“Great food, great service, great stay!”
Review of Cairnbaan Hotel

Cairnbaan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cairnbaan
Edinburgh
“Great food, great service, great stay!”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed here for one night and had a lovely room looking over the canal. The staff were mostly young locals who were polite, helpful and attentive. For dinner I had the souffle from the very extensive specials board and it was absolutely delicious! There was a slight mix up with the main (I got breaded haddock when I meant to order poached haddock), but that was very quickly rectified and the dish was lovely. Wish I could have tried the breaded version too! My partner went for the mussles and was also very impressed. The hotel isn't particularly cheap but is definitely good value. Hope to return soon!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Marlow
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel last week and were delighted with our stay.The food in this hotel is fantastic with huge portions,a great seafood menu,I would recomend visiting this restaurant its well worth the trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed here with my friend and my son on our way to catch a ferry so that we could relax and break up the journey. The hotel has a perfect setting with boats sailing by outside on the crinan canal.
Inside we were met very quickly at the desk and efficiently shown to our rooms. My son was way up in the attic rooms, room 10 i think or 11, not much of a view but very bright. He did say that pipes rumbled a bit in the night though.
Our room was on the ground floor and a car was parked right outside and we felt we'd to have the blind down for privacy, a shame as the view was quite nice.
We had some drinks in the bar before dinner and my friend asked for tea, the tea came and my friend asked if she could have a biscuit, the waitress said she would see what was available and came back with an after dinner mint, one after dinner mint! On seeing our faces she then said she could get us some biscuits like the ones in the room - they were very nice.
The dinner menu is quite comprehensive with choices to suit most people.
I had smoked salmon with blinis, minus the blinis...came with bread. I asked about the blinis and the waiter said he'd check, he came back and said they'd run out. i asked him if he knew what blinis were, he said no, which makes me guess they never have them!!
My fish and chips was fantastic as was my friend's chicken with black pudding.
Breakfast was very nice with my boiled eggs coming with toasted soldiers in a little stack.
The hotel is a bit tatty round the edges with stains on the dining room carpet and furnishings a bit shabby chic. The staff all seem to be quite young and whilst very pleasant are a bit inexperienced.
Not sure i'd go back to stay, might pop in for food on the way past but thats it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank honeycat2307
Reviewed August 4, 2011

stayed here for one night, has seen better days,in need of a makeover. Tatty decor and if you should get room No11 your view is of roof tiles. Beakfast was ok. would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jaguar39

Travelers are raving about these Cairnbaan hotels

south queensferry
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I went here just for a coffee. I ordered a coffee and a pint for my husband. I asked if there were any caked and the man serving said there would be some "kicking about". We were sitting outside and he said he would tell the waitress to come and see me. I had finished my coffee, and was still waiting for to order the cake. We were on holiday in this area and were going to have a meal at some point here. Owing to the way we were treated would never go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Got caught out by very unclear advert for "special offer". Complained to the hotel manager but got no response, tried again and received very unsatisfactory e mail - did not even manage to get my name correct.
Hotel is in beautiful location and this is its best feature. We occupied room 11, steep climb to the top of the house and a room to be avoided if you are bothered by the noise of other peoples showers and toilets.
Housekeeping staff to to be commended as they keep the place very clean.
Food portions very generous not much choice for vegetarians and the breakfast is great if you wish the full cooked but poor choice if you want continental- no fresh fruit or yoghurt available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank milli96
scotland
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Have stayed DBB here for three years running for one night each time and are longing for our fourth. The atmosphere in the bar was so happy, the staff relaxed and professional. We said that we wanted to eat in the dining room rather than the bar and this was happily done. The food was as lipsmackingly good as ever. Our room was the same one as previous visit, so we felt quite at home as it was spacious, light and comfortable, with canal lock view.. A lovely, homely hotel,inside and out, with something on the menu and specials board for every taste:breakfast excellent too. We truly got our money's worth.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairnbaan
Stonefield Castle Hotel
#2 of 3 in Inveraray
Crinan Hotel
Crinan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crinan

Been to Cairnbaan Hotel? Share your experiences!