“Servive (or lack thereof)”

Long Beach Resort Phu Quoc
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Duong To
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed 4 days at Long Beach resort over chinese new year holidays. We had 3 rooms for 6 adults and two young children. Overall we had a great time as it was geat just being all there together. Having said that, this resort is definitely not one I would stay in again or recommend to anyone.

To keep it short, you should only consider this hotel if you really do not expect to need anything else but an air conditioned room with a clean bathroom and hot water. If you expect a "resort experience" do not stay here. As mentioned by others, the grounds of the hotel are fine and the beach area is really nice. The rooms are clean and comfortable if on the small side. Everything else is a let down:

- service is abysmal. The staff is kind and polite but completely clueless on even the most basic stuff. I think there are basically two issues: not enough staff around (which is rare in Asia) and those there (mostly non vietnamese actually) act as if they had just arrived and are discovering the resort at the same time as you are. Everybody seem to be "junior" with no experienced managers around to manage the whole thing. This could be because the resort is not managed by an international / experienced hotel management company

- food is terrible. Breakfast spread is very average and selection for lunch / dinner is both limited and really not good, particularly for the price

- pool area is small and unimpressive (a grand total of six sun umbrellas...)

- I wont dwell on the details but many other little things are really annoying (2 small bottles of water allowance per riom per day! No fitness center, Etc etc)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MarechalAsia

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Long Beach Resort for our last 4 nights on Phu Quoc. We fancied a bit of luxury to finish off the holiday! On arrival we were offered cold face towels and fresh apple juice which was a lovely touch. Our room was great- very beautifully decorated, clean and comfortable. The pool and beach area was amazing along with the spa treatment rooms where I had the best massage I've ever had! The staff were very friendly and attentive and made us feel very welcome but... The food was extremely disappointing. We ate at both of the resort restaurants and were underwhelmed by both. The beach seafood BBQ was especially poor and frankly a bit of a rip off. It was cooked by our waiter ( which worried me) and tasted bland. The food at the other restaurant was just fussy and trying to be something it wasn't. The location wasn't great either- it was in walking distance of nowhere. This wasn't a big deal for us as we hired a scooter for the whole time we were on the island but if you're not keen on this idea then you'd have to rely on taxis all the time.
Despite the not so great food we would still recommend this hotel purely for it's picturesque surroundings and beautiful sunsets. We enjoyed nothing more than watching it go down with a cold beer in hand!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annie K
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Lovely hotel in good location. Ancient deluxe room was very spacious with incredibily lux bathroom. Only downside was incompetent manager couldnt find our booking until we produced our passports and caused a degree of stress when she realised her mistake there was no apologies and nearly no pick up from the Airport. The rest of the staff were excellent. Breakfast was busy but it was high season so to be expected. Food was good.

Room Tip: Go for the Ancient deluxe room - well worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here over New Years and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. The hotel does indeed sit on a nice stretch of beach which is separated by a small outcrop from the rest of the beach and hotel zone. This makes it feel very secluded. The hotel itself seems to be struggling to identify what it wants to be. There is a new building nearing completion down by the pool which will add considerably to its size though we weren't disturbed by any construction work. The hotel seems old, but I think is quite new and we found the rooms comfortable if lacking in drawers and storage space. Mattresses are hard and the showers lacked pressure but this is probably not a problem unique to this property. Landscaping is beautiful.

The staff at the hotel were without exception excellent: polite, enthusiastic and energetic. The restaurant by the beach was fine for lunch but the main restaurant was disappointing both at breakfast and dinner ( which we ate only once anyway). This brings me back to my comments about the hotels identity. It has the potential to be a very smart boutique hotel but it lacks that level of sophistication that raises the bar that extra notch. However, the new block they're building will add considerably to the guest numbers which might compromise the intimacy of the setting and undermine the personal experience that I enjoyed here.

A couple of notes about Phu Quoc and Long Beach itself:

This island is about to explode with hotels, the new airport is open and there are some serious resorts planned. All the current resorts, this one included, are small and intimate, the new ones will be more like the all-inclusives you see in the Caribbean. It does not currently feel too touristy but this will change very quickly.

Away from the hotels Tere is a lot of rubbish on the beaches...more than I expected.

The town of Duong Dong is very charming and since its major business is fishing and not yet tourism it is a 'real' town which gets on with its daily life and hasn't really become tourist-oriented at all. For example, you can buy a beer for $0.35 in town or $2 in the hotel :-)

You should try and take a trip to the islands south of the Phu Quoc....it's not Ko Phi-Phi but it's a great trip and worth it for the swimming and snorkelling. There are other nice beaches as well on the south-east of the island: Bai Soa beach reminds me of Thailand circa 1992! Beautiful.

Finally, If you want to buy pearls watch out for the Phu Quoc Pearls shop just near the hotel...its in a big blue building. This is not where you want to buy Phu Quoc pearls as it is newly opened and most of its pearls are imported from overseas. The place to go is also called Phu Quoc Pearl and is further south on Long Beach along the dirt road that leads to An Thoi. Here is where they farm the pearls so you get the real deal. Not cheap...but guaranteed quality and authenticity. The hotel will help you find it. You can take a taxi for a couple of dollars ( or even free since they get a kick-back anyway!)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NeilOakshott
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We ended a very active 10 day holiday at the Long Beach Resort and once you get past some oddities the resort is quite nice and worthy of consideration. It is a Malaysian owned property that seemingly is either under construction or going thru some sort of change as the main beach restaurant was eerily closed as were the rooms nearest the beach, odd given this is high season. All the functioning rooms where the ones farthest from the beach. Everything else was nice. The staff was great. They had many Philippine hotel workers there in training which made it nice to talk in plain English after ten days of mostly unsuccessful pointing and grunting elsewhere in Vietnam. The Pilipino band at the bar was excellent, just not sure why management didn’t advertise their schedule to the guests (we just happened to hear them). That being said, the hotel pretty much didn’t advertise much of anything other than a local package tour company having a desk manned by a guy that spoke zero English. The rooms were really unique and functional and the food was good throughout. I did see other resorts that looked as nice or nicer but we were happy with the value we received.
I was surprised by the nice beaches on the island. I read a lot in previous reviews about excessive trash on the beach. Given that the Mekong Delta (which has a lot of trash) feeds the bay 140kms from Phu Quoc I was surprised that I saw nothing of concern on either Long Beach or Sao Beach (on the SE side). No, it is not Hawaii but compared to any other third world country I felt they were clean, much better than Bali, not as nice as Phuket. The water quality is good although not crystal clear, also due to the delta silt (not trash) runoff. If I hadn’t read those reviews I wouldn’t have even noticed. One disappointing thing happened when we saw a Long Beach Resort worker cleaning up the beach lounges throw a departed guest’s empty water bottle right in the ocean. I went and fetched it out but feel there is something in their culture about littering that this westerner doesn’t understand. There is a lot of talk about a huge expansion of the island to make it a major SE Asia tourist destination so have to believe that whatever trash issue there is will have to be resolved for that vision to be realized.
The island activities were great. We spent a ridiculously fun (albeit somewhat dangerous) day touring the island on rented motorbikes which we booked thru the hotel for $10/bike. The night market was simply amazing for fresh fish cooked in an open air market setting. How they can have that amount of seafood present without one trace of fishy smell is beyond me. A huge meal of lobster, snapper, scallops and wine was $10/person and the people watching was superb. All in all, Phu Quoc was a great choice and Long Beach Resort was solid.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave Z
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were a bit skeptical about this place before we got there, given the mixed reviews. But I must say that the place is fantastic. The architecture is brilliant. Just walking around the large and well done property is a delight. The rooms themselves are spacious and well done - each one with a nice sit out area. It has a private beach as well as a large swimming pool (although the beach is so calm and nice, that we never did go into the swimming pool). The service was very friendly (as it was everywhere in Vietnam). Breakfast was delicious. The spread was quite large with a mix of local and western flavors topped with a wide assortment of pastries.

The only downside was the lunch and dinner. It was expensive by Vietnamese standards, while the food was not great. Having said that, my recommendation would be to have the wonderful breakfast in the morning and then explore restaurants on the island for the other meals.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aniruddha K
Reviewed December 10, 2012

After a hassle-free airport transfer (we emailed the management the day before telling them our flight number), you'll find the resort is a cluster of wooden houses which lead down to a fairly secluded beach. You're surrounded by nature with chickens, moorhen and other exotic birds in the grounds, but even though it feels quite rustic all the rooms have great air-con - a unit on both floors in the suites. In a place like this biting insects are inevitable but the rooms are surprisingly secure and mozzies can't get in. We weren't bitten once while sleeping. I agree with other reviewers that the beds are hard - this was no problem for us as we both like a firm mattress, but this isn't for everybody as you'll read in other reviews. At night dogs will sometimes bark and in the early morning cockerels will crow - it disturbed my sleep a couple of times.

Our suite was more like a maisonette and on two floors. It was perfectly clean, in addition to the fantastic and entirely-wooden bathroom upstairs there was a room with a second WC on the lower level. This resort may pose a problem for people whose mobility is impaired, there are a lot of steps to negotiate both in the rooms and around the grounds, but for most people this is not an issue as long as you're careful. This especially so after it rains, when the wooden handrails get slippery. Basic tea and coffee-making kit is in the living room, and you get four largeish bottles of mineral water from the hotel free of charge every day. There is a fridge but this doesn't come stocked with beer or soft drinks by default, you have to ask for them to fill it up for you if you want it. We didn't. The wifi in the rooms wasn't the most reliable, but this is common in Vietnam and wherever you go some western sites (Facebook, BBC News) are intermittently blocked by the government. But you can often still load these sites via their smartphone apps, oddly.

As of December 2012 there's construction work taking place in the property next to the resort, Obviously beyond their control, but still annoyingly loud and it started at 7am after our first night. Initially we were in a suite in Building 8, fairly close to the construction work. We then asked to be moved to a quieter suite and the hotel arranged and executed this within 30 minutes, which I was impressed by. We were moved to an identical suite in Building 6 where it was much quieter - idyllic in fact. I have to say the Vietnamese will go out of their way to help you and put things right, but not if you're rude and aggressive toward them, and I do suspect this is where some of the more hostile reviewers of this and other hotels went wrong. I saw this a lot in Vietnam, particularly when the locals were barked at by guests and it really didn't do them any favours. There's often a language barrier and this resort is no exception.

I would imagine this construction work will continue for at least another six months. It's perhaps strange that all the suites are all situated furthest away from the beach, with the standard rooms nearer the sea. The flip side of this is you're closer to the restaurant, reception and front entrance if you're in a suite, but the suites are also closest to the construction work and I can see this annoying some people who have paid a premium. If you're in a standard room it's less likely to be a problem. That said, Phu Quoc is developing fast and it might be hard to avoid building work wherever you are.

I take issue with reviewers who say it was a 'long walk' to the beach from their rooms, even for a slow walker it's less than five minutes through some lovely and interesting gardens - many rooms are even closer. The beach is quite beautiful and mostly clean, although dogs will sometimes wander along the beach and occasionally do what dogs do. Long Beach is west-facing so you get some truly amazing sunsets. There's never much of a tide and it's super-shallow for a good thirty feet out; we don't have kids but those who did had peace of mind knowing they could paddle in the ocean safely. Compared to other parts of Vietnam there aren't many hawkers working this stretch of beach; you won't be hassled much. The service on the beach is okay but not as attentive as in other four-star Vietnamese resorts. You have to pick up your own towels from the desk by the pool, and if you want drinks or snacks you'll have to go to the bar and ask them to be brought over. It's a big pool so you can get into your stride if swimming's your thing.

Not once did we have dinner at the resort - instead opting to go into Duong Dong to eat at the wonderful night market, which you would be mad to miss out on, it's a short VND 50,000 cab ride from Long Beach. So while I can't comment on dinner, breakfast in the resort was okay; as normal in Vietnam there's a mix of southeast Asian and western food, there could have been more choice for westerners, perhaps. The restaurant is next to and indeed partly perched above a large lagoon-like pond. I would expect the restaurant to be mozzie-central in the evenings. You can also eat by the beach at night where they have a seafood BBQ which is also reasonably priced - not as cheap as the night market but still pretty good. In the daytime you can get snacks from the bar brought to your lounger at the beach or pool for lunch, and these are pretty good value actually - as an example I paid VND 115,000 (about £3/$5) for a tasty panini with chips and salad, not the cheapest by Vietnamese standards but by no means the rip-off some resorts will often extract from westerners in these situations. Drinks are about VND 40,000, again much cheaper than similar resorts.

My final word of warning concerns the BBQ restaurant you'll run into, if you turn right down the beach from the resort towards Duong Dong. It's impossible to miss as it sticks out on a little headland, you'll have to walk right past it to go any further north. It's not part of the resort but it's worth highlighting that this place ripped us off, saying that two seasonally-priced tiger prawns would be VND 150,000 - a perfectly fair price. This turned into an extortionate VND 450,000 when the bill came, they wouldn't back down and it caused an argument. You won't know the fair price for seasonal fish unless you visit the highly-competitive night market, but this in my experience was untypical of Vietnam - sure the locals will try to sell you things at an inflated price, but normally once you've bargained and the price is agreed they'll stick to it. I was extremely annoyed at the restaurant for behaving like this, they lost our custom for the rest of our holiday and frankly I hope they lose yours, too.

Overall I recommend this resort, once the construction work is finished and if they would just tweak a few minor things, it would be faultless.

Room Tip: Building 6 is close to construction work as of December 2012. We asked to be moved and ended up in...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#12 of 111 in Phu Quoc Island
Salinda Resort Phu Quoc Island
Salinda Resort Phu Quoc Island
#3 of 111 in Phu Quoc Island

Been to Long Beach Resort Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!