need to book early and be flexible on your date. Don't worry about which type of room to book because they are all wonderful and close to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mte801
Reviewed July 6, 2009

Don't let the wet season put you off travelling to Vietnam. Showers blow over quickly, and wet nights are no inconvenience. This lovely resort was the perfect stay! New manager Lena, and her lovely staff looked after we 3 friends with care and devotion. Small touches like fresh flowers every day, "welcome" spelt out in blossoms when we arrived, fresh fruit free of charge every afternoon by the pool, and goodbye flower garlands delighted us constantly. This island is well worth including on your itinerary, as a welcome respite from the busy cities and long distances of the mainland. Take your swimmers, eat at the resort or one of the many restauants along the beach, or night markets, you will love it!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank DelightedNorthernNSW
Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is a late review, I stayed here toward the end of February of 2009. In Vietnam, you never quite know what to expect. I found most places I stayed to be clean and well-staffed, but when I arrived at Cassia Cottages, I was blown away. I have to be honest, I'm almost hesitant to publicize this place for fear it gets booked solid before I have a chance to return! The grounds are absolutely stunning, the beach is pristine and quiet. They have a great restaurant...I enjoyed numerous papaya shakes and spring rolls which were served to me on my beach chair during lunch and several lemongrass tofu and white wine dinners at their beachfront restaurant at night. The rooms are spotless and very nicely decorated. Comfortable beds, AC, spacious showers. I really felt like it surpassed most 5-star US resorts. The staff are absolutely WONDERFUL. Extremely helpful, zero language barriers. I was able to rent a motorbike onsite, following a brief 5-minute lesson, and was on my way to a fishing village and deserted beach--HIGHLY recommended--on the south side of the island. Go there. Now.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
#3 of 108 in Phu Quoc Island
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
#6 of 108 in Phu Quoc Island

Been to Cassia Cottage? Share your experiences!