Phuong Binh House
$61
$134
$108
Agoda.com
Phu Van Resort(Duong Dong)
$65
$63
$130
$110
Agoda.com
All reviewslong beachbeach frontbeachfront bungalowlack of privacyfamily runbeach restaurantred snappertoes in the sandchange of sceneryair conmozzie netsun loungersmini fridgeover christmaslounge chairsbeach towelsfive nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I loved Phuong Binh House and would definitely stay there again. I and another friend each stayed in one of the beachfront bungalows ($35) where you can just step off the porch onto the beach. Another friend had a sea view bungalow ($25) which was slightly smaller but pretty much identical, just a few paces off the beach. My room was large but quite spartan with a wardrobe and bedside table. The rooms did not have tv but I believe there are plans to add them to the rooms at a later date. Most of the time we were out and about, at the restaurant/on the beach or having a few drinks at Rory's so it wasn't missed at all. The family who runs the place definitely make you feel very welcome without being too overly attentive. As mentioned in other reviews, Bic is great and makes such an effort to make sure your visit goes smoothly. The bungalows are having little improvements done over time which will make this place even more popular. Get in while you can.

Room Tip: If you can't get a beach front bungalow, stay in one of the sea view rooms. You cannot get a better location or value for money than this.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Ngô B, Front Office Manager at Phuong Binh House, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hello.
Thank you so much for your good review.
I feel really sorry because when you were here the weather was so bad.
It is too windy and rainny. Do you remember when you have just arrived, it was a big rain.
I went up to the corner to pick you up by a umbrella but you were be wet at all.

We had fun and really comfortable to be served you at our place.

Thank you for everything and we hope to have a chance to meet you again at Phuong Binh House.

Bic and PBH

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a brilliant time here and Bic, the owner, is great. The rest of the staff are very friendly and helpful. We paid $15 a night for the bungalow furthest away from the beach front so I think it was the cheapest, still a brilliant room: nice sized double bed, mosquito net, large room, en-suite wet room.

The restaurant serves food and drinks all day and the cocktails, well, they're amazing! You can rent motorbikes which are reasonable priced and I would advise doing so in order to explore the island and its beaches north and south.

The only negatives was the plumbing; it was common the struggle flushing the chain on the toilet and the showers were often cold. However as we found throughout our backpacking trip of Vietnam, this was very common. Overall a fantastic place to stay and made our trip to the Island.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ngô B, Front Office Manager at Phuong Binh House, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Hello. I'm Bic. I hope that everything is good on your side.
Thank you so much for your stay at Phuong Binh House and for your nice feedback.
Because we use the Sun power for hot shower system so hot water was depended on the weather. It was in wet season so I'm so sorry for this trouble.

Thank you for everything. You were very nice to us.
We hope to see you again soon.

Bic and PBH

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Can just confirm what everybody else wrote. Serious deal for this money. My story: unfortunately our pickup at the airport was forgotten. We did not make a big deal out of if and did not ask for a refund or anything. But even without asking, the costs got all deducted from the hotel bill. Where do you find that these days?

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank TonyRomancio
Ngô B, Front Office Manager at Phuong Binh House, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Hello. I'm Bic from Phuong Binh House.
Thank you so much for your good review.
I'm really sorry for our mistake. That was all my faut.
Thank you so much for your sympathy and for choice at our place.
Thank you for everything.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were lucky and got the room right ON the beach- just re-opened.- not sure how they were allowed to build there , but only 2 metre to sand, 10 metre to sea (28C), 6 metre to bar/restaurant from our bedroom door! Other units behind are also close and cheaper.
Family owned and loved by very happy , friendly family.
Definitely not the Ritz, but clean and very inexpensive basic accommodation and food.
Some great sunsets during our stay, and only a few storms this week, in contrast to prior week on the island , which was a washout almost. (480 mm rain monthly July/August).
Regrettably beach has a lot of trash from local community, but hotels clean up their foreshore regularly.- will improve as tourism develops !?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ngô B, Front Office Manager at Phuong Binh House, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Hello, I'm Bic. Thank you so much for your good review. That was very nice to meet you and your wife. We were very happy to see that your stay had two days with nice weather.
We hope to see you again next year and we will have cushions for you on your sunbed!...
Thank you so much again.
I hope that you have a nice trip in Hoi An.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed at Phuong Binh guesthouse in August 2013, and generally found it to be an excellent place to put our feet up for a week and recharge. We paid $25/night for a bungalow with AC which we felt was good value. There are definitely a few things which could be improved, but it's not hard to see why it has such a good reputation amongst travellers.

Highlights
– Rooms are excellent, simply but tastefully decorated. Beds are comfy, not too firm, and pillows are good. All beds have mosquito nets which we used each night. AC not needed in August. Wet room bathroom, and while the shower is not closed, the room is large enough not to warrant it.
– The location is difficult to beat. Our bungalow was only a few meters from the beach, and it was lovely falling asleep each night to a soundtrack of waves crashing on the shore. It's a couple of kilometres south of Duong Dong, the main town, meaning you'll need to hire a scooter or take a short taxi ride if you want to go into town. This was not a big issue and you'll probably find yourself spending most of your time around the guesthouse anyway. Definitely worth eating at the seafood night market in town at least once though. Two doors to the south is the excellent Rory's Beach Bar, an amazingly relaxing bar and restaurant that you'll find yourself returning to time and time again.
– Tab system in place, where you pay for all accommodation, food and drinks on check-out. Makes life easier.
– Bich in particular is lovely and professional, with a good level of English. Always happy to help out and meet the needs of her guests.
– Airport/Ferry pickups available.

Improvements
– We initially checked into a non-AC room a bit further back from the beach but found the WiFi didn't work in the room. We changed to one of the AC rooms closer to reception (and the beach) where WiFi signal was better. Can be a little temperamental at times.
– Food and cocktails are passable, without being exceptional. No real effort put into making the restaurant inviting at night, such as table lanterns or music. But none of that matters because you have Rory's Beach Bar a couple of doors down.
– Wooden beach chairs do not have padded mattresses which is particularly annoying, as they're quite uncomfortable if you plan on sitting on them for a while. We would usually go to Arcadia Resort next door and use their padded loungers instead (D100k for two chairs for the day, or free if you don't get caught). They also have a very fast WiFi connection accessible from the beach.
– Construction work on one of the beach-front bungalows would start early in the morning, meaning long sleep-ins were not always possible. However, it looked like it was almost complete when we left (Not great for us, but good for you)
– Power shortages happen every few days. Not the fault of the guesthouse, and not really a major issue when you have the beach on your doorstep. Generators are sometimes used when power drops out.
– The rubbish: more a general problem for the island. Local fishermen use the ocean as their rubbish bin, and it washes up on shore. Usually the guesthouses clean their own corner of the beach each day, so it's not a huge problem, but walk to one of the more secluded areas and you'll be shocked by the state of it.

So in summary, Phuong Binh is not without its faults, but with a bit of local knowledge, most of its shortcomings can be easily met by the businesses around it, leaving you with a well-equipped bungalow only meters from the sand at a very reasonable price. What more can you ask for?

4  Thank Tito079
Ngô B, Front Office Manager at Phuong Binh House, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Hello. I'm Bic. I hope that you are now very happy on your trip at another place in Viet Nam.
First I want to say thank you for your long stay at Phuong Binh House and thank you for your feedback. This is a very nice review to us. Thank you so much.
Actually I could feel that you were a bit disappointed in our bar at the restaurant. We are so sorry about that. Our bar and restaurant is too closed to the sea or I can say that it is right on the beach and not shielded. In this season you can see the rain comes suddenly and the sea water is salty and it destroys everything. So we could not put any speaker or computer outside to play music. Half of the lights and 4 speakers at the bar were be broken. Our bar seems to be closed in rainny season.
It was not like our bar in high season anymore. I'm so sorry about that one more time. But we will try to find some solutions to keep the bar running at the same time in next rainny season. And we will fix cushion or at least thicker beach towers on the sunbed asap for sure.
The polutions is a big big problem in Viet Nam. I can see very bad thing in Vietnammese's behaviors related to the enviroment. In a meeting about this problem we got some solutions to deal it but I think it has to be deployed step by step. It takes a long time to inprove the comprehension of local people. We love this island and more than ever we want to protect it. But I think that local people should be known how is it important and what to do?

So thank you so much again. We will try our best to do everything better. The first thing we want to bring to you that's our heart. You are happy so we are happy.
We hope to see you again soon. Phuong Binh House always welcome you.