“Super service”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saturnia
Moscow, Russia
“Super service”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I was positivel suprized by the service in the hotel. First time I 'ave noticed the guest relation manager actively working with the guests. Very Good SPA. The food in the restaurant may be not the piece of art but very very nice. I think that the best way is to stay there around 3 - 4 days, may be it is to small for the SPA procedures but to stay longer is a little bit dull in case you are not a golf fan.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We just returned from a 2 week trip to Italy, highlighted by our stay at Hotel Terme di Saturnia. We were a little "jet lagged" upon our arrival at Saturnia, as we had flow in directly from California. Our room was super comfortable, quiet, and had a great bed and linens. Saturnia was a perfect place to unwind after nearly 24 hours of travel and the 9 hour time zone change. The big natural, spring fed thermal pool is perfect for sore airplane seat muscles.

The best kept secret is the hotel restaurant, over looking the pool. The breakfast buffet has a large variety of everything under the sun. We also had dinner one evening at the Hotel. Great fresh fish from the Mediterranean. The service and presentation were perfect. After a good overnight rest, I played a round of golf at their golf club. Great course with great scenery to distract your play!! The Golf Club Manager, Mr. Procolo Sabbatino, set me up with a set of good clubs and even played the round with me, along with the Hotel Sales & Marketing Director, Ms. Beatrice Zanchi. They are great people, worth meeting.

We took a side trip to a beautiful nearby town called Pitigliano, located about 10 miles to the east of Saturnia. It is well worth the drive to visit this midieval town, dating from 1061 (Etruscan era). It is a walled city on a high ridge overlooking a river. It is a very "walkable" town with great scenery, classic old buildings, history everywhere, and good food. We found a nice, family run restaurant on a small side street and had some really good pasta and local wine (as per usual for all of Italy). A really good evening meal, complete with pasta, salad, a side dish, bread, a glass of wine for 3 people will cost you about €50 including VAT, table service charge, etc.

Terme di Saturnia was definitely at the high end of our travel budget. But, at this point of our life (early 60's), we decided to live it up for a couple of days and it was well worth it. The setting is totally unique and the thermal pool, hotel restaurant, golf, and a perfect room with a superior bed were worth the expense. The staff and service at Saturnia were the best. I highly recommend that you consider Hotel Terme di Saturnia for at least part of a trip to beautiful Tuscany. If you like to play golf and you love various forms of Spa treatments, this is your place. We will spend a few days at Saturnia again when I visit this part of Italy. We were there in mid-September. The weather was perfect and the major summer crowds, on both the roads and at the normal tourist places were much reduced. It is a great time of year to see Italy. We have recommended Saturnia to all of our friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in a upgraded room called "executive". Worth the extra few Euros.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This hotel is an example of what is good and what is bad about the Italian hospitality industry. We had not booked in advance as the booking thru the LHW was only "fully prepaid" and I had some doubts. When we drove into the driveway, got into the lobby our response was "whow". We were shown 2 rooms and our response was "sh..".
On the threat of leaving we were promised a nice room the next day and they delivered.
The hotel has an old wing right at the pool with rooms and furnishings dating back to.... But room prices are quit modern. Ask for a room in the new wing!!
The smell of the sulphur spring is everywhere and not always pleasant, but you get used to it. The waterfalls/showers are an absolute hit!! They alone are worth the trip.
Internet did not work during several days but nobody from the staff did tell us "voluntarily", and nobody seemed to be overly concerned.
Hotel staff was really friendly and helpfull
Avoid the hotel restaurants and go to Saturnia for a really nice restaurant, da Michele. Food is great, the location right on the Piazza is great, prices are right, this is the Italian restaurant you've been looking for since ages.
There is also a great restaurant in Montemerano, it's in the Relais*Chateaux catalog.
The adjacent golf course looks deceptively easy to play but is quite tricky. It is well kept and the club house is an old shepherd shack, neat. But don't expect any culinary delights, but again, really friendly folks.

Room Tip: New wing, ground floor, junior suites is what you should aim for.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Samuel80337
Belgrade
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was a dream-like trip in which beauty of Tuscany and an impeccable resort found a perfect match. Terme di Saturnia is a premium+ spa, hidden among green slopes of Tuscan hills and under clear blue sky, half way between Rome and Sienna. Typically, one would come for an extended weekend of cosy luxury and tranquility. Treatments are based on the healing effects of planktons which are found naturally in terme waters for many years. Indoor/outdoor swimming pools, jakuzzi, waterfall massage, exclusive spa treatments, combined with the outstanding friendliness and professionalism of all staff gives an edge to the atmosphere of this place. There is a great attention to every detail and each and every guest is pampered to perfection. Cleanliness is spotless and food is Tuscany at its best. Prices are on the high end, but that comes with the territory and is worth it. For those interested, this is also a great golf resort. Terme di Saturnia are reached by car and it is much much wiser to rent one at the Rome airport, avoiding taxi services altogether. Italian friends giving a lift is another alternative, equally practical and much more elegant at that:-). Fabulous journey.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Set in a lovely location, the views of sunset from the restaurant will be remembered for a long time.

The welcome was very friendly and efficient, the room spacious and perfectly presented.

The restaurant was every bit as good as the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wynyard
Reviewed August 31, 2010

topped here for 9 nights with two teenage kids in a suite.

We will be going back, the staff throughout the hotel were second to none and made every effort to help.

The room was large and well maintained, one small gripe was the small selection of TV channels for the kids but to resolve this they put a DVD player in their room which kept them quiet.

The smell of eggs wafts through the hotel and upon your arrival but you soon get used to this and the pool is fantastic, yes its hot but it beats swimming in chemically cleaned water.

I will be back in October as we loved the surrounding area especially the small town of Saturnia with its small square and excellent eateries.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ShaunMc
barcelona
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I have been meaning to write a review for some time because from reading many of the the reviews on Trip Advisor I cannot recognize this beautiful SPA.

I find especially pernicious the opinion of the person who without ever having actually stayed in the hotel, was warned by a their B&B host to "stay away". I do not think that Trip Advisor should have printed that review. It is very true that many of the local small hotels are critical but there is such a long history of rivalry and jealousy between the major hotel and its competitors that these opinions are not valid in a review such as this.

I have stayed many times on weekends in the Hotel over the past few years when I was working in Rome. Now I have a house of my own in the area and and although I no longer need to stay in the hotel I still use the SPA regularly (2 / 3 times a week when I am in Italy). Therefore I feel very competent to both praise and criticise.

The SPA is beautiful. They facilities for massages and treatments are second to none in the world. They are not cheap. But the price quality relationship is good.

The outside pools are divided into 2. The original "Sorgente" pool which is inside the hotel area and the public pools. I use both regularly.

The public area which is very large is open 7 days a weeek. Locals pay a reduced rate.
The "Sorgente" the main thermal pool, is open to the public from monday to thursday for an extra 1 Euro. However on weekends this extra is raised to a very high amount deliberately to discourage the mass public from invading the main pool of the hotel where there are guests paying large amounts for their hotel rooms. I consider this to be a very reasonable way of keeping what is a public spa open to the ordinary local residents during the week but maintaining its exclusivity for the hotel on weekends. It is TOTALLY false to say that the hotel pool is overrun by hordes arriving on a pullman bus. Even the public pool is normally busy but quiet except maybe on the occasional saturday or sunday coinciding with a public holiday. On these days yes it is better to avoid it.

The reviewer who complained about having a massage with sheets separating them from sick people has never had a massage in Saturnia where all the "cabins" are separate rooms with all marble fittings. If there are occasionally sick people around (and I have never observed many) that is normal I think in a SPA.

The hotel is beautiful and comfortable and I have always found the staff pleasant and attentive and as a single woman I have always felt welcomed and comfortable. I even spent 5 days there at christmas a couple of years ago. The views of the main pool from the terrace are stunning. The "stench" another reviewer mentioned is a very personal reaction to the scent of the sulphurous water. I find it attractive and undoubtedly you cannot have a sulphourous termal spa without the smell.

Finally I am not an Italian although I do speak Italian and I have never felt that foreigners are treated any differently to Italians in this hotel.

The negatives. The rooms are expensive and I think the bathrooms in the main building are not up to the standard you would expect of a hotel of this category and need refurbishing. The bathrooms in the new wing are better.

Although the breakfast is very good, I find the restaurant lacking in variety (very little fish, typical of the Maremma but still.....). The quality of the restaurant has always left something to be desired (although I must admit I have not eaten there recently). Yes there is no night life in the surrounding area if that is what you want although culturally there is a lot to see and there are some really excellent restaurants.

I recommend Saturnia all the time to my friends and no one has complained (except for the price of the rooms). Yes, it is expensive but no more so than other luxury hotels.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saturnia
Hotel Saturno Fonte Pura
Complesso il Gorello
#3 of 5 in Saturnia
Hotel la Fonte del Cerro Saturnia
Residence Bartolini Ai Campi da Golf

Been to Terme di Saturnia Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!