Tripadvisor
Kilmartin
All reviews fantastic hosts pre christmas break big table grand hall r r underfloor heating first floor fresh fruit kippers other guests second to none local area two nights simo clarke whiskeys precious
Selected filters
Reviewed January 13, 2020

We were lucky enough to find a room in Kilmartin Castle in early January for a weekend away from the city. First impressions were great: a cup of tea and delicious shortbread took the edge off the drive from Glasgow airport, while the immaculate design of the castle left us wandering around trying to peer into every nook and cranny!

The hosting and amenities are some of the best we've ever experienced (despite various luxury destinations) including (in no particular order):
i) the charming company of Stef and Simon (the owners) who are a font of local information, delicious food and great conversation;
ii) the roaring fire in the grand room;
iii) the amazing decor and historic environs;
iv) delicious breakfasts (shakshuka and fresh fruit was fantastic);
v) the stunning countryside;
vi) when my partner was sick on the first evening, Stef brought a cheese plate (without us asking for a thing) which was swiftly demolished and saved the evening!

I can whole heartedly recommend you stay at Kilmartin Castle - its a great experience in a truly beautiful part of the world.

Room tip: All the rooms are great, but the full suites on the top floor (one has the shower in the tower!) are a sight to behold.
Date of stay: January 2020
Stef B, Owner at Kilmartin Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We really enjoyed having you both here. Come back anytime! Stef & Simo

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

Kilmartin castle is the perfect balance between historic architecture and luxury. A draughty, damp castle this is not! The friendly and welcoming hosts really have thought of everything - from the Bluetooth radios which allow you to unwind in your own room (the bed is the most comfortable hotel/b&b bed I have stayed in), the underfloor heating in the wet rooms, fantastic decor, the cosy grand hall where you can relax with a whiskey, not to mention the outstanding breakfasts (I will leave the daily menus as a surprise!). A truly wonderful experience. The local pub (literally 2 mins walk) has great food and drinks, no need to venture out in the car. The area has so much to offer that we will most certainly be back.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

So glad you both had fun Hayley. We would love to welcome you both back in the future Thank you for such a lovely review. Stef & Simo

Reviewed January 12, 2020

We visited Kilmartin Castle with our 4 month old baby as we needed to really get away from everything, it was the most wonderful and luxurious escape but had lots to do around it! We went for walks, and had a day trip to Oban, which was a beautiful drive away. Simon and Stef were awesome hosts and had loads of recommendations of things to do, and even booked us on a restaurant pop up night in a nearby village. They couldn’t have been more helpful. Breakfast was home cooked and delicious with a lovely atmosphere as you were eating a big table with the other guests. And if you are into art and music then that is just another reason to choose Kilmartin Castle as a hotel on your trip! Impeccable. We will definitely be back!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family

Hi Lorna,

That you so much for the wonderful review. The three of you were a pleasure to host. Stef & Simo

Reviewed January 8, 2020 via mobile

I came to Kilmartin for a one night break on 20 December to meet friends who had travelled up from England. I had a really busy period at work and was looking forward to some R&R and Kilmartin castle could not have been more perfect for it.

I drove up myself from Glasgow. It was a straightforward, easy drive - basically one road all the way up. Stef and Simon greeted me on arrival. They were amazing hosts, super friendly and they reassured me that if I needed anything all I had to do was ask and I certainly believed that. They’re also incredibly knowledgeable about the local area and can recommend lots to do if you have more time than I did!

I stayed in the room called Clarke and it was truly beautiful. Stef and Simon’s attention to detail is second to none. Under floor heating, fresh coffee, fluffy dressing gowns, lovely powerful shower, luxurious shampoo, conditioner and shower gel - perfection. I can’t skip over the underfloor heating though, I don’t know how they managed to lift up the original flooring of the castle to lay the heating and then put it back in again. It’s amazing. Such a treat to walk around a castle like that in your socks!!

After getting settled in, I met my friends for lunch in the kitchen. The kitchen is a lovely warm room, perfect for sitting and chatting over snacks.

Unfortunately for me I had to take some conference calls in my room in the afternoon. The WiFi access was absolutely fantastic. Despite being quite remote where we were it felt like I was in the office with the reception I got on those calls.

After my calls we had some pre dinner drinks in the living room in the first floor. It’s a lovely big open room that everyone fit round comfortably and the big open fire added to the cossiness. Again, Stef and Simon’s decor was just absolutely spot enough. Enough to make it make a big open room quirky, cosy and unique without going ott. I loved it.

The breakfast the next morning was absolutely amazing. So much on offer including eggs, bacon, kippers, cereals, oats, fresh fruit, washed down with some amazing coffee from Glasgow based roasters Dear Green. Stef and Simon try and source all their supplies locally and it just adds that extra special touch that sets Kilmartin apart from any other b&b I’ve stayed in the UK.

I’m afraid I’ve only got a limited number of photos. I had such a good time at the castle it literally whizzed by and I failed to capture it all. I will definitely be back again soon and will add more pictures to this review when I do.

If I could give it more than 5 stars I would.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Hey Laura,

Thanks for such a lovely review. We hope to see you back here when you have more time on your hands. Stef & Simo

Reviewed December 8, 2019 via mobile

We headed off to Western Scotland for six nights for some R & R, and to explore the waters for next years round U.K. sailing excursion, Kilmartin Castle was our last stopover after stays on Eriska Island and The Isle of Mull.

Stef and Si are great hosts, they have tastefully decorated their home to provide a very unique experience, and our two nights there were memorable

It’s not a place for anyone with mobility issues, so not all of our friends would be appreciative it if we brought them along, as the stairs cases are narrow and irregular, however that is part of the ambiance

The area is stunning, lots to see and Kilmartin Glen is beautiful.

We had some interesting discussions with guests and the owners in the local eatery and the castles communal areas about Brexit / The EU, Climate Change, Scottish Independence and globalisation, and it was good to exchange views with people on sensitive topics without anyone getting too precious, which speaks volumes about the type of guests that the venue attracts.

The only downside of the trip, was the building works going on outside the castle entrance, as we often had to wait for heavy machinery and trucks to allow us to come and go, that said, it appears that project is just about complete so that niggle should be eradicated in time for the 2020 season

A great experience, very pleased that we discovered this little gem

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We really appreciate it. You are right, that pesky building work has finished so there are no diggers blocking the way in to the castle anymore. Have a fantastic sailing trip this year. I'm sure it will be a fantastic adventure and would love to hear all about it should you be looking for somewhere to stay in Argyll again one day.