“worth the drive”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bearsden, United Kingdom
“worth the drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We drove up from Glasgow for an overnight stay to an area we didnt know much about.
We arrived mid afternoon to a friendly welcome which was maintained during our stay.
In the Uist room which was great,Pint in the afternoon in the bar,relaxing meal with excellent food at dinner.departed after a suberb cooked breakfast.Recommended without hesitation.

2 Thank wanderer126

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our second visit and won't be our last! Rooms are very comfortable and cosy and staff are friendly and welcoming. Food is superb and well presented and the bar is perfect for relaxing in after a lovely meal. A great place for a weekend get away!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank kandgk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We arrived on Saturday for 1 night b&b, for a present bought by our children. Despite our booking form stating 11am, it was pointed out that we had to be gone by 10am., considering we had only arrived at 5pm, it seemed as if the owners wanted rid of us asap!
To the food; We had booked a table for dinner, although the menu was limited, it did appear to be good, if fairly overpriced. We felt the price was secondary if the food lived up to it's billing, sadly it did not. Pigeon and goat's cheese starters were very good, but tiny portions. main of duck breast and smoked potatoes was good but tiny amount of duck and too many pots. Steak was average, overcooked and too expensive. Cheeseboard @ £8.95 was a total rip off!
Skye room was spacious, comfortable and well appointed with a large fabulous bathroom., does come with a £10 surcharge though. Bar was good and barstaff were pleasant and efficient, especially Chris. Breakfast was a total unmitigated disaster, after not having the Haddock and poached egg choice available, we both chose the Highlander (fry-up), it was completely poisoned with salt and totally inedible! We could not eat it, and in any case had ran out of time, as the first words spoken to us as we entered the dining area was, " you must check out by 10am" Nice place, poor food, understaffed.

Room Tip: worth paying surcharge for skye room.
6 Thank Gazman05
Galley_of_Lorne, Owner at The Galley of Lorne Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Only last night (Sunday), I had a conversation with some of residents with respect to Tripadvisor. They were commenting upon our fantastic feedback and the number of five star reviews we have received. I highlighted that in the rare event that we do not receive our usual high standard of review, you can almost guarantee that writer of the review hides behind a computer to explain their apparent disappointment rather than discuss it with me face to face, whereby we are then given the opportunity to remedy the situation there and then. This of course as you are well aware is yet another one of these situations.

During the course of Saturday night, I asked on many occasions (I can think of at least four occasions where I spoke to you) whether everything was to your satisfaction. Not once did you highlight to me personally or to our staff your now apparent grievances at the time of your meal. Had you had taken the opportunity to actually tell me at the time rather than hide behind a computer screen after the event, I would have done my utmost to have resolved the situation to your satisfaction. However, I quite clearly wasn’t afforded this opportunity and in our opinion is simply cowardice.

I would also have explained that our head chef was on holiday and that a relief chef was in place looking after the kitchen, an onerous task to pick up on someone else’s menu and carry it forward to the exacting standards that most people on our Tripadvisor page have eluded too.

I am a most approachable person, again eluded to time after time in our glowing reviews. At midnight in a well oiled state in the bar is not the appropriate time to mention for the first time your apparent disappointment to our bar manager. A point at which nothing can be remedied.

Whilst I am sorry that you were not able to have your first choice at breakfast due to a supply issue with the smoked haddock, it seems that the Highlander breakfast which again has been commended on many an occasion on Tripadvisor was also not to your liking.

It now seems that during this stay very little was to your liking. for which I will of course again wholeheartedly apologise. It’s just such a shame and most disappointing that you couldn’t tell us whilst you were here.

I work tirelessly to do my utmost to give our guests a pleasurable experience and often will go beyond the call of duty to ensure so, but to this day one facet I still haven’t managed to succeed in is being a mind reader!

The statement of understaffing simply does not make sense. A bar manager and a waitress was more than adequate given the level of custom on a Saturday night in March.

It may have been worth a mention that you came here on a 5pm voucher and were lucky enough due to a cancellation that day to have the possibility of a room that night. We note that whilst you mention it was present from your children, you had failed to mention that you were supposed to have booked your stay with your voucher by 20th Jan 2014 almost two months previous and thus we in our opinion had been most accommodating. We simply didn’t have to honour your voucher, but thought that we were doing both parties a favour, the now apparent result on Tripadvisor questions whether this was a wise move on our part.

You have eluded to several times about check-out. Our official check-out time is 10:00am. This is clearly stated on our website, although we always allow some latitude. Again had I been afforded the opportunity to explain, it was 5PM’s error that 11:00am was stated as the check out time on the voucher.

Communication is the key, however it is plain to see that by not communicating with us face to face at the appropriate time resulted in an unsatisfactory conclusion for all parties.
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

You know that feeling when you watch the sequel to a film you loved and it's not quite up to the first?It can happen with holidays too, in my experience..but NOT with the Galley!My husband and I came back here in February, having stayed last year, and we were not disappointed..everything we loved about it the first time and more!Friendly, unassuming staff, lovely decor, great view, lovely food, great choice of whiskies in both bars..can't fault this place at all!We were gutted only to be staying for one night..but are booked to come back with 2 best walking chums in April, can't wait!If you live in Glasgow, this is a great place to escape to, out in the wilds, but only a couple of hours drive.

Room Tip: Depends if you want a view or it bothers you being near the function suite..until April this isn'...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights last weekend. Chris was so helpful with what to see and do. Our bedroom,Tiree,was very comfortable. The food in the restaurant was pricey but good. The only criticism I have is that the pub and restaurant could have been warmer and therefore more comfortable. Anyway, a lovely weekend,which we hope to do again.

1 Thank Ruby062
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband and I were lucy enough to receive a voucher as a Christmas present from our Daughter and partner, we went up for my husband's Birthday in February and I booked for an etra night, so glad I did!
Hospitality second to none, staff fantastic, in particular Beverly what a star!
Food amazing, rooms snug and warm, bar steeped in history and the area, Wow! even in the pouring rain ! If you are lucky enough to visit, then try to go up to the point, views to die for, even though I did fall down a bog!!!
Well worth a visit and honestly, if you are looking for a venue for your wedding, you would struggle to find a better location/venue.
We are going back up in the summer, can't wait .

Room Tip: Next time we go, we are booking the honeymoon suite, fabulous bathroom!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nancykerr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had a short break with friends and found The Galley of Lorne Inn almost by accident.
What a find great afternoon in the bar watching the rugby fantastic evening meal and a breakfast to clear the head next morning

Very quiet location with stunning views across the Loch (even though the weather was not the best it added to the atmosphere in my opinion)

Definitely recommend a short stay and this would also form a great base for exploring the West Coast of Scotland

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank ja06360
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardfern
Stonefield Castle Hotel
Loch Melfort Hotel and Restaurant
Crinan Hotel
Crinan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crinan

Been to The Galley of Lorne Inn? Share your experiences!