“More like 3*, but certainly not bad”
Review of Eden Resort

Eden Resort
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Duong To
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I honestly do not understand the bad reviews. It's obvious that Phu Quoc is not that much a luxury resort destination, if you compare it to Phuket or Samui. Therefore the hotels here are lacking that 'luxuriousness', which could be achieved if they'd put more attention to details. In Thailand, you would be offered a drink and a cold towel almost everywhere you check-in. Here in Phu Quoc - I don't think so. No pool villas, no really good spa centers (even in the most pretentious resort here - La Veranda). What I'm saying is that you should not expect much of Phu Quoc hotels, even though some of them are way overpriced. With that in mind Eden Resort is not so bad as some reviews may tell.

+ very nice garden with a small river, looks really beautiful, and even the unfinished buildings on the left side do not spoil it
+ I've read lots of negative stuff about the general attitude and friendliness towards the guests; well, maybe I am lucky, but the desk staff was very friendly, the bellboy brought our luggage to the room very quickly (and did the same on check-out, even though I forgot to ask for it), we were always greeted with a smile, so I really can't say anything bad about the staff
+ nice infinity pool, the only one of that type on the island, they say
+ nice stretch of the beach, white sand, clear sea
+ complimentary airport shuttle
+ free wi-fi everywhere (but sloooow)

- no spa, just the locals on the beach offer some cheap massage, very cheap but unprofessional
- breakfast you can miss (try mango pancakes and coffee at Alanis Deli, just 3 minute taxi ride)
- room is good, generally, but you can expect more from a 4* hotel. Everything did work, but starts to show its age. And yes, the hot water is a problem sometimes. No bathrobes, but slippers provided.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Thefall

Reviewed September 16, 2011

Not the pleasant stay I was looking forward to.No welcome drinks on arrival, balcony of room had full view of the construction site and I said I was not happy with it, but no other room was available.They continued to work till late at night. We asked for umbrellas at reception and were told not to be taken out of resort ground, unacceptable for a resort of this supposed standard.
Breakfast was good, but it would help if the bain marie's had an indication of what it contained and that when there were signs, that it was placed at the correct one.
I asked for a teabag as the tea was very weak and was told the rule was I had to pay for tea if i wanted a different tea. I just wanted a strong cup of tea!!! The restaurant supervisor was very kind when I had enough of all these little annoyances that were building up to make me not want to be there anymore.
We were moved to a suite the next day after talking to the 2nd I/C as the manager was not there.
The point is that management has to invest more time into training staff, bring BIG improvement to customer service and make people want to stay there.
The resort is very isolated and you really have to take a cab everytime you need to go somewhere else.
The gardens are looked after very well , but maintenance around the place is neglected...loose tiles in pool, rusty door handles in rooms, weather strip off the balcony room door and when it rained heavily one night, water entered the room and the carpet got wet.Service at the beach area non existent.Mattresses were wet and stacked up on top of each other , umbrellas broken.

2  Thank nunks
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Brief summary of our 3-days experience in this hotel:

NEGATIVE:
- The worst shower in our 3-weeks trip around Vietnam and Cambodia (in hotels from 15 to 20 dollars per room): it takes about 10 minutes to get hot water and without pressure
- Water enters the room through the windows when it rains
- We had to carry our luggage from reception to our room at check-in
- Staff barely speaks english (we ordered spaghetti and got pizza!!) and not very gentil
- Not enough sunbeds and very old/damaged
- Lots of damaged swimming pool tiles
- New hotel under construction 2 meters away: they work from sunrise until 1.00 AM!! Big noise

POSITIVE
+ Good room size and good sea views (room 415 which is sea-views suite)
+ Bed size
+ Nice garden

CONCLUSION: was not what we were expecting, too expensive for the quality and service offered (not a 4 stars hotel)

Room Tip: We recommend sea-views suite if you decide to go to this hotel... (even if noisy because of the cons...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpanishCoupleNP
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed for three days and the wife and I aren't really the resort type people but as it was the last days of our 3 week holiday thought we would give it a go. We had a top floor room with balcony that overlooked the sea the room was spacious and clean with everything working ie air cond etc the shower is over the bath and it took about 5 mins for hot water to come through so probably the worst shower on our trip. Bed was king and comfortable, breakfast was one of the best as far as a buffet can be. The staff were very friendly and service was second to none.We had left a camera on the plane on the way over they some how were able to track it down and get it delivered to the hotel. The resort is located a bit out of town approx 5 km so a motorbike is a must as there is no free shuttle into town and we would suggest NOT getting a motorbike from the resort as ours broke down after 20 mins and other guests had the same problem with theirs, also they charge $10 US per day and you can get them a short distance up the road for $7US. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask For Top Floor
1  Thank PaulChris275
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My party of 6 stayed here for the last 3 nights of our month long Vietnam vacation, and what a good decision it was!
This hotel is rated as 4-Star, and I think it actually is.
The facilities are gorgeous - the infinity pool overlooking the ocean, the restaurant with views of the pool and ocean, and the grand open-air lobby featuring marble, lounge furniture, and actual landscaping were very inviting.
We rented motos from the front guarded lot right at the resort.
The rooms are beautiful - we had a "standard room" and a "Jr. Suite", and we were charged $116 for each of them (an upgrade given at the desk). The standard charge for an extra bed was quoted as $30 (USD), but after explaining to the desk person that the hotel down the road (Cassia) was only going to charge us $15, they agreed to do the same.
The bathrooms are lovely, with marble counters, a big tub, and a cool little window opening out above the marble ledge of the bathtub.
Our king-size bed in the Jr. Suite was the biggest, widest bed I've ever seen, and I own a California king! The linens are wonderfully luxurious, and the bath towels appropriately sized. The pool towels are tremendous!
Air conditioners in both rooms were well powered. and each room had a nice little balcony.
The restaurant offered a complimentary breakfast buffet which was pretty good, but the lunch and dinner menus had some real treats - we repeatedly ordered the Fish & Chips, and the Chicken Fajitas (some of the best I've ever had).
Our last morning at Eden my brother and I rented a kayak and explored the little inlets just Left of the hotel when you're facing the beach... it was a lovely experience and we spotted a couple of eagles on the hunt.
Checking out and getting the bill was the low point of the stay, the bill they gave me was difficult to decipher, but the amounts were correct, so in the end it was all good.
I would definitely stay here again, but I would remember to spend more day hours at Sao Beach on the East side of the island (see My Lan restaurant on Sao Beach) - on Sao Beach the water is calm and clear and you can walk out 100 meters into the sea :-)

Room Tip: Ask to see the available rooms before you decide.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank NorCalMom1
Reviewed August 5, 2011

It really was nice to get off the aircraft, exit the arrivals hall to find a man waiting with my name held aloft. Free resort pickup (as was the departure drop off 5 days later). I'd booked through Agoda (at a really bargain rate (just over $50 - which included breakfast) and it was simply a case of enter my flight number and lo and behold someone was waiting. The resort is quite some way out of town (4.5km from the night market) but doesn't take long to get there. Check-in was fast with a welcoming refreshing drink. The room was more than adequate. The bed was very deep and extremely comfty. Other things: a flat screen LCD TV, kettle, coffee, tea plus the usual bathroom supplies, along with a hair dryer. The Mini bar was expensively priced, such I didn't use it. They also give out two small bottles of complimentary water. The room safe was very wide and deep and had a light when opened. Outside balcony was fairly big and incliuded two rocking chairs with a good view of the pool and sea.

Gremlins! No.1 Internet connection was flaky at best, indeed at one point although I could connect to the router, the internet remained elusive. Gremlin No. 2 was the room electricity card switch. This played up. Various members of the staff came, saw, played around. 3 phones calls later (over several days) and it still wasn't fixed - it would just turn itself off. It really required replacement but that wasn't on their agenda.

The pool was fine as was the restaurant. Slightly expensive but if you are staying at a place like this, expect to pay for your food. Breakfast (included) was reasonable and had plenty for most people. This hotel would also cater well for disabled people with ramps and lifts a plenty. It cost 70,000 dong to get from the resort by taxi to Duong Dong night market. It's a long walk. The gardens are nicely laid out. There is even an exercise room fully kitted out..

Be aware though they are currently extending on the right hand side of the hotel. Although there is black netting, the new buildings extends from the front right down to the pool area. I didn't hear much noise from it and in my room none whatsoever. Whether it will get worse as the work continue, who can say.

Overall I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left hand side have a nice view of the pool and the sea.
2  Thank 69bertie
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed at Eden with another family. Rooms were modern and clean with flat screens, clean, large bathroom, nice decoration and some surprise details. Service was great from welcome drinks until check out. Staffs were good overall. Buffet breakfast was mix of western and Vietnamese. For a Vietnamese recently living oversea, I think the Vietnamese part of breakfast was good while the Western was just so so (with omelet, bacon, pan cakes,..., the simplest dishes in general)

The best part of the resort is outdoor. The garden is absolutely wonderful with a lot of flowers, trees and is well kept. The beach is nearly 3 times wider than those of other central resorts. And the pool is the only infinity kind in Phu Quoc, as well as the best one in my opinion. And I did see guards at the beach/pool as well as cleaner cleaning the beach in the morning morning.

Overall, definitely recommend and will come back for sure if I go back to Phu Quoc

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
#2 of 117 in Phu Quoc Island
Famiana Resort & Spa
Famiana Resort & Spa
#13 of 117 in Phu Quoc Island

Been to Eden Resort? Share your experiences!