“What a great afternoon out in the Scottish islands”
Review of Craignish Cruises

Craignish Cruises
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Ardfern
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided wildlife and Corryvreckan Whirlpool boat trips from Ardfern,Argyll,on our new passenger boat Venturer.Two,three and four hour trips,day trips and private charter.Join 40 years experienced skipper Lindsay Johnston for a memorable trip through the spectacular scenery and abundant wildlife of this special conservation area.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

4 adults and 6 kids happy being whisked around Scarba, Jura, and the whirlpool. The crew Lindsay and Jeff were great even getting the crayons and colouring pictures out as the kids melted down. The boat is great heaps of room. Pity it was a bit sort of castles on our trip

sealeopard11, Owner at Craignish Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

We are really pleased you and your family had a lovely afternoon, we will try and organise some castles for the next time.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Took this trip with wife and kids a couple of weeks ago to be honest it was boring to say the least and over priced for what it was , its basically a glorified pleasure boat trip for a couple of hours.

It was as if the skipper was also bored, not surprised as if I did this trip everyday I would be bored to tears. It could be made much more interesting with a guide who was interested in his product as opposed to making his business work to collect money , his balance of this requires a big adjustment , not sure what the point is of saying , "we will see some eagles, oh but there are not there at the moment and I cant tell you where they are " a bit crazy really.

If you are non English speaking DO NOT DO THIS TRIP as you will understand nothing , we are English and could not understand anything the guide stated, the guide may like the sound of his own Scottish accent and how he sounds , but its not good for non Scottish people combined with engine and wind noise its terrible. He should prepare some hand outs in a few languages
[ including English ] to assist travellers.

The guide/owner/skipper is called Lindsay [--] that's who we had, I would really recommend that his business would benefit in some training in customer service skills

I noted the other reviews here but I do not agree with them and decided to share as Tripadvisor is an open forum I would not recommend this trip at all

1  Thank Roger B
sealeopard11, Owner at Craignish Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

In reply to your review, we are sorry you did not enjoy your trip with us. Regarding price, the cost of running a passenger vessel and keeping up to date with all the latest safety regulations and equipment required by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency is considerable as is the high cost of fuel, however, our prices are similar to our principal competitors and in fact are lower than some.

I am passionate about our area and its wildlife and am a W.I.S.E. Master, a member of Wild Scotland, and am involved with a number of environmental groups. Wildlife is wild and cannot be viewed to order. Every day we see different birds and animals. I never say to passengers that we will definitely see a particular species but use my local knowledge to give the best possible chance of sightings.

I have a mild Scots accent and have often been asked to speak in public due to my clear diction and have never been told before that I could not be understood. I understand that a public address system used in the outdoors can be difficult for some people to hear but as yet I am not aware of a system which would improve this.

In the eleven years I have run Craignish Cruises I have only twice before had a customer complain about a trip, one was because they did not see a dolphin and the other because the whirlpool did not meet their expectation.

If you are in our area again we would be happy to offer you a free trip.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

3 hour wildlife cruise was simply fantastic. The guys were very friendly and enthusiastic - knowing just where to go to see the wildlife and what to look out for. We even saw an otter in one of the bays, as well as minke whale, porpoises, seals and wild goats. Our party included a 7 year old and a 13 year old, both thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Binoculars provided.

Ardfern itself is a lovely spot to set off from. This is just the trip if you prefer wildlife to wild rides!

2  Thank Ewen_An12
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We headed off on our 3 hour wildlife cruise on a beautiful sunny afternoon. The boat is obviously converted to take large passengers - there were around 25 on this trip but we had ample room. We were provided with binoculers and information on the cruise. There was commentary at each site and we saw porpoises, sea eagles, seals, golden eagles a basking shark but the star of the show were the dolphins. I was sceptical that we would see anything at all but we saw the whole lot. The "skipper" Lindsay mingled with the passengers and seemed to tell stories of the local area with scottish pride. A lovely trip.

1  Thank The_Poacher992002
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We did this trip in May - there were only 5 of us booked but the boat went out anyway which is impressive as many operators of this sort would cancel. It was a fantastic afternoon - the guides knew masses of interesting local history and information and we saw wildlife in abudance. Golden Eagles, Sea Eagles, Deer, Porpoise and absolultely beautifal scenery. All of this topped of with a free cuppa and auto-focussing binoculars....brand new boat also was very well equipped and comfortable. I can't reccomend it enough

1  Thank lolabeLondon